Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5445 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Imagine a totally autonomous Q-ship equipped with a bunch of drones, sea-drones, mines, missiles, etc...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gatetraveller:

I've been thinking along the same Q-Ship line for a while now, but I was thinking of something in the more traditional sense. Merchant ship armed with guns, torpedoes, etc...

Your idea with both airborne and seaborne drones is a lot more stealthy and easier to hide or deny evidence.

Very interesting!

Imagine a totally autonomous Q-ship equipped with a bunch of drones, sea-drones, mines, missiles, etc...

I forgot about mines.

Drone mines would be an interesting concept. Something that goes dormant or "sleeps" until a ship passes within engagement range and then it engages the target.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
45 minutes ago, Russian sources.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHmXCmkXcAAvsPp?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#3]
Interesting.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]

It's something that could be used maybe once or twice and maybe end up leading to innocent shipping being attacked (by mistake or for retaliation). But if this Op could be seen as 100% Ukrainian, what more could Russia do besides yet another tantrum missile attack.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

I've been saying it for a while.

Ukrainian or other allied Q ships getting deniable ISR support from USN would wreck bush league navies like Russia, Iran, or NK and would annihilate their shipping.  

Buy some merchies covertly and load them up with attack drones (air, surface, and subsurface), cruise missiles, ect. Set the ships up so they can sail around autonomous in a limited fashion as needed and you can offload the crews to fast boats and shuffle them around if/when an enemy combatant moves to intercept.  It could be as simple as just setting an autopilot course and bugging out until the threat passes, then return if the ship wasn't attacked, or remote scuttle it if the enemy attempts to board, or with a bit more effort you could rig a satcom/starlink terminal to remote control the autopilot and radios to maneuver and answer radio challenges.  The fast boats could be used to launch the attacks further away from the motherships as well.  The biggest problem I see is that our adversaries could use similar tactics against us.

It's something that could be used maybe once or twice and maybe end up leading to innocent shipping being attacked (by mistake or for retaliation). But if this Op could be seen as 100% Ukrainian, what more could Russia do besides yet another tantrum missile attack.

True; however, the negative publicity would presumably go against Russia.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#5]
Great footage, watch for the FPV hover around the IFV after it leaves the troops off and runs back.  Then a Bradley comes and wipes out the infantry, NSFW.

This happened thanks to the successful hits of the attack UAV company in cooperation with the legendary Bradley crews.

Tomorrow - a new video and even more liquidated occupiers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.

View Quote

Looks like France is polishing up their middle finger.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]

The first two pictures are the new Russian OF56IM 122mm munition with the increased by 4km range.

On the last two pictures are the PLA artillery.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

View Quote

Is the FFL like Blackwater or is it state sponsored 100%?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Great footage, watch for the FPV hover around the IFV after it leaves the troops off and runs back.  Then a Bradley comes and wipes out the infantry, NSFW.

View Quote

Right at the end of the video it looks like Ukrainian troops coming in from the left. I wonder if that is a future video?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

View Quote

Part of the army I believe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.

View Quote

Russia can't be induced to negotiate, or to accept any compromises whatsoever, unless they are at risk. As long as they're beating Ukraine in straight combat, there can never be a negotiated settlement other than Ukraine's surrender. If the west had provided sufficient aid to inflict military defeat on Russia, and they/we could have, that could provide enough inducement to get Putin seriously contemplating concessions. Failing that, the only way to change the calculus is to risk greater. Given what Putin was investing on the Ukraine invasion, it always required substantial risk from the west to counter (otherwise, the choice was to let Russia conquer Ukraine). The risk was not taken in terms of sending equipment, so this is another way to add risk. France is a nuclear power on their own, besides being a NATO member. France has a navy (better than Russia's) and could really alter Russia's strategic position.

It's an interesting gambit. It would be nice to see Macron pushing the EU to clamp down on sanctions evasions, and tax the heck out of Russian grain imports (see earlier post). But this could work too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Right at the end of the video it looks like Ukrainian troops coming in from the left. I wonder if that is a future video?
View All Quotes

The burning vehicle is different from the BTR-80 that dropped off the troops. It had tracks and the treeline around it is completely different from where the BTR got hit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#14]

Any additional info on those channels mentioned?

A) certain parts of the Bundeswehr are talking about a possible delivery, weighing up options to be prepared in case of a “go” from Berlin to save time.

B) there is full confidence in the capabilities of the Ukrainian army — the German Luftwaffe is said to have enormous respect for the performance of the Ukrainian air force, especially named was the performance of the Patriot air defence systems

I don't want to go into anything else for obvious reasons.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Regarding the 20 plus bodies around a Russian tank posted earlier.

“In fact, a whole platoon was ambushed there. It was near Stepove, the higher command, of course, should be asked questions if there was an ambush. If those were cluster munitions, then it’s stupid to blame anyone.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

It’s part of the Army. Successful service is one way to get French citizenship. I hear the boot camp is brutal AF.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting.

View Quote

Well done France.  Russia, you gonna nuke em for a few
French soldiers fighting  you in Ukraine?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

A) certain parts of the Bundeswehr are talking about a possible delivery, weighing up options to be prepared in case of a “go” from Berlin to save time.

B) there is full confidence in the capabilities of the Ukrainian army — the German Luftwaffe is said to have enormous respect for the performance of the Ukrainian air force, especially named was the performance of the Patriot air defence systems

Since the Russians obviously already have the info…..what’s the big “revelation” about the Taurus he’s alluding to?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Full text here, translated from Russian to German.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Since the Russians obviously already have the info…..what’s the big “revelation” about the Taurus he’s alluding to?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

I can't read or understand the German and Russian subtitles of the 38 minute audio exchange, but it seems the Germans were looking at setting up Taurus to work on Ukrainian Su-24's.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Full text here, translated from Russian to German.

View Quote

"Transcript of a conversation between high-ranking officers of the Bundeswehr on February 19, 2024
On February 19, 2024, the following conversation took place between the Head of Operations and Exercises of the Bundeswehr Air Force Command, Grefe, the BBC Bundeswehr Inspector, Gerhartz, and the employees of the Air Operations Center of the Bundeswehr Space Command, Fenske and Frostedte.

Gerhartz: I greet you all! Grefe, are you in Singapore right now?

Grefe: Yes.

Gerhartz: Good. We need to verify the information. As you have heard, Defense Minister Pistorius will closely examine the issue of supplying Taurus missiles to Ukraine. We arranged a meeting with him. Everything needs to be discussed so that we can start working on this issue. So far, I don't think there is any indication as to when these deliveries will begin. It's not like the Chancellor said to him: "I want to have information now, and we'll make a decision tomorrow morning." I didn't hear that. On the contrary: Pistorius evaluates this entire discussion that has developed. Nobody knows why the Chancellor is blocking these deliveries. Of course, the most incredible rumors arise. An example: Yesterday a journalist who is very close to the Chancellor called me. She had heard somewhere in Munich that the Taurus rockets wouldn't work. I asked her who told her that. She replied that someone in a military uniform had told her that. Of course, this is an insignificant source of information, but the journalist took these words and wants to turn them into a news story with the headline: "Now we know why the Chancellor rejects the Taurus missiles - they don't work." The whole thing is stupid. Such topics are only accessible to a limited number of people. But we see the nonsense that is being spread now, complete nonsense. I would like to agree with you on this issue so that we do not move in the wrong direction. First: I now have questions for Frostedta and Fenska. Has anyone spoken to you about this? Were you approached by Freuding?

Frostedte: No. I only spoke to Grefe.

Fenske: Same, I just spoke to Grefe.

Gerhartz: He will probably get back to you. I will probably have to attend the Budget Committee hearings because there have been problems with the price increase for the infrastructure conversion for the F-35 in Büchel. I have already passed on my recommendations to Frank that we have slides to visualize the material. We showed him a test presentation where the Taurus missiles were mounted on a Tornado carrier or other carrier required for the mission. However, I have little idea about that. You have to remember that this is a half-hour meeting, so you shouldn't prepare a 30-slide presentation. It should be a short presentation. We have to show what the rocket can do and how it can be used. We must consider what the consequences could be if we make a political decision to supply missiles as aid to Ukraine. I would be grateful if you could tell me not only what problems we have, but also how we can solve them. For example, when it comes to how to deliver... I know how the British do it. They always transport them in Ridgback armored cars. They have a few men on site. The French don't do that. They deliver Q7s with Scalp missiles to Ukraine. Storm Shadow and Scalp have similar specifications for their installation. How are we going to solve this problem? Will we put MBDA missiles with Ridgback in their hands? Will any of our people be assigned to the MBDA? Grefe, tell us what our position is on this issue. Messrs. Fenske and Frostedte, tell us how you see the situation.

Grefe: I'll start with the most sensitive questions, with the current criticism of the supply side. The discussions take place almost everywhere. There are several of the most important aspects here. Firstly, there is the timing of deliveries. If the Chancellor now decides that we should deliver rockets, then the Bundeswehr will take them over. Good, but they won't be ready for use until eight months later. Second: We cannot shorten time. Because if we do that, there could be a mistaken deployment, the rocket could fall on a kindergarten, and again there will be civilian casualties. These aspects must be taken into account. When negotiating, it is important to remember that we cannot do anything without the manufacturer. You can equip, upgrade, deliver the first missiles. We can catch up on production a little, but we shouldn't wait until we get 20 pieces, we can deliver five at a time. The delivery time for these missiles directly depends on the industry. Who will pay them? Another question is which weapon systems these missiles should be installed in. How should interaction between the company and Ukraine be maintained? Or have we set up some kind of integration?

Gerhartz: I don't think so. Because the manufacturer TSG has said that it can solve this problem within six months, regardless of whether it is a Sukhoi or an F-16.

Grefe: If the Chancellor decides to do this, then it must be agreed that the production of the brackets alone will take six months. Third: Theoretically, the question of training could affect us. I already mentioned that we are working with a rocket manufacturer. You train the maintenance of these systems and we train the tactical application. This requires three to four months. This part of the training can take place in Germany. When the first rockets are delivered, we must quickly decide how to assemble and train them. We may need to turn to the British on these issues to utilize their expertise. We can provide you with databases, satellite images, planning stations. Apart from the rockets themselves, which we have, everything else can be supplied by industry or IABG.

Gerhartz: We have to imagine that they can use aircraft with mounts for Taurus missiles and Storm Shadow. The British were there and equipped the planes. The systems are not that different, they can also be used for Taurus. I can tell you about the experience with the Patriot system. Our experts initially expected long periods of time, but they managed it in just a few weeks. They managed to get everything up and running so quickly and in such volume that our employees said, "Wow. We didn't expect that." We are now fighting a war that uses far more modern technology than our good old air force. This all suggests that we should not overvalue time when planning it. And now, Mr. Fenske and Frostedte, I would like to hear your opinion on possible deliveries to Ukraine.

Fenske: I would like to concentrate on the question of training. We have already studied this question and when we are dealing with personnel who already have the relevant training and are being trained in parallel, it takes about three weeks to pre-learn the equipment and only then go straight to it Air force training, which lasts about four weeks. So it's significantly less than 12 weeks. Of course, all this is provided that the staff is qualified, the training can be carried out without an interpreter and a few other things. We have already spoken to Ms. Friedberger. If it is a combat operation, then we are advised to provide de facto support to at least the first group. It is difficult to plan, the training of our employees took about a year and we are now trying to shorten this time to ten weeks and at the same time hope that they will be able to compete with a car designed for Formula 1 to drive off-road. One possible option is scheduled technical support, which could theoretically be provided from Büchel provided a secure connection to Ukraine is established. If this were available, then it would be possible to plan accordingly. This is the base scenario as a minimum - full support from the manufacturer, support from the User Support Service, which will solve problems with the software. Basically everything is the way it is in Germany.

Gerhartz: Wait a moment. I understand what you're saying. Politicians may be concerned about Büchel's direct, closed communication with Ukraine, which could mean direct involvement in the Ukrainian conflict. But in this case we can say that the exchange of information will take place via the MBDA and we will send one or two of our specialists to Schrobenhausen. This is of course tricky, but from a political perspective it probably looks different. If the exchange of information goes through the manufacturer, it has nothing to do with us.

Fenske: The question will arise as to where the information goes. If it involves target information, which ideally includes satellite images with a maximum accuracy of three meters, then we first have to process this in Büchel. I think that regardless of this, we can somehow organize the exchange of information between Büchel and Schrobenhausen, or we can work out the possibility of transmitting information to Poland, to places where we can go by car. This question still needs to be studied in more detail, there will certainly be possibilities. If we have support, in the worst case scenario we could even travel by car, which would shorten the response time. Of course we wouldn't be able to respond within an hour as consent would have to be given. In the best case scenario, the aircraft cannot carry out the mission until six hours after receiving the information. An accuracy of more than three meters is enough to hit certain targets, but if you want to refine the target you have to work with satellite images that make it possible to simulate it. And then the response time can be up to 12 hours. It all depends on the goal. I haven't studied this question in detail, but I believe this option is also possible. We just have to think about how we can organize the transmission of information.

Gerhartz: Do you think we can hope that Ukraine can do everything on its own? It is well known that there are many people there in civilian clothes who speak with an American accent. So it's entirely possible that they will soon be able to serve themselves? After all, they all have satellite images.

Fenske: Yes, they get them from us. I would also like to briefly address the issues of air defense. We should think carefully about whether we have equipment in Kiev to receive information from the IABG and the NDK. We have to supply them with it, so I have to fly there on February 21st, we have to plan everything optimally, not like Storm Shadow where we planned checkpoints. We need to figure out how to fly around or below the radar visibility sector. If everything is prepared, training will be more effective. And then we can return to the question of the number of missiles. If you provide 50 pieces, they will be used up very quickly.

Gerhartz: Exactly, it will not change the course of military operations. That's why we don't want to hand them all over. And not all at once either. Maybe 50 in the first tranche, then maybe there will be another tranche of 50 rockets. That's completely understandable, but it's all big politics. I suspect what's really behind it. I learned from my French and British colleagues that with these Storm Shadow and Scalp it's basically the same as with the Winchester rifles - they may ask: "Why should we deliver the next tranche of missiles because we have already delivered, should Germany do that now?" Maybe Mr. Frostedte has something to say on this topic?

Frostedte: Let me add a little pragmatism. I would like to offer my thoughts on the features of Storm Shadow. We are talking about air defense, flight time, altitude and so on. I've come to the conclusion that there are two interesting targets - the bridge to the east and the ammunition depots above. The bridge to the east is difficult to reach, it's a fairly flat target, but the Taurus can do it, and the ammunition depots can also be hit. Taking all of this into account and comparing it to how much Storm Shadow and HIMARS were deployed, the question that comes to mind is, "Is our target the bridge or the ammunition depots?". Is this achievable with the current shortcomings that RED and y Patriot have? And I've come to the conclusion that the limiting factor is that they typically only have 24 charges....

Gerhartz: That's understandable.

Frostedte: It makes sense to connect Ukraine to the TTR. That would take a week. I think it makes sense to think about task scheduling and central planning. Task scheduling in our connection takes two weeks, but if there is interest in it, it can be done faster. When we think about the bridge, I think Taurus is not enough and we need to have an idea of ​​how it could work and for that we need data from satellites. I don't know whether we can train Ukrainians for such a task in a short period of time, and we are talking about a month. What would a Taurus attack on the bridge look like? From an operational perspective, I cannot estimate how quickly the Ukrainians will be able to learn how to plan such an operation and how quickly the integration will take place. But since we're talking about the bridge and the military bases, I assume they want to get them as quickly as possible.

Fenske: I would like to say something about the destruction of the bridge. We have studied this issue extensively and have unfortunately come to the conclusion that the bridge is like a runway due to its size. Therefore, she may not need 10 or even 20 missiles.

Gerhartz: There is an opinion that the Taurus will be successful through the use of the French Dassault Rafale fighter aircraft.

Fenske: They will only succeed in making a hole and damaging the bridge.

And before we make important statements, we ourselves...

Frostedte: I'm not promoting the idea of ​​the bridge, I want to understand pragmatically what they want. And what we have to teach them. So it turns out that when planning these operations we need to point out the key points in the images. You will have goals, but you have to remember that small goals require more careful planning than analyzing images on a computer. With confirmed goals, it is easier and less time-consuming to plan.

Gerhartz: I mean, we all know that they want to destroy the bridge, what that ultimately means, how it is guarded - not only because it is important militarily and strategically, but also politically. However, they also have a land corridor at the moment. There are some concerns if we have a direct connection to the Ukrainian armed forces. Therefore, the question will arise whether we can use such a trick and send our people to MBDA. So the direct connection with Ukraine will be only through MBDA, which is much better than if there is such a connection with our Air Force.

Grefe: Gerhartz, that doesn't matter. We must ensure that there is no wording from the outset that makes us a party to the conflict. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but if we now tell the minister that we will arrange meetings and drive a car out of Poland without anyone noticing - that is already participation, we will not do that. If it is a manufacturer, then you first have to ask the MBDA if they can do this. It doesn't matter whether our people do it in Büchel or in Schrobenhausen - that's still participation. And I think you shouldn't do that. We have identified this as an important element of the red line from the beginning, so we will participate in the training. Let's say we prepare a roadmap. It is necessary to divide the learning process into parts. The long route will last four months and we will train them thoroughly, including working out the variant with the bridge. The short route will take two weeks so they can deploy the missiles as quickly as possible. If they are already trained, we will ask the British if they are prepared to use them at this stage. I believe that such an action would be right - imagine if the press found out that our people are in Schrobenhausen or that we are traveling in cars somewhere in Poland! I consider such an option unacceptable.

Gerhartz: If such a political decision is made, we should say that the Ukrainians should come to us. We first need to know whether such a political decision is not a direct participation in the planning of tasks, in which case the training will take a little longer, they will be able to carry out more complex tasks, which is quite possible since they already have some experience and use high-tech equipment. If there is a way to avoid direct involvement, we cannot participate in task planning, do it in Büchel and then pass it on to them - that is a red line for Germany. We can train them for two months, they won't learn everything, but they can do something. We just have to make sure that they can process all the information and work with all the parameters.

Grefe: Seppel said that you can create a long and a short timetable. It's about getting results in a short time. And if the task at the first stage is to hit ammunition depots, and not complex objects like bridges, then in this case you can tackle a shortened program and get a quick result. As far as the information from the IABG is concerned, I do not consider this problem to be critical, because they are not tied to a specific location, but have to do their own research. It is clear that efficiency depends on this. That's what we talked about, that it's worth taking into account when laying missiles. That hasn't been decided yet. But it is accepted.

GERHARTZ: And that will be an important point. There are ammunition depots that will not receive short training because of the very active air defense. This needs to be addressed seriously. I think our people will find a solution. We just need to be given permission to try first so we can give better policy advice. We need to be better prepared so that we don't fail because the KSA may have no idea where the air defense systems actually are. The Ukrainians have this information, we have radar data. But when it comes to accurate planning, we need to know where the radars are, where the fixed installations are and how to get around them. This will allow for more precise planning. We have a super facility, and if we have the exact coordinates, we can apply them precisely. But there's no reason to say we can't do it. There is a certain scale where politically there is a red line, there is a "long" path and a "short" path, there are differences here in terms of using the full potential that Ukrainians can use better over time, because they have practice, they will do it all the time. I think I personally shouldn't attend the meeting. It's important to me that we make a sober assessment and not add fuel to the fire like others do by delivering Storm Shadow and Scalp.

Grefe: I mean, the longer it takes them to make a decision, the longer it will take us to implement all of this. We need to break things down into phases. Start with the simple and then move on to the complex. Or we can turn to the British, can they support us in the initial phase, take over the planning? We can push forward what is within our area of ​​responsibility. The development of mounts for rockets is not our task; Ukraine has to solve this itself with the manufacturers.

Gerhartz: We don't want to get ourselves into trouble because of the budget committee. This could make it impossible to start construction on the Büchel Air Base in 2024. Every day counts in this program."

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#25]
Thanks for the English translation Prime, an unfortunate leak, it seems legit to me.

From the data for the Taurus missiles and the mission planning for their waypoints around Russian air defense systems using both German and Ukrainian info.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]

As a German, I can say that the leaked audio sounds 100% authentic. If this is indeed a real conversation between high-ranking members of the Bundeswehr, then it shows that ⬇️

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]

That's one way to deal with a meat assault.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Leonardo eyes an Italian gun for Rome’s new Leopard 2 tanks

Told you that the Italian industry wanted their share.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Major Munitions Transfers from North Korea to Russia

February 28, 2024, by Joseph S. Bermudez Jr., Victor Cha and Jennifer Jun

Key Findings

Ammunition supplies have become critical in the Ukraine war. CSIS studied hundreds of commercially available satellite images since August 2023 on the continuing transfer of large quantities of munitions between North Korea and Russia.

Notably, we find that vessel movement continues between Najin in North Korea and Dunai and Vostochny Port in Russia, along with some changes in vessel activity between these locations since late December 2023. These voyages have reportedly supported the transfer of more than 2.5 million rounds of artillery shells and other munitions.

We find that since August 2023, there have been at least 25 different visits to Najin for the loading of munitions from North Korea to be delivered to Russia. Additionally, at least 19 “dark vessels” – vessels with their AIS transmissions turned off to avoid outside detection – have visited Vostochny Port in Russia to both unload and load containers from the port.

There is also active expansion of infrastructure at Tikhoretsk Munitions Storage Facility, Mozdok Munitions Storage Facility, and Yegorlykskaya Airfield, which has been converted into a munitions storage facility to store ammunition closer to the front lines of the war.

While denuclearization of the DPRK remains the goal of U.S. policy, stopping North Korea’s munitions transfers should become the proximate priority given its implications for the war in Europe and Indo-Pacific security.

All tools should be considered in such an effort, including PSI-type interception (although the routes used by Russia make this difficult). While sanctions remain the tool of choice (including secondary sanctioning), incentives should also be considered to exploit the DPRK’s innate paranoia of becoming too reliant on any one party for sustenance.  

The Ukraine war has “become a battle of ammunition,” as NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg stated last month as NATO signed an ammunition deal to help replenish Ukraine’s depleted stockpiles.

1 Russia, on the other hand, has turned to North Korea and Iran. The transfer of North Korean munitions to Russia began last year, as confirmed by the White House on October 13, 2023. Last month, the White House further stated that a series of North Korean-produced missiles have been fired into Ukraine from Russia, and the South Korean Defense Minister estimated more than 2.5 million rounds of North Korean artillery shells have been supplied to Russia since August 2023.

2 The White House also estimated that between September and late February, North Korea has shipped “more than 10,000 containers of munitions or munitions-related materials to North Korea.”

3 The Ukrainian Prosecutor General has also accused Russia of firing at least 24 North Korean KN-23/24 series missiles in recent weeks.4 In return, North Korea is suspected of seeking a range of Russian military technologies.5

CSIS analysis of hundreds of commercially available satellite imagery since August, along with other open-source information, shows the continuing transfer of large quantities of munitions between North Korea and Russia. Notably, dark vessel movement between Najin (Rason/Rajin) in North Korea and Dunai (Dunay) and Vostochny Port in Russia continues to be observed, along with some changes in vessel activity between these locations since late December 2023.

Additionally, active development and expansion of existing infrastructure in Russia to store the munitions closer to the front lines of the war are observed at the Tikhoretsk Munitions Storage Facility, Mozdok Munitions Storage Facility, and Yegorlykskaya Airfield, which has been converted into a munitions storage facility.

Finally, analysis of satellite imagery was undertaken for both the North Korea-Russia Tumangang-Khasan rail crossing and Vladivostok International Airport to explore the potential use of these locations in ongoing or future transfer operations.

Continued at link, because there are just too many great images to skip.

https://beyondparallel.csis.org/major-munitions-transfers-from-north-korea-to-russia/

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the English translation Prime, an unfortunate leak, it seems legit to me.

From the data for the Taurus missiles and the mission planning for their waypoints around Russian air defense systems using both German and Ukrainian info.

View Quote

You bet.

Russia’s been absolutely laid bare, best believe they’ll return the favor whenever possible.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

That video was the best I ever saw regarding hits from the Bradley main gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

View All Quotes

Wow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Are we sure all these su-34 losses are real?  Seems like there's no proof given for most of them lately.  When the a-50 went down we all saw the footage and a giant flaming wreckage, same for the earlier su-34 shoot downs.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine is trying to improve front line morale by saying the su-34s glide bombing them are gone.  

I normally wouldn't suspect this, but zelenskies ridiculous 31k dead figure got me wondering.  If they're doing so well, taking down Russians at a 13-1 ratio and downing fighters daily why do they keep saying everything is so dire, and that they'll lose if we don't immediately step up.

If things are going bad they need to tell the truth so we'll realize the urgency of the situation.  Instead all I see are red x su-34s daily and endless scenes of Russians getting helplessly massacred by fpv drones.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#36]
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:
Are we sure all these su-34 losses are real?  Seems like there's no proof given for most of them lately.  When the a-50 went down we all saw the footage and a giant flaming wreckage, same for the earlier su-34 shoot downs.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine is trying to improve front line morale by saying the su-34s glide bombing them are gone.  

I normally wouldn't suspect this, but zelenskies ridiculous 31k dead figure got me wondering.  If they're doing so well, taking down Russians at a 13-1 ratio and downing fighters daily why do they keep saying everything is so dire, and that they'll lose if we don't immediately step up.

If things are going bad they need to tell the truth so we'll realize the urgency of the situation.  Instead all I see are red x su-34s daily and endless scenes of Russians getting helplessly massacred by fpv drones.
View Quote

Most of them. There were about five I wondered about, AT provided info on SAR beacon data on some of those. I would not be surprised if a couple turned up getting repaired somewhere.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Well done France.  Russia, you gonna nuke em for a few
French soldiers fighting  you in Ukraine?
View Quote

Since Russia has already made repeated claims of fighting actual NATO troops in Ukraine of all types and varieties, I dont think actual French troops will change the calculus much. One negative aspect to screaming hyperbolic nonsense from day one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#38]

View Quote

I found an alternate source for the video of this attack, it is in two parts:

ETA: this video is also an object lesson in the difference between concealment and cover.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

State sponsored 100% with a long storied legendary  history.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Ukraine made the naval drones sinking Russian warships 'deadlier' by arming them with bigger warheads, general says

Exploding drone boats, one of Ukraine's more innovative weapons as it battles Russia's Black Sea Fleet without a proper navy, have become even bigger threats over time.

Ukrainian naval drones have been used to damage and sink Russian warships, as well as target infrastructure, since their introduction in 2022. The hits have been increasingly devastating.

A general in the Security Service of Ukraine, or SBU, said these systems have received major upgrades over the course of the war and are now "stronger, more efficient, and deadlier" than they were before.

"In 2024, we have completely different parameters for drones," Brig. Gen. Ivan Lukashevych, whose team has carried out a handful of the drone boat operations, said in translated remarks shared with Business Insider.

"Especially compared to the ones we first tested in October 2022 to attack Russian warships in the Sevastopol Bay," he said. "We realized the flaws with those first drafts, but the manufacturer could not foresee these things, because at that time there was no expertise in the world for such highly technical drones."

To compensate for its lack of a navy, Ukraine has sought to develop what it calls "the world's first fleet of naval drones." That effort is centered around an uncrewed surface vessel, or USV, called Sea Baby. Kyiv is attempting to build up an arsenal of these systems and recently launched a fundraising initiative to secure donations to purchase dozens of additional Sea Babies for the SBU.

These drones have been deployed in numerous operations around the Black Sea, damaging and destroying Russian warships — including one just a few weeks ago — and even hitting a key bridge that links the occupied Crimean peninsula with mainland Russia.

Experts have said the cheap and remotely operated Sea Babies give Ukraine an asymmetric advantage against Russia, which has been unable to consistently stop them. And while that hasn't stopped Moscow from trying to adapt to this threat, Kyiv is staying ahead by giving the drones upgrades.

The first modification to the Sea Babies that Lukashevych presented was an increase in warhead size; according to the Ukrainian government, the drones are capable of delivering a heavy explosive payload of nearly 1,900 pounds. The next notable upgrade was "an improvement in seaworthiness," ensuring they could sail in waves of nearly five feet.

The third improvement was making sure the Sea Babies could travel a distance twice as far as that between Odesa, a port city in southern Ukraine, and Sevastopol on Crimea's southwestern coast. In a straight line across the Black Sea, it is roughly 190 miles between the two cities. The drones now have a range of over 600 miles, putting a lot more Russian targets in reach.

Ukraine also "wanted to make them reusable, to be both cheaper and more efficient," Lukashevych said.

Beyond physically upgrading its Sea Baby drones, the SBU also uses multiple locations to manufacture and test the drones. There are constant relocations, and special operations are even carried out from different command posts in different areas — all to stay ahead of the Russians.

The naval drone attacks have ultimately helped Ukraine batter Russia's Black Sea Fleet, even forcing some of it to relocate farther away from its headquarters in Crimea, and open up a maritime corridor in the region.

Last month, Ukraine said it had destroyed or damaged dozens of Russian warships since the full-scale invasion began more than two years ago, and as of early this month, Ukraine had effectively destroyed about a third of the Black Sea Fleet.

"If there is a threat," Lukashevych said, "we will definitely find it, localize it, and destroy it."

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-made-naval-drones-deadlier-larger-warheads-general-says-2024-3

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Orc BREM-1 with drone cage and the "Triton" drone jammer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:

View Quote

I don't think 31K dead Ukrainians is that ridiculous. I've always believe the AFU reported Russian losses includes both KIA & WIA, and that was recently confirmed. So 100K dead Russian invaders against 31K dead Ukrainian defenders passes the smell test to me.

Things are going badly. The positional conflict has been entirely one-way since November, with all the gains on the Russian side. Okay, it's not much by area, but the trend is negative.

The air numbers also pass the smell test. Russia went very offensive with air power on Avdiivka, which contributed greatly to their taking of that stronghold. They're making gains by taking this risk. Reported earlier in the thread, Russia's launching over 100 sorties a day, so the aircraft kills are actually pretty small. Ukraine needs to kill a LOT more planes to make the current airpower edge for Russia go away. Over 100 sorties a day and only a couple planes a day getting hit? They're going to keep flying. Sending meat to the grinder is what Russia excels at.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Nice slow motion video.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Skyranger 30 A3

The Gepard successor for the German Bundeswehr.

They ordered 19...

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Like a turkey shoot.  Those ORCs had no chance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

It was amazing footage. Horrible for the orcs. But seemed a little less energetic then in the past vids. Rounds did not appear to have any HE effects.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/ddljqd4.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/6eDKdh6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/cGXqTmh.jpeg

Skyranger 30 A3

The Gepard successor for the German Bundeswehr.

They ordered 19...

View Quote

It may not look as slick, but the programmable 35mm ammo is a step up compared to Gepard.  I think they just should have updated the Gepards with the new guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Is anyone else getting the feeling things are about to escalate?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5445 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top