Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4004 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woozman:

I’m never quite sure how to read these but I do know those are the highest concentrations hit numbers I’ve seen in a single day if I’m not mistaken
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woozman:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Shaping operations.

I’m never quite sure how to read these but I do know those are the highest concentrations hit numbers I’ve seen in a single day if I’m not mistaken

I use it to help guess what Russian casualties might be in the next day or so. I just average 50 kia per manpower concentration.  You are correct that we have not seen this kind of tempo since the last offensive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Spade:

As a history guy, statements similar "we hope to have this wrapped up by Christmas" make me nervous.
View Quote
I hope it means they have all the intel, all the assets either on hand or on the way, all the manpower and a solid plan for an overwhelming military force to expel Russia at the right moment. And enough international political and sanction support to keep Russia out. Short of a nuke, that looks like the best case scenario.

Russian SMO:

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Bet they take that m-03 highway at the northern tip and zip down and flank the hell out of them over the weekend.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv7jJ13XwAEu65h?format=jpg&name=large

Bet they take that m-03 highway at the northern tip and zip down and flank the hell out of them over the weekend.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the maps.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Now if Patriotic Americans can do the same with Hollywood, sportsball and all those who hate freedoms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Multiple sources just cranking these things out and sending them to the front.

View Quote

The chinese parts makers must be working hella overtime to be able to supply the parts for all those. Ironic that ChinaIsAsshoe is on the side of Russia but chooses to knowingly sell parts to all comers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Stalingrad. The Germans took 99% of the city, only the river bank remained in Russian hands. Then the Russian counteroffensive broke the German lines to the north and south, encircled the ruined city.
View Quote

The Stalingrad parallels have been so strong, I've wondered how much it has affected both sides' view of the Bakhmut battle. Stalingrad took such root in the Russian culture and all -- at least in the military/political culture.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#8]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#10]

Russia has significantly reduced the number of launches of Kalibr cruise missiles over Ukraine. This is due to the fact that the aggressor state is trying to solve the dilemma of how exactly to use this expensive weapon.

The Russian leadership is trying to decide whether to spend the Calibers to try to prevent a Ukrainian counteroffensive or to save them for a hypothetical conflict with NATO. This was announced by the Ministry of Defense of Great Britain in a new summary.
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1656912473570639874

"On the night of May 8-9, 2023, ships of the Russian Black Sea Fleet carried out eight launches of SS-N-30a SAGARIS ("Caliber" cruise missiles) over Ukraine. Since March 9, 2023, this was only the second use of these missiles Russian Navy. The Russian Navy launched the Caliber several times until March 2023. Russia probably temporarily halted the use of this weapon as it wanted to restore its reserve stockpile," the statement quoted the British Ministry of Defense as saying.

British intelligence believes that in the short term, the aggressor state may consider "Caliber" as one of the key tools for strikes across the entire territory of Ukraine. This is how the Russians plan to thwart a future Ukrainian counteroffensive.

However, currently the military command of the Russian Federation is faced with a dilemma.

"More strategically, Russia also sees the Kalibr and other cruise missiles as playing an important role in any hypothetical conflict with NATO. How to use these scarce and expensive weapons is one of the many dilemmas facing Russian commanders as the war in Ukraine is lasting much longer than they originally planned," the British Ministry of Defense noted.

It will be recalled that on May 6, the Air Force of the Ukrainian Armed Forces confirmed the downing of the Russian Kinzhal hypersonic missile in the sky over Kyiv region . This happened during a massive missile attack by Russian troops on Ukraine on the night of May 4.
https://war.obozrevatel.com/ukr/istorichna-podiya-v-povitryanih-silah-pidtverdili-zbittya-rosijskoi-giperzvukovoi-raketi-kindzhal-u-nebi-nad-kiivschinoyu.htm

This downing was the first downing in history of the Russian "Kalibr", which the Russians called a "hypersonic missile" and assured that it was impossible to shoot it down.

The Russian Ministry of Defense digested the information about the downing of "Knzhal" for a week - and finally reacted , declaring that it was "impossible...
https://news.obozrevatel.com/ukr/society/protrimalis-tsilij-tizhden-v-minoboroni-rf-nareshti-vidreaguvali-na-zbittya-raketi-kindzhal.htm

"The American Patriot air defense system could not shoot down the Dagger because it is not capable of intercepting targets at such a speed," the Russians said
View Quote

L O L
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I saw an interview not to long ago from retired and active F-16 pilots and they said that the F-16 would not have a chance against the Russian AD in theater,  and that the F-16 would be no use to the Ukrainians.  There is just not enough F-16's to give them to be effective due to the amount they would lose to try and make them useful.   The Migs/fulcrum are doing just about what the F-16 would be able to do. but idk im not a fighter pilot
View Quote

Any you can find "Spec Op" military firearms experts who will tell you that the AR-15 is the same weapon they use over in XXXX and will bounce through the body and blow a man's heart out with a hit to the foot.

The F-16 has better radar, better electronic warfare and longer range weapons, so of course it can't even do as much as the Soviet fighters can.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
With the way Zelensky and his cabinet dress I'm starting to think Ukraine is run by an IT department
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv7RMKrWcAApf1U?format=png&name=small
With the way Zelensky and his cabinet dress I'm starting to think Ukraine is run by an IT department

As an IT guy for several decades, I'd rather have smart and strategic thinking IT people in charge than crooked and slimy lawyers like we have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wwglen:

Any you can find "Spec Op" military firearms experts who will tell you that the AR-15 is the same weapon they use over in XXXX and will bounce through the body and blow a man's heart out with a hit to the foot.

The F-16 has better radar, better electronic warfare and longer range weapons, so of course it can't even do as much as the Soviet fighters can.
View All Quotes

I saw an interview not to long ago from retired and active F-16 pilots and they said that the F-16 would not have a chance against the Russian AD in theater,  and that the F-16 would be no use to the Ukrainians.  There is just not enough F-16's to give them to be effective due to the amount they would lose to try and make them useful.   The Migs/fulcrum are doing just about what the F-16 would be able to do. but idk im not a fighter pilot

We also had stealth at the last major airwar taking out the sam/cc sites in the 90's.  The ukranians don't have that and those fighters would likely get blown out of the sky.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
So Ukraine promised now to target Russia with their shiny new tools.

Does that include Belarus?  Because there are some nice juicy targets there that are now within range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]

We also had stealth at the last major airwar taking out the sam/cc sites in the 90's.  The ukranians don't have that and those fighters would likely get blown out of the sky.
View Quote

The Ukrainians seem to be doing just fine using their MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters. If they can survive in this threat environment I think the F-16 will be able to manage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Do they get shit done? Yes.  No one gives a damn how they dress when they are grinding Ruskies to pieces.  Heck, they can wear clown outfits for all I care.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Good point, maybe they are jettisoned after launch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ike838:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv3B3dxWIAAIK8u?format=jpg&name=900x900

Looks smooth till you get to the landing gear. Does a suicide drone need landing gear?

Good point, maybe they are jettisoned after launch.

Lots of RC planes start on a set of wheels that they just rest on, and then when the lift off the wheels just stay on the ground.  When they land the just belly land.  Could be that they have wheels that drop off or stay on the ground, and the belly landing is just explosive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:51:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]

L O L
View All Quotes

Russia has significantly reduced the number of launches of Kalibr cruise missiles over Ukraine. This is due to the fact that the aggressor state is trying to solve the dilemma of how exactly to use this expensive weapon.

The Russian leadership is trying to decide whether to spend the Calibers to try to prevent a Ukrainian counteroffensive or to save them for a hypothetical conflict with NATO. This was announced by the Ministry of Defense of Great Britain in a new summary.

"On the night of May 8-9, 2023, ships of the Russian Black Sea Fleet carried out eight launches of SS-N-30a SAGARIS ("Caliber" cruise missiles) over Ukraine. Since March 9, 2023, this was only the second use of these missiles Russian Navy. The Russian Navy launched the Caliber several times until March 2023. Russia probably temporarily halted the use of this weapon as it wanted to restore its reserve stockpile," the statement quoted the British Ministry of Defense as saying.

British intelligence believes that in the short term, the aggressor state may consider "Caliber" as one of the key tools for strikes across the entire territory of Ukraine. This is how the Russians plan to thwart a future Ukrainian counteroffensive.

However, currently the military command of the Russian Federation is faced with a dilemma.

"More strategically, Russia also sees the Kalibr and other cruise missiles as playing an important role in any hypothetical conflict with NATO. How to use these scarce and expensive weapons is one of the many dilemmas facing Russian commanders as the war in Ukraine is lasting much longer than they originally planned," the British Ministry of Defense noted.

It will be recalled that on May 6, the Air Force of the Ukrainian Armed Forces confirmed the downing of the Russian Kinzhal hypersonic missile in the sky over Kyiv region . This happened during a massive missile attack by Russian troops on Ukraine on the night of May 4.
https://war.obozrevatel.com/ukr/istorichna-podiya-v-povitryanih-silah-pidtverdili-zbittya-rosijskoi-giperzvukovoi-raketi-kindzhal-u-nebi-nad-kiivschinoyu.htm

This downing was the first downing in history of the Russian "Kalibr", which the Russians called a "hypersonic missile" and assured that it was impossible to shoot it down.

The Russian Ministry of Defense digested the information about the downing of "Knzhal" for a week - and finally reacted , declaring that it was "impossible...
https://news.obozrevatel.com/ukr/society/protrimalis-tsilij-tizhden-v-minoboroni-rf-nareshti-vidreaguvali-na-zbittya-raketi-kindzhal.htm

"The American Patriot air defense system could not shoot down the Dagger because it is not capable of intercepting targets at such a speed," the Russians said

L O L

I guess no one in Russia calculated the terminal velocity mach-equivalent of the TBM/IRBM targets that the PAC-3 was designed to intercept and extrapolated the data to "hypersonic" missiles (which operate on a "flatter" trajectory) that operate in lower (denser) altitudes, which improves the axial maneuvering dynamics of the interceptor missile.  Rookie Mistake!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Interesting. The Oplot seems to be a pretty capable tank but I wonder how they plan to get them back into production? They were produced at a factory in Kharkiv which I have to assume has been thoroughly destroyed by Russian bombardment over the past year plus.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6p4HhWYAAOi6w?format=jpg&name=900x900

Interesting. The Oplot seems to be a pretty capable tank but I wonder how they plan to get them back into production? They were produced at a factory in Kharkiv which I have to assume has been thoroughly destroyed by Russian bombardment over the past year plus.

Production may be conducted in a neighboring NATO state, as it currently is with their Bohdana SPGs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Damn straight.  Makes you wonder what is going on inside Germany to ensure accountability?    Is Schroeder still under investigation?  Or are the Germans hoping to sweep it all under the rug?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

As an IT guy for several decades, I'd rather have smart and strategic thinking IT people in charge than crooked and slimy lawyers like we have.
View Quote

True.  My experience from targeting meetings was that our Signal Corps people (who lived and breathed networks) had real insight on both how things really work and how to really screw the enemy at the Operational (and sometimes Strategic) Level.  The JAGs, no so much!  
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#27]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv8FCAWX0AUQ0X3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv8Fc3AXgAQDIzs?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

We'll have to see how this shapes up in the coming days and weeks, but I think Russian forces really are exhausted in and around Bakhmut. Looking at the Ukrainian units involved, I'm certain that this isn't the big counter offensive. The Ukrainian units involved (like third assault brigade) have been fighting in and around Bakhmut for a while, which means that Russian forces in the area are now losing ground to the same units they've been fighting for months. To me, that's indicative of them having exhausted themselves. We'll see how much the Ukrainians can capitalize on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAEJGeAeh4
View Quote

I think that’s the first FPV Javelin I’ve seen the whole war.  Something on the horizon ate it, that much you can see.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Damn straight.  Makes you wonder what is going on inside Germany to ensure accountability?    Is Schroeder still under investigation?  Or are the Germans hoping to sweep it all under the rug?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

I guess it depends on how much Russian money was sent to the Germans doing the investigating on if Shroeder got Russian money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#30]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv8FCAWX0AUQ0X3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv8Fc3AXgAQDIzs?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Jesus, that city might be encircled in days by Ukraine. Amazing how fast this is all happening now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

We'll have to see how this shapes up in the coming days and weeks, but I think Russian forces really are exhausted in and around Bakhmut. Looking at the Ukrainian units involved, I'm certain that this isn't the big counter offensive. The Ukrainian units involved (like third assault brigade) have been fighting in and around Bakhmut for a while, which means that Russian forces in the area are now losing ground to the same units they've been fighting for months. To me, that's indicative of them having exhausted themselves. We'll see how much the Ukrainians can capitalize on it.
View Quote

If they can punch through Russia's lines, ukr could pour the counter offensive through that point. Can keep going east or pivot south.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

If they can punch through Russia's lines, ukr could pour the counter offensive through that point. Can keep going east or pivot south.
View Quote

I suspect the CO will be in multiple areas, and the Russians, all ready stretched thin, will not be able to move and counter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Shaping operations.

View Quote

Wow, look for a heavy KIA count in the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Makes you wonder if Russia thinks this is a decoy and is holding back forces from Bakhmut….and if that’s the case I hope Ukraines forces keep pushing until Russia reacts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#35]

The Ukrainians seem to be doing just fine using their MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters. If they can survive in this threat environment I think the F-16 will be able to manage.
View All Quotes

That's my take on it as well. Obviously Ukraine won't be sending a Package Q style strike against Moscow with them, as that would be suicide, but Vipers would be able to get a lot of work done at the FLOT, especially if Ukraine is also using GMLRS, Storm Shadow, ect to strike key enemy IADS components.

If they can come in under the SA-21 coverage and start lofting GBU-31s from outside SHORAD range at all these WWI style fixed fortifications Russia is currently manning, I think the Ukrainians would be able to break through Russian lines and quickly retake their land.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv71aAvWYAgA2KE?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv71aAxXgAEIAAq?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

"technical failure"

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Large Russian military base in Luhansk city has just been hit. People are already speculating that this strike was carried out with a Storm Shadow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Sure. I'm just saying that with the resources committed, it's not the big one just yet. It could turn into a Kharkiv like offensive, or it could force the Russians to commit more forces to stabilize the area, thus opening up opportunities for the Ukrainians elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:

I suspect the CO will be in multiple areas, and the Russians, all ready stretched thin, will not be able to move and counter.
View Quote

That's essentially my take, as well. I think we can expect to see probing attacks and localized counter offensives in many places. The Russians will either be forced to commit forces to stopping these localized counter offensives (stretching themselves thin and leaving the door open for successful Ukrainian offensives elsewhere), or risk allowing them to become large breakthroughs in and of themselves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Large Russian military base in Luhansk city has just been hit. People are already speculating that this strike was carried out with a Storm Shadow.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Production may be conducted in a neighboring NATO state, as it currently is with their Bohdana SPGs.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6p4HhWYAAOi6w?format=jpg&name=900x900

If they're truly interested in NATO membership, jumping on the K2 bandwagon with Poland, on the surface, looks like a better move. At the least, they should dust off their 120 model, which is still a 25 year old design.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Gooch] [#42]
So Ukraine promised now to target Russia with their shiny new tools.

Does that include Belarus?  Because there are some nice juicy targets there that are now within range.
View Quote
I'd like to imagine the Ukrainian diplomats were struggling to hold back their giggles as they promised to the UK to not to use the Storm Shadows on "Russian Territory".

"These Storm Shadows will be used for defensive purposes!" [snicker]"They will, they will!" "They will not be used to attack Rus...BWAHAHAHA...oh boy."

The Dictator 2012 - Aladdin's speech about nuclear weapon

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

"We got the game on!"

Eastwood: We're Pulling Out And Pushing Forward!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#44]
View Quote

Whatever weapon was used, it sure seems to have found something delightfully flammable. That's a lot of angry black smoke.

Might have been GLSDB too, looks to be on the edge of range for that. Find something with abundant fuel and you don't need a large primary charge to make a big mess like that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

You totally missed my point. I clarified in a post just after that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
As we near page 4000 of a 3 page war I want to once more thank the posters that make this tread the go to news source.

I firmly am of the opinion that this is the big one in determining the world order for the next 50 or 100 years.
When the Ukrainians halted Russian expansion they sent a message to all the despots and shitholes that pine for a old timey wars of conquest. China, Iran ect would have been hugely embolded to play fuck fuck games on the world stage. India and it's new found cock sucking anti Western media also seemed to forget that actual Indian people do best when functioning in western societies, and life in that sewer masqerading as country will forever remain shit for the large as long as they stick with their toxic commie like culture and superstitions

Russia has proven themsleves the AIDS of the international comunity. In the end once more the Russian people's actual enemy is the Russian.gov, they had the oppertunity to not go in with the tarded cult of personality redux but for some reason it was like a moth to a flame.

So once more a big thanks to the contributers here and that make this tread a must visit for daily updates. The wide variaty of sources posted and analysis of what's going on are unmached by any media outlet IMO
(If I'm leaving anybody out sry, off the top of my head and random order):

@AlmightyTallest
@Prime
@m35ben
@Fadesun
@Easterner
@Ryan_Ruck
@ArmyInfantryVet
@Capta
@AROKIE
@MelGibsonEnthusiast
@ITCHY-FINGER
@Swede1986
@ludder093
@dillydilly
@gentlemanfarmer
@Lorazepam
@Ryan_Scott
@CPT_CAVEMAN
@GTLandser
View Quote

That's very kind of you to say, thank you. I have also been impressed with the contributions and analysis that others were willing to contribute!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Luhansk is in range of a few systems they have been using for a while.

At the beginning of the war, every tank hulk was a Javelin victim.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lightning_P38] [#48]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]

L O L
View All Quotes

L O L

Objectively the only choice is to use them up now on military/logistic targets that might provide some benefit.
The idea that the limited number of LR PGMS they still possess will have a significant effect against NATO is laughable.
Their mistake was using them all up in the counterproductive effort against Ukraine’s grid.  If they hadn’t, I think you could have a conversation about the best use of that stockpile.  Now, Russia really has no conventional leverage against NATO.
I said a long time ago that I thought the mutually agreed plan was for an already-damaged Ukraine to soak up the Russian LR PGM stockpile, and Russia cooperated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

View Quote
I'm not saying its bad
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4004 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top