Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3297 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
Can anyone speak to how much of this Soledar operation is in keeping with Russian doctrine?

It seems they have done a decent job of the wall of zombies wearing down defenders and most importantly tossing more waves of zombies after success.

Eventually defenders need to sleep, rotate, or fail. These 8 man drip attacks followed by more drip attacks and focused shelling of located Ukrainian positions has to be thoroughly exhausting for the defense. At some point they have to be too exhausted to continue, or they have to rotate, at which point another 8 man goon squad is still attacking.

It seems like a brutally cynical way to wear down defenses, achieve some kind of success, and prevent one-off mass assault slaughters with rest in between each wave for the defenders.

It seems they’ve been tweaking tactics and it is allowing some level of success. Sustainable? Who knows.
View Quote

This is the kind of situation FASCAM and 155mm ADAM were made for.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

Fun infographic.

Makes me sick to learn that we named a carrier after McCain though.
View Quote

Not a carrier, a destroyer/cruiser or something and it was named after his grandfather and father who were both admirals.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
20 min ago.

Salt is salt, they are faking claims of capturing the Soledar salt mine as of yet.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

Even a shitty D30 can achieve first-round-fire-for-effect if the five elements of accurate predicted fire are achieved - accurate target location and size, firing unit location, weapon and ammunition information, met information, and computational procedures.

Barring that, capable observer/FDO teams can FFE after one or two adjusting rounds, giving enemy forces minimal time to find cover.

View Quote

I can't speak to all of those elements, but we know they have ammo supplies from all over the place, and we don't know how good their training for FO's is. I also think that some of our donated M777s had their "boxes" removed before being sent, don't some of those have to do with receiving Met data before firing?

All I am saying is, they are probably running backwards uphill in a number of respects. "Free" donated ammo is especially cheap to them when they want to stay in one piece.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:

View Quote

This is true it appears; I saw pics of Russian units this morning with some kitted in the Ukr cammo, head to toe.  I didn’t save the pics, though.

Originally Posted By weptek911:

Not a carrier, a destroyer/cruiser or something and it was named after his grandfather and father who were both admirals.
View Quote

Yes and worth noting - John “Slew” McCain was a real hot-shot and pioneer in carrier aviation. He ran the air war over Guadalcanal, and also had Marc Mitscher’s job at Okinawa - command of all fast carriers.  Very trusted and capable.  His son John “Jack” McCain was ComPac during much of VietNam - e.g., Halsey’s job.  These were big guys in WWII and the Cold War navy.  John Jr. fell a little further from the tree in some ways…
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
13 min ago.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

A lot of people can't grasp the concept that there are people in this world that aren't afraid to leave the comfort zone and do something to bring about changes. People here are sick of any corruption. Many of the youth leave for places like Poland to work. Of course they want to be a part of Europe and have more opportunities here at home. They made that clear in Maiden.

When this war really kicked off i was overwhelmed to see how many people showed up to volunteer. The military office was packed, the park that became a volunteer center was packed. It was full of cars and trucks full of donations of clothes and food, thousands of people, classes on making Molotovs, people volunteering to serve. Despite what was happening, it was the most calm and organized effort. I was truly shocked how everyone kept their heads. It is a stark difference from what I would expect in America these days.

I love America, but many Americans have become too comfortable. They show this in their disbelief, that people exist in this world that will stand up for their beliefs.
View Quote

I've said this before but Ukraine is acting more American than America.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

They lose any Geneva Convention protections doing that. Summary executions for any they capture.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#11]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

They lose any Geneva Convention protections doing that. Summary executions for any they capture.
View Quote

Here’s an actual video of Wagner guys, one conspicuously in full Ukr gear, giving an interview.  This vid clip is edited down to focus on him:

I *heard* they were using it tactically - to confuse Ukraine defenders.  OTOH, they could be so desperate they are using captured stores.  But they aren’t mixing the gear it appears but rather consciously kitting out a few in full Ukr gear.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Awesome! Just down the road from me
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Here’s an actual video of Wagner guys, one conspicuously in full Ukr gear, giving an interview.  This vid clip is edited down to focus on him:

I *heard* they were using it tactically - to confuse Ukraine defenders.  OTOH, they could be so desperate they are using captured stores.  But they aren’t mixing the gear it appears but rather consciously kitting out a few in full Ukr gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They aren't wearing ID color bands either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Rorschach test?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Here's an actual video of Wagner guys, one conspicuously in full Ukr gear, giving an interview.  This vid clip is edited down to focus on him:

I *heard* they were using it tactically - to confuse Ukraine defenders.  OTOH, they could be so desperate they are using captured stores.  But they aren't mixing the gear it appears but rather consciously kitting out a few in full Ukr gear.

UA SOF doesn't wear bands, no ID, no rank, and maybe 1 phone
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Wagner has already proven they should not make it out of this alive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OBird] [#18]
Originally Posted By R0N:

So you want to argue over the degree?  Fine the US was only a little bit pregnant
View Quote

Two things:

1) That’s not a fair comparison; pregnancy is an objective, binary, yes-or-no condition, like being dead vs alive or male vs female. “Involvement” in something is a subjective, gradient condition. For example, I am technically “involved” in the earth’s revolving around the sun, and “influencing” the US presidency by voting. That doesn’t mean I set the length of a year, or have any more impact on who is president than any other voting citizen.

2) I’m not exactly sure what point you’re making, but it seems to be moot regardless. Let’s assume, for a moment, that the CIA was the mastermind behind maidan. So they succeeded in helping Ukraine get rid of a Russian puppet (or at least “Russia-accommodating”) president, and replaced with someone else. So what? Doesn’t mean Russia can just start lobbing cruise missiles at Ukraine. Would Iran suddenly have the moral standing to invade Iraq, just because a third party (like Israel) helped orchestrate a revolution to get Iranian-influenced politicians out of power in Iraq? It’s pointless quibbling, even IF Russian propaganda was right. I don’t get the point of even really bringing it up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
8 min ago.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Russia itself says Wagner is illegal and non-military.

At best, they qualify for AQ and Taliban treatment under international law.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Here's an actual video of Wagner guys, one conspicuously in full Ukr gear, giving an interview.  This vid clip is edited down to focus on him:

I *heard* they were using it tactically - to confuse Ukraine defenders.  OTOH, they could be so desperate they are using captured stores.  But they aren't mixing the gear it appears but rather consciously kitting out a few in full Ukr gear.
View Quote

Yeah, since they're even having crowdfunding campaigns in Russia to get their troops ECW gear. It is reasonable to think they're raiding some abandoned Ukrainian positions or dead Ukrainians for better cold weather gear.

Entirely different though if it's to confuse the Ukrainian forces.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This is common tactic by Wagner and Khadyrovites. I could see it being a thing
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Yeah, since they're even having crowdfunding campaigns in Russia to get their troops ECW gear. It is reasonable to think they're raiding some abandoned Ukrainian positions or dead Ukrainians for better cold weather gear.

View All Quotes

Turkey and Belorussia were making Ukrainian camo and uniforms, also patches etc before. I don’t think they are capturing large stores but could pull off captured guys too. However it only works once or twice. Unfortunately I ran into this in March. Heightened who the fuck are you and confusion. The need for mil passports etc that take weeks and a contract etc. slows reserve movements.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Some of you would argue about how brown a turd is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#26]
G. C. From MI boxes received and appreciated

Will fill in once the stuff goes out! Might get rerouted to Soledar unfortunately but that’s what we do. Bhakmut and Soledar are same general supply route so no big deal there.

Mila says 🙏

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

But we are being told that the 25mm will punch clean through the turrets on the Missouri...

iirc the Brad gunner can switch ammo types he will shoot. Can it switch back and forth between HEI and the APDS?
View Quote

There are two feed chutes, one for the HEI-T and one for APFSDS-T.  Loading them is a pain in teh ass and will slice your hands. Feed chutes are sharp.

You flip a switch and it will fire whatever round is next up, then the round you selected.
The feedchutes run back to the ammo cans under the dismounts floorboards.

Obviously there are ballistics algorithms associated with different trajectories.

HEI-T is really effective for punching HE rounds into the face of a defender and you can keep it right in front of the trench clearing guys...closer then a tank, obviously.  SO the sweet spot is 400 meters.  Outside of RPG-7 range but close enough you can punch HEI to help clear teh trench...or COAX if you are really cutting it close.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
So you want to argue over the degree?  Fine the US was only a little bit pregnant
View Quote

What an incredibly simpleminded statement.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#29]
Can anyone speak to how much of this Soledar operation is in keeping with Russian doctrine?

It seems they have done a decent job of the wall of zombies wearing down defenders and most importantly tossing more waves of zombies after success.

Eventually defenders need to sleep, rotate, or fail. These 8 man drip attacks followed by more drip attacks and focused shelling of located Ukrainian positions has to be thoroughly exhausting for the defense. At some point they have to be too exhausted to continue, or they have to rotate, at which point another 8 man goon squad is still attacking.

It seems like a brutally cynical way to wear down defenses, achieve some kind of success, and prevent one-off mass assault slaughters with rest in between each wave for the defenders.

It seems they’ve been tweaking tactics and it is allowing some level of success. Sustainable? Who knows.
View Quote

Its the sort of things Russians do, but it is not written down. SO no, it isn't doctrine.

In general, patrolling to identify positions and pound them with HE is everyone's doctrine...the suicidal squad attacks aren't accomplishing anything.  

Sending a patrol forward to ID a position, losing a soldier or two, then pounding that newly discovered position with HE and killing a dozen is a brutal way of doing it, but numbers don't lie.  

In the US Army an attack on a trench is a platoon task.  You need 20 guys to shoot at the bad guys to pin them down. Squads don't generate enough firepower to pin anyone down and close with the trench.

I think night attacks may work better, also. No matter how good night vision is, it cant be much worse then a daylight frontal assault. Crawl up at three in the morning and rush with automatic weapons and grenades, trench raid style. There have been periods of no moon that would have worked better then broad daylight over the last few weeks.

A frontal daylight assault on a trench is really the 1st percentile of tactics. Anything is better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]

It seems they've been tweaking tactics and it is allowing some level of success. Sustainable? Who knows.
View Quote

He says Wagner forces are used as cannon fodder to find weak links and then professional soldiers are sent to those positions.
10 Jan: Ukrainians FACE THE HARDEST DECISIONS | War in Ukraine Explained

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#31]

Turkey began sending Ukraine a form of U.S.-designed, artillery-fired cluster bomb in late 2022 after months of Kyiv pleading with the Biden administration for the munitions, current and former U.S. and European officials familiar with the decision told Foreign Policy, giving Kyiv a powerful—but controversial—weapon to destroy Russian tanks and kill troops on the battlefield.

The NATO ally began sending the first batches of so-called dual-purpose improved conventional munitions (DPICMs) in November 2022, which were made during the Cold War era under a co-production agreement with the United States.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#32]

This is the kind of situation FASCAM and 155mm ADAM were made for.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/m692_m731_adam_usafas.jpg
View Quote

Mmmm hope the orcs like cheese!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'm thinking we may have seen a video of a strike using one of these in late December? We sort of said, "That looks like clusters but surely not."
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I think night attacks may work better, also. No matter how good night vision is, it cant be much worse then a daylight frontal assault. Crawl up at three in the morning and rush with automatic weapons and grenades, trench raid style. There have been periods of no moon that would have worked better then broad daylight over the last few weeks.

A frontal daylight assault on a trench is really the 1st percentile of tactics. Anything is better.
View Quote

agree.  it's like infantry 101.  depart after dark moving as slow / stealthfully as possible to get into position.  attack at bmnt.  but that necessitates a bunch of infantry skills that may be lacking (by both sides) at this point in the war.      
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Interesting. I wonder which country they're importing the parts from? Looks like they've got a pretty good assembly line going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By vahog:

I'm thinking we may have seen a video of a strike using one of these in late December? We sort of said, "That looks like clusters but surely not."
View All Quotes

That was an Israeli cluster mortar round.  This will hurt more.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

He says Wagner forces are used as cannon fodder to find weak links and then professional soldiers are sent to those positions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQA0uoPWYU
View Quote

Not at all surprising. The prisoners with wagner have no value.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Some of you would argue about how brown a turd is.
View Quote

Are you saying that all turds are brown? Beware of brown poop echo chambers

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I used to enjoy his insight on artillery, foreign policy is not his forte so I just ignore it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

That will save some lives, for sure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Better late than never.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Not to put too fine point on it, but basically it’s a Roshak test for intellectual honesty, for months any talk of the US being involved was Russian propaganda.  Now, it’s the US was involved but the degree was so small it’s immaterial.  It’s like arguing about the degree of pregnancy.  

View Quote

I followed the events real time, the people got pissed when the EU deal was scrapped and a deal done with russia against the people's will. If the us orchestrated that, they are way better than I give them credit for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#46]
I guess Russians have put bounties on Brads? Lol, we(USA) live rent free in their heads. At the same time, I guarantee they're saying American equipment is junk compared to Rooshia Stronk AFVs. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By absael:
Better late than never.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By absael:

Better late than never.

this slow roll is bs mismanagement
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Not to put too fine point on it, but basically it’s a Roshak test for intellectual honesty, for months any talk of the US being involved was Russian propaganda.  Now, it’s the US was involved but the degree was so small it’s immaterial.  It’s like arguing about the degree of pregnancy.  

Please cite one factual, credible source that the US organized the Maidan uprising.  Really want to know.

As usual, talking points with no backup.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#50]

If Russia really was at war with NATO, we'd have had American servicemen throwing parties inside the Kremlin a long time ago.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3297 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top