Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Upstate SC.  I am not worried about you voting correctly.  

Hit me up when you get here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about fucking your own face?

I do a lot to stem the tide.
View Quote

Harsh, but fair.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Surprised it hasnt been posted yet,

Winters are pretty tame, summers are hot but no humidity on the Western side.  Low cost of living and low taxes.  Last year's property taxes were $377 for 3600 sq ft house with pool and barn on 10 acres.

Damn, I just realized we are full, you might want to consider Florida
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
We've done this (good) exercise repeatedly for the past 2 decades.

WY, MT & SD are high on the list...but. Weather & cost of living.

One way or another state governments ARE going to fund themselves. They aren't going to print their own money so cost of running .gov has to come from other sources - property taxes, sales tax, use tax, fuel tax...you get the picture.

If you have the funds & time (ie-retired) or can work from home, Holding residence in a low tax state makes some sense. But living semi-nomad can be a way to have the best of it all.

Summers in WY & winters in AZ, NM & west TX is currently the best compromise I can come up with.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Upstate SC.  I am not worried about you voting correctly.  

Hit me up when you get here.
View Quote

Yeah sorry, if he's gonna shit post about fixing states he can eff off.

This is from the Pittsburgh Rally that I helped organize.

Which showed up in Richmond with me and a bunch of others.

But one of my favorites is when we flooded Harrisburg for Senate hearings and forced Cease Fire PA to take the floor.

But that's neither here nor there. The point is, I bring 2A absolutism wherever I move.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We've done this (good) exercise repeatedly for the past 2 decades.

WY, MT & SD are high on the list...but. Weather & cost of living.

One way or another state governments ARE going to fund themselves. They aren't going to print their own money so cost of running .gov has to come from other sources - property taxes, sales tax, use tax, fuel tax...you get the picture.

If you have the funds & time (ie-retired) or can work from home, Holding residence in a low tax state makes some sense. But living semi-nomad can be a way to have the best of it all.

Summers in WY & winters in AZ, NM & west TX is currently the best compromise I can come up with.

View Quote

Semi nomad IS high on the possibilities. Including living overseas a few months a year..., but that kind goes the idea of the thread.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would think it's too cold for much gardening and not too many good hospitals.  Cost of heating for the winters probably high.  I'm sure it's nice there but it's been years since I've been there
View Quote
The medical here sucks outside of basic care, Billings, Denver or Salt Lake are options for more specialized care.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good thoughts so far. Keep em coming. Having just turned 48, I want to start putting plans in place for retirement location.

I am born and raised PA, and I love PA, but this state is falling and as soon as they get their hands on both sides of the legislature, that's the end of our 2A here.

Plus taxes suck.
View Quote

I’d head to northern WV. That my plan. I grew up in PA as well and WV offers nearly the same environment with a lower cost of living/taxes. You can easily be in Pittsburgh if you settle near Morgantown or Leesburg if you settle near the panhandle via a short drive for the “city” amenities.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd head to northern WV. That my plan. I grease up lm PA as well and WV offers nearly the same environment with a lower cost of living/taxes. You can easily be in Pittsburgh if you settle near Morgantown or Leesburg if you settle near the panhandle via a short drive for the "city" amenities.
View Quote
I love WV too. Spent a lot of time on the Hatfield McCoy trails. Some real depressed areas after the coal collapse, but that can be said of anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I spent over a year living in NH while my boat was in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. I really did love it there.

I love changing seasons.., hence tongue in cheek "trying to avoid FL," but if I'm looking for a good retiree tax situation + 2A friendliness, then things like heat/cold/snow/etc are secondary.
View Quote

IMO southern NH is kinda boring and soulless.

The better parts are north and west.

NH is hard to beat tax and freedom wise, but the cost of entry is moderately high.

These aggregators are hit and miss, but can provide a start point.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
https://www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/new-hampshire

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1166970506/tax-burden-by-state-income-property-sales

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love WV too. Spent a lot of time on the Hatfield McCoy trails. Some real depressed areas after the coal collapse, but that can be said of anywhere.
View Quote

Yeah I’d avoid southern WV…but within a 20 min drive of Morgantown there are nice rural areas to choose from that are more resilient economy wise.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IMO southern NH is kinda boring and soulless.

The better parts are north and west.

NH is hard to beat tax and freedom wise, but the cost of entry is moderately high.

These aggregators are hit and miss, but can provide a start point.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/https://www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/new-hampshire

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1166970506/tax-burden-by-state-income-property-sales

View Quote

Thank you, I'll check em out when I wake up later. Just getting off work so off to bed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Folks interested in WY really need to spend a few there in Winter before formulating a move. There was good reasoning behind why my brother built his place in the SE side of a hill.  He also had six heavy hinges on his mud room door.

A house about a quarter mile north of him he called "The Spring House". It caught the full brunt of fhe 8 months of winter. Got it's name because it always had a For Sale sign every Spring.  
View Quote

Driving across WY let me know how much I do not want to live in that windy ass fucking state. Fuuuuuck all that.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would say WV. We have lots of little taxes, but overall our tax burden is pretty low. And its getting better.
View Quote

@colkllink  What did you mean by "and it's getting better"?

Also, in WV are there county taxes and city taxes? WV is on my short list.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks like we're going to be stuck in Texas as we want tp move closer to our son. That being said at least I know how to "work" the property tax deal in our favor as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good thoughts so far. Keep em coming. Having just turned 48, I want to start putting plans in place for retirement location.

I am born and raised PA, and I love PA, but this state is falling and as soon as they get their hands on both sides of the legislature, that's the end of our 2A here.

Plus taxes suck.
View Quote
There's a bunch of elections between now and your retirement date. I looked across several states from Washington, to Michigan, to Texas, to Arizona. Make sure you look at taxes that people pay, not what the General Discussion says is paid, many live in mom's basement and have no idea of what the fuck they're talking about. Their ignorance mixed with hate confuses them and they say things that just aren't true at all. Completely wrong yet they spread their misinformation here and other's repeat the nonsense. Find the numbers on any one of a hundred web sites, do not trust what people here say until you've looked at the claim.

Damn I wish we lived in a Constitutionally limited Republic.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wyoming is a good call.  No state taxes and as much 2a freedom as you'll find anywhere.  If you can put up with the wind, the winters and the isolation, it's perfect.  

I'm ready to go someplace warm.
View Quote
No state taxes?

No state real estate or income taxes?

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Retirees must also factor in health care. I had to travel 60 miles to have my hip fixed. The logistics were a bit daunting.
And poorer states have poorer doctors.  NM and Idaho both have to bribe med school grads to move there: "work here xx years and we'll pay your school loans."
View Quote

And doctors that studied in South America and interned in Brazil.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]
You can't just say "tax friendly" and come up with some easy answer.  It doesn't work that way.  The answer for tax friendly is almost always personal to your situation.

If you are a combat injured vet living on retirement income IL is incredibly tax friendly, but no one outside of that tiny subset of the population thinks of IL as tax friendly.

If you make a lot of money on dividends outside of retirement accounts states with no state income might be nice, but if you only have pension/ss income there are more states that don't tax retirement income.

If you insist on a huge house and property then you need to consider low property tax states.

etc. etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
South Alabama is good.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What states offer tax friendliness for retirement while being very 2A friendly?

I'm coming up with Wyoming.

Who else?
View Quote

Stay where you are and fix your own state
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Surprised it hasnt been posted yet,

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/2013_44/65916/laura-conaway6F63C376-C5EB-B158-DC2C-3308B60225CA_f4928ec20d27316fe6db1701a5a8f643.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Winters are pretty tame, summers are hot but no humidity on the Western side.  Low cost of living and low taxes.  Last year's property taxes were $377 for 3600 sq ft house with pool and barn on 10 acres.

Damn, I just realized we are full, you might want to consider Florida
View Quote

We are full.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can't just say "tax friendly" and come up with some easy answer.  It doesn't work that way.  The answer for tax friendly is almost always personal to your situation.

If you are a combat injured vet living on retirement income IL is incredibly tax friendly, but no one outside of that tiny subset of the population thinks of IL as tax friendly.

If you make a lot of money on dividends outside of retirement accounts states with no state income might be nice, but if you only have pension/ss income there are more states that don't tax retirement income.

If you insist on a huge house and property then you need to consider low property tax states.

etc. etc.
View Quote

On that note.  NH currently has a 5% dividends and interest tax.  It is in the process of being phased out and will go away completely after 2027.  There was a move to make it go away after this year, but the bill was retained in committee-likely to see how the start of the phase out works.  

Property tax is also hugely variable in most states.  Here in NH the tax is often thought to be sky high-it sort of is, but there are so many tricks out there to get it lower depending on the town and the lot you buy.  Large parcels get some good exemptions.

but you're right.  You have to approach this as tax friendly to your own specific situation.  That's how I ended up retired in NH.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retirees must also factor in health care. I had to travel 60 miles to have my hip fixed. The logistics were a bit daunting.
And poorer states have poorer doctors.  NM and Idaho both have to bribe med school grads to move there: "work here xx years and we'll pay your school loans."

Lots of folks in New Mexico travel to Texas for healthcare, especially specialty care. New Mexico's medical system is not good.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#26]
TN or FL

Pros
-Low cost of living
-no income taxes
-great gun laws.
-great climate
-no blizzards

Cons
-FL has hurricanes
-West TN has tornados.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#27]
The Bitterroot Valley in MT is considered the "Banana Belt" and we have the Yellowstone ranch. Ever see them in mass quantities of snow?

Zero sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#28]
One of the reasons we left AL for FL was medical care quality.  We were driving 80 miles each way to use the Vanderbilt University Medical system due to experiences with medical care in AL.  AL is tax friendly to retirees and is great for the 2A, but the doctors are nowhere near the best.  In FL, my cardiologist is less than five miles from my home as is a good hospital.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's a reason no one lives in WY, aside from miners, ranchers and sex offenders.  It's really an awful state, barren, cold and windy.  A few parts look decent enough, but they're even more expensive than wherever you're trying to escape from, at which point taxes don't seem to matter.  Most of it sucks balls.  
View Quote
oh ohh I know- sudden stroke of inspiration- Let's make Wyoming a penal colony!!

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I picked TN for those exact reasons.  Patron State of shooting stuff.  No state income tax.  Low property tax rates.  

Last year we had a small surplus in excess of the state budget so the Governor cut automobile tag renewals to $5.  It’s normally $25 or so.  If your state had extra cash, what would it do with it?

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What states offer tax friendliness for retirement while being very 2A friendly?

I'm coming up with Wyoming.

Who else?
View Quote

Before you jump on Wyoming, you should check out real estate prices: www.LandWatch.com . If you want to spend north of $300,000 for a 3 bedroom ranch with no basement and a car port on 4 acres of scrub land then they have plenty of that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Bitterroot Valley in MT is considered the "Banana Belt" and we have the Yellowstone ranch. Ever see them in mass quantities of snow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6fZUeapEg

Zero sales tax.
View Quote

Tell us about housing and land prices...
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You have to include cost of living in this equation.

For example, Mississippi has a state income tax (and great gun laws)....but is so cheap to live in most areas, you could still come out ahead of a no tax state.

View Quote

Same with AL
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The legislative branch and governors office are firmly in Republican control. They are voting all the time to drop little fees and taxes.

Again, after my last divorce I briefly stayed with my mom in Md. My work was taking out Md income taxes. I got back to WV as soon as I could find a house, it was like getting a pretty decent raise, just the decrease in state taxes with held.

We have constitutional carry, our self defense laws are as good as any, outside of Texas, theirs is the best.

But, the Republicans are slowly unfucking what it took the Democrats to do over several decades.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Stay where you are and fix your own state
View Quote

Are you looking for an invitation to make sweet love to your own face? Because that's how you get invited to make sweet love to your own face.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gov Justice signed a bill this year that will reduce state income tax by 21% starting in 2024. WV has been running a surplus the last few years that is over a billion dollars, so they are reducing income tax by $750 million to compensate for the surplus.

County taxes are property tax and personal property on vehicles. The valuation varies by county, and primarily the county taxes pay for schools. Counties with fewer schools due to low population, or large tax payments by business have lower property tax on individuals. There is a "homestead exemption" for folks over 65 years old that reduce the tax on their primary residence by 20%. I can give you an example on taxation, my property taxes are about $2000/year. My primary residence is about 2000 sq ft house on three acres with a small 720 sq ft barn and a 1500sq ft garage. My property tax on my home is about $950. I also have a 72 acre farm about 15 miles from home and property taxes on it are $1000. The farm is high because the income from a gas well exceeds the value of the farm proceeds, so it is taxed at a higher rate than agricultural (about 60% higher).

The county personal property taxes are on vehicles. Everyone seems to make a big deal of it, but four cars/trucks/SUV and two motorcycles that I own I pay about $110 a year. Starting in 2024 the personal property tax looks like it will be deductable from state income tax. The only city taxes I am aware of are some larger cities (bear in mind the largest "city" in the state is about 70,000 population) are permitted to charge a 1% sales tax on top of the state 6% sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howsabout you work on fixing your fuckin state?

I love it here!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
South Carolina

Taxes, climate, pro-2A, beaches, mountains, etc.

The problem(s) is/are all the liberal mindset northerners moving down here and, to some degree, even the halfbacks coming up from Florida.  

They're changing things here unfortunately. Our culture is being ripped apart.
View Quote

Same shit here in NC
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FL starting July 1 is permitless concealed-only carry. Property taxes are cheaper compared to GA. Weather wise, if you enjoy heatt and humidity, it sure beats frozen and cold. Cost of living is on the rise and property isn't cheap.
View Quote

Hurricanes
Alligators
Vibrant criminals from the island South of Miami.
Population influx since the scamdemic.

I can't wait to GTFO of here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm all about 2A. (I never open carry)
I dislike winter.
Here I am, after 54 years in KY.
View Quote

You still list Florida as your state
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#44]
For those of you thinking about a freedom loving western lifestyle when you “retire”—-stay fit and healthy. Something folks rarely talk about is how physical it is to live out here——and how far it is to good medical care.

I had friends in Cody WY drive to Salt Lake City, UT for cancer treatments.

If you are blessed to end up on property or a ranch—- the work never ends.

I’m old enough to start feeling it and adjusting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Some 35 or so years ago I had it in my mind that I was going to retire to the Pacific NW. Beautiful part of the country that is now all screwed up by liberals and off the list, damn shame too. Sitka, AK is still attractive but damn it's isolated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#47]
For better or worse, the answer is TN.

If there was a better place I’d move there. There isn’t.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gov Justice signed a bill this year that will reduce state income tax by 21% starting in 2024. WV has been running a surplus the last few years that is over a billion dollars, so they are reducing income tax by $750 million to compensate for the surplus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The reduction is actually effective Jan 1, 2023 and it will be seen in paychecks shortly as the WV Department of Treasury has recently issued new withholding tables.  It affects the tax returns we file in 2024.

The county personal property taxes are on vehicles. Everyone seems to make a big deal of it, but four cars/trucks/SUV and two motorcycles that I own I pay about $110 a year. Starting in 2024 the personal property tax looks like it will be deductable from state income tax.

It's a big deal if you have a newer and/or expensive vehicle.  I pay $25 per year per vehicle for my little beaters with heaters.

Just to clarify: starting in 2024 the amount of personal property tax paid to the county is a state income tax credit not just an income deduction.  It's also a fully refundable credit so if your county personal property tax bill is more than the income tax you owe, you get a refund from the state.

WV also doesn't take income taxes out of certain pensions, and I think a portion of social security is also exempt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Nevada, no state income, reasonable property and sales taxes.  2A seems gtg
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Every state has a level of suck.  Some have more pros than cons.  Coming here from AZ, there was a lot that went into the decision.  There's no buyers remorse per se and we aren't leaving but after having been here 2 years now, maybe OK would have been a better choice.  Every state has Dem run cities with Dem policies.  Nashville is no different than say ATL, St. Louis, Birmingham, etc.  Places around here tout their "progress" and "progressive" policies.  Densely populated Dem areas have power and influence.  Every state will soon be its own mini USA where small pockets influence the entire area.  

Every government - city, county, state is trying to draw more $ through a larger tax base and more taxes.  People do not have the $ to pay larger or more types of taxes.

The biggest issue is everyone wants "land", but what does "land" mean to the persons looking.  Some people would be happy with 2, 5, 10 acres.  Some can only afford that much or can only afford the taxes on that much.  I wanted 100 minimum but was lucky in getting 250.  There are some big farms and privately held tracts around us.  These are being sold to developers, being subdivided and then sold as smaller parcels that folks can afford.  Smaller tracts of residential property don't qualify for tax breaks given to Agg. land. so there is more $ to be made in county and state property tax.

Where we had about 5 adjoining properties when we bought will soon be 10 or 12.  A 400 acre farm behind us is going to be 40 ten acre parcels and I am gaining about 6 individual adjoining properties along the back of the place.   This subdivision of land into smaller more affordable tracts will be a boon for Gov and a bust for folks who want to live in peace.

Find a place you like and can afford, put up a fence or a bunch of no trespassing signs.  Close the gate to your driveway.  Maintain the greatest level of self sufficiency you can.  Garden, animals, water, wood, meds, ammo.  

Page / 5
Top Top