Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2111 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

My take is he wants the countries who aren’t committed to enforcing the sanctions already to either stay on board or get on board the belt and road which includes Russia and not follow sanctions. China is promoting its own currency as a replacement to the dollar and an alternative banking system. Whether it’s Iran, North Korea, Venezuela or Russia they want South Americans, Africans, South Asians, etc. to look to Beijing for their economy and ditch the dollar, sanctions, etc. and long term it’s a prep for Taiwan and world reaction, sanctions on them like what’s happening with Russia. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/E94EFA17-4780-491C-8A9B-00364F3D493B_jpe-2422417.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/E9960E89-BF21-4DBF-A238-66E0B1AA36FF_jpe-2422419.JPG
View Quote

Ah, got it. The sanctions which are designed to damage the expansionist russian criminal nation are also going to damage the expansionist chinese criminal nation and they don't like it. It needs to be made crystal clear to all the western nations that supporting the sanctions will hurt the efforts of actually *TWO* nations who are basically nazi germany, and chinas leader just said so.

"Do you want more nazi germany type stuff? No? Then prevent it by supporting the sanctions. The country you save from crimes-against-humanity might be your own."
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#2]
Double post
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Uh....great let's do 4 per month until they have 100 of them.

We should have been planning for that from the start. That is, if we really wanted to win and didn't want to face a revanchist Russia again for another 100 years.
View Quote

This got posted yesterday
Heavy Weapons to Ukraine: Heavy Metal & Rock 'n' Roll
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

Some of us are old enough to remember when it was a very important location. And unfortunately, others think it still is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tomislav:
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

You know, I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, but I just can't imagine those tactics are very effective.

Maybe the Ukrainians lack for enough electronic systems, but if someone can explain to me whether/how the A-10 would do much better, given the same operating environment, I would love to know.

If MANPADs are the #1 threat, then there isn't anything except for flares or avoiding the area entirely, AFAIK.

I ran into an A-10 pilot at a German B&B years ago. He was there during a NATO war exercise.

I was talking about the planes capabilities, and he conceded that if a conflict with Russia took place, the A-10 "would have a very short and glorious life".

Attack helicopters that could pop up over tree tops and take out positions was more effective and the AF had been trying to kill the A-10 for that reason.

The A-10 was originally designed to defend the Fulda Gap.  A mountainous road that runs through a chokepoint valley.

Weird how ‘Fulda Gap’ comes up so often on GD. A completely irrelevant location.

Some of us are old enough to remember when it was a very important location. And unfortunately, others think it still is.

It was of importance to the Army during the one REFORGER I was in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]

This got posted yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4xRBuVs48
View Quote

He raises the same points I’ve posted about for weeks, anti air, timely delivery, continuous ammo and training as well as the situation development of the battlefield given the haphazard and piecemeal deliveries so far {in low quantities}
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ukrainian artillery taking out a Russian barracks.  (Russian barracks being another name for someone's nice home)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/vfastw/kraken_unit_slam_ru_barracks_in_northern_kharkiv/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

MG42/59 from Italy, not a MG3.
View Quote

Germany sent mg3's too I believe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Use some American know how and quickly develop, iterate, and produce a steel tubed M777, build a fuck ton of them, and send them. Ramp up production of arty shells and propellant, and ramp down sending shit from our own stocks. Contract AK's and ammunition from former combloc industry and send those. I dont understand why we're just sending our stock.
View All Quotes
Use some American know how and quickly develop, iterate, and produce a steel tubed M777, build a fuck ton of them, and send them. Ramp up production of arty shells and propellant, and ramp down sending shit from our own stocks. Contract AK's and ammunition from former combloc industry and send those. I dont understand why we're just sending our stock.

Hmmm  Palmetto State M777s….  
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Hmmm  Palmetto State M777s .  
View Quote
fuck it, lets do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

If only the various western governments (our own included) had the foresight of typical ARFCOM members and kept spare weapons in inventory for just such purposes. Most of the folks I know here could arm multiple other people in a crisis without ever having to touch their own SHTF firearms or ammo stash. You would think governments would keep some extra weapons in inventory too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
If only the various western governments (our own included) had the foresight of typical ARFCOM members and kept spare weapons in inventory for just such purposes. Most of the folks I know here could arm multiple other people in a crisis without ever having to touch their own SHTF firearms or ammo stash. You would think governments would keep some extra weapons in inventory too.
View Quote

Small arms, sure. Most governments have vast warehouses full of light weapons and ammunition stockpiled. Major equipment with significant capital outlay and ongoing maintenance requirements, though? Not so much.

Even those arfers with significant spare firearms and ammo are not stockpiling vehicles and equipment like Jay Leno or Dragonman. The "spare weapons" Ukraine needs are closer to airplanes or tanks in their maintenance and operational costs than they are to sealed cases of ammo and rifles in safes or bagged in cosmoline.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Let’s send our older units and replace them
With new ones.

We get new pieces, the UAF gets more artillery thats already broken in.

Win win for all parties
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
ISW assessment for June 18th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-18
View Quote

Not great, not terrible.

We need to be sending a constant stream of long range stuff and plenty of ammunition for it.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

We have unholy amounts of spare weapons.

There are about 3k spare abrams tanks in California, for example
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

Not great, not terrible.

We need to be sending a constant stream of long range stuff and plenty of ammunition for it.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
ISW assessment for June 18th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-18

Not great, not terrible.

Yea, I agree, seems bogged down for now, just hoping enough new troops and equipment will be ready this summer for offensives to push back the Russians.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Hmmm  Palmetto State M777s .  
View Quote

I'll wait on Gen 3 where the issues are mostly resolved
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

All kidding aside, the US should probably be looking to coordinate/leverage the global defense industry on this (that was definitely a strength Trump had was to directly call up these business leaders and make deals).  Turkey appears to have experience making artillery systems at large scale, but Japan's Iron Works and South Korea's Hanwha Defense are two that could be tapped into as well.  For Japan and South Korea you would want to be making towed or wheeled systems - something you could airlift (or just send critical parts such as barrels somewhere else).  I'm not sure if 155mm systems would be that useful in a China/Taiwan scenario - maybe it makes more sense to have them focus on rocket systems to warm up supply chain as a demonstration of what it can spin up to.  South Korea obviously has had to think hard about an artillery threat - their K239 system looks pretty interesting with its 239 mm rockets.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
"Russian troops began to use T-62 tanks for an offensive in the Popasnaya area. Also, T-64 tanks are being removed from storage and transferred to the front.
Apparently, the Russian Federation is experiencing a shortage of more modern T-80 and T-72/90 tanks, so you have to use very old tanks."

View Quote

First time I've ever seen an Electric A-B-A Loco arrangement.  Time to fire up Wiki is check that shit out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

First time I've ever seen an Electric A-B-A Loco arrangement.  Time to fire up Wiki is check that shit out.
View Quote

Not unusual - those are designed to run that way. (My grandfather ran them)
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By nomansland:

All kidding aside, the US should probably be looking to coordinate/leverage the global defense industry on this (that was definitely a strength Trump had was to directly call up these business leaders and make deals).  Turkey appears to have experience making artillery systems at large scale, but Japan's Iron Works and South Korea's Hanwha Defense are two that could be tapped into as well.  For Japan and South Korea you would want to be making towed or wheeled systems - something you could airlift (or just send critical parts such as barrels somewhere else).  I'm not sure if 155mm systems would be that useful in a China/Taiwan scenario - maybe it makes more sense to have them focus on rocket systems to warm up supply chain as a demonstration of what it can spin up to.  South Korea obviously has had to think hard about an artillery threat - their K239 system looks pretty interesting with its 239 mm rockets.
View Quote

Those polish krabs, based on the South Korean k9, are absolutely
Dynamite.

Ukraine got 18 for free, bought 56 more, and is looking to get 60 more
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Dynamite.

View All Quotes

Dynamite.

That's a good point - I almost listed them as well but wasn't sure what Poland's manufacturing capacity was or if they might be more focused on internal needs (I'm seeing Huta Stalowa Wola has licensed the barrel so they do make it in house) since I saw they only had 62 themselves.  The Turkish T-155 Firtina is a K9 license as well and they have 300 (South Korea has 1200 K9s but I suspect they feel they need them and I'm not sure they could get there that quickly anyway).  Ukraine doesn't have to convince Poland what is on the line (they've definitely been helping as much as possible).
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Ukraine News report on the sinking of the Vasily Bekh

The Russian tugboat Vasily Bekh, which the Ukrainian Navy hit with Harpoon missiles this morning, sank. The head of the Odesa Regional Military Administration Maksym Marchenko announced this.

"This morning, our Naval Forces hit the support vessel of the Black Sea Fleet Vasily Bekh, on board of which the TOR air defense system was installed. Later it became known that it sank," Marchenko said in a video address...
Oh hell, they sunk the Russian tug boat. That means the black sea fleet wont be going very far from port. Wont risk it without a way to get back.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

79% finished.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Let's send our older units and replace them
With new ones.

Win win for all parties
View Quote
The issue is the titanium.  I would like to see steel tubes because that Ti is more expensive in every way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#28]
The issue is the titanium.  I would like to see steel tubes because that Ti is more expensive in every way.
View Quote

I understand why, when we're manufacturing at a peacetime pace, we use Ti and other materials and exquisite precision to create the best, lightweight, capable towed artillery piece we can.

I'm sure if we got on an accelerated footing, we could make them much more quickly, out of high quality steel, and they'd only weigh at most a couple hundred pounds more. Call it an "XM777-SP"

At some point, those guns in UA service will need to be rebarreled, I hope UA local industry can come up with a way to adapt steel barrels they can produce, or get as spares for other systems, to keep their guns on the line.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
"Russian troops began to use T-62 tanks for an offensive in the Popasnaya area. Also, T-64 tanks are being removed from storage and transferred to the front.
Apparently, the Russian Federation is experiencing a shortage of more modern T-80 and T-72/90 tanks, so you have to use very old tanks."

View Quote

How embarrassing this is for the Ruskies...
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#30]
View All Quotes

With new ones.

Win win for all parties

Steel tubes, as the in barrel?  The M776 cannon itself is made of autofrettaged, ordnance steel.  The titanium in the M777 is the carriage and stabilizer

The originally fielded 777s were fielded with non-chrome lined M776 cannons, which they discovered after years of use that the Modular Artillery Charge System’s, titanium wax additives forms a ceramic buildup in the tubes hurting accuracy and reducing barrel life.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"Marines of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine began to seize British armored vehicles Mastiff

In the south of Ukraine, intensive training of units of a separate battalion of the Marine Brigade. Rear Admiral Mykhailo Ostrohradsky until further assignment.
During the exercises, the Marines mastered all types of weapons provided by our partners, in particular, the video shows the use of Mastiff patrol cars (6x6)

Step by step to Victory!"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-00_jpg-2421154.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-06_jpg-2421156.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-07_jpg-2421160.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-01_jpg-2421161.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-06__2__jpg-2421163.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-05_jpg-2421164.JPG
View Quote
This one training event is more than most of the Russian military will ever see
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Zelensky's advisor was requesting 1000 155mm howitzers and 300 MLRS.  To put that in context, I added up what all the NATO countries have, but I did exclude the US:

155mm towed ~700 total (400 of which are Turkey's Panters)
155mm SP - 1566 (300 are Turkey's T-155 Firtina with L52, 420 are Greece M109 L39 not sure specific variant)  293 PzH 2000's owned by several countries.
There are less than 200 total MLRS

Romania (436), Hungary (283), Bulgaria (150), Poland (111), and Czech Republic (86) have 152mm systems listed (either towed or SP).  Finland (545), Bulgaria (506), Poland (362) and Romania (218) list 122mm systems.  I know the administration says they've exhausted these supplies but those would be the ones to check and see if there is any left or what manufacturing capability exists (esp the 122mm).
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]
"   This is how they treat wounded Kadyrovites in the LPR - FUCK   "

View Quote
Just look at those helmets and he just might be dead
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:37:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#34]
For a truck mounted rocket artillery system, the South Korean K239 Chunmoo in many ways looks like a better solution than HIMARS. It can carry 3 different types of rockets (130mm, 227mm and 239mm), in addition to carrying several types of short range ballistic missiles. As far as I know, it can use the same standard 227mm rockets used in our MLRS/HIMARS systems. And unlike the HIMARS, the K239 retains two pods per launcher (12 rockets) just like the M270 MLRS system. The HIMARS only has 1 pod of 6 rockets. And best of all, the K239 only costs around $5 million per unit.

K239 Chunmoo MLRS Live Fire Exercise

You would think that Ukraine would be trying to get their hands on some of those. It seems like it offers more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
For a truck mounted rocket artillery system, the South Korean K239 Chunmoo in many ways looks like a better solution than HIMARS. It can carry 3 different types of rockets (130mm, 227mm and 239mm), in addition to carrying several types of short range ballistic missiles. As far as I know, it can use the same standard 227mm rockets used in our MLRS/HIMARS systems. And unlike the HIMARS, the K239 retains two pods per launcher (12 rockets) just like the M270 MLRS system. The HIMARS only has 1 pod of 6 rockets. And best of all, the K239 only costs around $5 million per unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHqc8JN52Y

You would think that Ukraine would be trying to get their hands on some of those. It seems like it offers more bang for the buck.
View Quote

The HIMARS is built to a weight limit that precludes a second pod. If the US was willing to use a heavier truck, more rockets could be carried. Also, pods fitting other caliber rockets into a US compatible pod have been engineered.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Great Britain has apparently committed 20+ M109s after the meeting yesterday. Canada, Poland and the Netherlands have also reportedly committed to sending more arty.
View Quote

I’m guessing these are the Belgian m109s
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I am pretty sure the barrels are steel, the titanium is used for other parts.

Even if it does cost money send them good stuff, not water down units. They have to fight a war with it
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

79% finished.
View Quote

Kinda feel bad for the ups guy delivering the one I order

Not!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]
"Azerbaijani 82-mm 20N5 mortars were seen in the service of the Ukrainian army. Earlier, Azerbaijan did not publicly declare the supply of any military equipment or weapons to Ukraine.

We remind you that on February 22, 2022 (exactly two days before the beginning of the SVO), the Moscow Declaration on Allied Cooperation between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Russian Federation was signed."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_15-47-50__2__jpg-2421411.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_15-47-51_jpg-2421412.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_15-47-50_jpg-2421413.JPG
View Quote
thats a small 82mm round the guy is holding, looks more like a 60mm
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Dynamite.

View All Quotes

Dynamite.

Yep they are tearing shit up with thise krabs
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

With new ones.

Win win for all parties

Steel with chrome lined tubes
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Yep they are tearing shit up with thise krabs
View Quote

The AARs I’ve seen sound good. Not seeing much complaints so far.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: broken_reticle] [#44]

The AeroScope info has been known for a while.  I know enough about some of the intel to say there is a bit more assistance going on.

The scary part is the US gov is a fairly large consumer of DJI.

If anyone was going to ever consider the use of a drone in a tactical situation if might *cough* to consider something besides DJI.

Pixhawk and INAV are open source and free.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#45]

View All Quotes

With new ones.

Win win for all parties

Tube is an euphemism for the barrel of a cannon, the M777’s barrel, the M776, has always been made of steel.  When the M776 cannons for the M777 were fielded, to cut cost they had bare steel interiors.  After years of use a problem known as spiral wear that effected accuracy and tube life started to occur. Starting in 2016, the bare metal barrels were replaced with barrels with chrome platting on the interior that mitigated the titanium build up from firing MACS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]

ARNG also has an SFAB besides active duty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co1PWJy3EEA
View All Quotes

It’s been ongoing for a long time. The Air National Guard was interacting with Ukraine before 9/11 but this program took on a new focus post Crimea. We have ARF members who were there in 2018 with the Tennessee ARNG if I recall. Honestly I’ve been expecting 10th SFG and one of the SFAB units to assist Ukraine in Poland and Romania. In my opinion the Ukrainians are demonstrating proficiencies obtained from working with the ARNG annually. Specifically tactical initiative, thinking outside of the box, redundancies etc. they’re not doing tre old Soviet model crap. Russia is reverting to tried and true to try and compensate for their failures. Which leads us right back to NATO leadership providing timely, continuous and relevant support. When Ukraine is getting nibbled as it’s saying we need ammo, we’ll, where the fuck is that ammo? You don’t want to send fighters? Okay, where’s the fucking ammo? You can’t leave people hanging. If Ukraine man’s their reserves, NATO trains & equips, then Kiev doesn’t have to worry about what is available to lead. Right now the inconsistencies are playing out on the battlefield and notice I have zero posts or threads besmirching UA over tactical setbacks. Given the situation compared to the Iraqi vs Isis, Kabul vs the Taliban, etc. the Ukrainians have demonstrated their resolve and ability to take training and equipment and succeed. The strategic failures all fall on European lack of true leadership and Biden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-Bg6POnbI

ARNG also has an SFAB besides active duty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co1PWJy3EEA

Most fucked up branch ever
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#48]
M777 vs 2 orc BMP

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#49]
foootage of ammo depotit was  hit by balistic missle

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2111 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top