Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3449 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

My 2 biggest fears at the moment are:

- Russians becoming less incompetent/ adapting and fighting harder, plus

- sanctions failing and becoming less and less effective as the Russians develop work-arounds.

We have debated the “frog boil” approach often here.  But I believe it may be time to significantly turn up the heat, if we are serious about winning this war.

ATACMS would be a good start. Agreeing to supply more Abrams, and eventually F-16s, would be better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I think end of February, 1st part of March is going to redefine what "bad" means.  I hope more of those tanks, fighting vehicles, ammunition, etc. gets to Ukraine than they have been talking about.  They are going to need them.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the next 6 months are going to be extremely bloody.  I hope the West accelerates the delivery of aid.  Ukraine is going to need it.

My take as well.

Russian Army / Wagner are getting less retarded, and Putin is doubling down on his commitment to the war.

- sanctions failing and becoming less and less effective as the Russians develop work-arounds.

We have debated the “frog boil” approach often here.  But I believe it may be time to significantly turn up the heat, if we are serious about winning this war.

ATACMS would be a good start. Agreeing to supply more Abrams, and eventually F-16s, would be better.

I really don't see Ukraine being able to win / really reverse the Russians without ATACMS or similar long range fires.

Without a way to hit enemy logistics and equipment within 100% of Ukraine, the Russians will always have a 'safe space' to reorganize and keep the war going within Ukraine.

Similar to the problem the US faced not being able to hit the NVA/VC in Laos or Cambodia, or target the Taliban once they entered Pakistan.

Without ATACMS, basically anything 70km from the front (outside HIMARS range) is 'Pakistan' for Russians.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote
Another Russian civil war
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toaster] [#3]
Not for this thread
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Look in upper right of video, from the first days of the war.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Its a good thing they used the F22 since its so stealthy. Not sure an F18 or F15 could have snuck up on a balloon. Can you imagine the embarrassment in losing a dogfight to a balloon.
View Quote

Not so stealthy in a clear blue sky and leaving a contrail.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:

Not so stealthy in a clear blue sky and leaving a contrail.

View Quote
That was a cleaver smokescreen
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a good thing they used the F22 since its so stealthy. Not sure an F18 or F15 could have snuck up on a balloon. Can you imagine the embarrassment in losing a dogfight to a balloon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoJfcTbWYAM8UQB?format=jpg&name=360x360

That may end up being the only kill recorded by a Raptor

I assumed they wanted to continue EW on it until it hit the water but IDK.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Opinion Hal Brands
Biden’s Escalation in Ukraine Is About Diplomacy Not Victory
Massive shipments of sophisticated Western arms are intended to avoid a long stalemate and bring Putin to the table.

https://archive.fo/8HSHO

The US doesn’t want the war to drag on forever, because it is turning much of Ukraine into a wasteland while taking a toll on Western treasuries, arsenals and attention.

So Biden aims to help Ukraine dial up the pressure on Russian forces, and perhaps shift the lines further in its favor, as a pathway to negotiations after the next phase of the fighting has ended

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
As second mobilization looms, Russian men are staying put (for now)
Russians have various views on an impending new draft — along with strategies to evade it.

https://www.politico.eu/article/second-mobilization-russia-men-vladimir-putin-ukraine-war/

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]

I really don't see Ukraine being able to win / really reverse the Russians without ATACMS or similar long range fires.

Without a way to hit enemy logistics and equipment within 100% of Ukraine, the Russians will always have a 'safe space' to reorganize and keep the war going within Ukraine.

Similar to the problem the US faced not being able to hit the NVA/VC in Laos or Cambodia, or target the Taliban once they entered Pakistan.

Without ATACMS, basically anything 70km from the front (outside HIMARS range) is 'Pakistan' for Russians.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I think end of February, 1st part of March is going to redefine what "bad" means.  I hope more of those tanks, fighting vehicles, ammunition, etc. gets to Ukraine than they have been talking about.  They are going to need them.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the next 6 months are going to be extremely bloody.  I hope the West accelerates the delivery of aid.  Ukraine is going to need it.

My take as well.

Russian Army / Wagner are getting less retarded, and Putin is doubling down on his commitment to the war.

GLSDB “only” has a range of 150km,  but it’s much much cheaper than ATACMS, and easier to produce more.  Hopefully those will begin deliveries soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Zelensky-"No one will surrender Bakhmut. We will fight for as long as we can. We see Bakhmut as our fortress... "

Why? What is so great about Bakhmut that it is worth fighting to the death? I understand it's political value to russia. The only value I see to Ukraine is to prevent russia from having a PR victory.
View Quote

Ukrainuan propaganda? Maybe really pull out as exit starts closing?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoKkqu1XoAArGrx?format=jpg
View Quote

Each died for something greater than themselves. Much respect for these soldiers. RiP
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TacticalDeletion:
I have read almost every page of this thread since it began. Ignore the assholes and drive on. This war is bigger than us and valuable information shared in this thread has enabled real supplies to go towards the war effort. It has also allowed the sharing of information to donate money, supplies and other lifesaving means to help defeat the enemy. Move on from the personal insults and let's get back to war sharing.

Slava Ukraina!
View Quote

Fully agreed.  

Let's not forget the several times someone has posted a request for the link to make charitable donations (via specific arfcommers) in this thread.

In fact I would not be the least bit surprised that trolls and other Ukraine haters are disrupting this thread *with the express purpose* of lowering visibility and accessibility of those charity/support orgs.  

If for only that reason, I think this thread should remain highly-visible right here in GD...and thank every troll post for the bump.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]

I understand why the US abandoned the "rods from god" program. But I would love the messaged it would send if "something" just fell from space and hit that thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Yep I don't see it.  Can someone circle the area of interest

I understand why the US abandoned the "rods from god" program. But I would love the messaged it would send if "something" just fell from space and hit that thing.
The extended family was camping. a nephew was inside his orange tube tent with a light on.

"Can you see me?"

A sister and I look at each other and I reply "No"
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#17]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
In other news, an F-15 is shooting down the Chinese balloon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoJELj_XEAQXFG9?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

This should have been done over the Aleutian Islands or somewhere else in Alaska. Allowing this balloon to traverse the entire USA and western Canada is beyond stupid.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

This should have been done over the Aleutian Islands or somewhere else in Alaska. Allowing this balloon to traverse the entire USA and and western Canada is beyond stupid.
View All Quotes

This should have been done over the Aleutian Islands or somewhere else in Alaska. Allowing this balloon to traverse the entire USA and and western Canada is beyond stupid.
We are so used to the Soviet spy satellites traversing the US.  Back in the 80s I was at a base in NM, and was told "quiet time".  We tracked the soviet satellites and had a procedure
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Their male population is being annihilated and there were even recent reports that they’ve started drafting women.  The Russians are doing Ukraine’s post-war work for them - annihilating the Russian powerbase in east Ukraine. Whatever is left at the end of the war should be deported to Russia.
View Quote

or put to work as slave labor cleaning up the mess they made.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
We are so used to the Soviet spy satellites traversing the US.  Back in the 80s I was at a base in NM, and was told "quiet time".  We tracked the soviet satellites and had a procedure
View All Quotes

Good point, and this time it was something very visible to the public, and nobody liked what was happening.   I think it's going to be easier to do things in the future preparing against China after this episode.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow air freighting it.
View All Quotes
Wow air freighting it.

Okay, we're defenceless now, you can start your invasion.

Alberta first, please.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Good point, and this time it was something very visible to the public, and nobody liked what was happening.   I think it's going to be easier to do things in the future preparing against China after this episode.
View All Quotes

We need to wonder what the chicoms were attempting. The old procedures are still in place, I expect they saw nothing
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#23]
We need to wonder what the chicoms were attempting. The old procedures are still in place, I expect they saw nothing
View All Quotes

I agree, and think they didn't see anything either.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Stevo89:

Okay, we're defenceless now, you can start your invasion.

Alberta first, please.
View Quote
When Canada was selling off tanks a few years ago they decided to not sell to individuals. We tried to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
These are really starting to add up.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
So are they taking this seriously now or is this just so they can shrug a little more about Leopard 2s?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Oh damn
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Thanks for paying your taxes! Just think what they could do if you paid your fair share.

ETA: maybe we could buy utensils and napkins for the break room. Maaaybe even some coffee…. Wild man, I know.
View Quote

I enjoy paying taxes for:

1. National defense and border patrol.

2. Infrastructure maintenance.

3. Law enforcement and a civil court process.

4. Killing Communists.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn’t get smashed up upon  impact over land?

There’s no doubt in my mind that thing was c5isr’d upon discovery so it wasn’t like it was helping the Chinese anymore hanging out up there.

Would love to know when they detected it was there.

On the Ukrainian announcement that they’re not leaving Bakhmut: I think they want the Russians to believe that so it may take focus off other areas of the front.

Ukraine (in my opinion) is competent enough not to stay there if the attrition isn’t in their favor, regardless of what the announce publicly.

I wonder how OPSEC is going, probably better evidenced by all the crackdown on traitors.I remember earlier in the war folks saying you couldn’t announce tactical missions too early to men because word would get out. Wives are chatty Kathy’s!
View Quote

Anything that drops 60,000+ feet into the water will get demolished unless a parachute becomes operative.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Ukraine's basically fighting Zombies armed with guns and artillery. Just an endless, expendable horde that keeps coming.
View Quote

Until they don't....
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Opinion Hal Brands
Biden’s Escalation in Ukraine Is About Diplomacy Not Victory
Massive shipments of sophisticated Western arms are intended to avoid a long stalemate and bring Putin to the table.

https://archive.fo/8HSHO

The US doesn’t want the war to drag on forever, because it is turning much of Ukraine into a wasteland while taking a toll on Western treasuries, arsenals and attention.

So Biden aims to help Ukraine dial up the pressure on Russian forces, and perhaps shift the lines further in its favor, as a pathway to negotiations after the next phase of the fighting has ended

View Quote

Who in this world would want any war to go on forever? Biden will be history before this war ends.

Bringing Putin to the table should be very similar to Longshank's dealings with William Wallace, not the movie version, the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

RIP, heroes one and all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#33]

View Quote

Never has there been a nation and society whose people so willingly fought for the freedom of others. God rest their souls.

We will make yinz proud. It’s our duty.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Another Russian civil war
View Quote

I'm not that optimistic. I have a strong feeling that 95 percent of these guys' compatriots have no idea who they are and what statements they make in Brussels.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#36]

4. Killing Communists.
View All Quotes

Thanks for paying your taxes! Just think what they could do if you paid your fair share.

ETA: maybe we could buy utensils and napkins for the break room. Maaaybe even some coffee…. Wild man, I know.

4. Killing Communists.

Amen
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Never has there been a nation and society whose people so willingly fought for the freedom of others. God rest their souls.

We will make yinz proud. It’s our duty.
View Quote

Death to tyrants!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#38]

Anything that drops 60,000+ feet into the water will get demolished unless a parachute becomes operative.
View All Quotes

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn’t get smashed up upon  impact over land?

There’s no doubt in my mind that thing was c5isr’d upon discovery so it wasn’t like it was helping the Chinese anymore hanging out up there.

On the Ukrainian announcement that they’re not leaving Bakhmut: I think they want the Russians to believe that so it may take focus off other areas of the front.

Ukraine (in my opinion) is competent enough not to stay there if the attrition isn’t in their favor, regardless of what the announce publicly.

I wonder how OPSEC is going, probably better evidenced by all the crackdown on traitors.I remember earlier in the war folks saying you couldn’t announce tactical missions too early to men because word would get out. Wives are chatty Kathy’s!

Terminal velocity is the limiting factor with that much distance to accelerate

ETA: we’re not arguing whether there will be damage. We’re just debating which is worse. Ground or water
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#39]

View Quote

Heroes, every one of them.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#41]

ETA: we're not arguing whether there will be damage. We're just debating which is worse. Ground or water
View All Quotes

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn't get smashed up upon  impact over land?

There's no doubt in my mind that thing was c5isr'd upon discovery so it wasn't like it was helping the Chinese anymore hanging out up there.

On the Ukrainian announcement that they're not leaving Bakhmut: I think they want the Russians to believe that so it may take focus off other areas of the front.

Ukraine (in my opinion) is competent enough not to stay there if the attrition isn't in their favor, regardless of what the announce publicly.

I wonder how OPSEC is going, probably better evidenced by all the crackdown on traitors.I remember earlier in the war folks saying you couldn't announce tactical missions too early to men because word would get out. Wives are chatty Kathy's!

ETA: we're not arguing whether there will be damage. We're just debating which is worse. Ground or water
The remnants of that big ass balloon will act as a fairly effective drag chute while it descends.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
The remnants of that big ass balloon will act as a fairly effective drag chute while it descends.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn't get smashed up upon  impact over land?

There's no doubt in my mind that thing was c5isr'd upon discovery so it wasn't like it was helping the Chinese anymore hanging out up there.

On the Ukrainian announcement that they're not leaving Bakhmut: I think they want the Russians to believe that so it may take focus off other areas of the front.

Ukraine (in my opinion) is competent enough not to stay there if the attrition isn't in their favor, regardless of what the announce publicly.

I wonder how OPSEC is going, probably better evidenced by all the crackdown on traitors.I remember earlier in the war folks saying you couldn't announce tactical missions too early to men because word would get out. Wives are chatty Kathy's!

Yea I wasn’t sure what happened there. Thought it looked like it broke loose of the balloon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Not good

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:
Not good

View Quote

Around 6:30pm ET.
Bakhmut shade!

The situation remains difficult. The enemy is trying to dislodge our forces from Krasnaya Gora, enter Paraskoviivka, and is attacking Bakhmut itself from three sides. The situation near the highway to Kostyantynivka is close to critical, but so far it is possible to restrain the horde of katsaps, which does not stop trying to cut the road.

DeepStateUA
BAHMUT.LIFE!
City Chat | Write to us

https://t.me/bakhmut_life/20042
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama_Rebel] [#46]
Russian tank get's it's ass on fire.

Same video as above, more context:  
View Quote

That tank looked like the batmobile taking off. Russian tank commander lives his life one quarter mile at a time, and doesn't look back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Another clip from Russian talk shows, repeating the line "who needs the world if Russia is not in it?"

View Quote

As always, there is nothing more important than russian pride.

With the width and depth of the sanctions being leveled against russia, I think this time the west has decided to take russias scalp, and fuck their pride.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Interesting. Looks like my SAM-7. Including the terrible stock...
View Quote

I love that stock!
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:
Not good

View Quote

No that's not good. I think this large assault has been expected to come though. Hope they can hold.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3449 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top