Quoted:
" I'm OKAY with this "
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh please!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Would still leave homeless with no place to store or cook meals. How to solve that?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don’t little kids need higher fat content for brain development?
View Quote
Humans don't actually need milk after weaning. Natural fats are actually healthier for everyone, so there'll need to be chicken and pork and other natural fats foods.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill believe it when I see it
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a good start.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Entitlements must be cut, drastically. This is a good start, should eliminate lots of fraud.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would still leave homeless with no place to store or cook meals. How to solve that?
View Quote
How do they do it now? How do they get their government handouts w/o an address?

there would still be shelters and soup kitchens.

If they get banned from those places, it's often because of drug abuse or other criminal activity. More often than not, true homeless often have mental issues that will keep them from shelters, voluntarily or involuntarily.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Never going to happen with all of the companies getting kickbacks from supporting SNAP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
... corrections to the widespread abuse needs to be corrected in some manner - I support this
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, it's like they're reading my mind!

(I still want them to use Firefly style food bars though:  https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp4f9c7267d77c11.98271761/Firefly-Alliance-Food-Bar-1.jpg)
View Quote
Feed a family of four for a month longer if they don't like their children

But is it alliance marked?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
They could take it to the local shelter to be pooled with others.

There's a "feeding station" in the downtown area here. I'm not sure who's providing the funding but it went from a cook tent to a full-on building in a year. Now it's a traffic hazard since the "patrons" tend to loiter around, clog the sidewalks, and wander in the streets because they can't be horked to walk to the crosswalk to get to the bus station across the street.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#15]
California offers the Restaurant Meals Program in many different counties! Each county makes their own rules
Restaurants that accept EBT include:

Burger King

Carl's Jr.

Church's Chicken

Del Taco

Denny's

Domino's Pizza

Great Steaks

Jamba Juice

KFC

Pizza Hut

Subway

Wienerschnitzel

EBT ain't going anywhere
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Make government cheese great again !!

(Makes awesome grilled cheese sammitches BTW).
View Quote
The best grilled cheese ever!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
A dedicated aisle for SNAP benefits, walled off from the rest of the store, with a dedicated "check out" lane - with an old school Kmart blue light special flashing beacon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Sounds like they still would be able to get the good stuff, steak, chicken, fish.
View Quote
I would rather them eat steak and fish, than Cheetos, hungry mans, and coke. Keep my insurance costs down. Shit... force them to eat lean beef, chicken, fresh vegetables, everything to keep those pounds off, and out of the ER.

Besides, if you can order it at Dennys, it’s not exactly luxary food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No, most of the problem is too many hoes getting the seed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeds and a hoe.
No, most of the problem is too many hoes getting the seed.
Haha! nice!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I 100% support this.

It's not THE solution, but it would represent a step in the right direction.  If your goal is to truly provide food as a welfare, then it shouldn't be able to be abused to purchase extremely expensive things or empty calories.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But but but but but but but how will they sell their food stamps for a new 65" tv?!

View Quote
They'll just sell the food instead of the food card.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Depending on how the food is delivered this one simple trick could end ghetto food deserts forever.  MAGA giving 'urban food activists' exactly what they deserve albeit not what they want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Depending on how the food is delivered this one simple trick could end ghetto food deserts forever.  MAGA giving 'urban food activists' exactly what they deserve albeit not what they want.
View Quote
Bam.

In my nearby city with a hood issue, they have forbidden any more $ stores.  The dollar stores LOVE the SNAPies selling crap food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Hking: Hey if we are feeding them we might as well dictate what they are eating. Come up with something like "HelloFresh / BlueApron" but more simple and cheaper for people on the benefits, its everything for a full meal in a box/bag, all the spices and stuff too all you gotta do is chop it up and cook it. Good healthy meals, not just cheap slop, and make it so they pick it up at their local city/town hall or welfare office once a week. Could be done for a fraction of what SNAP and current EBT programs cost.

But it will be called racist because they cant buy sodas and snickers bars for their 19 kids and they will say its not enough food and they will say "dey gonna starve" while weighing 400 pounds. How is Jamal supposed to survive on nothing but oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, a school lunch in the afternoon, and chicken with rice and a vegetable at dinner?
View Quote
It will be a shock for damn sure.  Judging from my time in Ocala, Gainesville, and Jacksonville (Florida), many of those people on food stamps have never eaten fresh vegetables or fruit.

Hey man, I get my vegetables by drinking the coke made from corn syrup.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell yes.  Do it, for the love of god, do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
They should also adopt a policy of:

If you get caught selling it, mandatory 10 years and loss of the program for life.
If you get caught buying it, mandatory 10 years and $100,000 fine
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In what would be one of the biggest shakeups of the U.S. food-stamp program in its five-decade history, President Donald Trump is proposing to slash cash payments and substitute them with "100 percent American grown food" given to recipients.

The changes, outlined Monday in Trump's budget proposal, would reshape the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, which supports roughly one in eight Americans, by reducing cash spending by about one-third from current levels.

The plan is part of an effort to reform SNAP and save a projected $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box "is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is home grown by American farmers and producers," Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement. The program would provide food-stamp recipients with "the same level of food value" as the current system, Perdue added.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/trump-budget-swaps-food-stamps-for-100-percent-american-food
View Quote

Cool. More welfare for farmers. Never get them off the public tit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But they need their 40 and a mule first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeds and a hoe.
But they need their 40 and a mule first.
Most would sell their 40 acres and a mule for a Mustang 5.0 with some dubs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#31]
This idea is historic if for no other reason than the unusual amount of agreement it has garnered within GD.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Its amazing how sound Trump's ideas are.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seeds and a hoe.
View Quote
Much better right here
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Better short Monster and Red Bull stock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a good start.

Should stop cash payments entirely and set up a program similar to the British World War II rationing system.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#36]
taught in Western Cook county for 12 years. None of my students appeared to have even a passing knowledge of what constituted healthy eating. A balanced meal for them started out with massive bag a of flaming hot cheese curls, half a six pack of Pepsi or Tab, and rounded off with little chocolate donuts for fiber.........The healthy meals given to them through the lunch program all ended up in the trash except the chocolate milk and potato chips.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its amazing how sound Trump's ideas are.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fucking awesome. This is what the program should have been all along.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Put the distribution center right next to the job office.
View Quote
!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Seeds and a hoe.
View Quote
Dude, that's why one in eight people are on food stamps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bill it as blue apron for poor people. Look gourmet food delivered directly to your door.
View Quote
+1
its all about how you spin it.
fresh food is healthier for you than canned food. And tastes better.

I don't mind the hand up if people need it; but like some of the other examples some of the recipients are driving nicer vehicles than I am, eating better than I am, and a wad of cash.  And I have a decent job.
I was raised poor and we sure were qualified to receive it; but my mother never took it.
We ate a lot of dried beans, rice, and potatoes.  
Funny when I started working offshore; it was wow, these guys put a whole lot of meat and sausage in their beans.
I'll eat beans as a side dish; and if its the only thing on the menu, I'll eat a couple squares of cornbread and a small cup of beans.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#42]
They really need to do something to fix the rampant abuse of that program. I think it should be run more like Wic, where only certain foods are allowed to be purchased and they have to have nutritional value.

Just last night I went to get gas and a sprite for my wife and saw the same shit I used to see all the time when I worked at a gas station in my teens. Guy with TN tags on his hooptie, with 44in spinner rims is inside with his crotch fruit. He tells the kid he can have 2 bags of chips and a candy bar and soda, and he has a bunch of drinks and shit in his hands. He pays using a VA snap card for all the junk food, and then pulls out a wad of cash to buy gas, 100 bucks of lotto tickets and a couple of beers.

That kinda shit really pisses me off.

The one that would cause my blood pressure to raise was a fucking 300+ lb woman who would come in first thing in the morning when I worked at a local gas station. She got the same thing every fucking morning, which was a 1ltr Dr Pepper and two king size Reese's Cups and use her Snap card to pay for that, and then blow over 100 in various lotto scratchers. She did that every single fucking day of the month. You do the math and she was spending over 3 grand a month on lotto tickets (she would win sometimes, and then trade them in for more tickets until she lost all gains)

Why the fuck should I be paying for her fucking candy and soda, when she spends more on the lotto every month then most people who pay for her to snack, make in a month around here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#43]
fuck yeah... cheese , rice, and a fucking bag of potatoes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Poverty Inc will feel a great disturbance in their funds, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly faced with working."
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes DOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#46]
MAGA
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Gas station stocks are gonna get crushed by this.

No more flaming hot Cheetos and Red Bull purchases with my tax dollars.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FUCKING MAGA
View Quote
I have been saying this for years.  Why not have state run stores, shipping, and farms that employ the people with no jobs and food stamps can only be used there.  Right now stamps are a black market form of currency
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I can see the riots now.

Implement the program, quietly pull all LEO patrols from high food stamp usage areas and set up a perimeter, and watch the world burn.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#50]
open ended purchases with food stamps are bullshit...

the ONLY things they should buy is, rice, beans, potatoes, and cheap assed chicken.   that's fucking it.  zero lobster, zero soda, zero junk food,  zero cash , etc.

rice, beans, potatoes, and fucking chicken.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top