View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sons of liberty gun assemblers

Just like Hodge right?

this guy gets it

why the fuck is a Hodge rifle $8k on GB?

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I bet the drawing was even correct too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an out of spec bolt release from their blaster pack

Their kitchen scale said it weighed what it was supposed to.

I bet the drawing was even correct too.

tolerance stack up is a bitch
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For example, their sourced BCG selling for premium money:

https://www.koshersurplus.com/product/solgw-sons-of-liberty-gunworks-5-56-bcg/
View Quote

all made by toolcraft probably
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

They claim microbest and I believe it. Their bolts are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

SOLGW BCGs are sourced from Microbest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fair enough, took a guess and guessed wrong
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They sure do. Perhaps you should learn some of them.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/make
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/build

SOLGW MAKES and BUILDS rifles and pistols. How do you feel about that?
View Quote

Assemble is the correct word.

Would you say the make barrels? Or bcgs?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Most people who overpay for brand x will defend that poor choice, emotionally and vociferously.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 complete SOLGW rifles & 1 that’s a factory upper mated to a factory lower.  They’ve been great guns, appear to be from a great company that supports the 2nd Amendment and stands by their product.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to the English language, MAKE or BUILD are correct. Does that bother you?

I would say, once again, that they build rifles and pistols, because they do. I would not say they make barrels, they spec them. I don't know if their BCGs show up already assembled or not, and I don't really care.

Quoted:
Most people who overpay for brand x will defend that poor choice, emotionally and vociferously.

I don't own a SOLGW gun, but why are they a poor choice specifically?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SOLGW should not even be spoken in the same sentence as Knights Armament. Period.

One is the very top of the food chain, the other a dumb boutique parts assembler.
View Quote

This.
Also don’t like doing business with companies whose owner beats their mother up…
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Imagine paying top dollar for a fucking BA barrel and microbest bcg lmao
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I fail at multi quoting, but this is what I’m talking about here:

Posted: Today 10:59:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.
Also don’t like doing business with companies whose owner beats their mother up…
View Quote

And yet Knights has folks who are known to donate money to the Dems. Yet GD still swings from their nuts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And yet Knights has folks who are known to donate money to the Dems. Yet GD still swings from their nuts.
View Quote

Many govt contractors donate to both sides of the aisle.

It’s good for business.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Many govt contractors donate to both sides of the aisle.

It’s good for business.
View Quote

I'm aware, but it's funny what GD will protest about and then let slide because of "reasons".
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm aware, but it's funny what GD will protest about and then let slide because of "reasons".
View Quote

Yeah, people (especially GD) really like to pick and choose the principles they cheer on.

It’s very entertaining.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly.  How much is a ZEV/MEGA receiver set and wedge lock rail?  Now add in a decent BCG, LPK, Vltor A5 system, Radian charging handle, NOX muzzle device, etc.  I've built plenty of AR's, I have factory BCM's, Noveske's, PSA builds, LMT...bought and traded a bunch of brands and parts over the years.  SOLGW definitely uses quality parts in their rifles and the majority of reviews I've seen are positive.  

All that said, my Noveske MK18 is my favorite and smooth as butter.  Gen 2 lower with a DD LPK, Geissele SSA, Vltor A5 system, and the upper is a factory Noveske 10.5".
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

According to the English language, MAKE or BUILD are correct. Does that bother you?

I would say, once again, that they build rifles and pistols, because they do. I would not say they make barrels, they spec them. I don't know if their BCGs show up already assembled or not, and I don't really care.

I don't own a SOLGW gun, but why are they a poor choice specifically?
View Quote

When you say they spec barrels, are they specifying anything other than the caliber, profile, length, and gas port position and diameter?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SOLGW should not even be spoken in the same sentence as Knights Armament. Period.

One is the very top of the food chain, the other a dumb boutique parts assembler.
View Quote

LO fucking L, one is proprietary with almost unobtanium replacement parts

and one strives to make the AR platform as good as it can while making sure "It has to fucking work"
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The MSRP for a SOLGW-spec (and lifetime warranty) barrel is slightly under BA's Hanson series. Seems reasonable. I have two friends who own Son's BCGs, they bought them for $114. I thought that was probably the best deal in BCGs at the time. Times are a little different now, not sure what people are willing to bid on, but I guess that's their prerogative.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not exactly.  How much is a ZEV/MEGA receiver set and wedge lock rail?  Now add in a decent BCG, LPK, Vltor A5 system, Radian charging handle, NOX muzzle device, etc.  I've built plenty of AR's, I have factory BCM's, Noveske's, PSA builds, LMT...bought and traded a bunch of brands and parts over the years.  SOLGW definitely uses quality parts in their rifles and the majority of reviews I've seen are positive.  

All that said, my Noveske MK18 is my favorite and smooth as butter.  Gen 2 lower with a DD LPK, Geissele SSA, Vltor A5 system, and the upper is a factory Noveske 10.5".
View Quote

I would not pay top dollar for a gun built around that Barrel, that’s me.

PSA manufacturers a majority of their own stuff, and even they use FN barrels (premium). And those guns are more affordable than said Instagram lords.

I don’t put much stock in customer reviews, too much is subjective to the avg shooter.

I do, however like to see proof groups with ragged holes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Name too long/10
View Quote

Then go with Loyal 9 if you want minimum cringe
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had their stuff for years, hung out with them, been to both shops, etc.

Bar none, you would be hard pressed to find another company that has as solid of people as SOLGW.

They have done a fantastic job in the last 6 years and their reputation is well earned.

For a website that loves to tear people down for slight political disagreements, please show me a company that is as "on our side" as them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275845/IMG_7633-2173941.jpg

Show me a company that has a warranty that competes with theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1nSFcapNXQ

They are incredibly passionate about the AR15, as well as incredibly knowledgable. Their guns hold up to serious abuse. They source top tier parts, and QC all of them as they come in. They 100% stand behind their product. They build an incredibly solid rifle, that is inexpensive for what it is.

There were a lot of manufacturers that started slacking on parts they sourced during the COVID debacle, in an attempt to keep up with demand. They did not. They are no compromise.

They are my default gun I give out to people who don't own an AR these days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275845/DSC02119-2021844.jpg
View Quote

100% agree.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When you say they spec barrels, are they specifying anything other than the caliber, profile, length, and gas port position and diameter?
View Quote

I don't know how the metallurgy, tolerances, testing protocols, etc., differ from BA's own line. I don't know why Son's likes the gov profile so much, or why their 12.5 is designed to be the gassiest, those things puzzle me. I bet Mike would answer those questions, though, his contact info is all over the internet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

PSA manufacturers a majority of their own stuff, and even they use FN barrels (premium). And those guns are more affordable than said Instagram lords.

I don’t put much stock in customer reviews, too much is subjective to the avg shooter.

View Quote

I think the price is reflected in the entirety of the parts used plus assembly, and BA barrels have a good reputation and have worked well for me on some other builds.  PSA does manufacture a lot, including their nitride barrels, which could be part of why they can have lower prices...they also have mixed reviews and I've personally had issues with PSA stuff (crooked FSB on one upper, bent FSP on another, BCG extractor's out of spec) which they took care of-PSA has good customer service.  The fit, finish and consistency on PSA isn't close to SOLGW, at least in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know how the metallurgy, tolerances, testing protocols, etc., differ from BA's own line. I don't know why Son's likes the gov profile so much, or why their 12.5 is designed to be the gassiest, those things puzzle me. I bet Mike would answer those questions, though, his contact info is all over the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d rather hear it from one of his engineers. He has those right?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great guys, great customer service, great product, fair prices.

Boom.
View Quote

Excellent description of Rock River Arms
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know, but you seem to have a lot of specific questions, why don't you go ahead and call Mike and report back?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

>the guy complaining about SOLGW is a PSA fanboy
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Geissele’s engineers that made the Maritime Bolt Catch? You know the ones that break.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like Geissele’s engineers that made the Maritime Bolt Catch? You know the ones that break.
View Quote

That’s always a risk when you design things. This is a risk that the company in question has avoided.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

>the guy complaining about SOLGW is a PSA fanboy
https://c.tenor.com/zHxkCmbNeR4AAAAC/imagine-my-shock-shocked.gif
View Quote

Solo is overpriced for the barrel it comes with. Maybe you missed the point.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I had never heard of them until this past summer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Attachment Attached File

Lol been waiting on this comment. How long until the owner drops in and leaves his cell number?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I never really paid attention to them or researched them until people here started posting about the SOLGW/Geissele/Brownells collaboration upper. Looked like a decent upper but would rather have a Noveske 13.7 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That’s always a risk when you design things. This is a risk that the company in question has avoided.
View Quote

True, SOLGW hasn't bothered to design their very own bolt catch. I wouldn't either if I worked in some collaboration with FCD. It's not clear how much Son's was involved with the safety, but they sell it under their own name as well.

Would you hold SOLGW in higher esteem if they designed their own critical components that had a reputation of snapping?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I never really paid attention to them or researched them until people here started posting about the SOLGW/Geissele/Brownells collaboration upper. Looked like a decent upper but would rather have a Noveske 13.7 barrel.
View Quote

You mean you wouldn't pay $1400 dollars for an upper with a Ballistic Advantage barrel?  Why not?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I don’t remember which ones specifically or if they would be considered better or worse than BA, but I do recall them verifying that some SOLGW barrels are sourced from Rosco.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don’t remember which ones specifically or if they would be considered better or worse than BA, but I do recall them verifying that some SOLGW barrels are sourced from Rosco.
View Quote

Sage edition rifles have Rosco
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I remember when Kac/lmt fan boys were super fanatical over how good their stuff was. And it actually was. Hodge and the rest acting like they reinvented the wheel when in reality all they did was probably scour internet forums for mid to upper level quality companies and had them make parts for them. I don't know if they can be considered a boutique brand considering they don't make much of anything themselves.

Hodge, SOLGW, Tri-Arc, Zev, and probably another one I am forgetting all share a rail design or two, which is a decent mind you, but other than that they don't really do anything special. They build franken guns out of mostly good parts, slap some instamarketing on that shit so people online don't get shamed for having a franken build and call it a day. I will give FCD a pass as I get the feeling someone actually designed a lot their stuff instead of just making a build list and putting it together.

If I was building a quality upper while trying to save money, I would get an Aero upper and rail, PSA CHF barrel, PSA microbest carrier, and whatever flavor of charging handle you prefer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is nothing wrong with Rosco barrels but at the end of the day they are a budget friendly brand. That said I have personally dealt with them ordering stock for a shop and they are good people.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Im going to name my company guy who's been drinking bourbon for 3 hours riflewerkz
View Quote
Did you steal my business plan you son of a....
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I just remembered I have a SOLGW gas block on one of my rifles, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

this guy gets it

why the fuck is a Hodge rifle $8k on GB?

View Quote

Because people are fucking idiots and will buy it
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He caters to the gear queer autists on instagram who's only shooting is highly filtered pictures.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't have any of the parts you designed break if you don't design any parts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember when Kac/lmt fan boys were super fanatical over how good their stuff was. And it actually was. Hodge and the rest acting like they reinvented the wheel when in reality all they did was probably scour internet forums for mid to upper level quality companies and had them make parts for them. I don't know if they can be considered a boutique brand considering they don't make much of anything themselves.
View Quote

How easy do you think it would be to shoot FN USA an email and have them manufacture a unique barrel to your exact specs for you? It's true that Jim Hodge does not manufacture barrels, nor any other component, from scratch in his home. He does have connections from working in the industry (and carrying a gun for a long time) though. He probably did not scour ARF to make his small company, that's patently absurd, sir.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hodge, SOLGW, Tri-Arc, Zev, and probably another one I am forgetting all share a rail design or two, which is a decent mind you, but other than that they don't really do anything special. They build franken guns out of mostly good parts, slap some instamarketing on that shit so people online don't get shamed for having a franken build and call it a day. I will give FCD a pass as I get the feeling someone actually designed a lot their stuff instead of just making a build list and putting it together.

If I was building a quality upper while trying to save money, I would get an Aero upper and rail, PSA CHF barrel, PSA microbest carrier, and whatever flavor of charging handle you prefer.
View Quote

What’s funny is Hodge doesn’t act like he invented anything, he literally says he built a AR as if he was king for the day.

SOLGW is the same way… they looked at the AR and said how can we make this the most reliable AR around.  The barrel is a moot point considering that if you shoot it out they will replace for free, hell if your rifle burns up in a house fire they will replace it for free, use it in a shooting? Yep you guessed it Mike and company is sending you one until you get yours back from LE.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top