Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mesoamerican tribes had wheels. However there is no evidence they ever used it for anything more than children's toys.
View Quote

Because they didn't have domesticated beasts of burden imo.  That's where the wheel shines.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because they didn't have domesticated beasts of burden imo.  That's where the wheel shines.  

View Quote

They could have used wheelbarrows.

Though remarkably few cultures seem to have figured out that one. There's lots of amusing stories of wheelbarrows being introduced to various primitive people across the globe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The...Chinese?

I guess if you go buy the land bridge theory, but not any "modern" Chinese within the last 1000 years. They were nomads at that point, not a country or even a cohesive people. I don't think they had an blue water boats in the feudal age either iirc. I guess they could have traced the coast up siberia into alaska and down the coast of NA, but...
View Quote

You need to read up on your Chinese history. They were sailing giant flat tops along the West coast much more recent than 1000 ad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@sandboxmedic
You may find the Windover Bog Archeological Site interesting.

This page has a few neat pictures of the excavation.
And here is a video on it from the Science Channel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@sandboxmedic
sandboxmedic:
There was a Viking settlement in Florida before Columbus was around too.  It failed and nobody knows what happened to the people, but the remnants are still in the swamp.

You may find the Windover Bog Archeological Site interesting.

This page has a few neat pictures of the excavation.
And here is a video on it from the Science Channel.

Yep, that second video is where I first heard about them.  Definitely not something taught in your average history class.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have Odin's Day every week.
Once a week we can celebrate war and pillaging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vikings day just doesn't have a good ring to it, but COLUMBUS day?  That's a classic.

Don’t forget Thor’s Day and Freya’s Day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thor's day too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote we keep Columbus Day anyway.

Just because it drives leftists mad with fake rage!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually we celebrate, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (Tyrsday, Wotansday, Thorsday, and Freya/Friggasday)
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vikings day just doesn't have a good ring to it, but COLUMBUS day?  That's a classic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck Columbus/Indigenous People's day man, this sounds way better.
Attachment Attached File

Leif Erikson, Leiv Eiriksson or Leif Ericson also known as Leif the Lucky was a Norse explorer from Iceland. He is thought to have been the first European to have set foot on continental North America, approximately half a millennium before Christopher Columbus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems to me Columbus was an ambitious explorer who mastered the newest technology which was the development of relatively reliable blue water navigation.

Prior to the 1400's navigation was limited due to the primitive and smaller capacity ships. They couldn't reliably or safely travel long distance over a vast open ocean like the Atlantic.

In addition, it was also enabled by the increased projection power of European Colonial powers at that time. They were establishing colonies in Africa and Asia around this time as well.

The earliest Europeans (probably Vikings or Celts) who came to North America came along the Northern route across Iceland, Greenland, and then across to North America. That route is actually almost the shortest possible route and is never more than a few days sail from land at any point in the journey.

But the bounty of North America is really much further to the south. So for commercial purposes, longer range blue water ships and navigation had to be developed. Columbus was the first to take that leap into the unknown with only enough supplies for a one-way trip.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Columbus was the first to take that leap into the unknown with only enough supplies for a one-way trip.
View Quote
He followed St. Brendan's notes for the return trip over the north.

There was a guy named Tim Severin who led the journey in a reproduction of a 6th-century leather-hulled boat back in the 70s. They ate a lot of raw fish and seagulls.

Saint Brendan the Navigator

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He followed St. Brendan's notes for the return trip over the north.

There was a guy named Tim Severin who led the journey in a reproduction of a 6th-century leather-hulled boat back in the 70s. They ate a lot of raw fish and seagulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4WJdzvahGU
View Quote
God invented Whiskey... that is the only reason we Irish didn't take over the world.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Columbus didn't discover the Americas, he just held the first press conference about it so he gets the credit.

See also: Edison, Thomas Alva
View Quote

Tesla
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In Colombus's early life was that he was already an experienced sailor and had already been to places as far as Iceland. He probably heard stories of vikings going west from there already and knew without a doubt there was land out west. Keep in mind that it took him years begging various european kingdoms for funding for an expedition before Spain finally gave in, and even then they didn't really think he'd succeed. But Colombus always believed he would, probably because of what he heard in Iceland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what did the vikings do with their knowledge of these "new" far away lands.  

Jack

Squat

Where as Columbus came back and told pretty much anyone who would listen, which then started up one of the most profound shift of population between Europe, Africa, and the Americas.   This was far more historically significant

In Colombus's early life was that he was already an experienced sailor and had already been to places as far as Iceland. He probably heard stories of vikings going west from there already and knew without a doubt there was land out west. Keep in mind that it took him years begging various european kingdoms for funding for an expedition before Spain finally gave in, and even then they didn't really think he'd succeed. But Colombus always believed he would, probably because of what he heard in Iceland.

New evidence found in writings of a monk in Genoa indicate they knew about the new world long before Columbus' voyage. They had detailed info about Greenland, and general knowledge about Newfoundland. The Vikings traveled all over Europe as raiders and traders, bringing their knowledge with them.
It isn't far fetched to think Columbus had heard the stories.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

New evidence found in writings of a monk in Genoa indicate they knew about the new world long before Columbus' voyage. They had detailed info about Greenland, and general knowledge about Newfoundland. The Vikings traveled all over Europe as raiders and traders, bringing their knowledge with them.
It isn't far fetched to think Columbus had heard the stories.
View Quote

Some years ago I saw a documentary that claimed that Colombus wasn't a Genoese mariner, but a Catalan pirate. It offered a lot of interesting explanations for some of the more baffling aspects of his backstory.

I believe that Columbus had a bunch of maps printed up that made the journey to the spice islands going east look insanely long. While going west would seem quick and effortless. The man knew how to tell a story.

And regardless of his backstory his deal with the Spanish crown was insane. His family sued the Spanish government for centuries. Claiming that under the terms of his deal they owed them something like half the wealth generated by the discovery of the Americas.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh really?
View Quote

Kennewick man
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kennewick man
View Quote

Wasn't a white guy
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wasn't a white guy
View Quote

They finally agreed to a DNA test?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They finally agreed to a DNA test?
View Quote

They did.

He's related to guys who look like this

After that was established they buried him according to their customs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Columbus spent an entire winter in Iceland at a farm in Ingjaldshóll. What do you think was discussed? There's an old church nearby with a painting on the ceiling comererating his visit. The painting depicts him and a priest pouring over texts and maps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A properly crewed and built Longship is a remarkable piece of technology. I believe someone did an Atlantic crossing in a replica longship in the late 1800s. Direct from Norway to Newfoundland. No stops in Iceland or Greenland in 28 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did the voyage on Longboats across the ocean too, not huge caravels like Columbus had.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/C1CF/production/_115751694_noroseberggetty-115751693.jpg.jpg

A properly crewed and built Longship is a remarkable piece of technology. I believe someone did an Atlantic crossing in a replica longship in the late 1800s. Direct from Norway to Newfoundland. No stops in Iceland or Greenland in 28 days.

I watched a documentary in the late 1970s about a modern crossing attempt in the north Atlantic. I remember one scene where they had to make a repair to their ship  after hitting a small iceberg. They noted the Vikings wouldn't have had the same problems because it was so much warmer when they made the trip.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why use CE instead of AD if you are going to continue to use the Gregorian calendar.
View Quote

Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a need of horses called the Nokota, they are the war horses confiscated from Sitting Bull after his defeat. Their bloodlines were recently analyzed genetically and it was found that their bloodlines and ancestry were originally from Iceland and Norway. These are the traditional plains Indian's horses going back a few hundred years to pre-Columbus days. The Indians don't want to acknowledge this fact as it puts a hiccup in their narrative of white people being bad. There were also "legends" of blue eyed natives in the Dakota. These horses are proof of viking exploration and Indian interaction with them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#25]
So now the Minnesota Vikings are the new Christopher Columbus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Are we off the hook for stealing land now?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I demand repetitions for the lands stolen from my Nordic forefathers?
View Quote

I too demand repetitions!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nordic Heritage Day would be a hoot.

A bunch of folks wearing horned helmets  enjoying the day with rape, backyard BBQ, pillaging, and rape.  Sounds like a grand ol' time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Read up on how the potato got to Hawaii.
View Quote
I think he took Air Force One.

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have long believed that both the Vikings and the Chinese were in the New World before Columbus.  However, neither had a lasting impact and the Chinese came and departed.  The Vikings stayed and vanished (assimilated or went home to Greenland/Scandinavia?).  Anyway it was Columbus who made a permanent impact on the New World.
View Quote

This. Everything you see around you was brought about by Columbus's voyage. Not by Vikings or Indians. Although the Chinese made quite a bit of our junk so maybe they should have a holiday. (Change black Friday to Chinese Day?)
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some even believe the Phoenicians made it to the Americas too.
View Quote

Yeah. And settled in Peru, I believe.

Fascinating stuff, to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’d like to see more research on the Kensington runestone.  Found near Alexandria, Minnesota.

Lots of other Viking artifacts have been found in Minnesota too so it’s not just some stone a guy found underneath a tree.  There’s other evidence they were here.
View Quote

Isn't that thought to have been Knights Templar, rather than Viking?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Even Phoenicians in Brazil, supposedly even evidence of Egyptians in America and Australia, though I am not sure of that.
View Quote

A trusted friend of mine says he saw carved reliefs in Mexico showing Egyptian and Roman soldiers, alongside Mayan. I can't remember where, but he said the tour guide quickly hurried them away from the area when he realized where they were (off the tour path).

I think there's a shit-ton of history we're wholly unaware of - either by happenstance or design.

More likely the latter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#36]
in!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#37]
The Muppet Show - In the Navy
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread has the most unsubstantiated  crap I have ever read on my life

There are NO Viking sites on Florida!

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's right.

The FL site predates the Vikings by, oh, something like 23,000 years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

All GD anthropology threads go this way.

Any understanding of where we all came from peaked in the 30's and phrenology is still a thing
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There's a fascinating book showing Chinese influence in South America.  Can't remember the name but yeah, basically the local's pottery skills went up overnight the same time there was some huge Chinese fleet sailing around, same thing with a couple other technologies.
View Quote

There are stone statues in South America that look a lot like statues in India, the symbolism is amazingly similar to Hindu temple statues.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are stone statues in South America that look a lot like statues in India, the symbolism is amazingly similar to Hindu temple statues.
View Quote

The Olmec stone carvings definitely show Asian features
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Skol!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Olmec stone carvings definitely show Asian features
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Olmec_Head%2C_Mexico%2C_c._1960.jpg
View Quote

That is the place I was reading about.
It's in Colombia, and there are asian looking statues further north, as well.
Just looking at the construction of the huge structures in south america should be a clue that civilizations were pretty highly advanced. What happened to the people and knowledge is anyone's guess. Global or regional pandemic, wars, droughts, or any number of things.
Think about where you live, and consider what would be left after 1k years of mother nature. There would not be much here, or in most places.
Humans are good at three things, over complicating everything eventually, arrogance, and killing each other off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Columbus didn't discover the Americas, he just held the first press conference about it so he gets the credit.

See also: Edison, Thomas Alva
View Quote
Bingo.  Cod fishing on the grand banks had been going on for like a century before Columbus and it's likely they used the Newfoundland coast for drying fish etc... but no one really published it.  Why tell your competitors where the best fishing grounds are?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The...Chinese?

I guess if you go buy the land bridge theory, but not any "modern" Chinese within the last 1000 years. They were nomads at that point, not a country or even a cohesive people. I don't think they had an blue water boats in the feudal age either iirc. I guess they could have traced the coast up siberia into alaska and down the coast of NA, but...
View Quote
The theory has been around for a long time.

https://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1028.htm#:~:text=In%20AD%20499%2C%20a%20Buddhist,found%20in%20that%20arid%20land
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Columbus day is once a year.

Thor's Day is every week.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some even believe the Phoenicians made it to the Americas too.
View Quote

Show on the history Channel found 3500 year old paleo hebrew around the US...
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Actually we celebrate, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (Tyrsday, Wotansday, Thorsday, and Freya/Friggasday)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You missed Sunday  (Sunne day) and Monday (Mona day).  If we used the Roman/Greek names they'd be Sol/Helios, and Luna/Selene.
The only outlier in the week is Saturday, named for the Roman titan/god Saturn.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top