Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be hard for a company to profit from it.

Very few normies would buy one, very few of us would buy more than one.

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bet it cant be done for under $1k.
View Quote

I'll bet it can't be done for less than a Les Baer or Nighthawk Custom 1911 would cost.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think as with some other World War era stuff there would be an increase demand from younger groups thanks to video games and movies. Though I don’t know I would like to have one as it’s a historic and iconic piece never seen one I would remotely afford except maybe some of the rimfire copies.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lol

It's okay to not know what you are talking about.  You don't have to post and let everyone know.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europeans don't know shit about handguns ...

lol

It's okay to not know what you are talking about.  You don't have to post and let everyone know.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll bet it can't be done for less than a Les Baer or Nighthawk Custom 1911 would cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m really interested in why you believe that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like Lugers, but one of the biggest drawbacks to the design is it doesn't lend to a red dot sight.  That alone is a pretty major downside which no one would have probably mentioned 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As already mentioned, it would be too expensive to manufacture. Guns in the Luger’s day, and the Luger in particular, needed a lot of really precise machine work done by hand. Remember, the Wehrmacht didn’t replace the Luger because it was a bad gun or they didn’t like it, it was just too expensive in comparison to other short recoil automatic pistols.

3D printing could and probably will eventually make reproductions of guns like that more economically viable.
View Quote

I don't want to be anywhere near someone touching off a cartridge in a 3D printed gun.  MIM has a bad enough rep.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Polymer with a light rail and RMR mount and I'm in!
View Quote

And integral suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be all over a $1000 or less modern Luger I could go shoot without worry. Can't justify and couldn't really enjoy an original but always wanted one
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Would a Broomhandle Mauser be ridiculous to make as well?
Nothing against the Luger... but for stupid fanboi appeal...
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Broomhandle Mauser please.
View Quote
Do a traditional and a Tactical and I'm in.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Lugers are still pretty affordable, especially if you only want a shooter. They made millions of the damn things.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As already mentioned, it would be too expensive to manufacture. Guns in the Luger’s day, and the Luger in particular, needed a lot of really precise machine work done by hand. Remember, the Wehrmacht didn’t replace the Luger because it was a bad gun or they didn’t like it, it was just too expensive in comparison to other short recoil automatic pistols.

3D printing could and probably will eventually make reproductions of guns like that more economically viable.
View Quote

This.

Winchester didn't stop making the 63 because it was obsolete.  They quit making it because it was too expensive to manufacture.  The Smith and Wesson 41 is going the same way.  Skilled labor is expensive, and if you look at the products made in the 50's and 60's, it is readily apparent that we now have parts assemblers, and not craftsmen, making guns.

If you want a rough mass produced piece of shit that functions, with today's technology it could happen.  If you want a "refined" version, then you're going to have to have a skilled craftsman make it, and it's going to cost A LOT.

People don't want nice guns, or complex guns anymore.  They want cheap, matte finished, mass produced things that go bang.

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you simply must needs have one, and have the coin, I'm sure you can have someplace with the requisite CNC 3d printing and machining capability run you off one. More likely than awaiting a production run. You will soon discover how much it sucks as a usable handgun design, but it's your money.
View Quote

Nonsense. They’re striker fired 9mm pistols with a thumb safety. They’re outmoded (steel frame, simgle stack) and can’t compete on cost in today’s market, but they’re plenty usable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lugers are still pretty affordable, especially if you only want a shooter. They made millions of the damn things.
View Quote

There is a fairly accurate guess in Simson Lugers.

(Military as well as commercial; but not including reworks)
-DWM- approx. 818,000 (Jan Still-- 743,000 military; 74,955 commercial)
- Erfurt- approx. 519,000 (Jan Still-- no commercial made; just P.08's and LP.08's
- Simson- approx. 11,900 (Authors-- all military and police; no commercial made)
- Krieghoff- approx. 13,825 (Randall Gibson-- 12,200 Luftwaffe; 1,625 commercial)
- Mauser- approx. 943,500 (Jan Still- 900,000 military; 43,000 Commercial Banner)
- Swiss- 47,701 (Datig- from 1918 to 1947; 45,784 military and 1,917 commercial)

So that's around 2,350,000 give or take.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I didn't mean to imply that there haven't been some nifty handguns designed and produced in Europe, but the PO8 Luger wasn't one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europeans don't know shit about handguns ...

lol

I didn't mean to imply that there haven't been some nifty handguns designed and produced in Europe, but the PO8 Luger wasn't one.

You’re trying to step out of the hole that you dug, but you’re making it deeper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't want to be anywhere near someone touching off a cartridge in a 3D printed gun.  MIM has a bad enough rep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said “eventually” metal 3D printing is absolutely the future of industrial manufacturing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With SA bringing back the hi-power, would there be a market for the Luger in a similar guise, or is it obsolete and irrelevant? I would guess it would be complex and expensive to manufacture, but the SA P35 costs less than I expected. What do you guys think?

I have never fired one, but always liked the looks. I don't even know anyone who owns one.
View Quote

Until the late '70s, Mauser made one that was imported by Interarms.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah broomhandle first. I don't want the company getting cancelled for Nazi lugers and we miss out on more c96 pistols.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really like Lugers, but one of the biggest drawbacks to the design is it doesn't lend to a red dot sight.  That alone is a pretty major downside which no one would have probably mentioned 10 years ago.
View Quote

Grip mounted cantilever or barrel mounted.

No, the greatest drawback is the P-08's inability to function when dirty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I would bet a luger couldn't even made today that matches a WW1 German. Probably be 10k, just guessing.

I can tell who is posting and has never held one in their hand and taken one apart. The amount of craftsmanship involved in one is unreal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

- Erfurt- approx. 519,000 (Jan Still-- no commercial made; just P.08's and LP.08's
- Simson- approx. 11,900 (Authors-- all military and police; no commercial made)
- Krieghoff- approx. 13,825 (Randall Gibson-- 12,200 Luftwaffe; 1,625 commercial)
- Mauser- approx. 943,500 (Jan Still- 900,000 military; 43,000 Commercial Banner)
- Swiss- 47,701 (Datig- from 1918 to 1947; 45,784 military and 1,917 commercial)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd feel like a comfortable guess at 1/4 of that number, maybe even more, would be classified as "lost"; destroyed, buried, disappeared, etc between all of the wars and whatnot that they were involved in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, there were only 4 sets of machines, prints, tooling, and gauges extant in Europe for Luger production. Swiss, DWM, Erfurt, and Krieghoff. Mauser acquired the tooling from either DWM or Erfurt, and the Krieghoff factory had the most modern up to date set up.

I'd consider a reproduction at the right price point.

Though I collect German martial arms, I never delved into pistols, especially Lugers. Pockets not deep enough, and lots of sharks in the water. Have seen a few high end big $ fakes exposed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
It'd be absurdly expensive to make, cost more than buying an old one, and they are just not good guns by modern standards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. Make any and all of the 9x19 guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Lugerman has a web site, and they make some truly beautiful stuff.  IIRC, base cost is around $4900, with a classic model (without internal modernizations) for around $9500.  Unless I had far more "mad money" to spend on other guns, I can think of many more firearms I would buy with that kind of money.  Especially be use the Luger would mostly be a range toy.

But, then again, if I won the lottery and had more money than good sense, why not order a few.  They even had a 10mm model...
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lugerman has a web site, and they make some truly beautiful stuff.  IIRC, base cost is around $4900, with a classic model (without internal modernizations) for around $9500.  Unless I had far more "mad money" to spend on other guns, I can think of many more firearms I would buy with that kind of money.  Especially be use the Luger would mostly be a range toy.

But, then again, if I won the lottery and had more money than good sense, why not order a few.  They even had a 10mm model...
View Quote
Yeah it would be tough for me too and I owned a Luger for about 10 years that I loved to shoot. I think i'd rather pickup a Sig XFive Tactical if I was going to blow several grand on something nice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would bet a luger couldn't even made today that matches a WW1 German. Probably be 10k, just guessing.

I can tell who is posting and has never held one in their hand and taken one apart. The amount of craftsmanship involved in one is unreal.
View Quote

Stoeger did it.  It wasn't a 10k gun either.  I have one and it actually works.  I have never tried to interchange anything with any of my real Lugers and I doubt it would.  You can't hardly interchange side plates from 2 org. Lugers.

Lugers were mass produced, so I think it could be done.  A C96 on the other hand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Stoeger did it.  It wasn't a 10k gun either.  I have one and it actually works.  I have never tried to interchange anything with any of my real Lugers and I doubt it would.  You can't hardly interchange side plates from 2 org. Lugers.

Lugers were mass produced.  A C96 on the other hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn’t like every part on a 96 fitted to slide into a spot that holds another piece in place and like completely hand fitted?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
With a few tweaks

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, Borchardt spent most of his formative years learning machining and design in the United States (at Singer, Winchester, Sharps, etc.), so in a way the US is partially responsible for the bizarre Rube Goldberg device that is the Luger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
The machining and fitting on them is really good.

1937 Mauser

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Isn’t like every part on a 96 fitted to slide into a spot that holds another piece in place and like completely hand fitted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, 1 screw and that is for the grips.  Cleaning is not fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Broom handle that takes Colt 9mm subgun mags please.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Make that $2K for a base model.

Way too many machining operations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make that $2K for a base model.

Way too many machining operations.

Yup, there are a few classic designs I don't see ever returning to production because of machining complexity alone

Lugers and swiss schmidt rubins are probably at the top of that list.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That comes with a flush one to load from stripper clips still shipped in a shoulder stock holster with cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stoeger made a stainless one in the 90's. It didn't last.
View Quote

Came to post this.  I made attempts to order one.  This was in the days before the internet.  I was told "can't find one" every single time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
There was a company making them in the 80's and they didn't sell well then. I just don't see them making it today large scale. Same with the High Power and I had one and liked it. It looks archaic now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd buy a new manufacturer Luger and I have a lot of Lugers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I love the idea of a repro Luger, Borchart, Broomhandle, and some of the other early pistols.  The cost would be insane and for me I would rather throw that money at a shooter grade original.

I wonder if metal 3d printing could pave the way to printing out the parts and fit/assemble at home?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I owned one—interesting gun, but I would rather see a PSM in .22LR, .25ACP or .32ACP for a thin, easy to carry gun.  Like the Walther TPH but ergonomic.  The Browning hammerless is nearly 3/4” and disappears IWB carry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#43]
this is funny, but imagine the torture that red dot sight would get

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.

Winchester didn't stop making the 63 because it was obsolete.  They quit making it because it was too expensive to manufacture.  The Smith and Wesson 41 is going the same way.  Skilled labor is expensive, and if you look at the products made in the 50's and 60's, it is readily apparent that we now have parts assemblers, and not craftsmen, making guns.

If you want a rough mass produced piece of shit that functions, with today's technology it could happen.  If you want a "refined" version, then you're going to have to have a skilled craftsman make it, and it's going to cost A LOT.

People don't want nice guns, or complex guns anymore.  They want cheap, matte finished, mass produced things that go bang.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This is a real issue—I tried to get S&W to swap a pinned Model 66 back to a 4” from 2” barrel & they said they don’t have the tooling nor people to do it, so I had to find a gunsmith
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a little different but is it any worse than slide mounted?  Doesn't look very violent in slow mo:

Firearm Demonstration: Luger Lange Pistole 08

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Honestly I would prefer a modern p38.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is a real issue—I tried to get S&W to swap a pinned Model 66 back to a 4” from 2” barrel & they said they don’t have the tooling nor people to do it, so I had to find a gunsmith
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It’s about like everything else there were only a few people who did those things anyway and when they were no longer needed regularly it no longer got taught to the next group. Colt and Pythons comes to mind. The process for bluing was to polish the gun with a wheel covered in leather. The prep work was the reason it looked as classy as it did and there were only like 6 people at any one time that were trained and qualified to do the work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Came to post this.  I made attempts to order one.  This was in the days before the internet.  I was told "can't find one" every single time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stoeger made a stainless one in the 90's. It didn't last.

I impulse bought an unfired 6" Stoeger 5-10 years ago for $500.  I wanted a Luger but didn't want to pay the going rate for a decent original.  It didn't last long, mainly because I started doing research on them and figured out what they were actually worth at that time.  IIRC, the proceeds from that impulse buy netted me a free USP45 (used) and a free USP40C (new).  Still haven't bought an original Luger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lugers were thought to be too expensive to produce @$38. back in the 30's.

That's from my poor memory of a Forgotten Weapons episode.
View Quote

That would be roughly $624.18 today
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lugers were thought to be too expensive to produce @$38. back in the 30's.

That's from my poor memory of a Forgotten Weapons episode.

and, in terms of a military issue handgun, that would be an extremely high cost to manufacture.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top