Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4007 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By strykr:

This is literally why this plane was created, to take out Russian armor on their way to the Fulda Gap. Nobody said oh wait, we cannot use them for that cause they may get shot down. You could say the same for any aircraft, including helicopters.

It is a war, there will be casualties. However, they also have the potential to inflict massive damage on Russian ground troops. Can you imagine what 100 of these planes could do to Russian troops on the run or in Crimea? Yes, stealthy aircraft can survive better but Ukraine would be happy to receive tech that is not the latest and greatest.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/01/ukraine-asked-u-s-for-100-a-10-warthogs-to-fight-russians/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

And how long would that be able to survive in a manpads environment?

This is literally why this plane was created, to take out Russian armor on their way to the Fulda Gap. Nobody said oh wait, we cannot use them for that cause they may get shot down. You could say the same for any aircraft, including helicopters.

It is a war, there will be casualties. However, they also have the potential to inflict massive damage on Russian ground troops. Can you imagine what 100 of these planes could do to Russian troops on the run or in Crimea? Yes, stealthy aircraft can survive better but Ukraine would be happy to receive tech that is not the latest and greatest.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/01/ukraine-asked-u-s-for-100-a-10-warthogs-to-fight-russians/

One of the largest complaints I've heard people raise about the US military outside of SOCOM is that it's too risk adverse, and I think that risk adverseness is a big reason why they haven't gotten A-10s. People have raised concerns about their vulnerability to Russian air defense, which are valid, but the reality of the situation is that if a Ukrainian A-10 pilot completely smokes an armored company and two artillery batteries before getting shot down, that's worth it. I guess the only real issue would be that Ukraine doesn't have that many pilots as a whole.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

Amazing how they got to Ukraine only 3 hours after reported receiving them.

Attachment Attached File

Fuck yes, I hope we start to see real SEAD missions knocking out S-400s
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Quite true. It's hard to separate objective analysis from those subjectively giving their opinion because they don't support Ukraine.

There's not many MIG-29s left to give.  So something else needs to be given.  In terms of surplus, I don't think anything can match the F-16.

A-10. We should give them to Ukraine since they are being retired from service.

After over a year of high intensity conflict both sides are still using helicopters, and the A-10 (despite its faults) is more survivable than any helicopter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

A military invasion with minimal civilian casualties wouldn't have forced Biden to ramp up support.  We all know he was ready to sit there for 3-4 weeks and let Russia win... if they could in 3-4 weeks.  But the video and pictures of civilian suffering early on (and often) steeled support for Ukraine around the world.  Suddenly Russians were Yankee fans at Fenway.  Not a friendly face in the crowd... but the guy hawking beers (China) will happily sell him a brew to line his own pocket.

Random attacks of civilians by indiscriminate rockets was a major contributing factor to that dynamic.
View Quote

Very true. Xiden's plan A was to let Ukraine fall with as little whimpering as possible. Hell, I think he even wanted it to happen since working with Putin/Russia was already established. Anything except what we have now which has caused Xiden and his team lots of pee running down legs and sleepless afternoons..
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Probably would have been OK in the 70's but now days they wont last. But I doubt the UA would use the stupidly. Anyway what they need are F18's or F18, or Gripens.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Saw elsewhere that it was an HRIM-2 strike. RU sign-man was in the photo. Didn't look like there was any urgency to rescue anyone from under the rubble.

ETA

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Saw elsewhere that it was an HRIM-2 strike. RU sign-man was in the photo. Didn't look like there was any urgency to rescue anyone from under the rubble.

ETA

Good confirmation the plant was a military logistics target. If it was an abandoned factory they would have claimed it was a school or hospital or refugee center. Trying to play it off as the factory it used to be means it really was converted to military purposes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

In Kosovo, the A10 was murdering SAMs. Which you don't usually think of it as being made for that role. But yeah....
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]

https://media.giphy.com/media/dtGwS2cDagGxPa1DP5/giphy.gif
View Quote

Russia is about to have a baaaaad future in Ukraine ...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

One of the largest complaints I've heard people raise about the US military outside of SOCOM is that it's too risk adverse, and I think that risk adverseness is a big reason why they haven't gotten A-10s. People have raised concerns about their vulnerability to Russian air defense, which are valid, but the reality of the situation is that if a Ukrainian A-10 pilot completely smokes an armored company and two artillery batteries before getting shot down, that's worth it. I guess the only real issue would be that Ukraine doesn't have that many pilots as a whole.
View All Quotes

True, but we should enable the UA to make that call themselves. They have proven smarter than most of our leaders.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very true. Xiden's plan A was to let Ukraine fall with as little whimpering as possible. Hell, I think he even wanted it to happen since working with Putin/Russia was already established. Anything except what we have now which has caused Xiden and his team lots of pee running down legs and sleepless afternoons..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

A military invasion with minimal civilian casualties wouldn't have forced Biden to ramp up support.  We all know he was ready to sit there for 3-4 weeks and let Russia win... if they could in 3-4 weeks.  But the video and pictures of civilian suffering early on (and often) steeled support for Ukraine around the world.  Suddenly Russians were Yankee fans at Fenway.  Not a friendly face in the crowd... but the guy hawking beers (China) will happily sell him a brew to line his own pocket.

Random attacks of civilians by indiscriminate rockets was a major contributing factor to that dynamic.

Absolutely. It is ironic that the 10% Boys harp on Biden and Ukraine when it was Biden getting 10% from the oil oligarchs who arose from the rubble of USSR. Ukraine was trying to investigate and prosecute Burisma (therefore Hunter).

So Biden is much more corrupted by Russia oligarchs snd oil (notice he stopped domestic oil expansion and started buying Russian oil?). Nothing to do with Ukraine. In fact I believe he holds a personal grudge against Ukraine.

Some of GD is just retarded when it comes to Biden.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree that F18s are a more practical aircraft for Ukraine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

A-10 durability
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kncook:
I agree that F18s are a more practical aircraft for Ukraine.
View Quote

I’m leaning that way too. Gripen and F16 would both work, but F18 would probably be the best for their needs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
F18s or F16s who cares just give them one or both...they need better capabilities than MiGs ... that said ... hats off to Poland ...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Absolutely. It is ironic that the 10% Boys harp on Biden and Ukraine when it was Biden getting 10% from the oil oligarchs who arose from the rubble of USSR. Ukraine was trying to investigate and prosecute Burisma (therefore Hunter).

So Biden is much more corrupted by Russia oligarchs snd oil (notice he stopped domestic oil expansion and started buying Russian oil?). Nothing to do with Ukraine. In fact I believe he holds a personal grudge against Ukraine.

View Quote

My biggest gripe is they're pretending Ukraine is a Hobo on the street begging for beer money. When in reality Ukraine is having a home invasion that threatens to wipe them out, and all they want is the tools to save themselves.

It's like if they saw a 110lbs woman on the street being raped by a 220 power lifter bro. And she's screaming for help. They're saying her real motive for crying for help is so she can buy a Ferrari,  instead of actually begging to be saved from a monster.

These people let their brains get broke by politics

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

The chinese parts makers must be working hella overtime to be able to supply the parts for all those. Ironic that ChinaIsAsshoe is on the side of Russia but chooses to knowingly sell parts to all comers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Multiple sources just cranking these things out and sending them to the front.

The chinese parts makers must be working hella overtime to be able to supply the parts for all those. Ironic that ChinaIsAsshoe is on the side of Russia but chooses to knowingly sell parts to all comers.

China is on China's side.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Probably would have been OK in the 70's but now days they wont last. But I doubt the UA would use the stupidly. Anyway what they need are F18's or F18, or Gripens.
View All Quotes

It doesn't really matter.  Ukraine said thru don't want a-10s
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Quite true. It's hard to separate objective analysis from those subjectively giving their opinion because they don't support Ukraine.

There's not many MIG-29s left to give.  So something else needs to be given.  In terms of surplus, I don't think anything can match the F-16.

A-10. We should give them to Ukraine since they are being retired from service.

As long as their SU-25s that they're still operating after 3+++ days of war? Not giving them something, that's effectively being thrown away, to use during a war because it might get destroyed lacks vision. Forget the cannon, it's useful as a PGM truck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool

Tank Factory Builds New Tanks and Upgrades Old Ones

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Exactly. If the A-10s can take out hard targets, they could save the lives of potentially thousands of soldiers. If F-16s are out of the question, the A-10 at least is an alternative that doesn't cost the US much of anything. They are also slower/easier to fly than a modern fighter jet so training pilots for them would be easier. When the alternatives are storming fortified bunkers in Crimea in a WWI style attack or smoking them from the air at the loss of a few A-10s, I know which way I would lean.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah. Just like every tank on the Western front was said to be a tiger. Lol

I do enjoy that these weapons have a psychological impact on the enemy.
View All Quotes

ETA

When HIMARS showed up last summer, every strike behind Russian lines started being attributed to them (despite the fact that the Ukrainians had started targeting Russian depots weeks before their arrival). I feel like a similar dynamic is going to start happening with Storm Shadows, in which every target hit in the Russian rear is going to be a result of a Storm Shadow strike. This is in spite of the fact that the Ukrainians have other tools like tochka u, HRIM-2, drones (including the 1000km kamikze drone ukroboronprom just finished, etc.) that can also hit targets deep behind Russian lines.

Yeah. Just like every tank on the Western front was said to be a tiger. Lol

I do enjoy that these weapons have a psychological impact on the enemy.

Did winged JDAM kits make it over?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Intense. I'll never understand killing yourself in combat. Fight to the death or surrender. Maybe if I was about to be captured by ISIS but being captured by the UA?
View All Quotes
56th Motorized Brigade assaulting Russian position with a tank and dismounted infantry. Another Russian suicide at the end.

Intense. I'll never understand killing yourself in combat. Fight to the death or surrender. Maybe if I was about to be captured by ISIS but being captured by the UA?

Good thing for the tank the Russian tried skip-bombing with that RPG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkrY6HIaaXc
View Quote

I think I saw a name on a couple of those BRDM hulls...LightSol or DarkeningStar or something like that.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]

You have to consider the propaganda that these guys have consumed. A significant portion of them believe they're there to fight the reincarnation of the Third Reich that was ethnically cleansing Russians in the Donbas. Plus, there's also the reality that Russian medical care is awful, and a lot of their wounded likely end up dying slow and agonizing deaths from what should be survivable wounds.
View Quote

I can sort of understand and I'm certainly not some brave super-soldier type. I've heard of trapped soldiers doing it in previous wars... I'm probably just shocked from seeing it. It's a very shitty situation and I look forward to seeing Putin crawling then putting a gun under his chin.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Well, the argument is that they are too easy targets so we cannot send them. And the F-16 is too expensive/too much escalation so we cannot send them either. But can Ukraine liberate their country without any use of the air force? 20-30 Migs and Sukhois are not going to be sufficient.

How about sending both. Use the F-16 for SEAD, then the A-10 to mop up everything else. A-10s were designed to fly low below the radar and be able to withstand some damage. Russia is literally using 60s 70s tech in many cases now. Admit it, watching A-10s on a strafing run over Russian T-62s or T-55s would be pretty satisfying to watch, the way it was meant to be
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Exactly. If the A-10s can take out hard targets, they could save the lives of potentially thousands of soldiers. If F-16s are out of the question, the A-10 at least is an alternative that doesn't cost the US much of anything. They are also slower/easier to fly than a modern fighter jet so training pilots for them would be easier. When the alternatives are storming fortified bunkers in Crimea in a WWI style attack or smoking them from the air at the loss of a few A-10s, I know which way I would lean.
View Quote

While I don't agree with the Air Force brass who have been chomping at the bit to ditch the A-10, this would seem to be the perfect off ramp for that system. I can't think of anything better for strafing trenches, stacking convoys and lighting up trains.

If Ukraine is able to destroy most of Russia's radar systems, the A-10 could raise hell every night with impunity. Low and slow they could be a real threat to Russia's A400 systems.

Originally designed to ravage Russian armor, I'm thinking it deserves to shine one last time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#28]

Well, the argument is that they are too easy targets so we cannot send them. And the F-16 is too expensive/too much escalation so we cannot send them either. But can Ukraine liberate their country without any use of the air force? 20-30 Migs and Sukhois are not going to be sufficient.

How about sending both. Use the F-16 for SEAD, then the A-10 to mop up everything else. A-10s were designed to fly low below the radar and be able to withstand some damage. Russia is literally using 60s 70s tech in many cases now. Admit it, watching A-10s on a strafing run over Russian T-62s or T-55s would be pretty satisfying to watch, the way it was meant to be
View All Quotes

A10s are slow and won't be able to toss JDAMs or glide bombs nearly as far, so they would need to close into SHORAD/MANPADS range where they would get chewed to pieces before they could launch their weapons in situations where an F16 would be able to stand off a bit further.  Also, an A10 can't effectively defend itself against enemy fighters like an F16 can.  F16s are not in short supply, there are a lot more of them than A10s, and they are operated by many nations around the world that have an interest in supporting Ukraine.  The irreplaceable resource in this situation is Ukrainian pilots, so putting them in a less survivable aircraft like the A10 just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#29]
More video and pics of the strike. Scroll down for more.

I got my awning on the xterra finally, and the rack is mostly done, and Ukraine seems to have been busier than me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Biden Family et al got money from Russian oligarchs. A few mil. iirc. That was for "minor issues" not related to this war like lifting sanctions and Nordstream II which Biden greenlighted on day one (just after shutting down our pipeline) But it was NOT money well spent since the invasion superseded all that. I do wonder if Biden is more worried about Russian military escalation or revealing dirty secrets "escalation". Anyway Biden is making decisions about Ukraine like I make decisions about my wife spending money...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Was listening to Andrew Wilkow today and he had Mark W. Smith on to discuss his new book.

Can't speak to the book and unfortunately I had to miss part of the interview when they were getting into the discussion of the book but, figured I'd mention it here for anyone interested.

Disarmed: What the Ukraine War Teaches Americans About the Right to Bear Arms

The war in Ukraine is the ultimate real-life lesson of what can happen when a country disarms its citizens.

Anti-gun zealots in the United States insist that the Second Amendment’s right to keep and bear arms is a “relic.” Try telling that to the people of Ukraine.

Ukraine never protected its citizens’ right to keep and bear arms. But as Russia was about to invade, Ukraine did a critical about-face. Ukraine’s government encouraged civilians to carry firearms to defend themselves and their country. It handed out 25,000 fully automatic weapons, while Ukrainians rushed to buy AR-15 rifles that American gun-controllers insist “no one needs.”

Did the arming of Ukraine’s civilians make a difference? You bet. Armed citizens have played a crucial role in holding off the massive Russian army. This powerful book highlights how they did it and what they did wrong.

Constitutional scholar and host of The Four Boxes Diner YouTube Channel, Mark W. Smith reveals why the lessons learned in Ukraine matter to Americans, and why we must tirelessly resist all efforts to disarm us. Unless we heed Ukraine’s cautionary example, we too may pay a steep price.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

I think I saw a name on a couple of those BRDM hulls...LightSol or DarkeningStar or something like that.

View Quote
Yep, I need some of those parts
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Are there not any ecm pods that work on the F18 and A-10? When I was in the AF in the late 70's, the RF4-C we had on base had ecm pods that looked like drop tanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Wonder how OutofBattery is doing, I know just that he changed his username on here but was otherwise well last year.
View Quote

I hope he’s doing okay
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Your terms are acceptable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Peengwin:
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

If the Rangers had support, it would be slasher movie levels of gore.

Can confirm.

Your terms are acceptable.

Ukranians would make excellent SOF troops in my humble experience.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Peengwin:

Ukranians would make excellent SOF troops in my humble experience.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161834/IMG_4978_jpg-2814660.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161834/IMG_4979_jpg-2814664.JPG
View Quote
Without a doubt some would very well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Are there not any ecm pods that work on the F18 and A-10? When I was in the AF in the late 70's, the RF4-C we had on base had ecm pods that looked like drop tanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197590/alq-131-ecm-pod/
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Kerch Bridge needs to get hit.

I could be mistaken, as I was working while listening to a podcast that reported it. Saying there were huge lines to get out of Crimea. lol
View Quote

Let those who want to run, run. That much less persona non grata paperwork to do to expel them after the Liberation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]
This is the way.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
This is the way.

View Quote

One of the smarter ones.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
The problem would be delivery.  I don't think they're flying a cargo plane over a combat zone
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
The problem would be delivery.  I don't think they're flying a cargo plane over a combat zone
View Quote
Ukraine would strap a fee hundred drones on it and drop it on a trench
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#48]

I've wondered why we never adapted the MOAB to a short range missile format. It would be an asskicker.

ETA probably too expensive to design a mobile launcher and rocket for something that big and for a niche weapon.

ETA 2: Checked and it weighs in at 20k lbs. LOL. Yeah, that would be challenging to get it moving fast enough to be useful. I guess I answered my own question.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

I've wondered why we never adapted the MOAB to a short range missile format. It would be an asskicker.

ETA probably too expensive to design a mobile launcher and rocket for something that big and for a niche weapon.
View All Quotes

If it's worth sending an ATACM it's worth sending A MOAB.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

It would be twice the size and weight of a Minuteman.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4007 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top