Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
We haven't had clean air in at least a month due to this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
oh well....
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
“Portland firestorm”

Sounds like a sci-fi movie.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unvetted from an acquaintance in Portland. Sounds about right for 2020

Portland:  Heads up!  ????????????????????

Just wrapped up one of the busiest shifts I’ve worked in my nearly 18 years in the National Weather Service.  After a long year of dead weather, I feel alive again ??

??  Portland is seriously looking down the barrel of a severe fire weather event later tomorrow through Wednesday - one that, if it occurs how forecast models have been consistently been portraying for the past 2 days, will be the kind of fire weather event the Portland area only sees once every 50+ years.  

??  Our forecast is on the conservative side, but still ridiculous for this time of year.  East winds, developing later tomorrow, then gusts increasing to 35-45 mph in the metro area and gusts 60-80 mph in the hills.  Meanwhile, relative humidity drops to around 10-15% by Tuesday and perhaps into the 5-10% range if the drier forecasts come true.  

??  If you’re from Sonoma County and this sounds familiar, it should.  It’s essentially the same type of weather pattern that caused fire to rage into Santa Rosa in Oct 2017.  

??  If you’re in Portland, don’t be surprised if your power gets shut off sometime Monday and/or Tuesday.  This is the kind of event that may cause power companies to de-energize their power lines to prevent them from starting fires if they get blown down.  Such a fire destroyed neighborhoods in my hometown of Santa Rosa.  

??  I can already imagine the conspiracy theories that would fly on both sides of the political spectrum if power gets shut down.  If anyone tells you it was Antifa or white supremacists or China who shut down power, please laugh at their face for me.  It’s being done to keep us safe.

??  Remember:  No spark, no fire.  No fire, and we’ll get through this without tragedy.  For those who remember Sep 2017 and the Eagle Creek Fire, this appears to be 25-50% stronger than the wind event that caused that fire to spread nearly 20 miles in one night.  That “weaker” event caused flaming embers from Oregon to blow across the massive Columbia River and started a fire 1-2 miles away on the Washington side.  

??  There will probably be some damage from the wind alone.  Branches will break, and debris that has gathered since it was last windy will be shaken down.  If this event turns out to be as strong or stronger than current models suggest to me, we could see occasional East wind gusts 45-55 mph IN PORTLAND.  

??  If the higher-end projections pan out, this will be a very memorable wind event with gusts potentially as high as 60-70 mph in Portland.  With trees still green and fully leafed out, this would cause a significant amount of damage.

??  In case you can’t tell - I’m am EXTREMELY nervous about this event.  It has Portland Firestorm written all over it.  Let’s be smart and make sure thar doesn’t happen.  

??  Stay safe and smart out there.  Hopefully it turns out that we’re all over-forecasting this event.  But I’m going to make sure my cell phone is charged tomorrow through Tuesday, that’s for sure.
View Quote

So.. you are saying Portland Oregon could burn from a single "unintentional" cigarette tossed out of a moving car window.... ..

"honey im out of cigarettes i gotta go to the store for some..."

"you don't smoke.."
"I'm starting"

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Utah county where I live is full of heavy smoke today...I have wondered where it came from.

Looks like it could be from cali.  Again.
View Quote

If you breath enough of it, you might find yourself with a bad case of the munchies, and craving some Pink Floyd Music...
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
*Laughs In Montanan*

Forecast for tomorrow? High of 50, rain, snow above 6000'.

Happy Labor Day!  
View Quote

A lot of my friends in Bozeman aren’t laughing. Bridgers are on fire yo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just wrapped up one of the busiest shifts I’ve worked in my nearly 18 years in the National Weather Service.  After a long year of dead weather, I feel alive again ??

??  Portland is seriously looking down the barrel of a severe fire weather event later tomorrow through Wednesday - one that, if it occurs how forecast models have been consistently been portraying for the past 2 days, will be the kind of fire weather event the Portland area only sees once every 50+ years.  
View Quote

"Severe fire weather event"?  Are we just making up now like the Left?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. They just described a red flag warning. And Portland has one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like we could get rid of the EPA if we just booted California from the Union. Polluting greenies hypocrites.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think the smoke is working its way back here again. Pretty hazy out right now for 3:00pm.
View Quote

There may be a new fire north of El Paso county.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
That smoke is a known cancer causing agent and was not labeled as such when Cali exported it.  Nevada should file a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That smoke is a known cancer causing agent and was not labeled as such when Cali exported it.  Nevada should file a lawsuit.
View Quote

Honestly, how realistic would it be to sue California for their retarded environmental policies that have led to these fires? It doesn't seem like any other state has this issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fuck 'em.

Breathe deep, you commie bastards!!!
View Quote

I think I'll move to Fort Collins.  I'll bring my politics with me as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the smoke is working its way back here again. Pretty hazy out right now for 3:00pm.
View Quote
Cameron peak fire thats effecting me here in Denver.  Not looking forward to that plume from Cali tough.  Hope this cold front soothes things a bit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When do other western states sue CA for their annual insane air pollution (+greenhouse gases) they pump out into other states?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do we find CARB's fines against the people responsible for mismanaging their forests?  

When do other western states sue CA for their annual insane air pollution (+greenhouse gases) they pump out into other states?

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Will be in SoCal next Friday.  Can ya'll please put out the fires before I get there?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wife and I took a trip up to Leavitt Lake off 108 yesterday morning.  It was beautiful when we got there.  About 4 PM a smoke cloud moved in, blocked the sun and dropped the tempo about 10 degrees almost immediately.   There was ash all over the truck this morning and though it had a cleared a bit it was still pretty bad and likely to do a repeat this afternoon we just packed up and head home.  No smoke in the sac valley and the pool temp is perfect.

This is the shit rolling in from the south yesterday.
https://i.imgur.com/UomJsE0.jpg
View Quote

I went down to Sonora Pass yesterday from Lake Tahoe via 395 to pick up my wife and her hiking partner who were on the Pacific Crest Trail.  
They had just spent the last six days hiking from Yosemite up to 108.  When they saw the Slink Fire smoke plume in the distance along their planned route they decided to bail and hike the next section some other time.  
Much like for you conditions changed in a matter of a few hours from mostly clear to completely miserable for us.  That Creek Fire really blew up and pumped smoke north along the spine of the Sierras.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s bad, man. Big one up near Shaver & Huntington Lakes started a day or so ago and it’s spreading fast. I live about an hour away, down the mountain. Nearly everyone up there is a solid, patriotic American. Lots of horse trailers on the freeway today, coming down from the evacuation zones  

The parts of CA that burn are almost never the parts that Arfcom would celebrate burning if they really knew. Quite the opposite, really
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It’s bad, man. Big one up near Shaver & Huntington Lakes started a day or so ago and it’s spreading fast. I live about an hour away, down the mountain. Nearly everyone up there is a solid, patriotic American. Lots of horse trailers on the freeway today, coming down from the evacuation zones  

The parts of CA that burn are almost never the parts that Arfcom would celebrate burning if they really knew. Quite the opposite, really
View Quote

We know, but we still blame California government for their piss poor land management [or lack of it] that contributes to such immense fires due to so much dead fuel and it's lack of fire buffers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Learn to swim!
View Quote

FPNI

Any fuckin' time
Any fuckin' day
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
California is asshole.
View Quote

Whoah now—we banned ourselves from having guns so that YOU could have more. Is it our fault that traitors left our great land of GREAT WEATHER to populate your states? You could deal with them roughly, but you choose not to. This is no concern of ours.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Psalms 9:17
“The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.”

Well it’s a start so take heed!
View Quote

Sodom and Gomorrah of today.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*Laughs In Montanan*

Happy Labor Day!  

It's a fact of life here. Wildfires every year.

Three years ago when I started my house near Plains, the mountains along the Clark Fork were on fire. I couldn't see across my property. The year before that, everything near where I lived in Hot Springs burned. The next year, everything in Washington and Idaho was on fire, and we got all the smoke. Last year the area 7 miles down the road burned. Other than that, last year wasn't too bad.

This year it's fires near Hot Springs, Perma, Dixon, and south of Missoula.

Every year. Hot, dry, windy, lightning storms with no rain, and this is what we get.

Here's hoping tomorrow's weather helps.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We know, but we still blame California government for their piss poor land management [or lack of it] that contributes to such immense fires due to so much dead fuel and it's lack of fire buffers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preaching to the choir

One of my favorite secluded shooting spots is up that way. There have been insane amounts of dead trees up there since the drought peaked a few years ago. They been clearing them out but not like their lives depended on it, which is what needed to be done. I often thought, on my way up there, how much of a tinderbox the area is, and how bad it would be if it went up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I went down to Sonora Pass yesterday from Lake Tahoe via 395 to pick up my wife and her hiking partner who were on the Pacific Crest Trail.  
They had just spent the last six days hiking from Yosemite up to 108.  When they saw the Slink Fire smoke plume in the distance along their planned route they decided to bail and hike the next section some other time.  
Much like for you conditions changed in a matter of a few hours from mostly clear to completely miserable for us.  That Creek Fire really blew up and pumped smoke north along the spine of the Sierras.
View Quote

They probably walked right by our camp and we probably waved at them if not talked to them.   We were right next to the lake where the PCT goes by.

In this pic I'm standing ON the PCT to take a pic of our camp spot.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I was in Reno last week. It was pretty obvious there. Lots of smoke.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My wife keeps talking about this place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano... I'm talking about a little place called Utah.

She’s never been there, but has this image of a magical land that’s anywhere but California. So, yah. Watch your corn hole. We might be going in dry.
View Quote

we're full...
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#30]
That’s what happens with the “Smoky the Bear” mentality. Periodic prescribed fires would prevent this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Just like that 300 years of motorcycle green stickers progress went backwards on pollution.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#32]

"Gender reveals" are the dumbest shit ever.

Charge them suppression costs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#33]
You mean strict government control over industry and the environment isn't working?  How can that be?

Maybe they can try passing a law making it illegal for the forests to burn.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where do we find CARB's fines against the people responsible for mismanaging their forests?  

View Quote

If another state had wildfires and it blew into Cali you bet your ass Cali would sue that state
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Three years ago when I started my house near Plains, the mountains along the Clark Fork were on fire. I couldn't see across my property. The year before that, everything near where I lived in Hot Springs burned. The next year, everything in Washington and Idaho was on fire, and we got all the smoke. Last year the area 7 miles down the road burned. Other than that, last year wasn't too bad.

Every year. Hot, dry, windy, lightning storms with no rain, and this is what we get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
*Laughs In Montanan*

Happy Labor Day!  

And... This has probably been the most mild fire season in the past 10 years. Just 3 summers ago, my county had over 100k acres on fire, with the entire western part of our county evacuated within 4 days. The fires started in mid July and weren't out until around this time in September. The put it bluntly, 7k acres in 4 days, isn't really that bad of a fire. The Bozeman people are freaking out because they generally get their fires put out ASAP because of the minimal wilderness areas they let burn in other parts of the state. And, because "OMFG WHERE WILL WE SKI AND HIKE TO TO TAKE A COOL PICTURE I CAN POST ON SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!!!!" Bozeman has had it easy for a while, because "important" people want those fires out ASAP, and that's what's been happening. This fire as of midnight, has over 200 people working on it, and crews and air assets have been diverted from other fires to this one. Crews in my fire district working are being pulled from fires where I live, to go protect some rich mofos ski and hiking areas, while letting my county burn. The people in Bozeman should feel lucky that they are getting all the attention, while other parts in the state are told to go fuck themselves.

And, while it sucks to see my state, and my fellow citizens areas of fire, I'm super sick about Missoula and Bozeman constantly getting special treatment than just about any other part of the state.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
*Laughs In Montanan*

Happy Labor Day!  

I hope the weather helps and am well aware it’s a fact of life.  A number of friends are more directly impacted this year. Luckily, no one has lost a home yet. I still remember the first day at my first real job in Helena. Smoke was so thick I could see across Last Chance Gulch.

Wild land fires are a way of life in the West, including a California. It burns every year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I remember reading here and seeing links about how Cali used to be very marshy with more lakes but when they started damming up th rivers for power plants it dried everything up and thats why their in this mess now?  Is that right?
View Quote

Controlling the water is why the central valley grows so much food stuff. The fires aren’t generally occurring in the valley, they are occurring in the hills & mountains...
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe if they allowed logging of timber this wouldn't happen so much...last I knew they couldn't even build fire roads without protests.  Nope just let all the dead stuff pile up and dry out, don't allow access and hope there is never lightning.

Its the same Dems in charge that will not allow power plants to be built then cry when there is not enough power then wave in more illegals.

Fuck it, let the state burn and let it go dark till they realize they voted for all of this...all of it. They locked out any sanity from their state thus its now a burning blacked out insane asylum.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/People-Are-Stupid-Dep-t-Gender-Reveal-Party-Starts-7000-Acre-Fire/5-2366482/...
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Crazy that you can see the borders from space too. Didn't know that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#42]
We should fine them carbon credits based on their cap and trade BS. Bankrupt the state every year until they do the brush clean up like they're supposed to to mitigate fires.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And... This has probably been the most mild fire season in the past 10 years.
View Quote

I just worry that the season isn't over yet.  

Over here, in the Sanders County and surrounding areas, last year was super mild for fires. It was a welcome relief. Hardly any smoke from other areas, either.

This year the fires have been fairly small, so far, but the smoke has been as bad as other years. One night it was so bad that my indoor upstairs bedroom smoke detector woke me up with a false alarm. Crazy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#44]
CA needs to be fined for their massive carbon footprint due to fires.

CA is single handedly making global warming
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just like that 300 years of motorcycle green stickers progress went backwards on pollution.
View Quote

Probably more pollution then the entirety of CARB has eliminated in their history.
Overbearing green nazi fucks....
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I want to see calcs on how much greenhouse gas these fires have resulted in.

Easy to make the argument that all the BS fire suppression and lack of timber harvesting has done more to indirectly now affect climate change than any number of cars or power plants.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

we're full...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife keeps talking about this place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano... I'm talking about a little place called Utah.

She’s never been there, but has this image of a magical land that’s anywhere but California. So, yah. Watch your corn hole. We might be going in dry.

we're full...

Apparently not. Residential real estate is way easier to acquire in UT than ID.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, I remember not too long ago when this was not an annual thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back before you had to preserve all the flammable shit in the name of the environment this was less of an issue.

Yep, I remember not too long ago when this was not an annual thing.

Part of that is the development and expansion of rural communities.

Over the last few decades people have spread into heavily wooded areas and there is has not been a great enough effort or ability to cut trees and maintain the surrounding grounds.

As you not, there is so much fuel in so many places the fires are not even close to manageable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Fires are a natural thing. For many years we have put out Forrest fires which has honestly done more harm than good.  

So in the forrest duff falls from the trees to the forrest floor. The fires burn that off, so with us stopping the fires that duff only builds up. So now when it catches fire, it’s completely uncontrollable much much worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top