Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Christmas is about the children and being together.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife finally put her foot down with a few clients this year. She never would say what she needs or even offer an answer. She would always leave it up to them. But we have a problem. I think we have about $1500 in Victorias Secret gift cards piled up. There isn't anything there worth buying any more.

My mother.... well, I used to get sweaters every year along with a jacket. I guess she thought I looked cold, but I finally had to tell her not to buy me anything. Told her to save her money instead as I don't need anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much have to deal with this when it comes to my in-laws. And not just for me, but also for my wife and kids. It is always fun at this time of year. They mean well, but other than gift cards for the kids, none of it is ever used.

We tell them every year, just gift cards for the kids will do. Have to constantly remind them that the kids don't like the same stuff as 5 or even 10 years ago. That they already have too many clothes and will never wear whatever they pick out. That I don't use a briefcase and never will and the others are collecting dust. They mean well and are trying to be sentimental, yet they just end up wasting money. Then they complain that the gifts aren't being used. Never learn.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Alcohol, food, gift cards, tableware, clothes that ain't socks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only one I know of I've donated to in the past and will never again. There is a reason they are ''homeless,'' they are too LAZY to work. [even to the point of refusing to help to carry in boxes of food they will soon be eating] I wasn't raised to affirm those unwilling to work.

I suppose I could ask the dementia care home where the Ex was for a couple of years if they could use them. That is actually an idea that might work. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, everyone wears socks at some point.

Just say thankyou and save the receipt

No, I don't wear cotton socks, hate them, won't wear them,  and have no use for them other then to cut apart to use as cleaning rags or dusters. Someone always loves to give me those 6 packs of the miserable things. Probably have 4/5 of those packs tossed up on the top shelf in my closet still unopened.

Donate them to a homeless shelter.

Only one I know of I've donated to in the past and will never again. There is a reason they are ''homeless,'' they are too LAZY to work. [even to the point of refusing to help to carry in boxes of food they will soon be eating] I wasn't raised to affirm those unwilling to work.

I suppose I could ask the dementia care home where the Ex was for a couple of years if they could use them. That is actually an idea that might work. Thanks!

Whatever place fits your fancy. Or just throw them away, they're clutter and a reminder that you didn't want them in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know the deal, you tell people NOT to buy you such and such for Christmas and they still think that they know you better then you know yourself. So what DON'T you want for Christmas this year??????

Me, Clothes, I still have clothes I haven't worn from 10 Christmases past, still have the tags on them, will likely die before I wear out the same kind of clothes that are brand new. Automotive stuff, I need no new cleaners, waxes, polishes, sprays, or anything else relating to vehicle care. I have unopened stuff who's ingredients are probably banned in California  and East coast states now. [I still have lead additive cans]

Funnily though, my kid is in his 30's and he still wants socks [wool only please] and underwear every Christmas. Go figure.
View Quote

Socks have become the preferred gift for almost everyone in my family.  They all like the merino wool socks.  I probably buy more Smartwool and Bombas, for gifts, than any other brand.  :D
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yayyyyyyyy fruitcake!!!!!!!!!

I got a couple people Stroopwafle.
View Quote

From Aldi? You did good if so.

Edit- Beat and confirmed.

For any neckbeards, these are something that should be neckbearded. We have 4 boxes on tap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything firearms related or any motorcycle parts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife finally put her foot down with a few clients this year. She never would say what she needs or even offer an answer. She would always leave it up to them. But we have a problem. I think we have about $1500 in Victorias Secret gift cards piled up. There isn't anything there worth buying any more.

My mother.... well, I used to get sweaters every year along with a jacket. I guess she thought I looked cold, but I finally had to tell her not to buy me anything. Told her to save her money instead as I don't need anything.
View Quote

You should give VS another shot, they're not the same company they were in the late 90's and 2000's but they've sort of realized that lesbians who wear underwear with dickholes aren't who they should be marketing to.  Some of their stuff is actually nice looking - overpriced still but you have giftcards so its not your money anyway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends, soap, mouthwash and deodorant might be sending a message.  
Seriously, I hate that people feel they have to give you a gift, I appreciate a card with a personal message and not the basic Merry Christmas pre printed.
Got a thank you card from a recent wedding I attended and it is very touching and heartfelt, I will treasure it forever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You should give VS another shot, they're not the same company they were in the late 90's and 2000's but they've sort of realized that lesbians who wear underwear with dickholes aren't who they should be marketing to.  Some of their stuff is actually nice looking - overpriced still but you have giftcards so its not your money anyway.
View Quote

Like a recent change? We haven't been back in there in about 2 years. Not a single swimsuit in a normal female size and my wife isn't a 42 FF. Only stuff that was in her size was in the clearance section. It was very weird and the lingerie line-up was all fashion show junk and not comfortable. Stitching and stones made them uncomfortable OR they have a 3 inch band that said Pink on it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The Grandsons(4&2) each get $1k in their college accounts plus a couple of small toys to unwrap. They already have enough toys for ten kids.

We exchange wish lists with the wife's two boys and spend way too much IMO.

Between the wife and I it's usually, "I know what I want, I'll let you know when it gets here."
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Im a father I don't get Xmas presents.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But it really doesn't avoid the problem. Some people show love by thoughtful gift giving. It is my #1 love language. First year I was married my husband told me gifts were for kids and it was stupid to give gifts. Those words bit. But I told myself not to take it personally, that he shows love in another way. I still buy gifts for my husband and they are thoughtful gifts-not stupid ones. This year I bought him a mig welder, plus accessories. I found out that he needed one by listening to him describe the process he will go through when he rebuilds his truck (he's converting a 1994 F350 into a 1966 f100 (or vis- -vis). But he has nearly ruined Christmas for me. Yes I would love a thoughtful gift from him but I would be happy with not being married to Mr Scrouge and the Grinch wrapped in one. Yesterday he asked me what I wanted for Christmas and it really bit. We live rurally, Amazon is getting unreliable at this late date and I'm 6' tall - you can't buy off the rack for me. He knows me well enough to have put some thought into-but he doesn't care too. Some people truly love giving and Christmas is about loving each other-if you are not into giving at least don't suck the life out of those who love you by not being gracious by receiving. It also shouldn't be obligation. No one is obligated to by anyone a gift-that is a lie. I would rather someone just be honest with me and say that they didn't want to buy me a gift-then receive something stupid out of obligation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sucks having people that care about you.

I avoid those problems by not exchanging gifts with anyone.
But it really doesn't avoid the problem. Some people show love by thoughtful gift giving. It is my #1 love language. First year I was married my husband told me gifts were for kids and it was stupid to give gifts. Those words bit. But I told myself not to take it personally, that he shows love in another way. I still buy gifts for my husband and they are thoughtful gifts-not stupid ones. This year I bought him a mig welder, plus accessories. I found out that he needed one by listening to him describe the process he will go through when he rebuilds his truck (he's converting a 1994 F350 into a 1966 f100 (or vis- -vis). But he has nearly ruined Christmas for me. Yes I would love a thoughtful gift from him but I would be happy with not being married to Mr Scrouge and the Grinch wrapped in one. Yesterday he asked me what I wanted for Christmas and it really bit. We live rurally, Amazon is getting unreliable at this late date and I'm 6' tall - you can't buy off the rack for me. He knows me well enough to have put some thought into-but he doesn't care too. Some people truly love giving and Christmas is about loving each other-if you are not into giving at least don't suck the life out of those who love you by not being gracious by receiving. It also shouldn't be obligation. No one is obligated to by anyone a gift-that is a lie. I would rather someone just be honest with me and say that they didn't want to buy me a gift-then receive something stupid out of obligation.

Damn, I’m sorry.
When I was married I could always come up with a nice surprise.
I use to really love Christmas, it got harder after my oldest son died. But I still put a tree up
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, I don't wear cotton socks, hate them, won't wear them,  and have no use for them other then to cut apart to use as cleaning rags or dusters. Someone always loves to give me those 6 packs of the miserable things. Probably have 4/5 of those packs tossed up on the top shelf in my closet still unopened.

View Quote

Why not donate them to a homeless shelter or something? I'm sure someone would love to have any socks period
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t want anything for Christmas. I can buy what I want.
Appreciate it but buying shit don’t tell me you love me, not buying shit tells me you love me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, that's nice and even a grumpy ass like myself would appreciate it. I will give my wife credit, she was pretty good at listening to what I really WANTED but, chances are, wouldn't buy for myself normally. Always appreciated it because it meant she listened and heard what I said.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m still waiting on that Ranger bass boat I asked Santa for in 1997.

The last thing I need around my house is more junk. I’d prefer it if people would just send me a nice card for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m still waiting on that Ranger bass boat I asked Santa for in 1997.

The last thing I need around my house is more junk. I’d prefer it if people would just send me a nice card for Christmas.
View Quote

Closing in on 40 years of Santa not bringing me the USS Flagg.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I just want some peace and quite.  Nothing else.  dont buy me any more junk just to have a gift under the tree.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't buy me anything. I don't even know what I want. And I'm broke this time if year, so I'm not buying you anything lol. If you insist, then a gift card to Home Depot or something like that so I can buy tools for work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't want anything for Christmas. I tell my kids this every year because the wifey and I already have everything we need. They need to keep their hard-earned dollars and build themselves a better life!
Sadly, they don't listen very well I have soooo many placards, coffee mugs, t-shirts and sculptures attesting to the fact that I am in fact .... THE GREATEST DAD EVER! I expect to be hearing from Guinness any day now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because most clothes ''donation'' places are a shitpile of nasty garbage dumped and left lying for weeks. Also draws in bums and streetwalkers. SA is out now, don't have any use for the UW, and no one is begging for socks out there anymore then they are begging for underwear.
View Quote

The number one thing homeless shelters need is socks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty much have to deal with this when it comes to my in-laws. And not just for me, but also for my wife and kids. It is always fun at this time of year. They mean well, but other than gift cards for the kids, none of it is ever used.

We tell them every year, just gift cards for the kids will do. Have to constantly remind them that the kids don't like the same stuff as 5 or even 10 years ago. That they already have too many clothes and will never wear whatever they pick out. That I don't use a briefcase and never will and the others are collecting dust. They mean well and are trying to be sentimental, yet they just end up wasting money. Then they complain that the gifts aren't being used. Never learn.
View Quote
I go through this every year with some inlaws. I would rather they gave cash to the nieces/nephews who need it rather than buy stuff for me. I appreciate the thought but I honestly don't need more stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know the deal, you tell people NOT to buy you such and such for Christmas and they still think that they know you better then you know yourself. So what DON'T you want for Christmas this year??????

Me, Clothes, I still have clothes I haven't worn from 10 Christmases past, still have the tags on them, will likely die before I wear out the same kind of clothes that are brand new. Automotive stuff, I need no new cleaners, waxes, polishes, sprays, or anything else relating to vehicle care. I have unopened stuff who's ingredients are probably banned in California  and East coast states now. [I still have lead additive cans]

Funnily though, my kid is in his 30's and he still wants socks [wool only please] and underwear every Christmas. Go figure.
View Quote

My Mom does that and if you don’t get her anything, you will hear about through relatives three months later about what a cheep skate you are.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I told my girlfriend that all I want for Christmas is just her, naked with a red ribbon

We will find out soon enough
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I told my girlfriend that all I want for Christmas is just her, naked with a red ribbon

We will find out soon enough
View Quote

weird ,that's what I told her I wanted...
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was only married for 2 years when my wife told me to stop wasting money on roses for our anniversary.  "Just take me out to dinner!"

I chose wisely. (I buy my own power equipment, she buys her own purses, shoes, and jewelry)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was only married for 2 years when my wife told me to stop wasting money on roses for our anniversary.  "Just take me out to dinner!"

I chose wisely. (I buy my own power equipment, she buys her own purses, shoes, and jewelry)
I get your wife. I told my husband to buy me something I can plant and enjoy every year, so in the past two years he has bought me something to plant twice. Lol he doesn't like flowers. He used to buy me flowers 2-3 times a year but since I told him I didn't want fresh flowers he stopped. I don't bitch though, I did tell him not to buy fresh flowers. Men can be as difficult as women.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

See, that's nice and even a grumpy ass like myself would appreciate it. I will give my wife credit, she was pretty good at listening to what I really WANTED but, chances are, wouldn't buy for myself normally. Always appreciated it because it meant she listened and heard what I said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's so sweet. I'm happy for you. I actually don't mind (much!)  that my husband isn't a gift giver if he would just be happy that I care enough to give him a thoughtful gift. But it makes him feel guilty so instead of opening a really cool welder he would rather do without it because he won't buy it for himself and he feels guilty that I got it for him. All he needs to do is smile and say thank you, this is exactly what I needed/wanted. Anyway I don't want to pick on him. He's nearly perfect in every other way!

@3-guns Merry Christmas, bless you this Christmas
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't really want to receive gifts on Christmas, honestly. We really downplay the whole buying gifts for one another thing. The gifts we give are almost always things we've made. Mostly, we're trying to raise our kids with a better perspective on the meaning of Christmas - loving others in anticipation of the return of the King.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#34]
My inlaws always gifte me some shirt or hoodie that I would never wear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
It was easy for us.

Every year we would each spend hundred of dollars a piece on random shit. It was mostly things on wishlists so it wasn't hard to get people what they wanted, but it got expensive. Although my Sister would sometimes come out of left field with odd things. Like one year I got a original BSG steel lunch box. Eventually it was decided that Christmas would be about the children and the adults would buy gifts for the kids alone.

Now I enjoy the Christmas season a lot more. If there is something I want, I'll usually but it myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't have that issue - I haven't gotten a Christmas present in over 20 years. Given many, but if I want something, I buy it for myself. My Christmas present to me this year. After all, a healthy wife is still the greatest gift I could get. I'm taking her out to dinner soon someplace really expensive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I tell everyone that if I wanted something, I would have already bought it. I did tell folks that I wanted a Barrett 50cal, which I am saving up for. My wife and mother bought me a goat guns barrett 50. I got a good chuckle out of that one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Shit, I’ll take whatever you wanna give me. I’m not picky.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Lol,  yea when my mom was still alive I tried to tell her to not waste her time and money buying me gifts.  I don’t want or need anything.

Of course she wouldn’t listen,   I’d still get a stocking with small child games, like stuff with little balls you had to get in all the holes to win.  I’d get a few clothes much of which I’d never wear.  Some of it was nice, too nice though, I have a cashmere sweater I wore once.

I finally compromised, if you have to buy me something, a flannel shirt and maybe some socks.  Stuff that you know I will use.  (That sure beats the white porcelain nativity set that as a bachelor I’d never set up, or the 15 pound crystal wine bucket/chiller)
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
From Aldi?  
View Quote

I was disappointed to find out Aldi’s was already out of stollen on the 15th.

They used to have extra around after New Years.  I guess they readjusted the order amount.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I kind get her point though.   I was one of 7 kids.   5 girls and my brother and I.  My mom would go crazy on the effort she put in to my sister’s gifts, birthstone, favorite colors, art in shops they looked at on vacation, my mom would sneakily go back and buy that stuff.  Me, even though I didn’t want anything I’d get some oddball item out of the sportsman’s guide catalog.  Now she made sure everyone had the same mount of gifts to open which was always too much but the difference in mission accomplished was huge.  I already mentioned the white porcelain nativity set.....that was my big gift one year as a thirty year old that had no kids and didn’t decorate my apartment for christmas as I wasn’t there for christmas.  I took that week off and went home.  Of course I said it was nice and said thank you.  And when I moved I donated it to the village christmas drive.  

One can tell if the thought was there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I ask for and get Duke Cannon soap, mouthwash by the case, and socks.

I hate materialism, especially for myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]
If I have gifts, I give.  The recipient may not hear a word from me during Xmas.  

Sharing and caring is 24/365 and should not be limited to a "season" of the year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My Mom does that and if you don’t get her anything, you will hear about through relatives three months later about what a cheep skate you are.

View Quote

Ha!   You can get in trouble listening too.  

One year my mom said the only thing she wanted was a new vacuum as hers was dying and not doing the job.  She got it but could tell she wasn’t thrilled.  Hey I was 17.   A couple years later she said she wanted a bread machine for Christmas.  Ok, great.  I buy it, wrap it up. The day after Christmas she asks if I saved the receipt, she wanted one that did a different shaped loaf.   I gave her the receipt and she returned it but didn’t get the other one.  . Ok, I struck out again.    After that I stuck with restaurant gift certificates and gift baskets of gourmet foods.   Art supplies were also good.  She said she wanted to pick up oil painting again.  

If you don’t tell me or talk about it, then I am floundering.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's so sweet. I'm happy for you. I actually don't mind (much!)  that my husband isn't a gift giver if he would just be happy that I care enough to give him a thoughtful gift. But it makes him feel guilty so instead of opening a really cool welder he would rather do without it because he won't buy it for himself and he feels guilty that I got it for him. All he needs to do is smile and say thank you, this is exactly what I needed/wanted. Anyway I don't want to pick on him. He's nearly perfect in every other way!

@3-guns Merry Christmas, bless you this Christmas
View Quote

you’re sensible enough to realize that last bit but I get it.

It’s much like cooking a special dish for someone.  Your heart and pride are exposed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Every year I tell my sister not to buy me a gift card and just give me the cash equivalent instead.

Every year she buys me a gift card, and it's usually one that she has to pay a fee to activate.

It's like cash that's less useful.
View Quote
What do you get her?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah - I just got a box of Omaha steaks.
Umm...we are cattle ranchers. I'm not going to darken my freezer door with that garbage.
View Quote

Someone sent me that crap two years ago.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top