Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3905 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CS223:
I can tell you from personal experience that Russian ball bearings are some of the worst POS bearings there are. Chinese are bad enough but Russian are beyond garbage, scrapped hundreds of dollars worth new in the wrap.
View Quote

Just like trains, tanks are too heavy for ball bearings, they will use cylindrical roller bearing or conicam roller bearings. Knowing what cheap asses the russian swines are it would not surprise me to find ball bearings tho with an extremely short life.

And yes, FAG/SKF all the way for any bearings. The Chinese shit is just that and the ruZZian crap is unbearable LOL
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]

ATACMS cough cough

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Opinions differ on that.
My opinion is that we’re grinding Russia to powder, and to do so it’s best to keep the game close so that Putin always just needs to put a bit more in to think he can win.
If we’d handed Ukraine 50 HIMARS on 2/25/22 Putin would’ve gotten the message and Russia wouldn’t be in the midst of refurbing T55s for target duties in Ukraine.
This war will end when we decide it ends, hopefully only when Russia’s many subject peoples unsheathe their knives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strykr:
Originally Posted By ILfreedom:

I would not assume Nato support for Ukraine will end. From Nato's perspective they are destroying Russia's capability to wage war on them at a relatively low cost. No Nato infrastructure is being destroyed and no Nato soldier is dying. There is no cheaper way to wage war against a historical enemy than what is transpiring in Ukraine right now.

Then give them the means to win, long range ammunition like ATACMS and fighter jets to carry out air strikes over Crimea. Missiles to sink ships. Why is that not happening? NATO has an interest in keeping Ukraine as a functional state to contain Russia, but they do not want to escalate further than what is necessary for that.

Opinions differ on that.
My opinion is that we’re grinding Russia to powder, and to do so it’s best to keep the game close so that Putin always just needs to put a bit more in to think he can win.
If we’d handed Ukraine 50 HIMARS on 2/25/22 Putin would’ve gotten the message and Russia wouldn’t be in the midst of refurbing T55s for target duties in Ukraine.
This war will end when we decide it ends, hopefully only when Russia’s many subject peoples unsheathe their knives.

When you read the early history of the war, I think it's pretty clear we didn't have any grand strategy. It's simply dumb luck that our slow, nervous increase in arms deliveries has lengthened the war to the point that its a ghastly meat grinder. To think this is a deliberate Bear Trap is to attribute competence and planning where none really exists imo.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/24/russia-ukraine-war-oral-history-00083757
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#4]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

When you read the early history of the war, I think it's pretty clear we didn't have any grand strategy. It's simply dumb luck that our slow, nervous increase in arms deliveries has lengthened the war to the point that its a ghastly meat grinder. To think this is a deliberate Bear Trap is to attribute competence and planning where none really exists imo.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/24/russia-ukraine-war-oral-history-00083757
View Quote

The early days of the war were an intelligence victory. It wasn't our weapons that stopped the Russians from a fast win. It was two brigades of Ukrainian artillery pounding the road the Russians tried to advance on - just happened to know to be there. That hilarious Russian convoy wasn't stopped by weather, broken equipment, indecision, or by local partisans with Javelins - it was stopped by artillery that just happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time. And when the Russian special forces landed in Kiev airport - the Ukrainians were waiting.

The Russians didn't have a bad plan. We just knew what it was, and told the Ukrainians where to be and what to do to stop them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A New American Grand Strategy to Counter Russia and China
by John Bolton (The Mustache)
The U.S. and its allies can’t afford to drift aimlessly as history’s tectonic plates shift.

https://archive.ph/hRLol

The post-Cold War era is over. This brief interregnum following the Soviet empire’s defeat proved an illusory holiday from reality and is now rapidly disappearing before expanding or newly emerging threats. History often fails to arrange itself conveniently for our understanding, especially for those alive when its tectonic plates shift. By any standard, however, history is now moving rapidly.

America’s next president will take office in 2025, the 75th anniversary of NSC-68, Harry S. Truman’s foundational document of U.S. Cold War strategy. With less than two years before Inauguration Day, presidential candidates should be thinking in grand-strategy terms, for both campaign policy statements and their incipient administrations. Given the Sino-Russian axis and accompanying rogue-state outriders like Iran and North Korea, any serious contemporary reincarnation of NSC-68 will be as daunting and hard to swallow as the original.

To get the ball rolling, here are three critical elements for any plausible course of strategic thinking:

First, Washington and its allies must immediately increase defense budgets to Reagan-era levels relative to gross domestic product and sustain such spending for the foreseeable future. Federal budgets need substantial reductions to eliminate deficits and shrink the national debt, so higher military spending necessitates even greater reductions domestically. So be it. Neither the obese welfare state nor massive income-redistribution schemes protect us from foreign adversaries. Higher levels of economic growth, freed from crushing tax and regulatory burdens, will underlie the necessary military buildup.

Twenty years ago we rightly thought in terms of “full-spectrum superiority.” With the advent of cyberwarfare, hypersonic weapons, drone capabilities in every physical domain and more, today’s spectrum is even broader. Key sectors like national missile defense have languished. Politicians have ignored our aging nuclear stockpile and the inevitable need to resume some underground testing to ensure our nuclear deterrent’s safety and reliability. Nor can we omit massive increases in the defense-industrial base and logistical and transportation resources, the unheralded but basic instruments of defense.

Second, America’s collective-defense alliances need improvement and expansion, with new ones forged to face new threats....

Third, after Ukraine wins its war with Russia, we must aim to split the Russia-China axis. Moscow’s defeat could unseat Mr. Putin’s regime. What comes next is a government of unknowable composition. New Russian leaders may or may not look to the West rather than Beijing, and might be so weak that the Russian Federation’s fragmentation, especially east of the Urals, isn’t inconceivable. Beijing is undoubtedly eyeing this vast territory, which potentially contains incalculable mineral wealth. Significant portions of this region were under Chinese sovereignty until the 1860 Treaty of Peking transferred “outer Manchuria,” including extensive Pacific coast lands, to Moscow. Russia’s uncontrolled dissolution could provide China direct access to the Arctic, including even the Bering Strait, facing Alaska.

Obviously, any modern-day NSC-68 would include far more, but the gravity and scope of the strategic task ahead are ample motivation to launch the debate. You can bet Beijing and Moscow are thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A New American Grand Strategy to Counter Russia and China
by John Bolton (The Mustache)
The U.S. and its allies can’t afford to drift aimlessly as history’s tectonic plates shift.

https://archive.ph/hRLol

The post-Cold War era is over. This brief interregnum following the Soviet empire’s defeat proved an illusory holiday from reality and is now rapidly disappearing before expanding or newly emerging threats. History often fails to arrange itself conveniently for our understanding, especially for those alive when its tectonic plates shift. By any standard, however, history is now moving rapidly.

America’s next president will take office in 2025, the 75th anniversary of NSC-68, Harry S. Truman’s foundational document of U.S. Cold War strategy. With less than two years before Inauguration Day, presidential candidates should be thinking in grand-strategy terms, for both campaign policy statements and their incipient administrations. Given the Sino-Russian axis and accompanying rogue-state outriders like Iran and North Korea, any serious contemporary reincarnation of NSC-68 will be as daunting and hard to swallow as the original.

To get the ball rolling, here are three critical elements for any plausible course of strategic thinking:

First, Washington and its allies must immediately increase defense budgets to Reagan-era levels relative to gross domestic product and sustain such spending for the foreseeable future. Federal budgets need substantial reductions to eliminate deficits and shrink the national debt, so higher military spending necessitates even greater reductions domestically. So be it. Neither the obese welfare state nor massive income-redistribution schemes protect us from foreign adversaries. Higher levels of economic growth, freed from crushing tax and regulatory burdens, will underlie the necessary military buildup.

Twenty years ago we rightly thought in terms of “full-spectrum superiority.” With the advent of cyberwarfare, hypersonic weapons, drone capabilities in every physical domain and more, today’s spectrum is even broader. Key sectors like national missile defense have languished. Politicians have ignored our aging nuclear stockpile and the inevitable need to resume some underground testing to ensure our nuclear deterrent’s safety and reliability. Nor can we omit massive increases in the defense-industrial base and logistical and transportation resources, the unheralded but basic instruments of defense.

Second, America’s collective-defense alliances need improvement and expansion, with new ones forged to face new threats....

Third, after Ukraine wins its war with Russia, we must aim to split the Russia-China axis. Moscow’s defeat could unseat Mr. Putin’s regime. What comes next is a government of unknowable composition. New Russian leaders may or may not look to the West rather than Beijing, and might be so weak that the Russian Federation’s fragmentation, especially east of the Urals, isn’t inconceivable. Beijing is undoubtedly eyeing this vast territory, which potentially contains incalculable mineral wealth. Significant portions of this region were under Chinese sovereignty until the 1860 Treaty of Peking transferred “outer Manchuria,” including extensive Pacific coast lands, to Moscow. Russia’s uncontrolled dissolution could provide China direct access to the Arctic, including even the Bering Strait, facing Alaska.

Obviously, any modern-day NSC-68 would include far more, but the gravity and scope of the strategic task ahead are ample motivation to launch the debate. You can bet Beijing and Moscow are thinking about it.
View Quote

All of that is fine but it needs to be done within the post-Yeltsin/NeoStalin reality we have now:

1) Russia is a pathological liar, cannot be trusted and therefore cannot be negotiated with.

2) Russia is no longer “the safe custodians of nuclear weapons”. Russia is as corrupt, out of touch with civilization, and barbaric as any terrorist state.

3) Russia fully believes its destiny is to rebuild its former empire and will keep invading and destroying cities until it is forced to submit.

Any plan to defeat Russia and contain it and Vhina must incorporate these repeatedly demonstrated facts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

"The additional information raises questions about why authorities did not discover the leaks sooner, particularly since hundreds more people would have been able to see the posts."
Well, probably because our intelligence and security apparatus as well as our national capabilities were focused on PTA groups, right-wing extremists, garage pulls, and domestic terrorists.
You know, the real threat.
ETA: Also, the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back. You fukn schmuck.
View Quote

Yup.   Don't forget those dangerous Catholics that listen to their services in Latin.  

Lordie, we are so doomed.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Eastern Europe, Latvia, Poland, Estonia, help me sleep better. At least there somewhere people have their heads screwed on straight.

I never thought I'd say that!
View Quote
never thought of it like that. I agree!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#9]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

The early days of the war were an intelligence victory. It wasn't our weapons that stopped the Russians from a fast win. It was two brigades of Ukrainian artillery pounding the road the Russians tried to advance on - just happened to know to be there. That hilarious Russian convoy wasn't stopped by weather, broken equipment, indecision, or by local partisans with Javelins - it was stopped by artillery that just happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time. And when the Russian special forces landed in Kiev airport - the Ukrainians were waiting.

The Russians didn't have a bad plan. We just knew what it was, and told the Ukrainians where to be and what to do to stop them.
View Quote

This is where we have to be better at separating "US Government" from "The Administration".
There were people who'd been (saying "put me in coach")* for a while, no matter who was in the White House.

*ETA- or better said, actively in the game.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I've been saying this for thousands of pages. There is no brilliant and deliberate frog-boil plan, just dithering and indecision out of fear and incompetence. Otherwise, all the idiotic lack of actions and weak words before the invasion don't make sense. Unless we are to believe Xiden et al planned all this from the beginning, to lure Russia into a trap, to build upon the "success" of their equally brilliant Afghanistan withdrawal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:35:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hate_Work] [#12]

@Hate_Work check out my thread on a dude that got raided for 3d printing in nyc.

Thread.
View Quote

Thanks. Years ago, I posted some things I had made that now? Nope. We have a site, mdshooters, where much of the discussion is how to stay in the know and as well as the latest threats to the 2nd amendment. I swear, if I watched the news or read some sites more than I do, I'd be in a permanent state of depression.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

View Quote

Some of this is true. But before the invasion, the Ukrainians made many mistakes that cost them. Once the invasion kicked off, there were other mistakes and LOTS of confusion. Ad hoc TD units and just plain civilian patriots went out and started shooting at the Russians, causing many delays and allowed key units and equipment to get it together and move into beneficial positions. Hostomel was defended with VERY light forces that got kicked out by the VDV. UA reinforcement eventually re-took Hostomel after lots of bloody fighting. It should have been an expected place for an RU attack yet was very weakly defended. Those two UA arty brigades did save the day though.

I will argue that the UA defense was no more competent than the Russian invasion. But the HUGE difference was the various TD units and especially the fact that everyone, from civilian volunteer to UA General knew they were under attack and had the general "commander's intent" to just go out and shoot at the Russians. The very limited routs into Kiev did the rest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#14]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/E507BAB1-E3AA-429A-94D5-C710F7E723CF-2791316.jpg

This fucking guy indeed.

Stern emails and memos are already going around to every single person with a clearance. Essentially saying: “Remember like…EVERYTHING YOU WERE EVER TOLD ABOUT HAVING A FUCKING CLEARANCE”
View Quote

Obviously this person's neural network was not fully developed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kncook:

That kid ain’t going to see the light of day for the rest of his life.

He’s going to be made an example of….and he didn’t care.
View Quote

Unless they add charges, the reports were saying up to15 years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I believe that if there is some kind of disturbance most americans will allow the government to do just about anything to stomp the trouble makers and get things back to normal. The government only has to label the troublemakers as something distasteful to get the population to support the government against them. A word that begins with terroris comes to mind. And if I'm not mistaken, the government already has some fairly new laws that gives them massive power and authority to deal specifically with those people. Easy-peasy.
View Quote

Sorry for the slide, but I will stop after this.... The Patriot Act was one of the many wrong things, in the name of "safety" that is now used to fuck anyone in the way...
Patriot Act
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

He does not need to be alive in 30 years, like others have said he needs to be executed for treason.
View Quote

That is what Russia would do. The US has LOTS of politicians and military that should have been made an example of, but instead, are now part of the team.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I believe that if there is some kind of disturbance most americans will allow the government to do just about anything to stomp the trouble makers and get things back to normal. The government only has to label the troublemakers as something distasteful to get the population to support the government against them. A word that begins with terroris comes to mind. And if I'm not mistaken, the government already has some fairly new laws that gives them massive power and authority to deal specifically with those people. Easy-peasy.
View Quote

Americans have a right to protest, they don't have a right to vandalize, start fires, interfere with commerce, block traffic or cause any physical harm to others. Not dealing with riots and rioters quickly is actually a failure of government's most important role, protecting the peace.

I think we have more to fear from an impotent, ineffective and lazy government, than we do from one that actually asserts itself.

Because the Democrats have become unhinged, I expect more failures from government, which begs the question, why do we have any government at all. Lori Lightfoot, now deposed, just made a "law and order" speech. A day late and a dollar short.

If the United States gets serious about addressing organized crime, most of America's problem will evaporate overnight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#20]

It strikes me that the drone threat must be like antipersonnel mines were historically, but worse.  You can die horribly any time.  You are never safe.  You see people all around you maimed and killed.  If you’re wounded, expect follow-up.  You know that your enemy gets to watch you die miserably and enjoy it.
No thanks.
View Quote

I sure hope our military is nimble enough to recognize this and adjust swiftly.  A swarm of autonomous, small anti personnel drones combined with larger aniti-armor drones could really change a battlefield.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#21]

He does not need to be alive in 30 years, like others have said he needs to be executed for treason.
View Quote

IMO, a long prison sentence will suffice.

Executions should be reserved for anyone actively feeding America's secrets, on purpose, to our enemies. Being a man child on a gaming forum, doesn't meet that standard.

I hear Leavenworth is nice this time of year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Objectively speaking Sevastopol isn’t the sticking point.
Russia claims they must control all of Crimea to prevent their trade out of Rostov-on-Don from being blockaded.
Simply referring to a map would show that Russian trade could be blockaded from Romania or (obviously) Turkey with equal effectiveness.
Furthermore the realities of modern warfare being what they are, Russian trade from the Black Sea could be blockaded from more or less anywhere in Southern/Eastern Europe.
This is a play for the resources of Ukraine - land, mineral, and human - in order to make a play for European hegemony.  Period.  Russia continues to pump these 19th century rationales because they are an effective cover for naked imperialism.
The same argument is being made by Russia for “buffer states” in Eastern and Central Europe against a fictional 19th century land army invasion of Russia.  There is no land invasion of Russia and there isn’t going to be.  It’s just a convenient Russian pretext for imperialism.
View Quote

<This. Putin's Russia is just one lie after another in the hope of convincing Russians that this venture is noble, when in fact, it is treachery.

Fuck Putin with a rusty rebar!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I don't know why he would expect to be punished for his actions. How many politicians have we seen get away with mishandling of classified information that got into the hands of our enemies. The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff admitted he would inform our enemy of our plans rather than follow orders of a leader he doesn't like.

It amazes me that we hold a 21 year old E3 to such high standards when the highest ranking general in the country freely admits he is unwilling to follow lawful orders.

Discipline doesn't start at the bottom, it starts at the top. Throw the E3 in Leavenworth to make little rocks out of big ones, put the noose around the necks of the political hacks and O10s. Executing an E3 while giving a pass to the joint chief of staff and secretary of state sends the wrong message, even if it is an accurate message
View Quote

I agree with this. Although the stupid "kid" needs to be punished ALONG with all the other idiots that made it all possible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Not that I think everyone agrees with me, but I have mixed feelings on the morality of what I believe is the situation.
While China is the emerging threat, I believe no country has done more evil in the world in the last century-plus than Russia.  The Russian people aren’t inherently evil, but they allow a monstrous system to exercise power over them and to spread lies and destruction wherever they can reach.
That system and its power must be destroyed and this is our chance to do it.  If it survives we’re looking at another century of misery.
If our goal is to smash Russia and use Ukraine to do it, that’s in Ukraine’s interests too.  Ukraine’s long term survival is best assured by Russia’s dismemberment.  If it takes 100K or even 200k dead, it’s a small price to pay frankly.  National survival is fucking hardball.
If our goal is to slap Russia around a bit and show them who’s boss at Ukraine’s expense, that’s immoral and foolish.
View Quote

Your last line is what sticks with me. Using a litmus test, nothing adds up to the US stating they are "all in". The slow roll. No long range armaments. Using verbiage of not wanting to escalate this into WWlll, etc. If the US truly was all in, they would have ramped up production facilities from the start. I still can't wrap my head around Hillary's Uranium deal years ago...
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Same experience, although my initiation was as a cadet.
The first time I was told to move my hole "over there in the treeline" I was like WTF? So I got the instructions Barney style, and took off with my E tool to the treeline, only to be stopped and informed that I was truly stupid and had to fill in the first hole.
View Quote

Its really not that hard.

Russians build a slit trench.  They roof it with timber.  But they need to get inside the trench so they leave a hole, and the UAVs drop grenades down the hole.

If, the way the US does it, they had two walls of sandbags, say 1x5, then five more on top of them, 20 total, they could build a bigger roof.  You have to crawl under it, but from above, no hole. put sand on top to deflect the blast up. Keep your head down.

I am flabbergasted continuously...I don't recall seeing any sandbags in this war.  I don't know what NATO partner teaches field fortifications to these guys....either a) noone or b) someone that sucks but definitely not c) us.

I used to think we stunk but now I think after fighting good defenders for 50 years, we picked up a few tricks.

Sandbags, people.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#26]

They do.
Check out the massive gas reserves that were found within the territorial waters of Crimea.
View Quote

<This, considered to be the third largest deposit in the world. Gasprom and Putin have an economic goal in this conflict. The fact that a lot of Russian men are dying is of no consequence.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Not that I think everyone agrees with me, but I have mixed feelings on the morality of what I believe is the situation.
While China is the emerging threat, I believe no country has done more evil in the world in the last century-plus than Russia.  The Russian people aren’t inherently evil, but they allow a monstrous system to exercise power over them and to spread lies and destruction wherever they can reach.
That system and its power must be destroyed and this is our chance to do it.  If it survives we’re looking at another century of misery.
If our goal is to smash Russia and use Ukraine to do it, that’s in Ukraine’s interests too.  Ukraine’s long term survival is best assured by Russia’s dismemberment.  If it takes 100K or even 200k dead, it’s a small price to pay frankly.  National survival is fucking hardball.
If our goal is to slap Russia around a bit and show them who’s boss at Ukraine’s expense, that’s immoral and foolish.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Well, according to Ben Hodges, the Ukrainians know if they can make gains and then cut off Crimea, then the rules will have to change from the stance mentioned in the article.

To me it's sort of a carrot stick approach.  Ukraine is encouraged to make gains with what they have been given, and if those gains are good enough to put them in a good position regarding Crimea, then the next level of aid or negotiations can happen.

I hope so. Still it sounds very immoral to help a little, see how many friendlies die fighting to save their homes, then maybe send a little more.

I see a lady in the park getting raped and I toss her my pocket knife while watching with interest and yelling "come on girl, lets see what you got and maybe I'll hand you my Glock"...would be very fucked up!  

When this is all over, I believe that Ukraine will have some legitimate hard feelings once they count their dead and see what we could have sent them.

I certainly agree with you, if what is going on with slow rolling aid and using approaches like what I mentioned might be happening, I believe it is immoral.  I have said since before this started we need to be proactive instead of reactive.

I'm certainly in agreement with you on that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Something doesn't add up. We were still in Afghanistan 6 months prior and according to the article, we were fully aware, after Putin's manifesto that Ukraine was in his sights. So why just leave all that equipment when we could have shipped it to Ukraine or at very least, keep it as a message to ruzzia....
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Executions should be reserved for anyone actively feeding America's secrets, on purpose, to our enemies. Being a man child on a gaming forum, doesn't meet that standard.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

It is, as long as you are not assigned to the USDB as an Inmate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#30]
Originally Posted By Hate_Work:

Something doesn't add up. We were still in Afghanistan 6 months prior and according to the article, we were fully aware, after Putin's manifesto that Ukraine was in his sights. So why just leave all that equipment when we could have shipped it to Ukraine or at very least, keep it as a message to ruzzia....
View All Quotes

The Afghanistan debacle was entirely on the short-sightedness of the State Dept, who didn't care as long as they themselves weren't left holding the bag. They didn't care about the risk to other people as long as they didn't have to drag their bags to Bagram or even bother coming up with a coherent plan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

Yup.   Don't forget those dangerous Catholics that listen to their services in Latin.  

Lordie, we are so doomed.

View Quote

Those dangerous Catholics haven't spoken a word of Latin since the late 1960's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Some of this is true. But before the invasion, the Ukrainians made many mistakes that cost them. Once the invasion kicked off, there were other mistakes and LOTS of confusion. Ad hoc TD units and just plain civilian patriots went out and started shooting at the Russians, causing many delays and allowed key units and equipment to get it together and move into beneficial positions. Hostomel was defended with VERY light forces that got kicked out by the VDV. UA reinforcement eventually re-took Hostomel after lots of bloody fighting. It should have been an expected place for an RU attack yet was very weakly defended. Those two UA arty brigades did save the day though.

I will argue that the UA defense was no more competent than the Russian invasion. But the HUGE difference was the various TD units and especially the fact that everyone, from civilian volunteer to UA General knew they were under attack and had the general "commander's intent" to just go out and shoot at the Russians. The very limited routs into Kiev did the rest.
View Quote

I still find it amazing that the guy who blew up the fuel truck doesn't get more credit. Who knows what a few more miles of Russian penetration would have meant to the invasion....
https://www.politico.eu/article/meet-the-grandpa-from-bucha-who-greeted-the-russians-with-his-grenade-launcher/
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Russian source Rybar:

Rybar about a new attempt to destroy the Kerch bridge reportedly this morning

"🇺🇦 About the attempted strike of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Kerch from the Grom-2 OTRK

Today, at around 08.30, Ukrainian formations tried to deliver another blow to the Crimean peninsula from the Grom-2 operational-tactical missile system.

The missile was shot down over the Sea of Azov near Kerch by anti-aircraft gunners of the 3rd division of the 18th air defense division of the 31st air defense division of the RF Armed Forces. There were no casualties or injuries, fragments fell into the water.

Unlike the two previous strike attempts in Gvardeisky and Feodosia from the Odessa region, the Armed Forces of Ukraine changed the position area of the Grom-2 OTRK - this time the launch was carried out from the outskirts of Zaporozhye , and the distance was about 290 km .

At the same time, last night, Ukrainian formations tried to strike at Armyansk in the north of the peninsula from the Alder multiple launch rocket system at a distance of about 100 km . All shells were shot down by air defense crews.

🔻 The intensity of shelling at the current moment remains the same. However, the movement of the Grom-2 OTRK to Zaporozhzhia indicates that the test of the battery consisting of four complexes in Tuzla in the Odessa region has been completed and the OTRK has been put into combat strength.

The new positional area in Zaporozhye allows expanding the geography of the use of tactical missiles not only in the Crimea and near the Kerch bridge , but also in the south of the Zaporozhye region and in the DPR. In addition, the transfer of the OTRK fully correlates with the preparation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for the offensive."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Thanks. Years ago, I posted some things I had made that now? Nope. We have a site, mdshooters, where much of the discussion is how to stay in the know and as well as the latest threats to the 2nd amendment. I swear, if I watched the news or read some sites more than I do, I'd be in a permanent state of depression.
View Quote

On Jan6 when the riot at the capitol happened there were  members of second amendment groups who suddenly found they no longer had access to their facebook accounts, they were just banned from their account with no explanation or way to appeal. Maybe you have good reason to be depressed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#35]
CASEVAC handoff.
Life and health for a free and independent Ukraine!
Glory to the Defenders of Ukraine! 🇺🇦

The Armed Forces continue to control part of Bakhmut 🇺🇦
Fierce battles continue.
There is no environment.

Video from soldiers of the 93rd OMBr "Kholodny Yar"

More trench carvings
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Almost 12 minutes.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#38]

A farmer converted his tractor to work in a (mine) field. He used the Russian BWP for this (😂).

"Sappers are now tasked with demining power lines and gas pipelines for the population ... they don't have time."

He installed AI in the tractor - he drives through the field remotely without a driver because you know 🥹
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:33:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#39]

Note, this was from a Lancet strike video I posted a few days ago, you can see the one red container on the system indicating they are being beefed up with export missiles.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:36:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#41]
https://twitter.com/Seveerity/status/1649707795367723009

Thermal view of a group of attacking enemy infantry coming under artillery fire.
Don't worry I'm sure those 'bits' are just shrapnel
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#42]

U.S. hits Russia's "shadow fleet": largest oil carrier to India is deprived of international insurance

The shadow fleet of dozens of tankers, which transports Russian oil to Asia bypassing Western sanctions, was hit by the US sanctions. India-registered Gatik Ship Management, which became a major carrier of oil from Russia last year, has lost international insurance because of a violation of the "price cap" mechanism, Bloomberg reported, citing a source familiar with the situation.

The Mumbai-headquartered company, which nobody knew about until last year, assembled a fleet of 48 tankers with a combined capacity of more than 30 million barrels and worth $1.4 billion. Almost all of the vessels entered Russian ports and exported oil or oil products, a Vortexa analysis showed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Almost 12 minutes.

View Quote

That's such a wild tactic haha
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:16:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#46]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Russians build a slit trench.  They roof it with timber.  But they need to get inside the trench so they leave a hole, and the UAVs drop grenades down the hole.

If, the way the US does it, they had two walls of sandbags, say 1x5, then five more on top of them, 20 total, they could build a bigger roof.  You have to crawl under it, but from above, no hole. put sand on top to deflect the blast up. Keep your head down.

I am flabbergasted continuously...I don't recall seeing any sandbags in this war.  I don't know what NATO partner teaches field fortifications to these guys....either a) noone or b) someone that sucks but definitely not c) us.

I used to think we stunk but now I think after fighting good defenders for 50 years, we picked up a few tricks.

Sandbags, people.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nS887Gmhf7M/WLdaZHXCDvI/AAAAAAAAEnE/oTZ_O-4etU8DbcW9hjdH4fumdjWzB_o-gCLcB/s1600/foxhole-soldier.jpg

https://www.wearethemighty.com/uploads/legacy/assets.rbl.ms/17491781/origin.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Same experience, although my initiation was as a cadet.
The first time I was told to move my hole "over there in the treeline" I was like WTF? So I got the instructions Barney style, and took off with my E tool to the treeline, only to be stopped and informed that I was truly stupid and had to fill in the first hole.

Sandbags, people.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nS887Gmhf7M/WLdaZHXCDvI/AAAAAAAAEnE/oTZ_O-4etU8DbcW9hjdH4fumdjWzB_o-gCLcB/s1600/foxhole-soldier.jpg

https://www.wearethemighty.com/uploads/legacy/assets.rbl.ms/17491781/origin.jpg

We DID train the Ukrainians over the last few decades.  You will note that Individual fighting positions are beginning to show up in increasing numbers along side/instead of trenches.  Also, US doctrine still uses "communication trenches"  between fighting positions in some defensive cases when berms are not viable in certain terrain (METT-T).  The problem is that much of our training in fieldcraft was directed at frontline soldiers and junior officers.  Also, the tactical situation for Ukraine prior to 2022 was largely a defensive fight along a relatively fixed line, while US Doctrine since the 1930's has emphasized maneuver in both offensive and defensive operations, with "defense in depth" being the favored US defensive technique.  So, two issues:  1) When "bottom-led" It can take take a long time for new ways of operating tactically to filter through a force, particularly in cases where the "old" techniques are currently being employed and appear to be "working" (such as in Luhansk and the Donbass from circa 2015-2022), and 2) A military has to buy and stockpile a metric shitton of sandbags, wire, shoring material, etc, to support our defensive doctrine.  Pallets of sandbags are relatively cheap, but they require a lot of storage space in dry environments and, at the user level, are a royal pain in the ass to fill.  Trenches are much easier to construct quickly than individual fighting positions built to standard unless a unit practices building individual fighting positions (a lot).  So, if some Uke Senior officer has the opportunity to buy warehouses full of sandbags that may never get used or can get use the same money to get a smokin' deal on a bunch of Hungarian 5.45, some gently-used French thermal equipment, and a respectable number of American tactical surveillance radars that showed up on the market from "somewhere" and won't hang around long due to the demand, you know where he will send the money.  The Senior guy figures the trenches are "good enough" since that is what he grew up with.  Later, when the "new" guys show up from combat (in Donbass) with some American training, the worm turns a little towards individual fighting positions, but he has the same dilemmas as the previous cat with resources, so when the next smokin' deal for enough surplus American M68 sights (Aimpoint CompM2's) and associated hardware to equip a division shows up, he settles for buying some sandbags, wire, etc, but in MILVAN amounts rather than multiple warehouse numbers, and buys as much of the "American" (Swedish) stuff for the front line troops as he can.  This process is complicated (lengthened) by additional factors, such as the transition of the Ukrainian logistical structure from a "Push" system (where Higher sends you packages stuff based on your projected needs using a complicated mathematical formula and statistical analysis using past requirements over the last century or so) to a "Pull" system (a Demand-based system where units order what they need).  Emigrating from a system where some Colonel at echelons above reality looks at books, charts, and calculators/slide rules to send pre-determined logistic packages to a system where Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains have to be "on their game" and logistic requirements are generated at the Company/Battalion/Brigade level.  The thought processes and infrastructure to support things like demand-driven supply distribution and forward maintenance capabilities take time, personnel, assets, and resources to implement and perfect.  Also, in the US (and places like the Philippines, Taiwan, Canada, etc) we are "blessed" with a plethora of major natural disasters (a "slow" year may only have one or two) that generate sudden and huge demands for stuff like wire, barrier materials, sandbags, etc, and the logistics to move it into disaster areas.  Europe does get it's share of natural disasters, but not on the scale where Ukraine or some other European country would find it prudent to buy, what in their eyes, are insane amounts of stuff and scatter it across warehouses and arsenals around the country.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUnyqOXoAEZ85A?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Hmmm
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUnyqOXoAEZ85A?format=jpg&name=large

Hmmm
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/2023_0407_12503235_jpg-2791759.JPG
Well, that's a dude pretending to be a woman so faking a sign isn't a new level of deception for him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#50]

THAT makes more sense.

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3905 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top