Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 567
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Some have met or will meet it but some have also included stuff the rest wouldn’t consider defense expenditures.

Canada is saying 2030 for their hope to meet 2%

Trump now wants 3%

The countries with their ass on the line like the Baltics and Poland met it a long time ago
View Quote

Those are the ones (Baltic States and a couple, but not all of the former WARSAW Pact nations) can be counted on because they truly understand the stakes. The Western European nations on the other hand... They have plans to meet the 2% by 2028-2030 (according to the last NATO Defense Expenditure report), however, I maintain my stance that they're not likely to meet it. I simply don't believe they can be counted on.

There's been recent talks again about a shared "NATO Bank" to help lower the cost of defense spending, which to me, spells money problems, but not from the "smaller countries," but from the larger Western European countries that are supposed to have larger GDPs and a stronger economy.

Been tracking the financial aspects of the invasion for a long time and I still don't see major changes that would be indicative of a true committed response, just more political platitudes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#3]
Originally Posted By Evintos:

Those are the ones (Baltic States and a couple, but not all of the former WARSAW Pact nations) can be counted on because they truly understand the stakes. The Western European nations on the other hand... They have plans to meet the 2% by 2028-2030 (according to the last NATO Defense Expenditure report), however, I maintain my stance that they're not likely to meet it. I simply don't believe they can be counted on.

There's been recent talks again about a shared "NATO Bank" to help lower the cost of defense spending, which to me, spells money problems, but not from the "smaller countries," but from the larger Western European countries that are supposed to have larger GDPs and a stronger economy.

Been tracking the financial aspects of the invasion for a long time and I still don't see major changes that would be indicative of a true committed response, just more political platitudes.
View Quote

Understood, I’ve been pretty vocal about the issue since 2013/2014 to no avail

I’d agree that many members pledged are optimistic and not entirely reliable in certain ways on certain things.

I’m not an economist but if Europes major economies head into trouble the can is likely to get kicked again
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I wonder what the pro-Russian clowns in GD will make of that? "Norks always were the good guys"? or "All just the same"?
View Quote

Current talking point from Russia and China as well as members in some Senate staff is “there’s no proof”

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ4xCrcaYAABo40?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ4xCrfb0AEGKEp?format=jpg&name=small
    national Fengyun Shi, a grad student studying agricultural engineering at the University of Minnesota, has been sentenced to 6 months in prison after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts of use of aircraft for the unlawful photographing of a designated installation without authorization in connection with his drone flying in January above Newport News Shipbuilding in Norfolk.

Shi has also been ordered to be on court supervision for one year after his release as part of his sentence under a World War II-era statute that is part of the Espionage Act.Former U student from China given 6-month prison term for taking drone photos over naval shipyard
View Quote
...why isnt he being executed as a spy...
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

It's actually a thing in Larry Bond's book Cauldron. It goes into a pretty concise description of what would happen to a port and coastal area.
View Quote

Great book. He is under appreciated. Brains behind Red Storm Rising.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Could be everything, hopefully only sabre rattling to divert US forces in order to take away pressure from Russia.

We'll see.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

Best Korea definitely seems to be getting ready for war. Does Kim plan on starting it? Or is he getting ready to play defense?  They have been laying a lot of new mines on their side of the DMZ.

Could be everything, hopefully only sabre rattling to divert US forces in order to take away pressure from Russia.

We'll see.

Lil' Kim likes his job. He's just saber rattling like he and his predecessors always do.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: absael] [#10]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ4xCrcaYAABo40?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ4xCrfb0AEGKEp?format=jpg&name=small
    national Fengyun Shi, a grad student studying agricultural engineering at the University of Minnesota, has been sentenced to 6 months in prison after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts of use of aircraft for the unlawful photographing of a designated installation without authorization in connection with his drone flying in January above Newport News Shipbuilding in Norfolk.

Shi has also been ordered to be on court supervision for one year after his release as part of his sentence under a World War II-era statute that is part of the Espionage Act.Former U student from China given 6-month prison term for taking drone photos over naval shipyard
I'm pretty sure we can't execute people spying for a country that we're not officially at war with.

But the sentence was definitely too light IMO.  And the decision to let a convicted foreign spy stay in the country is baffling.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CMOS:

So NATO does?.......

CMOS
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMOS:

So NATO does?.......

CMOS

They better do something. Pretending it's not really happening isn't going to work for much longer.

This is what happens when military assistance is slow-rolled.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I have no data to back up my feelings, but I have felt for about a month or so now that both Russia and Ukraine are on the verge of breaking.

The problem is that Russia has NK, Iran and China to help with men and material while UA has the EU and the US.

On paper this should be a no brainer, but it seems there is little to no heart left in the west for the fight.

Two years in and there are no Eagle squadrons, Flying Tigers or La Fayette Escadrille.

Two years in and the west shivers and flinches under Chinese hacking attacks and Russian sabotage instead of gearing up and butt fucking them on live TV nightly.

I try to stay positive and not clutter up the thread with doom but it truly looks like that's where we're headed.

My heart and prayers are with UA. May their will and strength never fail them as we have, and may God and Saint Michael protect them, because we sure as hell aren't.
View Quote

Stating the reality of the situation isn’t doom.  The situation can’t change if there isn’t a honest conversation on what is actually happening.  I’ve been saying for a while now that 50% of the world is helping Russia and a lot of that 50% is all in. I was laughed at by many here when I said it.  But it was true then and it’s true now.  The west and our half of the world isn’t all in. We half assed sanctions. We easily could have  gave Ukraine what they needed.  Ukraine has gone above and beyond its capabilities.  Their effort in this is truly heroic.  Hopefully the west makes changes especially Europe.  I have a feeling America is going to be tied up elsewhere in the world real soon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you think the "kid" was an actual spy or just pro CCP simp that was contacted by a friend of a friend who wanted some pictures for his "school project"?

I think most actual CCP agents are working for US politicians as aids, secretaries, drivers, and girlfriends. Or employees of critical manufacturers and firms doing cutting edge research.
View Quote

That's why I said "dual use visa holders." The kid is a legit student in agriculture, a field that clearly has valuable domestic utility in China. But, he's a Chinese citizen in the US, presumably has some dependencies on the State (scholarship money?), and having some contact that may or may not even be known to him say "hey, go to this location with this kind of drone, get some video & pics and upload them to this site. All the money for the job has been deposited in your account." It's the easiest espionage ever. CCP doesn't have to risk an actual agent for a very low-resource effort, the huge population of Chinese students in the US gives them a massive base to recruit from, and one-off jobs like this can be done on the cheap with almost no risk. Is the US IC actually going to surveil every Chinese student's communications to forestall actions like this? Certainly not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Europe doing their best to be conquered.

It’s the natural cuck in their blood.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Pretty sure they do think it will stop there. Ukraine isn't really part of the Euro club, so fuck those guys. Who cares if they get raped, murdered, pillaged, and genocided? Normalcy bias is a bitch.

And even if they don't think there's a threat to 'proper' Europe, the reality is that a Russian win puts millions more Ukrainian refugees in Europe. I'm a little surprised they don't appear to be concerned about the prospect.

If the current trend of the war continues, what's left of Ukraine will be empty and unproductive until Russia takes the rest of it over.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Pretty sure they do think it will stop there. Ukraine isn't really part of the Euro club, so fuck those guys. Who cares if they get raped, murdered, pillaged, and genocided? Normalcy bias is a bitch.

And even if they don't think there's a threat to 'proper' Europe, the reality is that a Russian win puts millions more Ukrainian refugees in Europe. I'm a little surprised they don't appear to be concerned about the prospect.

If the current trend of the war continues, what's left of Ukraine will be empty and unproductive until Russia takes the rest of it over.
View Quote

I think Poland will get involved. Eventually
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]

That's why I said "dual use visa holders." The kid is a legit student in agriculture, a field that clearly has valuable domestic utility in China. But, he's a Chinese citizen in the US, presumably has some dependencies on the State (scholarship money?), and having some contact that may or may not even be known to him say "hey, go to this location with this kind of drone, get some video & pics and upload them to this site. All the money for the job has been deposited in your account." It's the easiest espionage ever. CCP doesn't have to risk an actual agent for a very low-resource effort, the huge population of Chinese students in the US gives them a massive base to recruit from, and one-off jobs like this can be done on the cheap with almost no risk. Is the US IC actually going to surveil every Chinese student's communications to forestall actions like this? Certainly not.
View Quote

What's stopping them from hiring a local methhead to fly the same drone?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Would Europe be so upset about taking in Ukrainian refugees?  The Syrian/African refugees haven't been wildly successful at assimilating and Europe is still well short of cannon fodder and has shrinking labor pools to fill.  There are probably more than a few elites who grin while imagining what they can do if they get a less culturally enriching population refill followed by the return of cheap Russian energy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Its almost like is Ukraine is the British durting the early parts of WW2, Everyone else wants to sit out and  let the axis of evil reform itself. Frussia, Fnorth korea, Firan, Fchina is asshole are combining their strengths. For them its all about pushing the west and Nato, and getting away with

everything. We need to be more like Isreal and do the needful when it needs to be done, not sending our enemies money and strongly worded letters. It really makes you think just how compromised our elctorate really is. This woke BS is gonna be the death of us all. Time to say "let's Roll".
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Julius and Ethel Rosenberg beg to disagree.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By absael:
I'm pretty sure we can't execute people spying for a country that we're not officially at war with.

But the sentence was definitely too light IMO.  And the decision to let a convicted foreign spy stay in the country is baffling.

Spies dissapear all the time, Its the risk of their job, we just need to be serious about it. But our electorate is to compromised and doing everything they can to make sure the Dems win the whitehouse, at our expense.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#26]

View Quote

Too light indeed. Stronger punishment discourages espionage agents with weaker loyalty (especially those whose motivations to commit espionage is entirely financial). Keeping a convicted foreign spy in prison also gives the US a bargaining chip/leverage in various negotiations. Well... assuming they (negotiators, diplomats and politicians) utilize it correctly unlike the whole Viktor Bout/Brittney Griner deal. What a terrible deal that was...
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Well Elon and SpaceX just advanced what constitutes srs bzns. Russia's posing is increasingly cringy.
View Quote

Could you please repost in English.?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Most of Europe is suffering a demographic crisis that can be helped with the influx of Ukrainian refugees. They beat the hell out of Islamist refugees.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that.  

Well in that case, while this incident doesn't rise to that level, we've probably missed a few opportunities through the years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#30]

View All Quotes
Do you think the "kid" was an actual spy or just pro CCP simp that was contacted by a friend of a friend who wanted some pictures for his "school project"?

I think most actual CCP agents are working for US politicians as aids, secretaries, drivers, and girlfriends. Or employees of critical manufacturers and firms doing cutting edge research.

Using local useful idiots who offer plausible deniability has long been an MO of intelligence agencies.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Nuclear weapon tech theft tends to raise the bar.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
One less target for Israel to worry about...

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#35]
The usual tonight.

❗️🇺🇦🏴💥 Explosions reported in Sumy and Dnepropetrovsk regions

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#36]
The Russian army has been preparing for an attack by the Ukrainian Armed Forces on the Kursk region and the probable capture of its conscripts by the enemy since February 2024

Based on the previous documentation of the Russian army on the Kursk direction published by me for June 2024, it can be assumed that the Russians knew about the intentions of the Ukrainian army to begin the "Kursk operation", but simply did not have time to prepare for this in a couple of months... Therefore, I am publishing the Order of the senior tactical direction "SUDZHA" on military-political work dated February 10, 2024, sent to the commander of the 2nd combined company of the 17th combined battalion of the 488th motorized rifle regiment

I would like to highlight direct quotes from the document separately:

"In the future, the enemy plans to create favorable conditions for an offensive from the territory of the Sumy region in the Kursk direction with limited objectives and transfer military operations to the territory of the Russian Federation (and what about "Donbass - Russia" and all that? 😅 )

The purpose of the actions may be:

- the seizure of border settlements to conduct negotiations on terms favorable to Kyiv;

- demonstration of the determination and capabilities of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, including for continuing to receive assistance from the US and the EU;

- undermining the trust of the Russian population in the Armed Forces and the military-political leadership of the country;

- creating conditions for foreign intelligence services to conduct operations to destabilize the domestic political situation in Russia."

And, of course, a little higher there is a separate point about the probable capture of prisoners of war, including conscripts - that is, the Russian leadership knew at least since February 2024 that the Ukrainian army was preparing for the probable capture of Russian conscripts on the Kursk border

And here is an interesting point for Russians and pro-Russian bastards - what did Putin and his military leadership decide in view of such intelligence? The right thing to do is to turn on TVs for their soldiers, including conscripts, in order to allow doubts about the need to stand on the border awaiting death or captivity

Here are a couple more of my favorite moments:

"Conduct daily briefing of personnel for 5-10 minutes on the developing situation around the events in Ukraine and in particular on the line of responsibility of the unit, on the successes of the group of troops during the SVO. For work use material from the Russian official media."

“…pay special attention to the formation of the correct attitude towards the residents of Ukraine, an understanding of their liberation mission”

Chief of Staff of the tactical direction "SUDZHA" - Lieutenant Colonel A. Berezina

Deputy Senior Tactical Directorate "SUDZHA" for VPR - Lieutenant Colonel S. Sorokin

Did it work?

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
My belief is that a lot of Iranian and Lebanese citizens would be quite happy to get rid of their government and the terrorists, and start living like normal people again.

I'm not nearly as sure about NK.  They've been isolated and fed vitriolic anti-US propaganda for a long time now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I have no data to back up my feelings, but I have felt for about a month or so now that both Russia and Ukraine are on the verge of breaking.

The problem is that Russia has NK, Iran and China to help with men and material while UA has the EU and the US.

On paper this should be a no brainer, but it seems there is little to no heart left in the west for the fight.

Two years in and there are no Eagle squadrons, Flying Tigers or La Fayette Escadrille.

Two years in and the west shivers and flinches under Chinese hacking attacks and Russian sabotage instead of gearing up and butt fucking them on live TV nightly.

I try to stay positive and not clutter up the thread with doom but it truly looks like that's where we're headed.

My heart and prayers are with UA. May their will and strength never fail them as we have, and may God and Saint Michael protect them, because we sure as hell aren't.
View Quote

Many feel the same way
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

This is what if feels like to me also. Actual CCP spies get caught sleeping around with half of DC, getting jobs as staff to prominent democrats and nothing happens to them, maybe deported. Meanwhile our actual POTUS family has directly received millions from CCP organizations and again nothing happens. That stupid kid getting 6 months among all the corruption seems silly.  He should have received an honorary degree and an internship at the WH.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Yeah whatever. Quantiity has a quality all its own.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The EU is vacuuming up "migrants" from Africa and the ME. Maybe 1% will ever be a net contributor to European society. Getting millions of college educated hard working folks from Ukraine is probably part of the reason for the sabotaging of the war effort. Probably 70% of Europeans would rather be slaves to Russia rather than go to war and fight the Russian hoards in their beautiful European cities again. Probably less than 1% would actually fight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Daily Ukraine map thread for Tuesday 15th October 2024

Highlights: Russian mechanized attack in Zhuralevka, Belgorod foiled by 3rd Spartan and some other units who had snuck into Belgorod unannounced

Rumours of a North Korean tribute of three to ten thousand soldiers to the war effort are circulating, but so far we've seen no indication they have actually turned up and are still wary that they actually will.

79th Air Assault show more destroyed Russian vehicles near Katerynivka. Apart from that, no significant changes in the front line bar minor changes west of Pischane, Kreminna, Toretsk and Pokrovsk/Selydove directions.

Map: https://uacontrolmap.com

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

What's stopping them from hiring a local methhead to fly the same drone?
View Quote

A Chinese grad student is reliable. I'm sure the kid knew what he as doing. Some average idiot who answers a craigslist ad would probably be an fbi informant.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ9_YcNXUAA3rJM?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ5uQymXIAAue-k?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ-D6bwWYAA54qK?format=jpg&name=medium

View Quote

So like the Russian military buildup on the border with Ukraine in 2020-21, a year before the 2022 invasion?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: absael] [#48]

So like the Russian military buildup on the border with Ukraine in 2020-21, a year before the 2022 invasion?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ9_YcNXUAA3rJM?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ5uQymXIAAue-k?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GZ-D6bwWYAA54qK?format=jpg&name=medium

I hope will it be at least that long.

I know Xi said 2027, but he knows that we're preparing as he is.  Honestly, I think he could probably do it tomorrow and would still be successful.

I'm looking at all those ships surrounding Taiwan, many of which are certainly military ships with disguised missile launchers (and/or troop landers of some sort) masquerading as civilian vessels, and I'm thinking "How the fuck are we going to stop that?"
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Everything they need is there for a blockade and has been for a while.  If they want to do a land invasion they need to move their civilian ferry’s into the area.  Or they have to wait until they build more amphibious assault ships. They can flatten Taiwan at will if they want to rule over ruins.  The build up has been going on well over a year.

Lots of information in Zoinks China thread.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 567
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top