Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chili has to have beans.  I use two kinds of beans, hamburger, sausage, corn, celery, tomato paste, diced tomatos and a few other things.  I make good chili.
View Quote

Being from Minnesota you just don’t know. Chili has none of those things.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Why does taking beans (a disgusting cheap filler) out make it a "meat soup"?

Whatever, fucking GD.
View Quote

So it's meat in a Chilli pepper broth. What the fuck you call that? Meat soup. It is literally the fuckin definition of meat soup. Every dictionary in every Engrish speaking country would define it as meat fuckin soup.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So it's meat in a Chilli pepper broth. What the fuck you call that? Meat soup. It is literally the fuckin definition of meat soup. Every dictionary in every Engrish speaking country would define it as meat fuckin soup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, fucking GD.

That is where you are wrong. The meat is braised until the liquid is nearly gone leaving the meat coated in a rather thick pepper sauce. For fuck sake, people take pride in their fork being able to stick straight up when stuck into a bowl of proper chili. Tell me a soup that you can do that with?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By That Fucking Magazine Story:

serve in individual bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is where you are wrong. The meat is braised until the liquid is nearly gone leaving the meat coated in a rather thick pepper sauce. For fuck sake, people take pride in their fork being able to stick straight up when stuck into a bowl of proper chili. Tell me a soup that you can do that with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, fucking GD.

Holy fuckin shit, sauce versus broth. Still meat fuckin soup.

Ok sorry its not meat soup, it's meat stew. You know where you have meat in a thick sauce.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So meat soup?
View Quote

Looks like Alpo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chili has to have beans.  I use two kinds of beans, hamburger, sausage, corn, celery, tomato paste, diced tomatos and a few other things.  I make good chili.
View Quote

You make something that is almost entirely unlike chili.

You might want to stick to lefse, fried walleye, and porketta.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, i made carne adovada once and it was pretty close. But used it as filling for flat enchiladas. You might look it up
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My recipe is different, but you're correct on the beans front. Anyone who disagrees with beans must not have a chili trophy on the mantle like me.
View Quote

Getting a trophy for "chili" making in OH is lower than a participation trophy in Texas.
Chili didn't have beans
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Chili is a meat dish.
Chili is simple, with few ingredients.

Sour cream, habaneros, limes and good Lord.......sugar or molasses? GTFO.
View Quote

It is only one tablespoon and it will help  to neutralize the rawness of the dried chilies.

A tablespoon of molasses, vinegar and fish sauce will do a lot towards mellowing out a recipe like this.  Difference between being good and being great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok sorry its not meat soup, it's meat stew. You know where you have meat in a thick sauce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, fucking GD.

I guess you're almost starting to get it.

Chili is a dish of chunks of beef stewed in....wait for it....chilis!

That's what chili IS! No need for cheap filler like beans, no need for shit like tomato products, celery, corn, noodles, ect.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The recipe I use.

Any other suggestions to make it better?

No beans.
View Quote

Thread rated as “Troll” because everyone with an IQ above 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 knows chili has beans.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
First off, the whole idea that people from Texas, a state located on the East Coast, try to claim cultural ownership over chili, is just comically ridiculous. It doesn't even warrant consideration.  The state that owns the tier-one status for chili, in the United States,both red and green, is New Mexico.  Those Spaniards have been making chili stew up there for centuries, before Tejas was even a gleam in Mexico's eye.

As far as the "authentic" ingredients in chili, if you are going to push the idea to it's natural conclusion, "authentic chili" can only include ingredients that were present in the chili making countries when Chris Colombus arrived in 1492.

So beef is out.  Out in it's entirety.  No beef in pre-Colombian America.

The Meso-Americans, in the heart of chilli country did have access to venison, and javelina and domestic turkeys.  No beef, pork, chicken, horses or donkeys though.

They also had corn and beans as primary crops, and they had tomatoes (the Italians didn't yet).

Down in Inca country, who had acquired the chilli from the Mexicans, they also put chili in most of their foods, with their staple being potatoes.  They loved Guinea Pigs as a meat animal too.

My favorite chili is a New Mexico red chili made with beef and no beans. Serve it over some eggs fried over easy with a warm homemade flour tortilla.

A well-made American-style cowboy chili with beans and onions and beef is pretty tasty too.  Can't hardly beat it.

Pozole is one of the best chili dishes on a cold morning. Got a love that pork fat dissolved in that red chili broth with the hominy.

One thing I can't accept is some of this tomatoey shit like Cincinnati "chili" or any other kind of Eastern or Midwestern "chili" where chilis are not the primary flavor.  It ain't fucking chili if it doesn't taste like chilis. "But grandma don't like spicey foods!" Well fuck her, let her starve.

Any kind of good chili is chili. But if you want authentic, you can't have beef.  Beans and corn are in.

Maybe I'll try to source some Guinea Pig and Andean dried black potatoes and make a nice batch of Incan chili.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Sour cream? Lime wedges?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Here we go again
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So keep it the way it is? What should I change from this recipe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So keep it the way it is? What should I change from this recipe?
See my first post.

I’ve already converted more than a few people with this as is.

As evidenced by the morons in this thread, there's a lot of uneducated dipshits that think they know what chili is.
It's a Texas dish, not Mexican, not New Mexican, not Cincinnati.
It's a meat dish with dried chile peppers.........thats what the fucking CHILE can CARNE translates to. It's not Chile con carne y frijoles. Or mushrooms, corn, molasses, etc. It MAY contain tomatoes, thats certainly an ingredient used in Texas chili dating back to the Chili Queens.

Bell pepper, fresh jalapenos, habaneros? No. A bowl of red ain't got green or orange flecks, bits or chunks.

Feel free to add whatever shit you want, just understand you ain't making chili, but a stew of stuff assembled from the grocery store that some idiot Yankee thought might taste good. As evidenced by this thread, there's more than a few including the idiots who wrote your recipe for Texas chili......and the authors of your recipe aint from Texas, but New York. That's called a hint that the recipe lacks authenticity.

Like your Philly cheesesteak with mayonnaise and lettuce? Well good for you but that aint authentic and ain't a Philly cheesesteak.
Like your lobster roll with crab? While it may LOOK somewhat like a Maine lobster roll it aint a lobster roll.
Like Jambalaya made with sliced hot dogs and okra? Dude, that ain't Jambalaya.

If you want a good recipe it ain't hard to find. Recipes from CASI Chili Champions
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One more time for the slow people: CHILI is meat with spices and does not resemble soup or sauce in any way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/Chili_-_Any_Questions-1871078.jpg

View Quote

Our man Zhukov knows what's up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Minus onion
Minus garlic
Minus sugar
Minus vinegar

Instead substitute a decent gochujang (Korean chili sauce) equal to sugar plus half.  Time saving as it combines those for you and enhances the chili flavor as well.
View Quote

Onion and garlic are traditional Texas chili ingredients. Sugar is not.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chili has beans.
View Quote

Washington wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you want a good chili recipe for beginners, look up the Wazzo Tailgate chili recipe online. It’s actually pretty solid.

And yes on the ground cumin.
View Quote

I would be embarrassed to serve that as chili.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Might as well just buy a can of spaghetti sauce from the dollar store.
View Quote

If the addition of beans to spaghetti sauce makes something close to what you think “chili” should be like, I feel sorry for you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No you don't, you didn't make chili.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what chili IS! No need for cheap filler like beans, no need for shit like tomato products, celery, corn, noodles, ect.
View Quote

We had a vote. Texas hereby grants Bigtwin honorary Texan status.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you don't.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m not a Texan, and have only had “Texas chili” a few times - so definitely not an expert here.

That doesn’t even look like chili to me. That looks like beef curry.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a bowl of sadness and fail!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
See my first post.

As evidenced by the morons in this thread, there's a lot of uneducated dipshits that think they know what chili is.
It's a meat dish with dried chile peppers.........thats what the fucking CHILE can CARNE translates to. It's not Chile con carne y frijoles. Or mushrooms, corn, molasses, etc. It MAY contain tomatoes, thats certainly an ingredient used in Texas chili dating back to the Chili Queens.

Bell pepper, fresh jalapenos, habaneros? No. A bowl of red ain't got green or orange flecks, bits or chunks.

Feel free to add whatever shit you want, just understand you ain't making chili, but a stew of stuff assembled from the grocery store that some idiot Yankee thought might taste good. As evidenced by this thread, there's more than a few including the idiots who wrote your recipe for Texas chili......and the authors of your recipe aint from Texas, but New York. That's called a hint that the recipe lacks authenticity.

Like your Philly cheesesteak with mayonnaise and lettuce? Well good for you but that aint authentic and ain't a Philly cheesesteak.
Like your lobster roll with crab? While it may LOOK somewhat like a Maine lobster roll it aint a lobster roll.

If you want a good recipe it ain't hard to find. Recipes from CASI Chili Champions
View Quote

You think chili isn’t Mexican or New Mexican?

Who do you think invented it and who brought it to Texas?

That’s assertion is seriously ignorant, in the actual meaning of the word.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Won’t be “actual chili” until you remove the meat too.
View Quote

Educate thyself son.
Chili = chile con carne......chile peppers with meat.
Chile is a pepper all by itself.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've never heard anyone say that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowl o' red?
Yeah, I've never heard anyone say that.

Go to Terlingua or Tolberts and you will.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Son, iffin you got "broth", you have indeed made soup.
Chili doesn't have "broth".

For fucks sake. Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any stupider.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ok sorry .....
View Quote

Too late.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It is only one tablespoon and it will help  to neutralize the rawness of the dried chilies.

A tablespoon of molasses, vinegar and fish sauce will do a lot towards mellowing out a recipe like this.  Difference between being good and being great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chili is a meat dish.
Chili is simple, with few ingredients.

Sour cream, habaneros, limes and good Lord.......sugar or molasses? GTFO.

Oh good lord.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Educate thyself son.
Chili = chile con carne......chile peppers with meat.
Chile is a pepper all by itself.

View Quote

So, I can see logic or critical thinking isn’t your strong suit when it comes to chili.

You’ve basically checkmated yourself.

If “chili con carne” is a thing, than “chili sin carne” is a thing too. By your definition the chili is “with meat,” the chili is a different named thing than the meat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One more time for the slow people: CHILI is meat with spices and does not resemble soup or sauce in any way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/Chili_-_Any_Questions-1871078.jpg

View Quote

Proper chili is a damn fine meat stew.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an honor and my pleasure.
I didn't even have a speech prepared for this award. So I'll leave you with this:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Chili has to have beans.  I use two kinds of beans, hamburger, sausage, corn, celery, tomato paste, diced tomatos and a few other things.  I make good chili.  a stew
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I never had a recipe or measurements, just kind of do whatever looks ok.

-Tri Tip/ London Broil
-Chorizo
-Lots of fresh and dried chilis/peppers
-Garlic
-Onion
-Beer
-Beef Broth
-Cumin
-Chili powder
-Smoked paprika

I've tweaked the same recipe and have added black beans, kidney beans, and fire roasted tomatoes. I've never had a complaint on either.

Some of y'all are so worried about beans/no beans or recipe authenticity, you never consider to think if it actually tastes good
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
First off, the whole idea that people from Texas, a state located on the East Coast, try to claim cultural ownership over chili, is just comically ridiculous.
It doesn't even warrant consideration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
First off, the whole idea that people from Texas, a state located on the East Coast, try to claim cultural ownership over chili, is just comically ridiculous.
It doesn't even warrant consideration.

Factually false on pretty much everything your wrote.

The state that owns the tier-one status for chili, in the United States,both red and green, is New Mexico.  Those Spaniards have been making chili stew up there for centuries, before Tejas was even a gleam in Mexico's eye.

"chili stew"? Thats redundant. "Chili" is a chile and meat stew, not necessarily the same thing as a "chile stew" which can be whatever the Californians in Taos want to put in it.
As far as your pride in "New Mexico"

As far as the "authentic" ingredients in chili, if you are going to push the idea to it's natural conclusion, "authentic chili" can only include ingredients that were present in the chili making countries when Chris Colombus arrived in 1492.

So beef is out.  Out in it's entirety.  No beef in pre-Colombian America.

The Meso-Americans, in the heart of chilli country did have access to venison, and javelina and domestic turkeys.  No beef, pork, chicken, horses or donkeys though.

They also had corn and beans as primary crops, and they had tomatoes (the Italians didn't yet).

Down in Inca country, who had acquired the chilli from the Mexicans, they also put chili in most of their foods, with their staple being potatoes.  They loved Guinea Pigs as a meat animal too.

Well, horseshit.
"Chili" as invented in Texas, by the Chili Queens of San Antonio, DOES have beef. Always has. While your pre Columbian, Meso American, Inca Denny's menu may not have had beef.........no one gives a shit because no one in Texas has ever claimed anything as silly as that. WE FUCKING KNOW when beef was introduced to Texas dude.

My favorite chili is a New Mexico red chili made with beef and no beans. Serve it over some eggs fried over easy with a warm homemade flour tortilla.

It's New Mexico red chile......with an "E". That you don't know the difference is funny, because my NM buddies are always sure to spell it correctly.

Pozole is one of the best chili dishes on a cold morning. Got a love that pork fat dissolved in that red chili broth with the hominy.

Pozole is pozole, not chili.

One thing I can't accept is some of this tomatoey shit like Cincinnati "chili" or any other kind of Eastern or Midwestern "chili" where chilis are not the primary flavor.  It ain't fucking chili if it doesn't taste like chilis. "But grandma don't like spicey foods!" Well fuck her, let her starve.

Sadly, most Yankees think this. I pity them for a lot of things.  

Any kind of good chili is chili. But if you want authentic, you can't have beef.  Beans and corn are in. Maybe I'll try to source some Guinea Pig and Andean dried black potatoes and make a nice batch of Incan chili.

Historical facts prove you wrong.
"Chili" as in "chile con carne" isn't Mexican, Incan, Mesothelioman or related to any dish served south of Texas. We've known that for decades. It's Texan, popularized by the Chili Queens of San Antonio. While undoubtedly they were influenced by their culture in the ingredients they used....they sure as hell didn't include bean, corn, rice or any of that other shit.......because its a meat dish.

Now go read a book on chili.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#47]
No beans? Sour cream?
The communists outs himself.
This is biden’s recipe for russian collusion stroganoff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See my first post.

Chili is a Texas meat dish.
Not necessarily the same thing as other dishes made with chile peppers.
Read a book or two on chili why dontcha....I have.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Whatever, fucking GD.
View Quote

Because Chili done right doesn't need 4 cups of broth. It needs a home made chili paste from a variety of chilis and a little of the chili water(like 1/4 cup if that) you used to hydrate the chilis before making the paste.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So, I can see logic or critical thinking isn’t your strong suit when it comes to chili.

You’ve basically checkmated yourself.

If “chili con carne” is a thing, than “chili sin carne” is a thing too. By your definition the chili is “with meat,” the chili is a different named thing than the meat.
View Quote

"chili con carne" is redundant.
So, I can see logic, critical thinking AND spelling ain't your strong suit when it comes to chili.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top