Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Classified information should be secured in SCIFs.

Presidents get to do special things as the OG OCA.

It’s all just political theatre with those 2 anyway.
View Quote

Some material of certain classification is stored in scifs, but there’s no way everything could be stored in scifs.

That don’t make no sense.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The fact that classified material, specifically SECRET and above is so controlled is what makes the things Klinton (and maybe Trump and now Biden) did with classified material so unfathomable to anyone who knows how “the system” is supposed to work.

Yes, classified is stored in a “library”; as others have said, called a SCIF.

Every SCIF I have been in had:

1.  You had to be cleared/authorized to enter.
2.  Custodian monitoring who went in/out.
3.  Couldn’t take any other material (writing, recording, cell phone, etc.) with you; those were stored in a container outside.
4.  No such materials (writing, recording, etc.) in the SCIF, either.
5.  One had to be under Courier Orders (i.e. specific authorization to take classified out of the SCIF).
6.  Designated “containers”/carriers for transporting classified.
7.  Material removed had to be specifically logged in/out by type, format, etc.

So when one hears about Klinton sending or having someone send classified to the fax machine (or printer, whatever) in her home, or her not understanding that the little letters in parens on every line in a document is that line’s classification or them removing the classification banners from classified material and sending it around…it’s unfathomable.@Moof1
View Quote

“ Yes, classified is stored in a “library”; as others have said, called a SCIF.”

Some not all.

Tons of secret and confidential material is stored in approved containers in approved spaces outside of scifs.

For example:

the secret crypto fills for comm gear were stored in an approved safe in our comm platoon shop.  

The EKMS manager stores crypto in their vault.

SIPR net computers in authorized areas.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Serious question.   Is this information stored in paper form only?    Meaning removing it from the scif or wherever and its lost to history never to be seen again?   Or is it all digitized / imaged?    

Normally Id say of course it’s digitzed !   But this is .gov were talking about,
View Quote

It’s all of it.

Paper, digital files on computers, external hard drives, CDs, DVDs, comm hardware itself, crypto paper tapes, digital fills in hardware devices for loading comm gear…….
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't forget to use the proper stapler...

https://i.imgur.com/laNoBl7.png
View Quote

Lol, I think  will do that to my stapler.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was my unit's CMS custodian (alternate), and courier.

There certainly was no "checking out SECRET materials" for home use.

The only particularly memorable moments doing that was when I burnt all the keying material on a cold hilltop in Korea when that EP3 was forced down in China, and traveling across Asia in '02 (by plane, when everyone else had to take a boat)to deliver materials to places in the Philippines and Thailand,  via Malaysia.   5 star hotels, satcom (when such was still pretty James Bond).  Fun times.
View Quote

I thought I was going todie taking crypto fills over to the little deck on a CH-46 in a fucking horrendous storm for that p3 emergency destruction.

We tried to send them over the air but no joy.  

We did 3 attempts to land and did go arounds.  The 4th time I looked at the crew chief and he was shaking his head. We landed so hard I thought they broke the helo.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Don’t get me going on Department of State’s classified material handling.  

Holy fack it was a nightmare.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and that brings up the issue of "over-classification." things getting stamped secret or classified just because someone wants to limit access to the info, not because it's actually sensitive
View Quote

It is done, but it is illegal to do so.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bro, where's your SECRET//NOFORN stapler!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!
View Quote
And how about the FOUO/SBU/Draft Deliberative Document/Exempt From FOIA Release stapler?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The fact that classified material, specifically SECRET and above is so controlled is what makes the things Klinton (and maybe Trump and now Biden) did with classified material so unfathomable to anyone who knows how “the system” is supposed to work.

3.  Couldn’t take any other material (writing, recording, cell phone, etc.) with you; those were stored in a container outside.
5.  One had to be under Courier Orders (i.e. specific authorization to take classified out of the SCIF).

So when one hears about Klinton sending or having someone send classified to the fax machine (or printer, whatever) in her home, or her not understanding that the little letters in parens on every line in a document is that line’s classification or them removing the classification banners from classified material and sending it around…it’s unfathomable.@Moof1
View Quote

It is quite fathomable.

There are betters.  And elites.  And then there is us.

Had you done what Clinton, Biden, Berger did, you would go to jail.  That is because you are not one of the elite.

There is a caste system in America now.  Two tiers of justice.  Those who work from home, and those who move the country.  Those with credentials, those without.

It affects every facet of our lives now.  The sooner we acknowledge that there are two different qualities of people with two different standards of opportunity and justice, the sooner we can make sense of it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not all classified info must be stored in a SCIF. Confidential and secret may be stored in an appropriate storage container (safe) outside of a SCIF.
View Quote
Hell, Confidential can be stored in a cheesy Office Depot filing cabinet or desk drawer as long as it has a "lock."  Most people still put it n a GSA approved safe though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not really. Trumps documents were declassified by himself, which he had the power to do.

Biden did not have the power to declassify the documents he potentially mishandled. We're they declassified either through process or did Obama declassify them?

If they were not declassified he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
View Quote
Well now, that's the question, isn't it?  I suspect the answer is NO to either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and that brings up the issue of "over-classification." things getting stamped secret or classified just because someone wants to limit access to the info, not because it's actually sensitive
View Quote
If you ever go to London, visit the Churchill War Rooms for some prime examples of over classification.  Little chatty notes saying wtte of "Nice talking to you this afternoon. My best to your wife." from FDR marked Top Secret.  Politicians are... different.  As in fucked in the head.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, our whole campus houses two SCIFs, both office buildings are SCIFs and even though both facilities are open storage SCIFs, document markings and covers are strictly enforced. There are classification guides, and yes, my badge will get me access to any TS/SCI federal facility in the IC, but even with access, you need to be on the visiting roster or in their local system, and read-on if you do visit a particular program. All the material above CUI will have a declassification date and authority. IMHO, too much shit is classified that isn't necessary, and the shit that's truly necessary becomes a political/bureaucrat magnet. Secret is important, but can be stored in properly rated GSA safes; it's pretty common in just about any military or IC type organization that doesn't use a lot of TS/SCI material. Most organizations just have a smaller SCIF for the TS/SCI stuff or access to the platforms and video conferences.

The compartmentalized nature is pretty strict and even inside a SCIF you could have various Specials Access Programs (SAP) or various projects that you are unauthorized to access without that "need to know" and being "read on" to whatever it is (and read-off if departing or leaving that program).

For the less hieratical, mishandling the material can be a career ender pretty quick, potentially criminal.

Clinton and Biden are both in violation with their handling of classified material. Trump (or any POTUS) is the ultimate declassification authority, whether you like it or not; and even with him saying "I declassify this shit", his staff still needs to follow up on the administrative declassification process.

I shit with classified material all time, but flushing classified shit paper isn't authorized

Ironically, the NsA has their little wireless no-no teams catch about 15-20 people a day with an unauthorized wireless device; phones, iWatch, fitbit, etc. (there's a big fucking list). First time it's a slap, it gets worse after that. I just leave my phone in the truck to avoid all the bullshit. I've seen a few GS interns fuck up royally with phones going off during a high-side brief

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those must have been little itty bitty SCIFs to not have any pens or paper inside.

Entire buildings are SCIFs with open storage of classified material, they have pens, paper, printers, etc.

Kharn

Yep, our whole campus houses two SCIFs, both office buildings are SCIFs and even though both facilities are open storage SCIFs, document markings and covers are strictly enforced. There are classification guides, and yes, my badge will get me access to any TS/SCI federal facility in the IC, but even with access, you need to be on the visiting roster or in their local system, and read-on if you do visit a particular program. All the material above CUI will have a declassification date and authority. IMHO, too much shit is classified that isn't necessary, and the shit that's truly necessary becomes a political/bureaucrat magnet. Secret is important, but can be stored in properly rated GSA safes; it's pretty common in just about any military or IC type organization that doesn't use a lot of TS/SCI material. Most organizations just have a smaller SCIF for the TS/SCI stuff or access to the platforms and video conferences.

The compartmentalized nature is pretty strict and even inside a SCIF you could have various Specials Access Programs (SAP) or various projects that you are unauthorized to access without that "need to know" and being "read on" to whatever it is (and read-off if departing or leaving that program).

For the less hieratical, mishandling the material can be a career ender pretty quick, potentially criminal.

Clinton and Biden are both in violation with their handling of classified material. Trump (or any POTUS) is the ultimate declassification authority, whether you like it or not; and even with him saying "I declassify this shit", his staff still needs to follow up on the administrative declassification process.

Quoted:
A bathroom is neither a SCIF or an appropriate container.   But if you’re a Clinton you can do it.  It says so in the Constitution.

I shit with classified material all time, but flushing classified shit paper isn't authorized

Ironically, the NsA has their little wireless no-no teams catch about 15-20 people a day with an unauthorized wireless device; phones, iWatch, fitbit, etc. (there's a big fucking list). First time it's a slap, it gets worse after that. I just leave my phone in the truck to avoid all the bullshit. I've seen a few GS interns fuck up royally with phones going off during a high-side brief

ROCK6

My favorite was the email to everyone scolding that a new Tesla is not an exception to the phone rule and figure out a different way to lock your car.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Extremely careless.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
VPOTUS is viewed as a coequal to POTUS in this regard, and as is noted on the ruling on presidential records act is called out as not be  covered by legislatively created laws in regard to handling and storage of  classified materials.  

So not quite as settled and on point when compared to the POTUS but probably overall a nothing burger.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

My command had a NIPRNET node put in my our chief of physical security.

It had a dedicated small windowless office, the computer equipment and the digital lock safe. You were in there alone with a printer and the classified material.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My command had a NIPRNET node put in my our chief of physical security.

It had a dedicated small windowless office, the computer equipment and the digital lock safe. You were in there alone with a printer and the classified material.
View Quote

Classified on NIPR sounds like a problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't forget to use the proper stapler...

https://i.imgur.com/laNoBl7.png
View Quote

At my final command we had one classified computer with one classified and labeled hard drive. None of the other 10,000 or so hard drives were labeled.

We probably spent $25,000 worth of labor effort to shut down each system in the building to put stickers on everything.

Getting the big 1" x 2.5" label on the tiny removable memory cards in our cameras was fun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hell, Confidential can be stored in a cheesy Office Depot filing cabinet or desk drawer as long as it has a "lock."  Most people still put it n a GSA approved safe though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all classified info must be stored in a SCIF. Confidential and secret may be stored in an appropriate storage container (safe) outside of a SCIF.

False.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The big difference is Joe Biden broke the law as he was the Vice President of the United States when he took those documents 6 years ago; he was not the President then.

President Trump did not break the law.  

Remember the Democrats always falsely accuse you of breaking the law that they the Democrats have already broken.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Classified data should have a short shelf life.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
These days, the good reasons to have paper classified documents are pretty slim. The information lives on computers, in databases, etc. To me, printing classified hints at intentional mishandling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
VPOTUS is viewed as a coequal to POTUS in this regard, and as is noted on the ruling on presidential records act is called out as not be  covered by legislatively created laws in regard to handling and storage of  classified materials.  

So not quite as settled and on point when compared to the POTUS but probably overall a nothing burger.
View Quote

Do share the link to the source documents that support your statement.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The difference is that the former Vice President couldn't have declassified those documents in his possession.

The VP is not a declassifier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I kept a ton of secret stuff in a locked file cabinet. Most people have no idea how mundane most a vast majority of the classified stuff is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. I kept a ton of secret stuff in a locked file cabinet. Most people have no idea how mundane most a vast majority of the classified stuff is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third sentence is true, but for fucks sake...
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

EO 13526.

Sec. 1.3.  Classification Authority.  (a)  The authority to classify information originally may be exercised only by:

(1)  the President and the Vice President;

PART 3 -- DECLASSIFICATION AND DOWNGRADING

Sec. 3.1.  Authority for Declassification.  (a)  Information shall be declassified as soon as it no longer meets the standards for classification under this order.

(b)  Information shall be declassified or downgraded by:

(1)  the official who authorized the original classification, if that official is still serving in the same position and has original classification authority;

(2)  the originator's current successor in function, if that individual has original classification authority;

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The difference is that the former Vice President couldn't have declassified those documents in his possession.

The VP is not a declassifier.
View Quote
True, but the similarities are that the swamp is using this because they want to get rid of both of them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These days, the good reasons to have paper classified documents are pretty slim. The information lives on computers, in databases, etc. To me, printing classified hints at intentional mishandling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is Sandy Berger still in prison?
View Quote

He's in hell,  so yes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

99.9% missed that altogether.
View Quote
I would imagine so. Most that think they've been deep in the rabbit hole, have not.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The ONLY Classified material that Biden could have declassified, would be material that HE had originally classified as the "Original Classification Authority."

He cannot declassify material that was classified by the President or other Agency head that has Original Classification Authority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EO 13526.

Sec. 1.3.  Classification Authority.  (a)  The authority to classify information originally may be exercised only by:

(1)  the President and the Vice President;

PART 3 -- DECLASSIFICATION AND DOWNGRADING

Sec. 3.1.  Authority for Declassification.  (a)  Information shall be declassified as soon as it no longer meets the standards for classification under this order.

(b)  Information shall be declassified or downgraded by:

(1)  the official who authorized the original classification, if that official is still serving in the same position and has original classification authority;

(2)  the originator's current successor in function, if that individual has original classification authority;

The ONLY Classified material that Biden could have declassified, would be material that HE had originally classified as the "Original Classification Authority."

He cannot declassify material that was classified by the President or other Agency head that has Original Classification Authority.

I can't help but wonder if enough of these scandals will drive a rewrite of EO 1326 with more "clarification" of overarching executive authority.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I do not really think we should be talking about our procedures for handling classified material on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I do not really think we should be talking about our procedures for handling classified material on the internet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Directives/issuances/dodm/

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a difference between dry, government regulations and procedures and what folks actually do, with the latter including much more real world detail.

I’ll be alone on my island but I do not think it should be discussed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just like when midcaps banging his chonkers, you just gotta double bag it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In fact, classified material can be sent via USPS.
Just like when midcaps banging his chonkers, you just gotta double bag it!

LOL, it is true!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is a difference between dry, government regulations and procedures and what folks actually do, with the latter including much more real world detail.

I'll be alone on my island but I do not think it should be discussed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be alone on my island but I do not think it should be discussed.
lol it's not like we're sharing spin dial combo's and pin codes to the doors.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I lock the kids' X-Box controllers in a Classified Carry Bag when I don't want them to play.  Is that wrong?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh. If it’s only confidential or secret, it’s hardly classified anyway.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh. If it's only confidential or secret, it's hardly classified anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. If it's only confidential or secret, it's hardly classified anyway.
In over 20 years of having a clearance I don't think I've ever even seen anything at Confidential level either. I know it's out there, somewhere. Just seems like CUI picks most of the slack then jumps to Secret.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Above secret and open storage equals SCIF.

You remember my work environment and I handled Secret daily.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Serious question.   Is this information stored in paper form only?    Meaning removing it from the scif or wherever and its lost to history never to be seen again?   Or is it all digitized / imaged?    

Normally Id say of course it’s digitzed !   But this is .gov were talking about,
View Quote

No

There are multiple levels of secure email and internet systems.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top