Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've not found anyone willing to do a practical application test with live fire.  Even with a lowly 20ga Shockwave and #3 Buck.
View Quote

I don’t want to get hit in the face with human shit, nor can I find anyone who wants to be hit in the face with it.

I’m not going to rely on it to stop a home invasion when I have vastly better choices.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
#clickbait
#neverbeendonebefore
#newideas
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A shotgun with 00 Buck will absolutely fuck up anyone inside a home, provided you do your part.
AR vs 00 is stupid.  Both will kill, but a shotgun will do it quicker.
This argument is stupid.  I'd rather be shot 5 times by a 9mm than 1 round of 00 buck.
View Quote

How many people have you shot with either an AR or a shotgun?

5.56 kills people really goddamn fast.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've not found anyone willing to do a practical application test with live fire.  Even with a lowly 20ga Shockwave and #3 Buck.
View Quote

I don’t want to get shot with a .32ACP.

It sucks.

This is the stupidest argument ever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don’t want to get hit in the face with human shit, nor can I find anyone who wants to be hit in the face with it.

I’m not going to rely on it to stop a home invasion when I have vastly better choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know dude, a face full of shit could be a real pivotal moment
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did see a snippet of a documentary once.  It had these two girls, that were sharing a cup.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s different, it’s not better or worse.  Some can handle it some can’t.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI.

Shotguns don't suck. People who say shotguns suck are either stupid or trolling. They offer a lot of versatility, different types of ammo. Awesome first round effectiveness.

Rifles are better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It sucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks.

No argument.  I have several firearms.  If a 20 ga with buckshot is the one I happen to grab, I'm confident in it's threat stopping abilities. If I have to ventilate a thug or two, I don't give a flying fuck what GD thinks of my gun used.

The same flawed "logic" that says shotguns are stupid for defense can also be used to say that 110gr 300blk is better than 5.56, and 6.5 Grendel is even better, and 450 Bushmaster is better yet.  Or, unless you are wielding a .308, you are going to get skinned and ass raped with your own gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
People really over-think this stuff. If you have concerns of your home being invaded by a large group of men wearing any kind of armor. Guys who are going to stand and engage with you and continue to engage after your shotgun round(s) hit their soft armor.... Your first steps should be build a 12' concrete fence around your house along with a reinforced steel gate. Bars on your windows/door. And full surveillance video of the compound.

A shotgun is just fine for home defense.

Quoted:

I tried to think of SBR negatives. I really can't. With the right ammo, they just rule for home defense. Mag changes are easy, ammo is lightweight, accessories aren't nearly an issue. They're shorter, more usable in tight quarters, and they are sexy. I really do love the shotgun, because they are so capable, and I wouldn't feel outgunned if it was all I could have. Any M4 platform is just leagues better at almost everything, except maybe breaching. If you have the budget, and are willing to train, the AR is much much better for everything. It just is.

View Quote

They are a lot more expensive. If you are going SBR + suppressor you need a tax stamp. If you have to shoot someone its going to sit in an evidence locker for awhile. Etc.

You can literally pick up a pump action shotgun with a 18" barrel, toss on a light and your ready to go for under $300. Furthermore a shotgun isn't really much longer then an AR with a 16" barrel and flash hider or a SBR at 11.5 with a suppressor.

Obviously if your into AR's and don't utilize a gun safe its fine. But if you want to toss something next to the bed for under $300 that you don't care gets stolen or it sits in an evidence locker the shotgun is the way to go.

Also assuming you don't carry a gun in your home its cheap to toss a few of shotguns in various rooms of the house.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Pair of pumps
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep.  Happens a fair amount.  And running a shotgun one handed is a bitch.  Totally possible, assuming you have trained on it.  Everyone trains to run all their firearms one handed- right? Right??

Well you should.  Get some training people...you can run pistols, rifles, and shotguns all one handed if needed, clear malfunctions, reload, etc.  But I guarantee if a gunfight is the first time you do it you will wish you had training.  
View Quote

Train for what you suck at. I suck at off side shooting so I work on it.

One hand shooting should be something we all work on
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a new M4 a few weeks ago and got it all tricked out and 922r compliant. It’s been an absolute blast to shoot steel with 00 and slugs and I love the gun.

Then I pulled out the trusty suppressed mk18 and did similar drills on 2 steel plates and yeah… about 2x as fast.

One could argue the effectiveness of m193 out of a mk18 vs 00 bucks but at my home distances where 15yards is the max distance, the speed and versatility offered by my mk18 makes it the clear choice.

Now if someone is living in California and can’t have an AR but can have a M4 ghost loaded to 5+1+1 with 00 buck, they might have a legitimate use case for a shotgun over a CA legal AR.

But anyone who is proficient with both in a HD scenario should do the same drills with both guns and I’d bet the carbine comes out on top in speed and accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder how many home invasions in the past 20 years were unsuccessfully repelled by a shotgun wielding homeowner that ran out of rounds,failed to penetrate body armor,was overwhelmed by a squad of attackers.

View Quote

If we’re going off just statistics alone, you’d be fine with a 6 shot revolver as most shootings never get past 3-4 rounds on average. That doesn’t mean I’m going to limit myself based on real world stats though. If I can carry more for minimal extra cost in weight, that’s a cheap advantage for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry. 12 gauge with 00 Federal Flight Control low recoil is a superior round to any rifle or handgun you’d use for home defense. Sure a PS90 with 50 rounds is nice for round count … 7 rounds in my shotgun with 9 pellet 00 buck is actually 63 rounds at a bad guy with only 7 trigger pulls.

If you are a die hard AR guy for home defense, god bless you … I have both and I’d reach for a shotgun 9 times out of 10.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AR’s are better, but a shotgun will fuck your day up in a big way. People argue 5.56/7.62x39 and 9mm/45ACP stopping power. A shotgun laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu6XgtS02w
View Quote

Just about anything at that range laughs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They don't suck for home defense.  Rifles are just better.
View Quote

Likely the most accurate post that will be made in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
A loaded Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser 12 ga with a 50 round bandolier of 00Buck within reach from my pillow. Much easier for middle of the night break-in defense. Goes thru drywall,hollow doors and has nice spread & knockdown. My mobility and vision/aim isn’t what it used to be but I feel like this will work.

for close quarters.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQEEFwsCIg

I disagree..shotguns are one of the most versatile weapons out there…I’ll never be without one
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I vastly prefer an AR, but a shotgun is a formidable tool as well.

A 12 gauge w/00 Buck is devastating on humans. I've seen it a few times. A good friend of mine was one of them, and it stopped the threat immediately by blowing the guys heart out of his back, along with the wad.

My old 18" 870 is loaded with Federal FC 00 Buck. Considering the distances in a HD situation, I would not hesitate to grab it.

ETA... Mac is a tool. Why people give these guys clicks is beyond me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The real down side is for pumps having to use two hands. Its real advantageous to be able to use one hand to operate your weapon if you have to.  

Plenty of shootings end up with people shot through the wrist arm and hand. Because thats whats in front of you. having  to use both if someone is shooting back is not ideal. I still have an hd pump shotgun and wouldn't hesitate to use it but a high capacity semi auto is better no matter what platform.

View Quote

Very solid point. I absolutely love shotguns but running one one handed would not be the best of times compared to a short ar15. Either would do the job though, the rifle just has more versatility if you need it
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A semi auto handgun would make much more sense.  I don't think the average person will even remember how to use a shotgun in a SD situation.
View Quote

Seriously?
I ran fire and rescue for over 25yrs.  3/4 of the homes we went to had a shotgun standing right by the front door.  Every barn had at least one shot gun in the milk house for protecting the cows from anything that might come along.
Granted this is rural Wisconsin, however the in town homes were the same way.  
Next time you go shooting with a first timer let them shoot your favorite semi auto hand gun and compare that to what they hit with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, shit. I got a 590A1 Retrograde last year, and this year my wife told me to buy a pump shotgun. I think that was my hint to buy a Benelli M2.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A loaded Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser 12 ga with a 50 round bandolier of 00Buck within reach from my pillow. Much easier for middle of the night break-in defense. Goes thru drywall,hollow doors and has nice spread & knockdown. My mobility and vision/aim isn’t what it used to be but I feel like this will work.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-tactical-jic-51340/for close quarters.
View Quote

2 things in your post are concerning. #1, a 50 round bandoleer weighs what, 3 pounds? I hope it isn't one of those bandoleers that hang off the gun doubling as a sling. #2 "I feel like this will work"??? Respectfully, you should KNOW. Have you shot it much?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A loaded Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser 12 ga with a 50 round bandolier of 00Buck within reach from my pillow. Much easier for middle of the night break-in defense. Goes thru drywall,hollow doors and has nice spread & knockdown. My mobility and vision/aim isn’t what it used to be but I feel like this will work for close quarters.
View Quote

shotguns can be used from elevated positions against larger crowds as an improvised claymore if needed.

Another advantage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was going to say boots …
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281590/DFDE9755-EA5D-4C4F-8847-2DB87E8E58D4_jpe-2274602.JPG

I call this picture, “The Evolution of Someone Who Actually Shoots and Trains” ????

Nice.  So the evolution is from shotgun, to AR, to AR, to ...pony?

I was going to say boots …

Yep. Exactly. If the gunfight looks iffy, I throw on those boots, jump on my grandsons rocking horse, and rock off into the sunset.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

shotguns can be used from elevated positions against larger crowds as an improvised claymore if needed.

Another advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A loaded Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser 12 ga with a 50 round bandolier of 00Buck within reach from my pillow. Much easier for middle of the night break-in defense. Goes thru drywall,hollow doors and has nice spread & knockdown. My mobility and vision/aim isn't what it used to be but I feel like this will work for close quarters.

Another advantage.
  Ahh! The old Batshit Scenario.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Can someone point me to a case where a shotgun failed to defend the home and the homeowner died? Im not giving it clicks unless someone post that he has case studies and intelligent analysis of multiple home defense failures and is not a moron just spouting bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Meh, the more I listen to MAC, the less respect I have for his opinions.

He's turning into another nut-n-fancy jibber jabber factory.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#31]
The racking sound is terrifying to burglars.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can someone point me to a case where a shotgun failed to defend the home and the homeowner died? Im not giving it clicks unless someone post that he has case studies and intelligent analysis of multiple home defense failures and is not a moron just spouting bullshit.
View Quote

Your question is pointless. Of course someone in a gunfight, with a shotgun, failed and died.

As did someone in a gunfight with an AR, handgun, tomahawk, spear....

I have a tractor and a Chevy truck. Both will get me to town. One is better and more efficient. It's that simple.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I'm pretty sure all you have to do is rack your Daddy's Model 12 and the bad guys will go away.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen the reaction in other people in a tense situation when a screen door shut and the latch closing sounded like a pump shotgun being racked - it definately got everyone's attention.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread is going positively Gothic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't decide.  I'm just going to buy one of these.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why did this take so long?

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Rack the slide" in 3rd post.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've seen the reaction in other people in a tense situation when a screen door shut and the latch closing sounded like a pump shotgun being racked - it definately got everyone's attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whenever someone opens a Zippo I eat dirt.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A shotgun with 00 Buck will absolutely fuck up anyone inside a home, provided you do your part.
AR vs 00 is stupid.  Both will kill, but a shotgun will do it quicker.
This argument is stupid.  I'd rather be shot 5 times by a 9mm than 1 round of 00 buck.

A shotgun is much better
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Pretty sure nine .33 caliber holes in an intruders chest is going to absolutely fuck his world up. Not to mention rapid follow up shots because has operated semi autos are a thing lol

ETA id still grab a pistol or an AR first because i shoot them 100x more and that is my go to. Plus both sbrs are supressed which is a huge plus imho.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Another advantage.
View Quote

Who the fuck is talking about just shooting into random crowds of people?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meat-from-bone>wounding round
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A shotgun is much better
View Quote

I’ve put dicks in with dirt with a far amount of rapidity with 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
People really over-think this stuff. If you have concerns of your home being invaded by a large group of men wearing any kind of armor. Guys who are going to stand and engage with you and continue to engage after your shotgun round(s) hit their soft armor.... Your first steps should be build a 12' concrete fence around your house along with a reinforced steel gate. Bars on your windows/door. And full surveillance video of the compound.

A shotgun is just fine for home defense.

They are a lot more expensive. If you are going SBR + suppressor you need a tax stamp. If you have to shoot someone its going to sit in an evidence locker for awhile. Etc.

You can literally pick up a pump action shotgun with a 18" barrel, toss on a light and your ready to go for under $300. Furthermore a shotgun isn't really much longer then an AR with a 16" barrel and flash hider or a SBR at 11.5 with a suppressor.

Obviously if your into AR's and don't utilize a gun safe its fine. But if you want to toss something next to the bed for under $300 that you don't care gets stolen or it sits in an evidence locker the shotgun is the way to go.

Also assuming you don't carry a gun in your home its cheap to toss a few of shotguns in various rooms of the house.
View Quote

I don't think anyone thinks about the taken away for evidence part. They are not going to baby it, it's going to get thrown in a rack or on a shelf and be subject to the environment of that room.

And I hope all the professional training everyone got has prepared them to stay calm and focused so they don't have random shots going through walls.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Well it's pretty obvious who has never seen a real world,  close contact shotgun wound.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I love mine. It’s my go to for house and yard usage here in bfe.  Got a sbr right next to it.

Attachment Attached File

Added a light for Bette night usage

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Shotguns are great when getting attacked by a flock of ducks or a covey of quail
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another advantage.

We have recently seen reasons why. It’s called a riot gun for a reason.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top