Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5484 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Twitter X says Biden is finally going to send ATACMS in a 300 million dollar aid package?

It’s about fucking time..it’s criminal how many Ukrainians had to die as he still had options to help and didn’t.

* Prime beat me to it and has the link a few above me.
View Quote

M39 block 1 is the shorter range one with subminitions. I’m pretty sure those have already been sent. They aren’t the long range unitary warhead ones that Ukraine needs to hit the bridge and other deep targets
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

More than once. But I would like to see the video anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
I've been away for a while working myself to death. I just saw a Peter Zeihan video about the russians strapping glide kits to their gravity bombs, on an industrial level. Has that been discussed here yet?

I will get it posted here later today so other people can watch it. Until then is there some kind of a consensus on the impact these glide bombs will have? It sounds pretty scary to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

New Ruski moss streath coating comrade
View Quote

In his second post on that tweet, he points out a few of the modernized A50’s closer to the flight line. All of the A50’s in the northeast corner of the airfield (the ones inside the magnified red box) are mothball/scrap. But if you look below that box you’ll see active planes closer to the runway
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I will get it posted here later today so other people can watch it. Until then is there some kind of a consensus on the impact these glide bombs will have? It sounds pretty scary to me.
View Quote

No consensus. It's a pretty big problem, and the glide bombs definitely helped them take Avdiivka. They're flying 100+ missions a day according to some reports, and the big FAB/KAB bombs are lots more destructive than artillery. The glide kits give them enough standoff to be (mostly) out of range of any air defense.

This is where Ukraine's lack of air-to-air capability is significant. It is hoped that some future arrival of F16s will address the problem, but there is still no confirmed date for delivery, nor any real expectation for what the weapons systems, electronics, and new pilots can accomplish in theater.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
I've been away for a while working myself to death. I just saw a Peter Zeihan video about the russians strapping glide kits to their gravity bombs, on an industrial level. Has that been discussed here yet?

They played a big role grinding down the fortifications in Adviivka.

Right now the RU AF is dropping around a hundred of these bombs every day.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Alleged second HIMARS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GId9QUqWIAAuTub?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GId9QY_WMAA96zo?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I’m skeptical that’s even the same location until I see the video.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
For any “doubting Ivans”-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GId0EhIXQAAWl3_?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIdzTPmWEAE6ds3?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Fake photo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Honestly, we haven't seen much evidence of Gepard being used as direct fire support.  It certainly makes more sense for the guns to use the HEI for the anti air role.  I am a bit surprised at this report.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

Germany has already provided Ukraine with ~ 40,000 rounds from this production line. Ukraine will receive a further ~ 110,000 rounds of this type of ammunition.

A further 150,000 rounds of a different type (HEI-T) will then be delivered after the production shifts from APDS-T to HEI-T which is scheduled for Q2/2024.

In total, Rheinmetall will supply Ukraine with 300,000 rounds of Gepard ammunition worth a three-digit million sum paid by the German government, therefore securing the medium term needs of ammunition for the vital Ukrainian air defence assets.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIecCE6XgAAInzz?format=jpg&name=small

APDS-T - is Ukraine using these as direct fire support now or does APDS-T work as well as HEI for anti-drone/missile work?

Honestly, we haven't seen much evidence of Gepard being used as direct fire support.  It certainly makes more sense for the guns to use the HEI for the anti air role.  I am a bit surprised at this report.

The thought of seeing a Gepard vs BMP battle makes my pants tighter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
✈️💥 Is it a bonus? "Passengers of the Il-76 can be operator-officers from the A-50 air defense system"

According to the information of the Cheka-OGPU, Il-76 passengers can be operators-officers with anti-aircraft defense systems, including A-50. "Severny" airport in Ivanovo is one of the bases for the deployment of anti-aircraft defense aircraft. We are still waiting for additional confirmation about this information. 😉

"The number of people killed in the crash of the Il-76 in the Ivanovo region has increased to 16. Emergency services are still working on the scene, sorting out the wreckage of the downed transporter. According to one of the versions, there could have been several unregistered passengers on board." - reports 112

They were not surprised by the reaction of the Russians, who "paid tribute" to the dead crew of the IL-76 with the words - "Fu, f****c how it smells." We will leave a quote below for such a reaction!😆

https://t.me/ukrainian_militant/21916

Severny Airport in the Ivanovo Region is one of the bases for the deployment of AWACS aircraft, including A 50. According to sources from the Cheka-OGPU, the passengers of the IL 76 shot down today in the Ivanovo Region could have been operators - officers of the AWACS complex.

https://t.me/vchkogpu/46533

View Quote

That takes it from accident to sabotage.  If true.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIeb_bWXUAA25FA?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes

I have not made a graph of T-62 Varisnt, mostly because with 7 types and only 100 Tanks it would not show a lot, the 7 types and total losses for each are:  

T-62 Orb 1967:                   2
T-62 Obr 1972:                   2
T-62M:                                67
T-62M Obr 2022:              4
T-62MV:                              18
T-67MV Obr 2022:            4
T-62 (unknown Varaint): 3

T-62s were made between 1961 and 1975. The Obr 2022 models have received some upgrades recently, as far as I know, a lot of ERA armour, and not much more, but correct me if you know of other things added to the upgrade?

In the Summer of 2022 Moscow announced that they would reactivate 800 of these in, I don't know how many will be in total, but between March 2023 and September 2023 198 were removed from long-term storage and 362 remained in storage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIeb_bWXUAA25FA?format=jpg&name=small

T-72s are taking it on the chin.  Another 6 months and there will have to be a T-55 category.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Capta:

T-72s are taking it on the chin.  Another 6 months and there will have to be a T-55 category.
View Quote

“Sure they’re using T55’s but only for improvised artillery”

And then there will be hours of T55’s getting their turrets popped
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]

The one company uses slightly larger frame FPV drones carrying heavier explosives.

Thermobaric explosives are great at causing building or bunker damage if it gets inside.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc540:

What size drone load brought down that building?  🤔

The one company uses slightly larger frame FPV drones carrying heavier explosives.

Thermobaric explosives are great at causing building or bunker damage if it gets inside.

Holy shit, no way a drone made that boom.  Must’ve hit stored ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Supposedly a bird strike.
http://images.dinosaurpictures.org/Pterodactyl-facts_b1c1.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
Originally Posted By K0UA:
WTF

“Previously” this might have been an IL-76

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIdolr-WAAAHa6o?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIdpGZAXMAAQ25g?format=jpg&name=medium

Oh, darn... gotta maintain those big planes guys.  :)

Supposedly a bird strike.
http://images.dinosaurpictures.org/Pterodactyl-facts_b1c1.jpg

All sorts of mischief could be had if someone figured out to glue coins in the intake.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I thought it looked like some artillery rounds in the alcove before the blast.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#17]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Evintos:

I'm seeing some other tweets about Germany claiming 60% out of their own stockpiles sent to Ukraine but I can't find any legit sources for those claims. The French General's claim of 40% if accurate might also reflect Germany's (and the rest of Europe's militaries) personal stockpile issues.

Even though France (and the rest of Europe) is ramping up production, I don't think Ukraine should expect much in terms of quantity delivered in 2024 and even 2025 versus what politicians promise/pledge. EU acknowledgement of delays in delivery last month and France, a country with one of the largest militaries in Europe, claiming personal stockpile issues (Germany likely having same issues) combined with recent efforts by the EU to source munitions from anywhere they can (versus February where Germany and France were arguing over where the money should be spent to acquire munitions) reinforces the idea that Europe is just about tapped out with production and delivery (gotta emphasize delivery). Ramped production will likely not being enough even by the end of the year. It will likely take years for production to reach proper scale (Rheinmetall factory construction for example estimated 1 year completion before initial production even starts for example).

2024 and likely 2025 is gonna be an even rougher year for Ukraine.

The statement by the French General also runs contrary to the idea that NATO only needs or is investing/spending fractions of resources to cripple the Russian military. It is becoming increasingly clear that a significant amount of resources are required to combat a large scale "second-rate" military. I also constantly see this idea that US/NATO emptying older stockpiles means there will be better and more modern weapons but I think nations should take into account how rapidly the modern weaponry can be mass produced during major conflict. Maybe keeping an inventory of "dumb" weapons (and the factories) with simplified production is a good idea.

Europe’s arms production is in ‘deep shit,’ says Belgian ex-general

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

I'm seeing some other tweets about Germany claiming 60% out of their own stockpiles sent to Ukraine but I can't find any legit sources for those claims. The French General's claim of 40% if accurate might also reflect Germany's (and the rest of Europe's militaries) personal stockpile issues.

Even though France (and the rest of Europe) is ramping up production, I don't think Ukraine should expect much in terms of quantity delivered in 2024 and even 2025 versus what politicians promise/pledge. EU acknowledgement of delays in delivery last month and France, a country with one of the largest militaries in Europe, claiming personal stockpile issues (Germany likely having same issues) combined with recent efforts by the EU to source munitions from anywhere they can (versus February where Germany and France were arguing over where the money should be spent to acquire munitions) reinforces the idea that Europe is just about tapped out with production and delivery (gotta emphasize delivery). Ramped production will likely not being enough even by the end of the year. It will likely take years for production to reach proper scale (Rheinmetall factory construction for example estimated 1 year completion before initial production even starts for example).

The statement by the French General also runs contrary to the idea that NATO only needs or is investing/spending fractions of resources to cripple the Russian military. It is becoming increasingly clear that a significant amount of resources are required to combat a large scale "second-rate" military. I also constantly see this idea that US/NATO emptying older stockpiles means there will be better and more modern weapons but I think nations should take into account how rapidly the modern weaponry can be mass produced during major conflict. Maybe keeping an inventory of "dumb" weapons (and the factories) with simplified production is a good idea.

Click To View Spoiler

I don’t think there’s any evidence to say that Europe (leave aside the US for now) won’t be able to supply a reasonable amount of artillery shells for two years.
The supply issue has been a game of stretching/rationing stocks from various sources to bridge gaps and make sure that availability continues until production catches up.  DPICM and the Czech group 155 buy are examples.  Ukraine is still firing DPICM with an unknown quantity still available, and 1,000,000 shells is good for 2700 fired per day (vs about 2000 per day now) with no other sources coming in at all.  This also says nothing about existing production in Europe, which has already increased significantly.  Nor does it account for soviet-caliber artillery from Romania/Bulgaria or surplus finds from various places.
Most estimates are that 2024 will be a lean year for 155 but 2025 will not.
And either in a couple of weeks after the Russian election, or in November, US supply will reenter the equation.  Frankly I’m not worried by the Russian influence ops that try to convince people the sky is falling when it isn’t.
Note the same thing is also happening with the LR PGM supply.  GMLRS has been rationed to fit the production rate and to get to new production GLSDB availability, Stormshadow/Scalp was rationed to get through to M39 ATACMS supply.  It is not an accident that M39 supply is starting soon.  A reasonable rationing rate of the older M39s will probably last 1.5-2 years.
Russia is being bled white and they’re too stupid to figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Okay, Germany is pretty cool for that. Gephards have been pretty great drone killers AFAIK.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Okay, Germany is pretty cool for that. Gephards have been pretty great drone killers AFAIK.

According to Wiki a Gepard with a full load of 640 rounds can burn through it in 35 seconds if they go full throttle.
Normal mode is 48 rounds per gun x 2  for 96 round burst.
Limited mode is 48 round burst.
40,000 rounds out to a bit above 415 normal burst.
They need to do better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

more info on the new aid package from the WSJ

-----------------------------------------------------

U.S. Sending $300 Million in Ammunition, Weapons to Ukraine

The latest package will include more ATACMS missiles

WASHINGTON—The Biden administration said it is sending $300 million more in ammunition and other weapons to Kyiv in a stopgap move to boost Ukraine’s forces while Congress debates a new aid package.

The Pentagon plans to transfer artillery rounds, rockets for Ukraine’s Himars launchers, antiaircraft missile and antitank weapons, using funds in the Army budget left over from weapons contracts for replacing arms sent to Kyiv, officials said.

The new assistance package also includes additional shorter-range ATACMS missiles, an administration official said. That version of the weapon has a range of about 100 miles and is armed with cluster munitions.

The U.S. has already provided a modest number of the missiles to Kyiv, and the inclusion of additional ATACMS, which stands for the Army Tactical Missile System, wasn’t publicly announced. ATACMS are surface-to-surface missiles that can be fired by the Himars, or High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, launchers.

The new military assistance is intended to temporarily ease some of Ukraine’s equipment shortfalls, which have contributed to battlefield setbacks amid Russian assaults.

“When Russian troops advance and its guns fire, Ukraine doesn’t have enough ammunition to fire back. That’s costing terrain, it’s costing lives and it’s costing us, the United States and the NATO alliance strategically,” said Jake Sullivan, President Biden’s national security adviser, at a White House news conference.

Sullivan told reporters that the aid would be rushed to Ukraine and might only sustain the country’s military for a couple of weeks.

“It’s not going to be for a long time,” he said, underscoring the importance of securing congressional approval of the stalled aid package.

Ukraine has also been pushing the Pentagon to provide long-range ATACMS missiles, which have a range of more than 180 miles and could add to Ukraine’s ability to strike Russian forces in Crimea, U.S. officials said.

Pentagon officials had previously insisted the U.S. military needed to retain all of its longer-range ATACMS to meet its own military requirements. But the Pentagon is now open to providing the longer-range ATACMS because of progress in acquiring a follow-on system dubbed the Precision Strike Missile, U.S. officials say.

That removes a major impediment to providing the long-range variant of the missile, though officials declined to say whether President Biden will send the system.

The Pentagon last provided $250 military aid to Ukraine in December, saying then it wouldn’t send more until it had additional supplemental funding from Congress. In all, the U.S. has said it has sent approximately $44.2 billion worth of military aid since Russia invaded Ukraine in Feb. 2022.

A new $95.3 billion aid package focused on Ukraine and Israel the Democratic-run Senate last month, but hasn’t moved in the House. Speaker Mike Johnson (R., La.) has said he wouldn’t bring the funding bill to the floor in its current form.

With a date for a vote on the package still uncertain, the Pentagon was able to find additional funds for Ukraine after contracts to replace U.S. military stockpiles with equipment and weapons already provided to Kyiv came in under budget, defense officials said.

The cheaper-than-expected contracts allowed the Pentagon to move replenishment funds back to those dedicated to supporting Ukraine, the officials said, stressing that it wasn’t clear such savings would be available again.

“This is a bit of an ad hoc or a one time shot. We don’t know if or when future savings will come in,” a U.S. defense official told reporters.

House Democrats have moved to force a vote on the aid bill for Ukraine and Israel, as impatience with Johnson prompted them to seize on a rarely used parliamentary tactic that could enable them to circumvent Republican leadership.

Democratic leaders told rank-and-file lawmakers that they would begin accepting signatures on a so-called discharge petition Tuesday morning. A discharge petition allows rank-and-file members to bypass House leaders and put legislation directly on the floor provided they can garner 218 signatures—or a majority of the seats in the House.

The additional funding comes as Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is expected to lead the Ukraine Contact Group meeting next week in Germany, where he will meet with allies, some of whom have sought bolster military aid to Ukraine amid stalled U.S. efforts.

In Brussels, European Union member states are poised to reach a deal on providing an additional 5 billion euro in funding to bolster military aid for Ukraine, EU diplomats said.

An EU fund, which has been in place since the early days of the war, compensates member states for a portion of the costs of the military supplies they deliver to Ukraine. So far, the fund has committed around 6 billion euro in repayments to EU countries.

Member state ambassadors will meet on Wednesday to make a final decision. However EU diplomats said a deal appears to be in place after France compromised on its insistence that money be used to compensate member states only for weapons purchased within the EU for Ukraine.

Ken Thomas and Laurence Norman contributed to this article.

Write to Nancy A. Youssef at [email protected] and Michael R. Gordon at [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------
View All Quotes
Twitter X says Biden is finally going to send ATACMS in a 300 million dollar aid package?

It’s about fucking time..it’s criminal how many Ukrainians had to die as he still had options to help and didn’t.

WASHINGTON—The Biden administration said it is sending $300 million more in ammunition and other weapons to Kyiv in a stopgap move to boost Ukraine’s forces while Congress debates a new aid package.

The Pentagon plans to transfer artillery rounds, rockets for Ukraine’s Himars launchers, antiaircraft missile and antitank weapons, using funds in the Army budget left over from weapons contracts for replacing arms sent to Kyiv, officials said.

The new assistance package also includes additional shorter-range ATACMS missiles, an administration official said. That version of the weapon has a range of about 100 miles and is armed with cluster munitions.

The U.S. has already provided a modest number of the missiles to Kyiv, and the inclusion of additional ATACMS, which stands for the Army Tactical Missile System, wasn’t publicly announced. ATACMS are surface-to-surface missiles that can be fired by the Himars, or High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, launchers.

The new military assistance is intended to temporarily ease some of Ukraine’s equipment shortfalls, which have contributed to battlefield setbacks amid Russian assaults.

“When Russian troops advance and its guns fire, Ukraine doesn’t have enough ammunition to fire back. That’s costing terrain, it’s costing lives and it’s costing us, the United States and the NATO alliance strategically,” said Jake Sullivan, President Biden’s national security adviser, at a White House news conference.

Sullivan told reporters that the aid would be rushed to Ukraine and might only sustain the country’s military for a couple of weeks.

“It’s not going to be for a long time,” he said, underscoring the importance of securing congressional approval of the stalled aid package.

Ukraine has also been pushing the Pentagon to provide long-range ATACMS missiles, which have a range of more than 180 miles and could add to Ukraine’s ability to strike Russian forces in Crimea, U.S. officials said.

Pentagon officials had previously insisted the U.S. military needed to retain all of its longer-range ATACMS to meet its own military requirements. But the Pentagon is now open to providing the longer-range ATACMS because of progress in acquiring a follow-on system dubbed the Precision Strike Missile, U.S. officials say.

That removes a major impediment to providing the long-range variant of the missile, though officials declined to say whether President Biden will send the system.

The Pentagon last provided $250 military aid to Ukraine in December, saying then it wouldn’t send more until it had additional supplemental funding from Congress. In all, the U.S. has said it has sent approximately $44.2 billion worth of military aid since Russia invaded Ukraine in Feb. 2022.

A new $95.3 billion aid package focused on Ukraine and Israel the Democratic-run Senate last month, but hasn’t moved in the House. Speaker Mike Johnson (R., La.) has said he wouldn’t bring the funding bill to the floor in its current form.

With a date for a vote on the package still uncertain, the Pentagon was able to find additional funds for Ukraine after contracts to replace U.S. military stockpiles with equipment and weapons already provided to Kyiv came in under budget, defense officials said.

The cheaper-than-expected contracts allowed the Pentagon to move replenishment funds back to those dedicated to supporting Ukraine, the officials said, stressing that it wasn’t clear such savings would be available again.

“This is a bit of an ad hoc or a one time shot. We don’t know if or when future savings will come in,” a U.S. defense official told reporters.

House Democrats have moved to force a vote on the aid bill for Ukraine and Israel, as impatience with Johnson prompted them to seize on a rarely used parliamentary tactic that could enable them to circumvent Republican leadership.

Democratic leaders told rank-and-file lawmakers that they would begin accepting signatures on a so-called discharge petition Tuesday morning. A discharge petition allows rank-and-file members to bypass House leaders and put legislation directly on the floor provided they can garner 218 signatures—or a majority of the seats in the House.

The additional funding comes as Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is expected to lead the Ukraine Contact Group meeting next week in Germany, where he will meet with allies, some of whom have sought bolster military aid to Ukraine amid stalled U.S. efforts.

In Brussels, European Union member states are poised to reach a deal on providing an additional 5 billion euro in funding to bolster military aid for Ukraine, EU diplomats said.

An EU fund, which has been in place since the early days of the war, compensates member states for a portion of the costs of the military supplies they deliver to Ukraine. So far, the fund has committed around 6 billion euro in repayments to EU countries.

Member state ambassadors will meet on Wednesday to make a final decision. However EU diplomats said a deal appears to be in place after France compromised on its insistence that money be used to compensate member states only for weapons purchased within the EU for Ukraine.

Write to Nancy A. Youssef at [email protected] and Michael R. Gordon at [email protected]

Will this aid package be only enough to insure that you Ukraine and Russia keep on grinding away at each other, or will it be enough for Ukraine to actually get something done?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

WTF, indeed.

A three-engine landing shouldn't be that hard to do if you're adequately practiced/sim'ed at it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
WTF

WTF, indeed.

A three-engine landing shouldn't be that hard to do if you're adequately practiced/sim'ed at it.

One of the more common problems with unconfined engine failures is secondary hydraulic system failure.  The fan disintegrates like a bomb, cuts hydraulic lines in the wing and/or tail, and you lose all your hydraulic fluid in seconds.
Then you have to very quickly figure out how to fly the plane with just the throttles, like the Iowa city crash landing.
If a fan failure punctures the wing tanks and starts a fire, the wing can come off in a minute or two.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIehqpgXEAAcw7I?format=jpg&name=large

But there is a nuance.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIeioGjWgAEa1qb?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

5 with no engines, 4 with at least some engines, but most without nacelles and exposed.
Yeah, should take off once just fine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ike838:

According to Wiki a Gepard with a full load of 640 rounds can burn through it in 35 seconds if they go full throttle.
Normal mode is 48 rounds per gun x 2  for 96 round burst.
Limited mode is 48 round burst.
40,000 rounds out to a bit above 415 normal burst.
They need to do better.
View Quote

Not for drones, 6 - 12 rounds per barrel and burst.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Northeast of Moscow, so likely just an accident, buy may be ultimately related to poor maintenance/stress on the system to support the war.
I sympathize with guys who get to ride a failing aircraft all the way down though.
View All Quotes
WTF

Northeast of Moscow, so likely just an accident, buy may be ultimately related to poor maintenance/stress on the system to support the war.
I sympathize with guys who get to ride a failing aircraft all the way down though.

Well, you have your flappers and then you have your screaming flappers. But the end result is the same.  splat
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#25]

I think both sides would benefit from an hour-long class showing example video and boiling down say “5 dos and don’ts to improve your survival.”  Yeah you can get more into the weeds but after watching a bunch of video there are a few common points.
View All Quotes

I think both sides would benefit from an hour-long class showing example video and boiling down say “5 dos and don’ts to improve your survival.”  Yeah you can get more into the weeds but after watching a bunch of video there are a few common points.

Has anybody tried using a shotgun to take down the FPV drones from a little further out? I'm not a shotgun guy. Full choke with squirrel short or something like that to get a bit more range might help?

A punt gun would be a tad too heavy to carry, but could be mounted on a pickup truck for Shahed hunting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Will this aid package be only enough to insure that you Ukraine and Russia keep on grinding away at each other, or will it be enough for Ukraine to actually get something done?
View All Quotes

Grindy grindy.
The only thing with some potential to really flip the field is F-16s in the best case scenario.  Even this won’t be a game-changer, but it might put an end to the glide-bombing, extract a cost in airplanes, and enable to them to glide-bomb with relatively more safety.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#27]

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Has anybody tried using a shotgun to take down the FPV drones from a little further out? I'm not a shotgun guy. Full choke with squirrel short or something like that to get a bit more range might help?

A punt gun would be a tad too heavy to carry, but could be mounted on a pickup truck for Shahed hunting.
View All Quotes

I've definitely seen videos of guys in trenches with 12 gauges trying to take down the drones. I saw one video where possibly the guy with the shotgun hit the drone but it may have been hit by something else. Anybody who's had to go with shotguns at clay pigeons knows it's not very easy. Not unless you have a lot of experience.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

Why do militaries decommission almost-used weapons instead of shooting them up in training exercises?  Giving some British soldier an almost-expired NLAW to shoot at a target in training both gets rid of it and provides training to the soldier.  But it sounds like they don't shoot the NLAWs and instead send them somewhere to be disassembled and then have the individual parts destroyed, which seems like it's more complicated and more expensive than just shooting it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

Why do militaries decommission almost-used weapons instead of shooting them up in training exercises?  Giving some British soldier an almost-expired NLAW to shoot at a target in training both gets rid of it and provides training to the soldier.  But it sounds like they don't shoot the NLAWs and instead send them somewhere to be disassembled and then have the individual parts destroyed, which seems like it's more complicated and more expensive than just shooting it.

In the late 70s under Carter of all people, my brother was a torpedoman on a sub. He said they'd take WWII torpedoes and shoot them for the reasons you stated. He said they got pretty damn fast with reloads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Just a heads up, I will be out until this evening.  Have to run the dog to a Vet hospital that is a long drive both today and tomorrow.  Need to see if she has cancer, or if they can operate.  I certainly would appreciate any extra prayers for the dog, she's the best.
View Quote

I hope your pup is OK. A friend at work is dealing with that right now with his 1 year old GSD.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Yeah, that's because everyone wants to spend money on butter and none on guns.  After the fall of the USSR, everyone wanted to talk about the "peace dividend". There wasn't going to be any war with the USSR/Russia again. They were good boys now. They just want to sell us their natural recourses and rake in the money. No one listened to Putin just like no one listened to Adolph Hitler. The funny thing is about these despots is they ALWAYS tell you exactly what they are going to do to you. But no-one ever believes them. Well Russia raked in the money and rebuilt it's military. At least to a point. But no one felt threatened. "Can I have some more gas please? can we build another pipeline?" No one listened to George Patton when he said that Russia does not have a European mindset and we should stomp their guts out when we had the chance. Nope.

Now we are so surprised when Europe's stockpiles are empty, their military industrial base is very weak, and it is going to take time.  Well the War is going on right now. Ukraine is just the first step. And yet we dither, debate, and wring our hands. Those whom do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]

APDS-T was a stop gap measure because it was easier and faster to produce.

Both can be used against drones, the Gepard FCS recognizes which ammo is loaded in which magazine.

Normally APDS-T is only loaded in the small 20 round magazine for self defense, the bigger 320 round magazine is loaded with HEI-T ammo against air targets.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

Germany has already provided Ukraine with ~ 40,000 rounds from this production line. Ukraine will receive a further ~ 110,000 rounds of this type of ammunition.

A further 150,000 rounds of a different type (HEI-T) will then be delivered after the production shifts from APDS-T to HEI-T which is scheduled for Q2/2024.

In total, Rheinmetall will supply Ukraine with 300,000 rounds of Gepard ammunition worth a three-digit million sum paid by the German government, therefore securing the medium term needs of ammunition for the vital Ukrainian air defence assets.

APDS-T - is Ukraine using these as direct fire support now or does APDS-T work as well as HEI for anti-drone/missile work?

APDS-T was a stop gap measure because it was easier and faster to produce.

Both can be used against drones, the Gepard FCS recognizes which ammo is loaded in which magazine.

Normally APDS-T is only loaded in the small 20 round magazine for self defense, the bigger 320 round magazine is loaded with HEI-T ammo against air targets.

Thanks for that, I forgot it was because they could make the AP faster at the time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Russian Bombs Get an Upgrade (FAB-1500 to Glide Bomb) || Peter Zeihan

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Well there is that lol, if the ammo is hit it is pretty big then.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#35]

I don’t think there’s any evidence to say that Europe (leave aside the US for now) won’t be able to supply a reasonable amount of artillery shells for two years.
The supply issue has been a game of stretching/rationing stocks from various sources to bridge gaps and make sure that availability continues until production catches up.  DPICM and the Czech group 155 buy are examples.  Ukraine is still firing DPICM with an unknown quantity still available, and 1,000,000 shells is good for 2700 fired per day (vs about 2000 per day now) with no other sources coming in at all.  This also says nothing about existing production in Europe, which has already increased significantly.  Nor does it account for soviet-caliber artillery from Romania/Bulgaria or surplus finds from various places.
And either in a couple of weeks after the Russian election, or in November, US supply will reenter the equation.  Frankly I’m not worried by the Russian influence ops that try to convince people the sky is falling when it isn’t.
Note the same thing is also happening with the LR PGM supply.  GMLRS has been rationed to fit the production rate and to get to new production GLSDB availability, Stormshadow/Scalp was rationed to get through to M39 ATACMS supply.  It is not an accident that M39 supply is starting soon.  A reasonable rationing rate of the older M39s will probably last 1.5-2 years.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Attachment Attached File

Capta always can word things better than I can.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#36]
Thanks for keeping me up to date on the conflict today everyone, I appreciate it.

Regarding our pup, the doc said she thought it was fatty tissue, but it showed up on x-ray.  Good news is the tumor isn't connected to bone, and might be isolated but it is impacting her leg.  They will operate tomorrow morning and I will give an update then, but the surgeon is very good and when he checked her this evening he felt confident he could remove the tumor completely,  regardless if it was cancer or just fatty tissue.  I will pray for that outcome then for tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone wants long range cruise missiles for their F-35s

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#39]
This is why they are more accurate.  Need to jam the GNSS signals to lower their CEP.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Glide bombs have been in use since the fall and were being used against the Dnipro bridgeheads. Russkis have sanction busted more UMPC guidance units to make them more precise and it has been a big factor if not the biggest factor in Russia retaking Avdiivka.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

10ga with a drum and shoulder sling
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for keeping me up to date on the conflict today everyone, I appreciate it.

Regarding our pup, the doc said she thought it was fatty tissue, but it showed up on x-ray.  Good news is the tumor isn't connected to bone, and might be isolated but it is impacting her leg.  They will operate tomorrow morning and I will give an update then, but the surgeon is very good and when he checked her this evening he felt confident he could remove the tumor completely,  regardless if it was cancer or just fatty tissue.  I will pray for that outcome then for tomorrow.

View Quote

That's a better news report than another orc A-50 down.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Russians worried tonight.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#45]

And here the armored tractors have arrived... Orc TDT-55 skidding tractor with 57-mm AZP-57 (S-60)
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Now.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#47]
https://i.imgur.com/WtoAoyZ.jpeg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#48]

Donation package XVI is financed by the Ukraine Foundation. The donation package results in a draw on the fund of approx. 2.3 billion DKK in 2024-2026, of which approx. 1.3 million DKK in 2024, approx. 0.2 billion DKK in 2025 and approx. 0.7 billion DKK in 2026.

Fact (Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica)

With Donation Package XVI and the donation of the F-16, a decision has been made on military support for a total of approx. 39.2 billion DKK in 2022-2028. This includes both support financed via the National Compromise and support financed by the Ukraine Fund.

https://www.fmn.dk/da/nyheder/2024/markante-artilleridonationer-til-ukraine-i-ny-donationspakke/

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Something has changed with Russias ability to find/respond to higher-level threats.
View All Quotes
Alleged second HIMARS

Something has changed with Russias ability to find/respond to higher-level threats.

Absolutely. They seem to be identifying targets and launching quickly. If it was possible earlier they would have knocked out the few HIMARS we sent two years ago. Is Ukraine running out of missiles or is the Isklander hard to intercept?

Certainly doesn't bode well if Russia is able to knock out the few Patriots and HIMARS Ukraine has.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

Absolutely. They seem to be identifying targets and launching quickly. If it was possible earlier they would have knocked out the few HIMARS we sent two years ago. Is Ukraine running out of missiles or is the Isklander hard to intercept?

Certainly doesn't bode well if Russia is able to knock out the few Patriots and HIMARS Ukraine has.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:
Alleged second HIMARS

Russia has been employing vastly more drones than they were a year ago. Seeing how effective they are for Ukraine ISR, it only make sense that Russia would do the same. Zaluzhny said they need better EW to maintain an edge. I think this is one factor. I don't know how much the recent command change might play into it. Along with sacking Zaluzhny, much of the other high command was also changed. Is there less infosec than there was before? Maybe. Usually, it's a combination of bad things.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5484 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top