BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's that Corvette meme about being slower than a Nissan Altima?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243302/00804F91-D9F6-418F-A50C-D4C48057DDBD_jpe-2448573.JPG

Get both.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Every hotrod head from the 70s ever:
“My (insert whichever brand) would do ten second quarters and twist the speedo to zero.”
View Quote

Yeah, they all lie. And everyone was always working on their cars, and they never got any faster. Most of them didn't even run right. Everyone would recite a list of the same things they were going to "drop in" to the car. Nobody did.

It was part of the fun of the thing. Driving the car was only a part of it.

Not really my thing, but a lot of people enjoyed it. Still do. I know a car club full of 60 ish people. Dozens of them. Some of the cars are really cool, some meh. All still telling the same performance lies and talking about the upgrades they're never going to make. It's their hobby. Could be worse.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, let’s turn this into an EV thread:  they’re so much faster than any ICE car we ever drove!!!

And in before beatsofffiraffes!

Truth be told, I do want a Tesla…but I want an E-Ray even more.
View Quote

If I had unlimited money and garage space, I'd have a few EVs, but I'd also have at least a dozen old cars. And not even the cliche classic ones, although I'd have those too. Just cool, unusual old cars. Like a Nash Metropolitan. And definitely an El Camino. And a non-DEF diesel F250 that did wheelies.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's not about speed. If driving a classic car doesn't do anything for you I hear they're looking for people to read books to kids at the library.
View Quote

It's almost kind of retro dorky at this point. Still cool though. I can do retro dorky. I'm old. Up to recently I had a pair of white New Balance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Make a bunch of passes in the 7's and everything will be meh after.
View Quote

Then you put your alcohol dragster back on the trailer and tow it home, and go out to dinner in your big block Chevelle that runs 14s.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
69 Camaro ZL1...
425hp and 460ft/lb is low horsepower

They offered so many more engine options back then, yes some where bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old OEM cars are slow as fuck. Super heavy, big ass low horsepower v8. Shitty suspension. But when you lighten them up, tube frame, all aluminum badass engines, turbos, fuel injection, they are beasts
69 Camaro ZL1...

In a 4500+ lb car, yes, 425hp sucks. Now if the car weighed 2200lbs, that's a different story
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In a 4500+ lb car, yes, 425hp sucks. Now if the car weighed 2200lbs, that's a different story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old OEM cars are slow as fuck. Super heavy, big ass low horsepower v8. Shitty suspension. But when you lighten them up, tube frame, all aluminum badass engines, turbos, fuel injection, they are beasts
69 Camaro ZL1...

That would be a really heavy '69 camaro wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, car technology has changed in 50yr.  The average car now is as fast as the really fast cars from half a century ago.

I've got more than a few old cars and trucks.  You can't drive anywhere without people honking at you, waving, taking pictures, asking to buy it, or just talking about them.
My buddy who drives a prius always says "damn.  nobody ever tells me nice prius" when we're out and about.

Its not all about going as fast as the car will possibly go.  The quarter mile time doesn't matter to me in my old cars or the new ones.  I'm not pulling up to every red light, redlining it, and launching.  I've got a buddy who does race his 72 nova at the strip.  Just LS swap it.  He's running low 12s/high 11s.  Everything inside the car, the brakes, and the suspension are all still 50yr old stuff.  Under the hood is the LS with a bigass holley intake.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Humblebrag... the wife's minivan would smoke most muscle cars.

I actually paid it off today

View Quote

Congrats.... Ironically, just got the title for my wife's oddsey yesterday....
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A car that’s optimized for a 0-60 or 0-62 time isn’t going to be the best 1/8mi, 1/4mi, bonneville car either. Your buying a car that was setup they way it is to have impressive stats on a magazine page at the expense of actual real world use, whatever that may be, drag racing, road course, backroads, etc.

Sure the fun part is subjective but I’ve never heard anyone praise a car for it’s tall gearing.
View Quote

Civics are not set up for turning numbers either.

Pretty much all the arguments about “it’s not set up for that from the factory…with a few changes it will do….” Apply to modern cars as well.

You either turn the number or you don’t.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then you put your alcohol dragster back on the trailer and tow it home, and go out to dinner in your big block Chevelle that runs 14s.
View Quote

There are street legal cars with A/C and warranties that will run 7s.  

You are getting into high dollar tuner Vipers and Lamborghinis and a smattering of other choices to do it. But where the high end tech of today is, starts becoming more normal tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We know and don't care. I own them for nostalgic purposes not speed.
View Quote

The "" is that they were thought to be fast.  But then again, with the technology of the time, being not too far from the early conception of automobiles, 100 mph was fast.  Can you imagine floating around doing 120 mph in some 3-ton Mopar with leaf suspension and 9-inch drums?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
They were fast for their time. A rather intentionally abrasive article intending to anger older people who have memories of these vehicles in their lives- If I did make a guess I'd say the author was rather envious of them as this is usually the origins of such covert abrasiveness. We can say our cars and our generations had soul and identity, something lacking from just about every aspect of todays world and the newer generations know it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They were fast for their time. A rather intentionally abrasive article intending to anger older people who have memories of these vehicles in their lives- If I did make a guess I'd say the author was rather envious of them as this is usually the origins of such covert abrasiveness. We can say our cars and our generations had soul and identity, something lacking from just about every aspect of todays world and the newer generations know it.
View Quote

Which is precisely why the little marketing hipster shits at Ford decided to try to grow a brand out of the name "Mustang" when they brought a bland as fuck crossover.

EV was not enough and crossover certainly was not enough.

They pulled a "the force is female" type of fucking move to try to jump up and down and manufacture a reason to celebrate deliberately shitting all over something people have sentimental value towards.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The first car I ever rode in where someone was driving 150 mph was a 70 challenger rt with a 440 4 speed 323 gears aluminum heads built. Was awesome.

The first car I drove 150 mph was a highly built 71 challenger rt 383 auto 323 gears. Broke the speedometer, rally dash only went to 150.

It took both lanes of interstate and a long straight stretch.  Much more asshole pucker effect than driving say a new challenger srt that fast. It definitely felt like 180 in a newer car but that doesn't even begin to describe the difference. So much more of a raw power feeling with the older cars. Both of those cars were fast.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
69 Camaro ZL1...

Yeah... curb weight of a 69 camaro was ~3200 lbs.

ETA: Fitting that post 427 is in a muscle car thread
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
That's why there were dragstrips, and timing slips. They were as fast as the clocks said they were. There's also many timed land speed events.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's my 65 2+2 with a dual quad 331, roller cam, 4 speed Toploader, 3.55 TractionLock, and manual steering and brakes.  I have to drive this car with no electronics to help me out.  If I don't want to get killed while driving it, I have to pay attention to everything around me.  It's a skill that I have taught my youngest daughter, too.  She loves driving this car.  We get lots of thumbs up and smiles and waves with this car...not so much in the Honda Civic or F150.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:31:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's my 65 2+2 with a dual quad 331, roller cam, 4 speed Toploader, 3.55 TractionLock, and manual steering and brakes.  I have to drive this car with no electronics to help me out.  If I don't want to get killed while driving it, I have to pay attention to everything around me.  It's a skill that I have taught my youngest daughter, too.  She loves driving this car.  We get lots of thumbs up and smiles and waves with this car...not so much in the Honda Civic or F150.

https://i.imgur.com/pvOddZD.jpg
View Quote

Nice sled!
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know, I had an '87 LX 5.0 that was pretty damn fast and powerful. It had an upgraded rear end and exhaust.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a teenage car nut growing up in the 70’s I never thought I’d have a factory supercharged Hemi Challenger putting out damn near 800 hp, but here we are.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah... curb weight of a 69 camaro was ~3200 lbs.

ETA: Fitting that post 427 is in a muscle car thread
View Quote

Which is why I love Nova's.
3" longer WB and about 400# lighter in stock trim
With a little work it is real easy to get a Nova into 2700ish range
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How many people got laid because they had a minivan?
View Quote

I have...   `Course, she was already my old lady and it wasn't that she was attracted to the minivan, just that it was a convenient place to get laid at the time....  

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nobody even said electric car. Paging Dr. Freud.

It's like blurted out "I'm not gay" in a room full of people who weren't even talking to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care and will not buy an electric car. I am old enough to never own one.

Nobody even said electric car. Paging Dr. Freud.

It's like blurted out "I'm not gay" in a room full of people who weren't even talking to you.

The OP's entire post was pretty much an EV jerk-off session....
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You are getting into high dollar tuner Vipers and Lamborghinis and a smattering of other choices to do it. But where the high end tech of today is, starts becoming more normal tomorrow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A/C yeah, but the instant you "tune" or in any way modify the engine or drive train the warranty is gone. Vipers and Lambos especially.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was a teenage car nut growing up in the 70’s I never thought I’d have a factory supercharged Hemi Challenger putting out damn near 800 hp, but here we are.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/9E0ADD37-136C-4BC8-882E-24CC46B26FE9-2451085.jpg
View Quote

Same here.  In muscle car terms, these are the good old days....

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#27]
In this thread, people discuss the fact that vehicle performance has universally improved with 50+ years of techological advances. Again.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
69 Camaro ZL1...

bullshit..Curb weight was just under 33 hundred pounds.....now go look at the curb weight of a new Camaro or Challenger.

eta..a 2022 ZL1 weighs in at nearly 4k
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Never had a fast car until 4 years ago. I got a C6 Vette and soon realized driving fast wasn't a good idea. 160 mph wasn't smart, even on coutry roads. I was compelled to drive it fast and couldn't stop it. Bye bye to fast cars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Never had a fast car until 4 years ago. I got a C6 Vette and soon realized driving fast wasn't a good idea. 160 mph wasn't smart, even on coutry roads. I was compelled to drive it fast and couldn't stop it. Bye bye to fast cars.
View Quote

It took me one test drive of a 911 Turbo to realize it wasn’t the car for me. I just don’t see the fun in driving around at 4/10ths all the time, by the time you are going fast enough to have fun you are deep in “go to jail” territory.  Unless I get to the point where I can have a dedicated track car I’m in the same boat.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It took me one test drive of a 911 Turbo to realize it wasn’t the car for me. I just don’t see the fun in driving around at 4/10ths all the time, by the time you are going fast enough to have fun you are deep in “go to jail” territory.  Unless I get to the point where I can have a dedicated track car I’m in the same boat.

View Quote

This is why there's they saying, its funner to get a slow car and drive it fast than a fast car and have to drive it slow.  A 17 second 4 banger honda or toyota with a manual transmission is like a go kart.  You can keep those little 170HP motors wound out and have fun on the roads.  When you're on the roads where most of your driving happens anyways, all that matters is the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is why there's they saying, its funner to get a slow car and drive it fast than a fast car and have to drive it slow.  A 17 second 4 banger honda or toyota with a manual transmission is like a go kart.  You can keep those little 170HP motors wound out and have fun on the roads.  When you're on the roads where most of your driving happens anyways, all that matters is the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter.
View Quote

Uh huh, whatever.

The slow car has no seat of the pants by comparison.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A/C yeah, but the instant you "tune" or in any way modify the engine or drive train the warranty is gone. Vipers and Lambos especially.
View Quote

The most reputable tuners offer the warranty.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uh huh, whatever.

View Quote

You're missing something completely then.  If you get a fast car, you can't barely get it opened up in your every day driving or else you're hitting other cars or hopping curbs and taking out pedestrians and street lights.  

So maybe your "fast" car really isn't that fast, or else you do your every day driving on a race track.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Why does OP think I don't know how fast all my cars were?  It's just that I simply did not care 99.9% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a new 1990 Eagle Talon AWD TSI after I saw a TV show where the record holder at Road America took a stock one, put on racing tires and beat his record in a full-bore race car from ~1978.  My current VW Golf -R would eat most classic cars in the 1/4-mile, 1 mile oval and stomp the shit out of one on a road course.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're missing something completely then.  If you get a fast car, you can't barely get it opened up in your every day driving or else you're hitting other cars or hopping curbs and taking out pedestrians and street lights.  

So maybe your "fast" car really isn't that fast, or else you do your every day driving on a race track.
View Quote

I think different people just have different definitions of the whole "seat of the pants" meter thing.

The best example I have of this is the previous generation BRZ and WRX. All things considered the WRX wasn't all that much faster than the BRZ despite having an additional 60hp on paper. I think you'd have to really stretch the argument that you could wind out a BRZ on roads you couldn't wind out a WRX. Some people really loved the NA feeling of the BRZ and the feeling that you really had to rev it out to get any power at all (And to be fair, having a huge flat spot of torque in the middle of the rev range didn't help) while others preferred the low down near-instant torque the turbo on the WRX gave. Both were subjectively fun cars, but I don't think one could be considered universally more fun than the other.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Since you appear to be disingenuosly cherry picking the slowest version of your comparison vehicle, I selected a different version for you. Same body style, same generation, even older and more obsolete!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#40]

lol..did you bother to try to understand how they tweaked that to get those numbers?

hint: a 400 can spin faster than 3600 rpm.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Speed isn't the be all, end all, measurement of a vehicles desirability.
There isn't just one metric you judge all cars on.
Old cars have character, charm, design, style, behavior, engineering, nostalgia, history, pedigree, and smell that makes them fun to drive and appreciate beyond just how "fast" they go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hyper car fast?   No.   But even my slowest car yields better acceleration than the newest of the classic slow car Miatas.    Handling may not be neutral but all three of my Mustangs corner well enough to turn my stomach under braking and cornering.

If the lateral accelerarion gauge in the 2015 GTPP is to be trusted then over 1g in the corners has been recorded on multiple back road drives.   And my 66 corners as well or better than the 2015.

I really am a fan of the old days of road racing where you saw big fucking Galaxie 500s running around european tracks with things like Mini's.   The tracks were designed such that it made for similar lap times despite the radically different car designs.

If you want to sit around making weedeater noises going through all the turns at roughly the same speed as in the straights.

Fine.   That is on you but it does not match with my definition of "better."

I will take the psychotic basket case of a car that is less stable through the corners but absolutely uncorks and reminds you how quickly it can and will kill you.   Harder acceleration along with harder braking to get through the turns.

Drive a fast car slow?   Hardy.  

Car routinely gets taken up through the local hills to experience various Gs under acceleration, braking, cornering.

If I drive 20 minutes to the east there is a very low traffic road that can give me 20-30 minutes of driving nirvana.   If I drive 40 minutes to the west I can get a similar experience with around 30-40 minutes of clarity.  

Once bodywork and cage/belts are in it will be out at Buttonwillow and WillowSprings.   Goal is to hit as close to 2 minutes for the 13CW configuration at Buttonwillow while chasing imports around.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#43]
A lot of the older cars like the hemi Challenger and the L88 Corvettes were powerful. Running through open headers, they could make well over the 425hp engine ratings (525hp?). Problem is, they were not very driveable for everyday use compared to the high tech performance cars of today. They had to be warmed up before leaving the driveway and those engines made little torque at low RPM. Air conditioning was out of the question, turning it on would choke the engine down. With 4.11 gears and a 4 speed transmission,  cruising down the interstate at 70mph was loud and uncomfortable. Had a co-worker that restored a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang with a 4:30 gear. It was yellow with the rear window louvers and redone black interior. Nice car but vacation trips were taken in his wife's car. Too hot and too loud. Amazing stuff these new 650hp+ cars with AC and good handling.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Jessie Owens wasn’t as fast as we thought he was.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Once bodywork and cage/belts are in it will be out at Buttonwillow and WillowSprings.   Goal is to hit as close to 2 minutes for the 13CW configuration at Buttonwillow while chasing imports around.
View Quote

Why wait Uglygun?  You can track it as is at SCCA high performance driving events/track days.  An approved helmet is all that is required.  Though I recommend high temp. brakes and speed rated tires.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Since you appear to be disingenuosly cherry picking the slowest version of your comparison vehicle, I selected a different version for you. Same body style, same generation, even older and more obsolete!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/Screenshot_20220714-131105_DuckDuckGo_jp-2452642.JPG
View Quote

That's Bandit's car from Smokey and the Bandit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Uh huh, whatever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh huh, whatever.

Yeah it does.  Some little underpowered shitbox going around a corner at 10/10thsis WAY more fun that some big bloated car with electronic steering and 500hp.  In the latter its, try to slow down all that mass, trundle around the corner, mash the throttle and let the torque pull you out. For me that gets boring fast.  I'd rather have the small light car with great steering that you can bang off the rev limiter and hoon around like a total piece of shit but your are only going 50mph so nobody is in danger.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why wait Uglygun?  You can track it as is at SCCA high performance driving events/track days.  An approved helmet is all that is required.  Though I recommend high temp. brakes and speed rated tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because car generates enough grip to throw you out of the shit original seats and single lap belt.  

When car comes back from body work I will be buying a 2nd set of wheels to make use of 275/40-17 tires instead of the 225/45-17 max summer tires it wears now.  It will also have proper seats and a harness bar to keep you from having to fight to stay in the car.

13in 4 piston two piece discs, full floating 9in rear.  Looking to add trans and diff coolers in the future along with a tilton pedal box so I can finally heel and toe easily.

As for "going now" I could take my 2015 GT PP save for one thing.

It is 105 degrees out so as it stands the plans revolve around working, ordering parts, getting the car to bodywork during winter to hopefully be ready next spring.

I am legitimately concerned that more traction and under track conditions I have the ability to hurt the chassis of the car.   As it stands now with subframe connectors and some limitation with the tires I am okay.   But bodywork brings minitubs, likely adding convertible rockers and torque boxes, some other chassis bracing, and triangulation with roll bar and door bars to add in chassis stiffness.

The 2015 GTPP may go out this fall to start learning the track and getting instruction.

SoCalDriversClub is the low car count track day group I am looking to run with.   No limited track time heats, open grouping.

ButtonWillow is 20min from home.  WillowSprings is about 1.5 hours.

Quoted:

Yeah it does.  Some little underpowered shitbox going around a corner at 10/10thsis WAY more fun that some big bloated car with electronic steering and 500hp.  In the latter its, try to slow down all that mass, trundle around the corner, mash the throttle and let the torque pull you out. For me that gets boring fast.  I'd rather have the small light car with great steering that you can bang off the rev limiter and hoon around like a total piece of shit but your are only going 50mph so nobody is in danger.

2800 pounds and 380whp...

Look higher up where I recognize the days of real race on sunday sell on monday 60s era racing.

I would be the fucking psycopath in the Ford Galaxie breathing down the necks of mini's.

TransAm racing is what I love with actual modified road cars on the track.

My 66 wears adapted Terlingua racing badges that I made because the car I am driving is likely as good or better than a GT350.

Only thing modern/sophisticated about my 66 is that I added a rack&pinion power steering and EFI.   I suppose the suspension is more modern but none of it is something that Shelby could not have done in the 60s had he wanted to ditch leaf springs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

True. But i know which one I’d rather drive.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bandits car was a 77, and again that horsepower measurement was not comparable, as they only spun the 400 to just 36 hundred...but spun the Honda to 6k.....spin the 400 to that 6k..{yes it will] and watch what happens to the numbers...oh and tweak the timing, and add a bit more gas.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top