Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1555 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP7r_spWUAcReym?format=png&name=medium
View Quote

Counting up EVERYTHING in that list does not come close to the 684 (UK estimate) destroyed Russian tanks. Is that list Putin's numbers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Those sub human pieces of shit do not appear to have the ability to do much other than be cruel to people who cannot defend themselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556therapy:
I’m sick of seeing Zellinsky everywhere. He’s the only dude that can be all over the so called war zone and never risk getting harmed by anything. The Austrian president came to visit in Kyiv and they strolled around town.

Are the Russians so pathetic that they can’t find this guy already? Seems like all they’d have to do is schedule a tv interview with him.

Those sub human pieces of shit do not appear to have the ability to do much other than be cruel to people who cannot defend themselves.

I always assumed one reason they beat and raped their recruits, is to make them believe behavior like that is acceptable.

I could be wrong, but the whole cycle of violence thing of abuse makes it ring true to me anyway.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Counting up EVERYTHING in that list does not come close to the 684 (UK estimate) destroyed Russian tanks. Is that list Putin's numbers?
View All Quotes

I wouldn’t expect it to since that’s one day’s worth.

Full list: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I was wondering about that myself. This war must be a golden opportunity for the US to slip in some highly trained folks to observe what's going on and document it. Curious how many are in-country.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eesmith:
I don't see the point in fucking up a perfectly good proxy war that's going our way. Shipping weapons in along with sheep-dipped guys and war enthusiasts that provide deniability was the proven option during the Cold War, I think we should stick with that.

I don't trust current Western "leadership" not to escalate though, I wouldn't be surprised if the neolib brainworm infection has reached terminal load.

I was wondering about that myself. This war must be a golden opportunity for the US to slip in some highly trained folks to observe what's going on and document it. Curious how many are in-country.

Observe?  They are actively training, fighting and capturing in fairly decent numbers.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By realwar:
China is a MUCH WORSE threat to America than Russia.
View Quote

yep. all sorts of bad stuff coming from them in the near term.

if Russia falls in the toilet I wonder how China will do without jet engines and technology they purchase from them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#7]
Originally Posted By Element94:

Glossary for acronyms please.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Element94:
Originally Posted By R0N:

Most weapons are moving toward PFF inherent in their design, even a lot of newer dumb HE rounds are PFF.  

It is one of those twisted weaponeering facts that sometimes you selection munitions designed to better cause casualties to reduce the effect on structures, if you dig into our MOUT doctrine, it actual use to say to shoot VT, time or ICM in cities to reduce rubling.

Glossary for acronyms please.

PFF is pre formed fragmentation.

Originally shells and warheads etc were steel or cast iron tubes, and fragmentation was casused by the tubes shattering from the blast. (Think M80 in a glass bottle). This caused a more random and unpredictable quantity and size of the fragments.

PFF uses pre-formed fragments of standard, uniform size. This allows for a larger number of fragments with a more even distribution (Think M80 in a jar of Daisy .177 BB's).

SAAB's MAPAM mortars uses PFF (thousands of tungsten BB's), and here you see how that effects the lethal frag radius compared to a standard Cast Iron shell body.

As shown, the use of PFF greatly increases lethal radius of fragments, making small PFF shells perform like larger conventional ones. I'm not sure how this scales though to something the size of a SRBM warhead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 53vortec:
Ok someone help me out here. I don't doubt that the Russians committed atrocities in Bucha, but why'd they do it?
View Quote

They are sub human pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#9]
Originally Posted By TTTSNB:

does not answer my questions at all.
View Quote

Pressure wave close to a large explosion causes internal damage to people, like crushing organs.
Like being crushed if you were to dive to a great depth in water.

Everything you need to know about blast injuries.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

This list is what is verifiable via photos

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mnd6563:
Russian media in Mariupol finds copy of Mein Kampf in backpack of Ukrainian soldiers...  Anyone remember when they were actually good at propaganda?

View Quote

I bet there is a sticker in the book for "Moscow Public Library"...
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
This is seems so "white trash ignorant with money" tacky to me.

https://static.themoscowtimes.com/image/article_1360/08/_124077748_13.jpg

Continues...

For Rent: Investigation Exposes Putin Mistress' Elite St. Petersburg Apartment
View Quote
That screams I have a miniature giraffe
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I wouldn’t expect it to since that’s one day’s worth.

Full list: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
View Quote

Shit! All that in ONE DAY??!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]
A detailed look at the S-300

What is the S-300? A Detailed Look
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I think you missed the "added" part.....like in addition to
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

That makes for a less than positive fitness report.
View Quote
You see Ivan if you remove 25% of your force then you have 15% less to supply. This is how you fix the supply problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#18]

I'm not talking about veterans. I'm wondering about active duty military there on orders - assuming that they are actually there. Maybe it's CIA folks and not military.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

Observe?  They are actively training, fighting and capturing in fairly decent numbers.  

I'm not talking about veterans. I'm wondering about active duty military there on orders - assuming that they are actually there. Maybe it's CIA folks and not military.

I was talking about government, not dudes that need to scratch that impossible itch.

CIA has been there for years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

The way he walks around seemingly without fear of death.
View Quote

You mean he is brave? Holy shit!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Hot of the Press ISW Battle Map Updates!

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

View Quote

Why they just sent a bunch of old Mongolians to fight?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#22]
I don't see the point in fucking up a perfectly good proxy war that's going our way. Shipping weapons in along with sheep-dipped guys and war enthusiasts that provide deniability was the proven option during the Cold War, I think we should stick with that.

I don't trust current Western "leadership" not to escalate though, I wouldn't be surprised if the neolib brainworm infection has reached terminal load.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
Originally Posted By mbinky:

Yup.  Like listening to Gen Milley.  

"Kabul can hold out for months".  Falls in 72 hours.

"Kyiv will fall in 72 hours".  Holds out for months.  

We aren't promoting our best.

"No way we're sending troops to fight in Ukraine "

Never say never is really a lesson the past two years have taught us.

I do see us using air assets at some point in some capacity.

I agree, keeping it a proxy war and ramping up support is the best option.  

I could see drones “donated”, but operated by our experts from remote being a thing.  Plausible deniability is easy there.

I just think the war crimes stuff will keep coming and NATO may buckle in and start a no fly zone, at least in western Ukraine.  Where it goes from there depends on if there are engagements, versus Russia backing off western Ukraine. If we put a no fly over Kiev and to the Belarus border, i think there is an even greater chance of escalation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

https://www.soc.mil/528th/PDFs/Title10Title50.pdf
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By elcope:
View Quote

yeah, now that Kiev is safe, everybody now has to go to Mecca and kiss the pope's ring.

never mind the first three, what was that, Poland, Czech Republic, & Slovenia, when Kiev was under fire (Mar 16th)?  Those were the brave ones, now the rest are just being trotted out for the home-town newspaper photo-op, their version of instagram likes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]

I agree, it's a damn good proxy war right now, we just need to get Ukraine some of the heavier weapons they need.  I'm surprised we haven't seen a Blackwater type PMC put together with 10,000 experienced troops.  It seems US/UK knew this was coming at least 9 months ago.  That would have been a smart move, unless we really believed back then that Ukraine wouldn't hold out for more than a week...
View Quote

Or take it one step further. The dod surpluses an armored division's worth of assets, purchased and staffed by "mercenaries". They roll east from kiev and cut off the forces in country. Western antiship missiles prevent resupply ro evac from sea.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Thats from today not total.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

They are going to use their Air Force and artillery. Russians work better at defending than attacking. This could be a long prolonged war that could last for years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#28]

UA TDF volunteer video above.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Trans: Trophies from the front near Izyum

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

My theory:

All the murder and rape happened well in advance of them being cut off and run out. "The atrocities" were part of the plan from the beginning. The cover up - crematoriums and the vans to haul off everyone to siberia - never took place. They had to do shit like quick dump bodies in the sewer because they were out of time.

... Dark as fuck, granted. I just don't see anything to disprove it.
View Quote

Russia planned to keep that territory and move russians in. Control the politics. Remove the culture and language. You know, genocide.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By realwar:
They are going to use their Air Force and artillery. Russians work better at defending than attacking. This could be a long prolonged war that could last for years.
View Quote

and it seems the Ukranians are doing pretty good at attacking, at specific points.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

Pressure wave close to a large explosion causes internal damage to people, like crushing organs.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
Originally Posted By TTTSNB:

dude looks like he just tripped and fell down. how can he be injured? shouldn't it look like he got hit with a giant invisible flyswatter?

lots of glass breaks and falls into the yard, but I don't see anything else damaged or even moving. windows on opposite building aren't affected, no damage to cars, dumpster doesn't move, tree branches don't move. how is that supposed to wiork?

why does the BARROOOOM noise go on for 10 seconds? why do the windows shatter and the webcam gets hit only in the middle of it? because there are multiple explosions and they are hit by one of them?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Can Ukraine push into Crimea with a little help now that Russia looks toothless?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

Or take it one step further. The dod surpluses an armored division's worth of assets, purchased and staffed by "mercenaries". They roll east from kiev and cut off the forces in country. Western antiship missiles prevent resupply ro evac from sea.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

I agree, it's a damn good proxy war right now, we just need to get Ukraine some of the heavier weapons they need.  I'm surprised we haven't seen a Blackwater type PMC put together with 10,000 experienced troops.  It seems US/UK knew this was coming at least 9 months ago.  That would have been a smart move, unless we really believed back then that Ukraine wouldn't hold out for more than a week...

I would love for that to happen!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Thursday everyone was saying there would be a huuuuuge WW2 sized battle in the next 48 hours. I guess that's a no-go eh?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

Can Ukraine push into Crimea with a little help now that Russia looks toothless?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

From what I’ve read earlier in this thread, Crimea has been heavily fortified over the years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That lost today....
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Now you understand what your posts look like to 95% of the people here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Translation: how "terrible" Chechens and "evil" Russian "occupiers" are dragging people out of cellars in Mariupol

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]

tl;dr version?
View All Quotes

tl;dr version?

Title 10 operations are traditional uniformed military ops. Title 50 is intel/covert type activity typically from CIA. There are different legal ramifications.

We have used SOF personnel under Title 50 operations which is what occurred for the Bin Laden raid. However, if the ground forces were captured or killed it wouldn't be classified as a military operation.

So active duty military can be used for Title 50 intel/covert operations while not technically under military orders but still operating under the authority of the US gov.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

@ITCHY-FINGER

You realize those posted numbers are one day's worth of losses, right?  Not cumulative...
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sq40:

I agree, keeping it a proxy war and ramping up support is the best option.  

I could see drones “donated”, but operated by our experts from remote being a thing.  Plausible deniability is easy there.

I just think the war crimes stuff will keep coming and NATO may buckle in and start a no fly zone, at least in western Ukraine.  Where it goes from there depends on if there are engagements, versus Russia backing off western Ukraine. If we put a no fly over Kiev and to the Belarus border, i think there is an even greater chance of escalation.
View Quote

I honestly don't understand why we don't "transfer" the Predator drones to them. They're operated out of Nevada, if I remember right. Put a Ukrainian in charge and let our guys operate it. It's how they do military hardware for fed gov LEO's.

If they want to play fuck fuck word games, fine, two can play them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Why they just sent a bunch of old Mongolians to fight?
View Quote

before

after

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Guy acts like he's immortal, like a God.
View Quote

Sure, he's "just an actor".

So was Ronald Wilson Reagan.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I honestly don't understand why we don't "transfer" the Predator drones to them. They're operated out of Nevada, if I remember right. Put a Ukrainian in charge and let our guys operate it. It's how they do military hardware for fed gov LEO's.

If they want to play fuck fuck word games, fine, two can play them.
View Quote

Lots of nasty ways to play their own game against them. While they have the support of the entire western world, why can't we find one of their planes that can be modded to take CBU-105s? Lend lease f16s?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

That's 17 tank battalions worth of tanks. The TOE posted back on page 20 or so has a BTG with a tank company, 10 tanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/btg-image01_jpg-2343559.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
Originally Posted By Drakich:
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

"unnamed sources".  US DoD sources state Russia's is operating with 80-85% of what they started with.

20% is decimated. They fucked up.

Well, technically its double decimated.

And I suspect the US estimates are conservative.  It looks like the northern forces lost around half of their troops either KIA or WIA and at least that much equipment.

Consider a Russian tank battalion, at full strength, has ~40 tanks.  Each BTG is formed around a motor rifle or tank battalion with attached artillery and support units.

As of 4 days ago, Ukraine counted 684 Russian tanks lost.  That's 17 BTGs worth of tanks.  Russia had positioned around 100 BTGs for their Ukraine invasion (out of 170 total).  Note: those 100 aren't all tank BTGs - and Russia has lost even greater numbers of light armored vehicles. So probably another 17-25 BTGs worth of equipment losses.  

Which means their equipment losses are closer to 40% of the forces committed to the invasion and 20-25% of their total active forces.

Those are absolutely catastrophic losses for 44 days of fighting.

Given the makeup of the Russian military, and the apparent use of "crack" troops, mere percentages may not tell the full story either.

If the best units fielded were crushed, and what's coming in next is patched crushed units and flotsam, the Russian conventional military as an apparent peer threat to the top 10 militaries is probably already over.

That's world changing.

That's 17 tank battalions worth of tanks. The TOE posted back on page 20 or so has a BTG with a tank company, 10 tanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/btg-image01_jpg-2343559.JPG

Yeah, let's take worst case scenario (best case for UA) - those are motor rifle BTGs getting chewed up. 684 tanks = 68 BTGs, or 70% of the invasion force.  

I doubt that is the case (but given the complete collapse and "withdrawal"/rout of the Kyiv attack, not entirely possible), but that sets the probable ceiling, so it's probably quite safe to say over half of the theater combat units that Russia started the invasion off with are no longer in good order and combat effective - and a good fraction of those units are likely more or less destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#49]

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1555 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top