Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1152 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
And that this is not the generation that stood up to the Germans. Secondly, this time they are they aggressors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

The catch is that he can want to throw all he wants, but they have to exist to be thrown.

They mostly don't.
And that this is not the generation that stood up to the Germans. Secondly, this time they are they aggressors.

Also throwing bodies is not the same as throwing soldiers at the problem.  Russia has most of their soldiers already engaged.  Anyone else will be poorly trained and poorly equipped.  Plus they would need supplies, food, ammo, and fuel to bring them in, which they seem to not have right now...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:

Who were the 8 idiots?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Who were the 8 idiots?

GD heroes Boebert and MTG were 2.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Denwad:

@nickmemphis

I know we have a global surveillance satellite network that will detect the " double flash " of a nuclear explosion immediately, but i'm not sure of how long we've had that capability.

We were catching canisters of film from spy satellites with C130s in the 60s and 70s. Are you saying that the soviets had an advanced satellite network in orbit that would detect all of our nuke blasts in Nevada and transmit the location instantaneously from 1945-1980ish?

I'm trying to make sure I've got the right idea here. I think you might be a little mistaken in your assumptions. I may be too.

I'd also imagine that a air burst nuclear weapon is quite a bit cleaner than Chernobyl was ( please reference the current state of Hiroshima and Nagasaki vs. Chernobyl )

I find it plausible that the Soviets could have nuked the Chinese in 1969 and nobody would have known about it.

View Quote

I'm sure I've made a few wrong assumptions, but we always told them when we were going to do a test shot since at least the 60s, simply to be sure they wouldn't get their knickers in a twist. In any case, there is simply no really plausible scenario where you could use a nuke in the open atmosphere during a military conflict and not have umpteen jillion labs and such find out quickly all over the planet, even then.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So... Charmin

S&P cuts Russia's ratings to 'CC' on debt default risk
View Quote

Nah. That generic "toilet paper" that you can see through and it still has wood chips in it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

I agree with you that NATO has done a lot, and what they've done is having major impact.

Don't be fooled that this war is going Ukraine's way, though.  Russia is still taking ground, albeit slowly and painfully.  There is still a good chance that Ukraine falls to the Russians in the short-to-mid term.  

I only bring this up as I think certain elements (media, Ukraine, etc.) are giving people a false sense of the reality of how this is playing out.

Ukraine is definitely punching above their weight on this one.  They're some serious fighters and this is costing Russia dearly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
Originally Posted By snackle:

I think you guys are mistaken.

NATO sent a bunch of weapons, did a bunch of training, and shared a bunch of intel. This has been giving the Russian military hell. I don't think that's powerless, and I don't think that's gutless. I think it's a measured response to a complex situation.

I think NATO is doing way more than we think.

Ukraine was supposed to get their doors kicked and have the regime deposed in 3 days. The opposite has happened: 15,000 Russians are dead, and they are in a quickly-turning quagmire, and its only getting worse each and every day. Russia has taken only Kherson as a major city. Kiev, Kherson, Cherniv, Sumy, Mariupol, Odessa, and many other cities are still standing, and Ukraine has been able to mount counter-attacks and even yesterday, beat the Russians back 20-25km towards Kherson.

This war is going Ukraines way in almost every sense.

But how?

Uhhhh... We know what NATO has given them. Almost every soldier and TDF has some sort of ATGM to unleash monumental pain on the Russians. The total air supremacy of Russia hasn't developed. We get daily shoot-down pictures of Russia's best aerial tech: Kh-52s, Kh-50s, Su-34s, everything is being blown to bits in the air. Ukraine is punching massively above their weight. And so much of it is NATO hand-me-downs.

Its almost like... NATO prepared them to do this.

You know, like they did for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unifier
https://medium.com/voices-of-the-armed-forces/operation-orbital-explained-training-ukrainian-armed-forces-59405d32d604
https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-secret-cia-training-program-in-ukraine-helped-kyiv-prepare-for-russian-invasion-090052743.html

NATO is doing just enough to afford plausible deniability while giving Ukrainians, and there's tons of them, the ability to win. If you were NATO what would you rather do: Initiate a broad conflict with another nuclear power, or use a corrupt, neutral country to butcher the Russians and show the world how Russia is a paper tiger? If you were intelligent, you'd throw the Ukrainians at them, not the Poles and others. If it escalates and gets really bad then you send your guys in. We're literally using the Russian playbook of fodder before we go in, and its going swimmingly because we equiped them with decent weapons. On top of it, we've gathered insane levels of Russian intelligence/EW/capabilities without exposing an iota of what NATO can really provide. No F-35s. No F-22s. Very little exposed outside of modern counterfire radars and 15-year-old ATGMs that are destroying orc hordes.

Again, what else could be better? Killing Russians while sitting back and letting almost-Russians do it.

I agree with you that NATO has done a lot, and what they've done is having major impact.

Don't be fooled that this war is going Ukraine's way, though.  Russia is still taking ground, albeit slowly and painfully.  There is still a good chance that Ukraine falls to the Russians in the short-to-mid term.  

I only bring this up as I think certain elements (media, Ukraine, etc.) are giving people a false sense of the reality of how this is playing out.

Ukraine is definitely punching above their weight on this one.  They're some serious fighters and this is costing Russia dearly.

Not all the red areas on the conflict map are held by Russia.  Many towns and villages are held by Ukraine and Ujraine has taken small towns and small cities back in the last week. Russia can't subjugate Ukrainians so there is no "good chance that Ukraine falls".
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:
I just realized I was wrong, I actually got my first one in about 83

My bad I did a quick search and for some reason I actually believed what I read on the interwebs boy was that stupidAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 715700] [#8]
Bad.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

Let's please stop with the conspiracy theories of nukes being used covertly during military engagements.

As has already been stated, many times in this thread, nuclear reactions leave traces and are detected.
View Quote

Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7empest] [#10]
Originally Posted By mnd6563:

Agreed, plus I'm willing to bet that Kyiv is the most heavily defended fortress on earth right now.  So far, Russia has not been able to take any major city even when they were technically surrounding them.  I doubt that Kyiv ever falls with their prep and their underground tunnels and bunkers.  Russia does not seem to have the discipline and tactics to conduct an effective offensive.
View Quote

Isn't there like 42 miles of subway tunnels in Kyiv?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Let's please stop with the conspiracy theories of nukes being used covertly during military engagements.

As has already been stated, many times in this thread, nuclear reactions leave traces and are detected.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Pakistan and India fought a limited border war without nuking each other: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargil_War

Come to think of it, China and the Soviet Union also fought a limited border war while being nuclear armed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

Rumor I've heard for ages is that the Soviets used nukes in the sino-soviet war.. let the Chinese take an island in the disputed territory that was one of their nuclear ones and killed a huge number of people.

Your rumor is wrong, because no one can use a nuke in secret and then never get found out. We discovered Chernobyl in less than 48 hours, because it's not the sort of event you can really conceal. The Soviets knew exactly the location of every single test shot in Nevada, probably well in advance actually, but for sure when they went off. Like, immediately.

Man, I don't know what that shiny curved thing is in his head, but that's a tasty looking minnow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
As much I I want to see the Russian Army ground to a pulp, I think there needs a "golden bridge" for a Russian exit to Ukraine, before Putin gets too desperate and does something so stupid that we have to kick their teeth in and stomp them in such a way as to make WWIII a bit too much of likely result.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody's full of s***, I don't think ARs were available to the public until 89
View Quote

Wait what are you talking about?

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
As much I I want to see the Russian Army ground to a pulp, I think there needs a "golden bridge" for a Russian exit to Ukraine, before Putin gets too desperate and does something so stupid that we have to kick their teeth in and stomp them in such a way as to make WWIII a bit too much of likely result.
View Quote

Easy solution, offer Russian troops $10,000 cash to defect and charter flights somewhere sunny where they can retire.

That'll cost less than sending weapons.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

TOS-1 is disabled by a Jav,second hit goes boom.

View Quote
Work of art.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
So has anyone heard from the fat commie traitor from Texas lately? I'm beginning to wonder if the Russians ate him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kncook:

View All Quotes

Who were the 8 idiots?

Here’s the Putinbot list,

Eight Republicans voted against the bill: Representatives Glenn Grothman of Wisconsin; Thomas Massie of Kentucky; Matt Gaetz of Florida; Lauren Boebert of Colorado; Andy Biggs of Arizona; Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia; Chip Roy of Texas; Dan Bishop of North Carolina.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

WTF was that second hit. Secondary explosion?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#21]
We did exactly that in Vietnam with Project Eldest Son.
http://www.macvsog.cc/eldest_son.htm

Maybe with some rockets or arty but hard to do with sealed spam cans of 5.45 and x54r from the 70s and 80s.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bufschnelling:
Originally Posted By elcope:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOEbg69WUA0212J?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm surprised they haven't been booby trapping these trucks or having spiked loads in the ammo.

Maybe with some rockets or arty but hard to do with sealed spam cans of 5.45 and x54r from the 70s and 80s.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kbi:

I hope that chechen c... Sucker ends up having that atn thermal fail and tries calling customer service
View All Quotes

LOL

All my ATN gear has been flawless.  

But yeah..  I hope he ends up dead so that rifle can be someone elses battlefield pickup
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ottodog8:

I bought my first AR-15 in 1972, a couple of years before I was issued one. You?
View Quote

Lmao that totally went over your head boomer. Wanna try again?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

Easy solution, offer Russian troops $10,000 cash to defect and charter flights somewhere sunny where they can retire.

View Quote
Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Who were the 8 idiots?

And Matt Gaetz
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

SVD
View All Quotes

Thanks, potato vision on my phone.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Denwad:

I'd also imagine that a air burst nuclear weapon is quite a bit cleaner than Chernobyl was ( please reference the current state of Hiroshima and Nagasaki vs. Chernobyl )

I find it plausible that the Soviets could have nuked the Chinese in 1969 and nobody would have known about it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

The catch is that he can want to throw all he wants, but they have to exist to be thrown.

They mostly don't.
View Quote

He can throw as many as he wants but this isnt the first time.  The number of Russian peasants who split from the program in places like Tannenburg, and 1941 was astounding. Peoeple dont think Russian cannon fodder be like it is, but they do.

Reality is there are a lot of variables, and the way this is going is a long a line of effort that will not stay straight.  Between Putin's threats, Russian casualties, reinforcements, and how many weapons how fast that can be put into the hands of Ukrainians,  let alone how sanctions affect morale...too soon to tell.  I can say the Ukrainian morale wont collapse but the Russians might.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Zman is yoked.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
My bad I did a quick search and for some reason I actually believed what I read on the interwebs boy was that stupidhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200198/Screenshot_20220317-185759_png-2316983.JPG
View All Quotes
I just realized I was wrong, I actually got my first one in about 83

My bad I did a quick search and for some reason I actually believed what I read on the interwebs boy was that stupidhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200198/Screenshot_20220317-185759_png-2316983.JPG

Closer to 1959 then 1989.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Have you seen what Putins golden bridge is?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Seems like the first missile missed? Either way big bada boom at the end!
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Ukraine bans all male citizens ages 18 to 60 from leaving the country

I think you are incorrect.  A nation of 40 million wont let any military age males leave the country...so I think they know.

There are approx 9 million military age males who were not allowed to leave.  SO it's total war.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Ukrainepop.svg/350px-Ukrainepop.svg.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I think people are underestimating how many russian bodies putin is willing to throw at ukraine in order to avoid embarrassment.

Ukraine bans all male citizens ages 18 to 60 from leaving the country

I think you are incorrect.  A nation of 40 million wont let any military age males leave the country...so I think they know.

There are approx 9 million military age males who were not allowed to leave.  SO it's total war.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Ukrainepop.svg/350px-Ukrainepop.svg.png

While we're on the subject of bodies for the meatgrinder, I think Putin is way underestimating the amount of military age bodies he can just throw into this op until he overcomes the enemas with sheer numbers. It ain't 1942 anymore.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#36]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote

@M-1975 Looks like a round KB'd. Look at the port and charging handle. Action moves a little and smoke from the chamber area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Gaetz
View Quote
I like him, but I wonder what max headroom's mindset is here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Who were the 8 idiots?
View All Quotes

Who were the 8 idiots?

Glenn Grothman
Thomas Massie
Matt Gaetz
Lauren Boebert
Andy Biggs
Marjorie Taylor Greene
Chip Roy
Dan Bishop
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#39]
The UK today (Thursday 17 March) announced it is suspending the exchange and sharing of tax information with Russia and Belarus as part of continued efforts to inflict economic pain on President Putin's regime.

The UK has suspended all exchange of tax information with Russia and Belarus under the UK's exchange of information agreements

Move is among a number of measures being taken within the tax system to support Ukraine and inflict economic pain on Putin's regime

UK Government has already announced plans for families participating in the new Homes for Ukraine scheme to receive a 350-a-month tax-free payment and an easement on customs to make it easier to supply humanitarian aid to Ukraine

The UK exchanges tax information with Russia under the Convention on Mutual Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters and Russia and Belarus under bilateral Double Tax Agreements.

This tax information is exchanged as part of global collaboration to address tax compliance risks, however, today's decision to suspend tax information exchange will ensure the UK is not supplying Putin's regime with information that could lead to an increased tax benefit or yield for Russia.
View Quote
UK suspends tax co-operation with Russia
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Well I guess the TOS is certainly not inert lol
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Somebody's full of s***, I don't think ARs were available to the public until 89
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CurseOfKatyn:
Originally Posted By ottodog8:

I bought my first AR-15 in 1972, a couple of years before I was issued one. You?

Knock off the bullshit or step out of the thread. Your choice.

Uh, they absolutely were. Semi auto SP1s were produced since the 1960s.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Bunn19:

I originally was on the no fly zone, let NATO kick Russia’s ass bandwagon, but the more analysis I read and videos I watch, I think it would be an incredibly risky move.

Putin sees a war with NATO existential threat to Russia. What do states with nuclear weapons do when faced an existential threat? They use them.

As much as I would like to see US and NATO forces blast the hell out of Russian forces in Ukraine, I think the risk of global nuclear war is too great.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:

NATO is only powerless because of the lack of testicular fortitude to exercise the power they have, and that is 100% the fault of the population's choice of representative leaders. I.E. us.

I originally was on the no fly zone, let NATO kick Russia’s ass bandwagon, but the more analysis I read and videos I watch, I think it would be an incredibly risky move.

Putin sees a war with NATO existential threat to Russia. What do states with nuclear weapons do when faced an existential threat? They use them.

As much as I would like to see US and NATO forces blast the hell out of Russian forces in Ukraine, I think the risk of global nuclear war is too great.

I can see that, but OTOH, how is that different than just full capitulation because he might go nuke? Let's say his next objective is say, Hungary. "Don't fuck with my annexation of Hungary, or I'll let the nukes fly!"

When do you stop bowing before the nuke threat, exactly?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#44]
Originally Posted By TripleC:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TripleC:

Earlier in this thread, I pointed out that hitting thermobarics might actually result in a really nice boom...

That was what I was referring to.

Fortunately it was just a couple of used russians getting blown to bits.

-edit-
I think the first hit resulted in the fuel venting
The second hit set it off
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Who were the 8 idiots?
View Quote

Boebert
Massie
Gaetz
BiggsGreene
Bishop
Roy
Grothman
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Shenanigunz:

Glenn Grothman
Thomas Massie
Matt Gaetz
Lauren Boebert
Andy Biggs
Marjorie Taylor Greene
Chip Roy
Dan Bishop
View Quote

I get it. They're going to catch a ton of shit for voting no, but I get it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Dude there are AR15's that are C&R eligible...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Raytheon & Boeing DO NOT approve.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GlockZen:
Bad Motherfucker.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOD_BdDVgBI3Is1?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

What a good man
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#50]

View Quote

No, that was a wire guided munition, like an AT-5 spandrel (Konkurs)  The jerky movement is it adjusting. as the gunner is supposed to be tracking the target.  It looks like at 10 seconds it clipped the wire on a bush or something and went crazy (straight up, then down. It was a near miss.) You could see someone unassed the second track and the second round was a hit.

A TOW missile is similar, it has to wires that unspool and the electric charge adjyust the missile toward where the sight is pointed. But if you clip something and snap a wire...it looks like that.  They are also very slow. Like 200-250 meters per second or something. The wires are fragile.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1152 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top