BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Noice!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]

The tools I take with me most of the year.  I can do a lot of work with these.  Every human should have a good axe, saw and knife minimum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems I am collecting them now.

My newest design... front edge like the "grey matter" hawk, but with a rounded top, three finger grooves, and a different butt end to the handle.

Attachment Attached File

Now awaiting handle scales ...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By viralinsurgency:

My newest design... front edge like the "grey matter" hawk, but with a rounded top, three finger grooves, and a different butt end to the handle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/C6D3F441-28F8-4570-A0CD-3EFEFD0EFE48_jpe-2535442.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/EEB0727B-F69D-495B-89A0-3726F0EB2C65_jpe-2535451.JPG
View Quote

Really like how that looks!

Any tricks to sharpening those inward curved edges?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]

I have a Cold Steel axe but would prefer this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
For some reason, this appeals to me. This is not a tool, but a dedicated bronze CCW weapon, yeah, bronze. Very interesting design concept and material...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#7]
For more of a "bushcraft" EDC, either my Winkler Sayoc or Hults Bruk Agelsjon Hand Hatchet (if I'm not rocking my Kukri):

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]

How does the spyderco ax perform if you are using it for field craft activities?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'm on the hunt for something a little bigger than a CCW. I don't know if it because I'm back to reping 500 for deadlifts or that I'm just now feeling the urge to live up to my great great great great great great great great great blah blah blah Grandfather King Cnut.

I want an axe. I have a cold steel bearded axe but it's just ok. Maybe the CRKT Cimbri?
View Quote

For a medium-sized working axe, check out Gransfors bruks.
I have a 27” Iltis Oxhead that’s very handy; I tend to grab it before my 32”.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 40xb:
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#12]
A guy in my city ran at cops wielding a hatchet a few days ago, he threw it injuring an officer, and was propmptly shot for his stupidity. Not sure if he died but I'm hoping.

That said I don't carry a tomahawk, but cool idea. I have several I could use for that though. Don't need to hide anything in Texas anymore. That crazy crap ended a few years ago, now clubs, knuckles, and any blade length and style is allowed.

Man shot twice for hatchet attack on police
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DstryrOfWrlds:
Not my pic but I have this for some reason:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41i%2BbOiQzbL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I am guessing one of the kids bought it for me.
View Quote
Because it's freakin cool! I had one but gave to my son.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By basp2005:
I cc a katana.  Like the Highlander.
There can be only one!

View Quote

Hand and a half sword for me. I don't wait for winter though, as long as the scabbard matches my flip flops I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#15]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:
How does the spyderco ax perform if you are using it for field craft activities?
View Quote

Depends. It's not the best bevel for fine work, it will chop, but generally sucks The big issue with full tang axes is that if they're not tapered in the handle, their balance sucks. I see it much more as a breaching tool than field craft axe...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tombr0:
I would do... things... for this.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/28/e4/0428e4b176ad50f8aa95e63f303fce01.jpg
View Quote

Does anyone who buys these actually use them?

Honest question...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:54:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#17]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

Honest question...
View Quote

The more a weapon, the less the utility. When I was planning on getting my Winkler, I love the look of the front spike head, but my combat deployment days are behind me and my civil war fantasies are mostly just that.

I prefer some utility in my hawks. Yes, I've done several bushcraft tasks with my RMJ and VTAC...not optimal, but serviceably functional for more boring, routine tasks.

If I pick up a Sayoc spiked head hawk it would mostly be for photos and wall hanging...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/C6D3F441-28F8-4570-A0CD-3EFEFD0EFE48_jpe-2535442.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/EEB0727B-F69D-495B-89A0-3726F0EB2C65_jpe-2535451.JPG

Thanks.

I drew and sent the design, and received it just like this, so I haven't had to sharpen it yet.  I plan to use ceramic rods when I do.  That should give me a smooth, consistent finish to the edge.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
For more of a "bushcraft" EDC, either my Winkler Sayoc or Hults Bruk Agelsjon Hand Hatchet (if I'm not rocking my Kukri):

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210729_150932.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

Hello Iron Man!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By baogongmeo:
Hello Iron Man!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Imagine the look on the responding officers' faces if you took down a home invader with a motherfucking tomahawk.

View Quote

The only time I have ever pulled a gun in fear I was staying a few days with my brother at a house on the property of a trailer park my dad owned. My brother was a handyman for the property.

Anyway, we had a knock at the door and I answered and saw a guy that my father had evicted that morning standing there with a gun. He tried to push his way in but I managed to get the door closed and locked. My brother called the police and I grabbed the only gun I had with me, a black powder, cap and ball, 1860 Army.

I always wondered what reaction a cop would have had if I had shot the guy with a Civil War era pistol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MudBug:

The only time I have ever pulled a gun in fear I was staying a few days with my brother at a house on the property of a trailer park my dad owned. My brother was a handyman for the property.

Anyway, we had a knock at the door and I answered and saw a guy that my father had evicted that morning standing there with a gun. He tried to push his way in but I managed to get the door closed and locked. My brother called the police and I grabbed the only gun I had with me, a black powder, cap and ball, 1860 Army.

I always wondered what reaction a cop would have had if I had shot the guy with a Civil War era pistol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MudBug:
Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Imagine the look on the responding officers' faces if you took down a home invader with a motherfucking tomahawk.

Back in the '90s, a guy in Carr, Colorado captured a fugitive felon with an old cap and ball revolver. 140gr ball at around 700fps or so ain't a toy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Thanks.

I drew and sent the design, and received it just like this, so I haven't had to sharpen it yet.  I plan to use ceramic rods when I do.  That should give me a smooth, consistent finish to the edge.  

View All Quotes

Thanks.

Don’t know how I missed this.

Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I would like to make a report on the steel used in Winkler Sayoc clones from The “Ten Percent For The Big Guy” Ukraine.

Ancient Smithy currently uses C80W2 steel, which is supposedly stronger than the steel he used previously. According to this dude (who I have conversed with) C80W2 is approximately D2 strength. I requested D2, 1095, or O1/O2 at additional expense and he stated that was not necessary due to his updated steel.

I drilled a ‘hawk in preparation for handle scales tonight. My Dewalt Gold bit on medium speed with a lot of cutting oil went through 1/4inch of C80W2 in less than 2 minutes.

Don’t know if that’s good or bad, but I’m thinking it’s trending towards bad on the hardness scale. I’m certain this hawk would still split a skull open with aplomb, but hacking through a cinder block wall may render it combat ineffective.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#28]
My cold steel hawk did the chopping duties for my deer this past weekend. I've used it a lot on deer and honestly. I don't have a single complaint with it. For me it's just the right size to cut through vertebrae and ribs without being to small or to big.

I've got a Gerber pack hatchet that's tiny and I haven't used it in years because I found it to small.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Honest question...
View Quote

Cut down five 25-30' tall boxelder that I'd let go too long last weekend.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ban-hater] [#30]
For some reason, this appeals to me. This is not a tool, but a dedicated bronze CCW weapon, yeah, bronze. Very interesting design concept and material...

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/75094a_d0e9f9643f1d4995ab2048b55efc38b4~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1080,h_720,al_c,q_85,enc_auto/ETF02294%20w1080.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDsx_M_1d8

ROCK6
View Quote

DickPick

A DickPick you can send mods and not get banned. Cool!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for the tip!
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip!

@tree-hugger

Sure thing.

Been working on the handle scales, slow going and only one so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Council Tool is making straight 22" versions of their Flying Fox and Camp Carver. I've been looking for something just a bit bigger than my Cold Steel hawks, these might do it. The Carver is about 3 times the cost of the Fox.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I keep one of these in my Jeep.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MCR:
My CRKT Jenny Wren showed up today! I'll save this spot for a family photo when I get some time off.
View Quote

Cool.
I’ve been on and off with getting one for about a year.
@MCR
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ban-hater:
DickPick
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ban-hater:
DickPick

@ban-hater

This one is for the mods!

It's a DickPick!

Originally Posted By BoneB1B:
Originally Posted By MCR:
My CRKT Jenny Wren showed up today! I'll save this spot for a family photo when I get some time off.

Cool.
I’ve been on and off with getting one for about a year.
@MCR

The collaboration between RMJ and CRKT is a solid one. I got my CRKT on sale (under $100) and I'm pretty impressed.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
Carry? No, unless things get really sporty.
But it's in the car with me... one of these (plus a stabbity thing):
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464777/CR2730a_jpeg-1675086.jpg
CRKT
View Quote

We might be brothers
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have experience with the SOG throwing tomahawks. Not gonna be using it for self defense, but as more of a drinking activity. Like cornhole.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I forgot that I have a Bark River Sounding axe that I bought a long time ago.

I wonder if they are really Worth $500.

Not my pic, but it looks just like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Btt
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Not for CCW but I was presented with this one and a plaque from my last unit, so I now have an office “in case of emergency break glass” tomahawk.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:03:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#42]

Honest question...
View Quote

Definitely.

This very Cold Steel trench hawk was purchased by me before I left for Afghanistan in 2010, and has an interesting story to go along with it.
I keep this one in the floorboard of my M-ATV between the drivers seat and the door, just to keep it handy. I caught a small ration of smack talk for it, but just shrugged and said, “luck favors the prepared.”
Fast forward a few months, when we were doing site security surveys of the ECPs at Kandahar Airfield, and needed to clear a thicket of trees from the field of fire at ECP-5.
The NCOIC started in on a fallen tree with a chainsaw, but failed to undercut the section he was cutting, and the cut closed on the bar, sticking it fast in the tree. There were several attempts to extract the chainsaw bar from the tree, but no luck.
At this point I said, “I have something that might work,” and produced my Trench Hawk from my truck, and widened the cut around the chainsaw bar with it until we could free it.
No one talked smack about my tomahawk again.
Since that time, I’ve used this very same tomahawk to clear trash trees, dig out roots and vines, break up pallets and limb out fallen trees. It has yet to fail at any task to which I have put it, and I wouldn’t think of parting with it. If you don’t yet have one, go thou to Cold Steel and get thyself one of these badass belt axes!
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#43]

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/75094a_d0e9f9643f1d4995ab2048b55efc38b4~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1080,h_720,al_c,q_85,enc_auto/ETF02294%20w1080.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDsx_M_1d8

ROCK6
View Quote

Is a Tomahawk Practical for Self Defense? | Wingard Wearables Empress Complete Review
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Real TOMAHAWK Combat!..from historical accounts
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#45]

A Christmas gift from my brother, and a Christmas gift for my brother.

Just need to put the sheath together.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:
Anyone have experience with the SOG throwing tomahawks. Not gonna be using it for self defense, but as more of a drinking activity. Like cornhole.
View Quote

Old post but if you’re talking about the 3 pack of mini hawks I have them. Likely stamped sheet metal or something so they are not very durable, but they do throw pretty well and are a lot of fun as a “toy” type thing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Working on a presentation box so I can give my brother his axe this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://i.imgur.com/FLs8D96.jpg

View Quote

Looks great! Hell of a nice gift to give.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 55Kingpin] [#49]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://i.imgur.com/FLs8D96.jpg

View Quote

Did you make that axe?  If not, where'd you get it?  Is it from one of the Etsy guys from overseas?

ETA: pic thread

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top