Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can afford both and chose the GTS. I’ll get a 911 at some point likely, but for now… lightweight, manual, naturally aspirated, RWD, not a lot of cars that check those boxes. To get that in a 911 you’d have to have 200k and a long standing relationship with the dealer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
718 is a 4 cylinder so that makes the answer pretty easy.  Although I guess you could go with the GTS 4.0 but then you are spending 911 money on a Cayman.

I can afford both and chose the GTS. I’ll get a 911 at some point likely, but for now… lightweight, manual, naturally aspirated, RWD, not a lot of cars that check those boxes. To get that in a 911 you’d have to have 200k and a long standing relationship with the dealer.

Miata
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I just bought a Turbo S and driving that thing has ruined my ability to drive anything else.

http://i.imgur.com/24YqvXP.jpg
View Quote

User name checks out. That’s beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 991 GT3.   Beautiful but not pleasant to own due to lack of sound deadening.  Suspension was not bad.  Had it for 5 years so guess I liked it enough.    
Personally I think the 911 GTS is the one to get.   The Turbo S is world class, but tend to depreciate like a rock.

If I was in the market, would look at Cayman GT4 RS as I already have a fast tourer.  The Panamera Turbo S is as fast on the ring as my last gen GT3 (7:25).
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You mean 914?

The only years they didn't make 912s was 70-75.

Longhood 912s with carbs = 1965-1969

70-75 =  no 912

G-Body (impact bumper) 912 with fuel injection = 1976 911E  (just one year)

View Quote

No,i meant 912.Just got my years wrong before coffee.

ETA: I could have swore the one i looked at was a '70.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
911 of course but I have been looking at Caymans (value choice).  Not alot of Cayman's out there though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LOL you guys and your Beetles...er Volkswagons..

/snicker
View Quote

Hey I resemble that remark!

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It really depends on what you're wanting. The 911 is an all around, do everything choice; makes a good daily driver where as the Cayman is more of a weekends car. Surprisingly the 911 has room for a grocery/Lowes run and has a backseat for small children if needed. Either are fun to drive really in any trim but when you get into the more performance trims the 911 begins to pull away, so does your bank account.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cayman vs 911 and Why?

I choose Cayman if I were a big spender.

Edited for spelling.
View Quote

What are your plans with it? Cruising, track days, race track or both? Budget? Do you know how to work on cars? Tune suspension?

911 is cooler. Cayman is cheaper to learn how to drive. Both will be expensive to fix when you meet the wall on a track day.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Panamera Turbo S.

I'm old, fat, slow and stupid. I need cushy comfort with style more than ball busting banger rides.

Can't afford anyway, but I'm living the poor life with pride.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I were a big spender, I'd find a 73 911 RSR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Caymen vs 911 and Why?

I choose Caymen if I were a big spender.
If I were a big spender, I'd find a 73 911 RSR.
I was a passenger in one of those when my FIL spun it hitting water on a curve. Wild ride. Wild car. Still had the original light weight interior.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Is this a Porsche?

Porsche?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Poor man's Porsche
View Quote
I thought that was the boxter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Ford Focus RS

then get a bigger turbo and aux fuel and make 600 to the crank

It's AWD and only weighs 3400

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Air cooled 911 is the only correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Driven both and own a 911. The Cayman is a really nice Miata while the 911 is a true sports car.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m thinking this is a troll post.   A “big spender” doesn’t go for the Cayman.  And if money is no concern, it’s the 911 all day, every day and twice on sunday
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m thinking this is a troll post.   A “big spender” doesn’t go for the Cayman.  And if money is no concern, it’s the 911 all day, every day and twice on sunday
View Quote

Wrong.   The cheapest used Cayman RS is 230k,  goes up to 300k. A used GT3 is in the same price range, so quite some overlap on 911 and Cayman buyers.  

Getting an allocation on any new Porsche sports cars is tough, doubly so on their GT cars.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Cayman is a better track car, supposedly the better “sports car.” The 911 is more of a grand touring car that handles well. It depends on what you are looking to get out of the vehicle.

The 944 argument is completely ridiculous.

I will toss out the Cayman has the stigma of being the budget sports car among some people, if you don’t care what people think then the Cayman is awesome. If you are flaunting that you drive a Porsche, you probably want a 911. fwiw, I don’t look down on people who drive a Cayman, but I have made comments to snotty people who drive a base model 911, same goes for snotty people who drive a base model 3-Series and think they are the shit.

Buy what suits you, most people don’t need, nor will use the higher performance of the higher models.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The rear seats in a 911 are simply a well-upholstered storage area. But handy for that purpose!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s made to haul supermodels.

The rear seats in a 911 are simply a well-upholstered storage area. But handy for that purpose!

My 7 & 8 year old fit just fine. It’s the perfect car and suitable for a family of 4.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOL you guys and your Beetles...er Volkswagons..

/snicker
View Quote

Winningest sports car of all time but you keep on thinking it’s just a beetle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
BRZ with a supercharger

Spend the extra 30-100k on hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor man's Porsche

No , that's BRZ/gr86
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really don't give a rats ass about wins, It's how it looks...  like a stretched out beetle..

Not that I would could or want to afford something like that but you keep on thinking that car is something desirable.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]
A Factory Five Racing 818C would be interesting.
* I'd like it better with a 356 body on it though ...maybe even air-cooled and carbed
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
you can probably find a 996 Turbo for not obscene money if you really need a 911

but TBH I'd get a R8 or a AMG GT-C/S

While the 911 is really cool, the AMG GT is phenomenal looking in person.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A Factory Five Racing 818C would be interesting.
View Quote

DeTomaso Pantera would be more interesitng
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don’t be a peasant. Here is my ‘22 Carrera GTS with aerokit.

https://i.ibb.co/4p6ybLM/IMG-2147.jpg
View Quote

pardon the language, but that fucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is your price limit?

What year of 911 and Cayman are you looking at?

What trim level?

What is the car used for? Track, street/track, rural roads, or just to and from Cars and Coffee?

What are the streets like near your place? Smooth? Potholes?

You need AWD?

Just you or a family?

Need space for luggage?

There is about a bunch of questions you need to ask yourself.

It would also help if you knew how to spell Cayman correctly.
View Quote

This, and if you haven't driven a Cayman and 911 back to back, do it. Go to a Porsche experience center and select the Cayman/911 package.

They drive differently.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve gotten happier with my 04 C4S. Wife wants to sell her Boxster and my 911 and get a newer 911.

I’m torn. Maybe a 997.2 or 991.1. But it’s gotta have a manual.

I’d really like a late 80’s Carrera…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

(All of this of course ignores the expensive options that add a lot to the actual price )

View Quote

Like buttons on the steering wheel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m torn. Maybe a 997.2 or 991.1. But it’s gotta have a manual.

I’d really like a late 80’s Carrera…

View Quote

I got a 991.1 in manual and it is definitely a cool car. Last of the NA and with the MT you can really have fun and hear the flat 6 growl.  Only regret is I don’t have PSE, but for $$$$ that can be rectified.  

I like the narrow front ends of the 997 more but the cars feel dated.  991’s still feel new/modern.  

I too really lust over a 964.  But no way can I get myself to pay the kind of money the old air cooled cars command.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Cayman is a womans Porsche

The ONLY TRUE PORSCHE IS THE 911
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've owned a 911 T, 944, 924, 914, Cayman and Cayman S.  The 911-T was a carbureted pig, a 1971 IIRC, and I got from a buddy who owned a body shop. It was a NY car that was rusted to hell that he got in trade and he just didn't want to mess with it so I drove it for about a year until the floor boards rusted through.

The 944 I had in Germany and I got it for $2500USD. It was essentially brand new with 5K kms on it and garage kept but took leaded gas so the owner couldn't drive it any more (no cat). US personal had an exemption for a while.  Fun car but slow.  Would cruise on the autobahn though….I'd keep it at 240-260 kph for hours on end when A-8 was mostly unrestricted. Those days are pretty much gone.

The 924 the same….slow but fun. The 914 was a go-cart. I really liked that little thing but it had all sorts of electrical problems. I ended up getting rear ended at Bragg by some woman who was driving and watching the air show that was going on….just drove right into me.

The Cayman base was ok. Handled well but no real power. The Cayman S, a 2014 with PDK and 6 cylinders, was by far the most fun. It drove like it was on rails and had more than enough power to get the job done, especially in sport mode.

That being said, I'm starting to look for mid 1980's 911S…..prices seem to be coming down and I've wanted one since they came out. The problem that I have is there's no way I can get it up the mountain to my cabin so"ll have to rent an indoor storage unit in town.
View Quote

A Ford Maverick and a set of ramps would suffice to haul that tiny thing up to your cabin.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I really don't give a rats ass about wins, It's how it looks...  like a stretched out beetle..

Not that I would could or want to afford something like that but you keep on thinking that car is something desirable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, damn those grapes must be sour.

Women care about how a car looks, men care about how a car performs. Just sayin’
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you can probably find a 996 Turbo for not obscene money if you really need a 911

but TBH I'd get a R8 or a AMG GT-C/S

While the 911 is really cool, the AMG GT is phenomenal looking in person.
View Quote

The 996 TT ship sailed a few years ago. I was looking at one in 2015-16 and you could find a higher mileage example in a boring/common color like silver or grey for under $40k. I test drove a couple including one with the x50 package(more HP) and quickly realized it was too fast, I’m not adult enough to enjoy something like that responsibly. So I went to the other end of the spectrum and bought a slow 911, no ragrets.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Chris Harris Drives The Tuthill Porsche 911K - THE ASTONISHING 11,000RPM LIGHTWEIGHT MACHINE
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Panamera Turbo S.

I'm old, fat, slow and stupid. I need cushy comfort with style more than ball busting banger rides.

Can't afford anyway, but I'm living the poor life with pride.
View Quote

I'm considering getting a Cayenne.  It's a hurdle to get over to spend $100k on a SUV.

ETA: However, this would be fun too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm pretty happy with my crappy American C7....

Only 911 I drove was back in 2000 & it was a base non turbo convertible. Honestly is was a POS in the limited time I had it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Will sell off a couple old classic cars this fall and roll the money into a Cayman 981 GTS in sapphire blue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.
View Quote

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

Here’s a great video of a really good driver showing you how to drive a 911.

On track with a Porsche 2.7 RS | How to drive –\u00ad Episode 1
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Manual or PDK? I'm a diehard manual guy, but I hear PDK is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Manual or PDK? I'm a diehard manual guy, but I hear PDK is amazing.
View Quote

Manual. Its what a true sports car is. But the PDK is faster on a track.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Guy that retired had IH82ski as a license plate on his 911, it was parked next to another 911 with ILUV2ski. The picture was in the L.A. Times years ago.

Before he retired he bought a newer 911, sweet ride but still preferred the older model.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top