Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<--- I literally just posted a pic of me in a condor shell and a Shemahg.

DO YOU EVEN OPERATE BRO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

DO YOU EVEN OPERATE BRO.

I laughed at you, your neck scarf thingy and your shitty jacket.

Thanks for the laugh bro.

ZA
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ZA
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

DO YOU EVEN OPERATE BRO.

ZA

Anytime!!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
We need a "Retro" thread about drive on rags for us old guys
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I man up and let dust and birds and rocks and stray seeds get in my face. I don't shoot wearing gloves or have any camo or black clothing.

Least-tacticool guy on the site.

View Quote

careful w/ that stray seed to the face, bro.  you can catch da AIDS like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wear mine in the winter because it's warm, and since it's legit (got it from a dead hajji) it pisses off all the Arabic immigrants when I go downtown.
View Quote

Better than having them walk up to you and start yammering at you in dirka dirka until you go "Dafuq???"
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
All of you guys saying you wear them in the winter -

Serious question.
Aren't they cotton?

I'm from the "cotton kills" school of cold weather gear, unless it's an outer windstop layer.
Seems like it would be a terrible choice for having against major arteries in the winter.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was just thinking about getting a white one to wear when I'm fishing.   I could get burned fishing under a full moon in a thunder storm.  
View Quote

Get a frog togg wet towel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Serious question.

Aren't they cotton?

I'm from the "cotton kills" school of cold weather gear, unless it's an outer windstop layer.

Seems like it would be a terrible choice for having against major arteries in the winter.

View Quote
I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

I took a three day night rifle class in the dead of winter and it kept me nice and toasty.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

I took a three day night rifle class in the dead of winter and it kept me nice and toasty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question.
Aren't they cotton?

I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

Tell me it was somewhere colder than AL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Serious question.

Aren't they cotton?

View Quote
Real ones are cotton/wool blend, and were developed in a region where cotton doesn't kill.

Which, like my neck of the woods, it's not as big of an issue most of the year.

Also, they are so big, that when you wrap them around they warm up quickly and insulate well (adds up to a lot of layers and TONS of airspace). So unless they got 100% saturated it's a non-issue, especially in mild climates like where I live.  Where I live, if it's cold (cold in Seattle being 25-30 degree's) it's not going to be wet.  If it's wet, it's not going to be that cold.  

In fact, mine is warm enough that keeping it wrapped tight, I'll stay warm in temperatures and a light jacket, that without it I'd have to wear a heavy jacket and beanie.

Also, when you're wearing them for comfort, not survival...  you can just take it off.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In the old days we took a od green Cravat out of the first aid kits and wore them in similar ways. we called them "Go to hell rags"

you kids call our M-16's Muskets
View Quote
We called em "drive on rags"

Us old timers had to use a brown hand towel around our necks and a cravat to be tacitool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm not military, but I've spent a lot of time in the ME. I bought my first shemagh out in the desert in Saudi before I was ever into firearms or spent time browsing photos of special forces stuff.

I still wear mine when I'm out hunting. Sometimes I use them as a gun sock also.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Real ones are cotton/wool blend, and were developed in a region where cotton doesn't kill.

Also, they are so big, that when you wrap them around they warm up quickly and insulate well (adds up to a lot of layers and TONS of airspace). So unless they got 100% saturated it's a non-issue, especially in mild climates like where I live.  Where I live, if it's cold (cold in Seattle being 25-30 degree's) it's not going to be wet.  If it's wet, it's not going to be that cold.  

In fact, mine is warm enough that keeping it wrapped tight, I'll stay warm in temperatures and a light jacket, that without it I'd have to wear a heavy jacket and beanie.

Also, when you're wearing them for comfort, not survival...  you can just take it off.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question.
Aren't they cotton?

Makes sense I guess.  Just seemed counter intuitive to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

Twas the dead of winter............... a frigid 47 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple I was issued  in the British Army I can't bring myself to throw out.

I probably will never wear them again as I don't play dress up to go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question.

Aren't they cotton?

I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

It was north AL.

30something degrees.

Thats fuggin cold.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they are cotton.

*shrug*

It works great.

30 degrees
ROFL

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buff headgear work for me.
View Quote

I buy the merino wool ones for the winter around my parts. When it's really nasty out, I use one of their windstopper variants.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
30something degrees.

Thats fuggin cold.

View Quote

Ostfront shit right there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

30 degrees

ROFL

View Quote

We bottomed out at 15 below before wind chill this year and other parts of the state hit -35.
And then you got those guys in the Dakotas and Minnesota that were negative 40 or worse.

That's fuggin' cold.

Too cold to go shoot, or go outside at all for that matter so yes, between that and the fact that the women down there can wear short shorts 315 days a year, you win.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We bottomed out at 15 below before wind chill this year and other parts of the state hit -35.

And then you got those guys in the Dakotas and Minnesota that were negative 40 or worse.

That's fuggin' cold.

Too cold to go shoot, or go outside at all for that matter so yes, between that and the fact that the women down there can wear short shorts 315 days a year, you win.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

30 degrees

ROFL

That's fuggin' cold.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#23]
A square of cloth has been a companion of the outdoorsman for hundreds of years over several continents. It's certainly not exclusive to the ME.

A square of fabric of about 1 yard is a very handy thing to have in the woods or desert. Serves as a scarf, head covering, towel, bandage, sling, hot pad. wet it for a cooling neck wrap, gather wild edibles, etc. The list is long.

Silk was preferred by the longhunters on this continent circa late 1700s. Wearing a shemagh to the range is a little poserish. Wearing one (or a silk kerchief or similar) in the bush or on a campout is just utilitarian.

http://www.thequartermastergeneral.com/?category=18_cloth&morepics=true&id=1151
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Just another hipster co-opted thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They have their uses. Good for keeping rotor wash out of your face.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/324565_10100350186615189_368440814_o.jpg
View Quote

I tried that once.

It was fucking awesome.

My neck didn't get sand blasted for once when getting on the CH-47.

I was like "I'm totally wearing this every time I deal with helicopters, fuckin eh!"

Then I got off the helicopter.

If got sucked off my kit and the last time I saw it it was 100+ feet in the air being taken by the wind like a kite into the southern korengal.

Bye smegahgahghasdhgahs.  You are missed.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#26]
They're called Palestine Scarves here, and only Communists wear them.

It's hilarious that it's considered "tactical" by some.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this may be the first of these threads - in as many as we have had - where the old do-rag, "drive-on" rag has come up.

When I first came in the Army, all the old salty farts swore by them, but the big Army uniformity drone CSM types hated them.  

As mentioned, the utility and practicality is well established in western tradition - the Boy Scout neckerchief didn't exactly come out of nowhere, and every cliche American western has the Cavalry troopers with their yellow bandanas.

What I can't figure out is the people who act like the idea was invented somewhere between Iraq and Afghanistan.  

I can understand acquiring these things in the filed, when the military fails to provide you with such a useful piece of gear.  What I can't fathom is the people who buy them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#28]
This site used to sell old school scarfs:

Now they are discontinued... guess they couldn't compete with the new tacticool trend.

I wonder if they had marketed them as "American Shemaghs" instead of "scarfs" if they would have had more success?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Got no use for a shemaganoggin but tell me more about these fire resistant baclavas........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got one I'll sell you for $87.
I think it's made by KAC.
Tier 1, bro.

EDIT- When I was in the sand, they were a big no no. Apparently if they caught on fire you were fooked. So we were issued fire resistant baclavas, which absolutely nobody wore.

Got no use for a shemaganoggin but tell me more about these fire resistant baclavas........

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

In Russian, they are often called simply "Arafatskis"
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In the old days we took a od green Cravat out of the first aid kits and wore them in similar ways. we called them "Go to hell rags"

View Quote
Wish I could find some of those old cravats, I'd wear those in the summer.

Being tier 100^100 and only served during the 'Cold War', I'm not cool enough to "rock" a shemahg.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've got one in my footlocker. I've washed it several times but I can't get the bloodstain out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one, but have never worn it. I don't think I ever will.

I've got one in my footlocker. I've washed it several times but I can't get the bloodstain out.
Try topical hydrogen peroxide.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Being tier 100^100 and only served during the 'Cold War', I'm not cool enough to "rock" a shemahg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're all over on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bandage-muslin-compressed
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Even if you spent the last ten years in the sandbox in SF or other infantry where it was needed, If you wear one at the mall, if you wear one indoors, if you wear one at the shooting range, you are a retard.

Everybody is laughing at you.

No different than this guy:

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

There's one goofball in my office that will tie his into a complete facemask at his desk before he leaves for the day if it is exceptionally cold outside.

One day I swear he's going to get shot by the guards if he startles them.

Kharn
View Quote

Ask him if he has the balls to wear this.

From 'The Shining' collection.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey, look at what I found at Joann's fabrics:

http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-unbleachd-muslin-36in/7791601.html#start=1

Why anyone would pay 10x this, and claim it is for practicality, not fashion, is beyond me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS!!

A case of 24 cravats is cheaper than a single shemahg.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
THANKS!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS!!

Tacticool isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I have Balaclavas I use to keep my head and neck warm in the fall and winter when hunting.  No need for a ME replacement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#41]
ARFCOM knitting circle is all hopped up on Earl Grey again...  Enjoy your Saturday Ladies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Winter time? Neck Gator

Summer time/sand/whatever.. Cravat bandage is the best choice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got one I'll sell you for $87.
I think it's made by KAC.
Tier 1, bro.

EDIT- When I was in the sand, they were a big no no. Apparently if they caught on fire you were fooked. So we were issued fire resistant baclavas, which absolutely nobody wore.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/4039182/BAKLAVA_full.jpeg

http://www.schampa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BLCLV008-00-2.jpg

Baccala?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.ushist.com/img/mens/images/qm-1714_bandana_wild-rag_neck-scarf_l.jpg

Now they are discontinued... guess they couldn't compete with the new tacticool trend.

I wonder if they had marketed them as "American Shemaghs" instead of "scarfs" if they would have had more success?
View Quote

We call those wild rags and all the cowboys wear them in the winter out here. All of them I've seen were made of silk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of the modern copies of scarves and kerchiefs are made too small. The ones I posted are 35" square and that'd be the minimum of usefulness. From what I've read, 3.5' tended to be more common.

They tended to be silk or if that was unaffordable or unavailable, linen. Cotton was expensive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey, look at what I found at Joann's fabrics:

http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-unbleachd-muslin-36in/7791601.html#start=1

Why anyone would pay 10x this, and claim it is for practicality, not fashion, is beyond me.
View Quote

The muslin is quite a bit tighter weave. Not exactly the same.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Most of the modern copies of scarves and kerchiefs are made too small. The ones I posted are 35" square and that'd be the minimum of usefulness. From what I've read, 3.5' tended to be more common. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the modern copies of scarves and kerchiefs are made too small. The ones I posted are 35" square and that'd be the minimum of usefulness. From what I've read, 3.5' tended to be more common. .

That's why I really like that 1 square yard of muslin from Joann's.  Seems almost perfect.

I'm half-tempted to check them out in a store and see how sheer they are.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
they've become so ridiculously poser,   it could be a proven fact that wearing one doubles your chance to survive, and I'll go without it.      

I think unless you were actually IN delta force or the seals, the Middle East, or were, and are actually either IN a sandstorm, or IN Iraq or Afghanistan at that very moment,  it's poser.

I only saw one person wearing one at a gun range that wasn't poser. It was a ridiculously hot chick shooting a 10/22 while wearing a shemeagh  but it matched her outfit and I bet a hundred dollars if I asked her where she got her tactical shemaagh, she'd have said "this old scarf thing?"
View Quote

Pics?

Was she with her boyfriend?  And if she was, why did you not piss on him to establish dominance before fucking her over the benchrest?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's why I really like that 1 square yard of muslin from Joann's.  Seems almost perfect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There're all kinds of unbleached muslin. From what looks like window shears to what you could make jeans out of and looks home spun.

It's used as a cheap imitation of linen among the historical reenactor types. Makes shirts, breeches, rifle patches, etc.

The link I posted earlier has silk ones. Silk has some properties which make the kerchief more useful for a lot of things, also warmer for winter use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

The entire reason my team used them was to present a different silhouette at night when we looking for bad guys in 2003. There's always going to be the haters that weren't allowed to leave the wire. That's ok though, I'd be pissed too if I had to stay in TOC.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top