Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your post mentions that you’re the kind of vehicle owner to put quite a few miles more than average on a vehicle per day and you prefer to keep your vehicle for long periods of time. Notice how everyone keeps saying things like “I own one and love it! But they turn into trash at 100k miles…”? That should lead you to the correct answer.

If you want an Audi-level luxury vehicle that will last forever and be bombproof reliable, your options are Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, in that order
View Quote

You don't read well do you?

Read my first post in this thread. ~500,000 miles across 2 Audis currently owned. One is 14 years old. One is 21 years old. The 21 year old is my DD. 50+ miles a day. It sees snow every winter, broke trail in 24+ inches of snow a couple years back. It's been a great car.

From my experiences with Audi vs Acura, Lexus, BMW and Infiniti I'll take the slightly more maintenance intensive Audi for its reliability and enjoyment of driving.

My last car was a soulless jap. It was actually less reliable. The Audi is so much more comfortable to be in. A nice replace to be. Drove from Kentucky to Oregon without stopping to rest, only fuel. Was not excessively fatigued. I did drive 3 hours to Portland in my little Japanese commuter. I was whiped and dreading the drive home.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
2022 RS6 Avant is my daily. It's a POS and I'll never buy another Audi. At least it's fast.
View Quote

Do tell
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
2022 RS6 Avant is my daily. It's a POS and I'll never buy another Audi. At least it's fast.
View Quote

Sell it to me
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The sensors are VERY accurate.  I've been wrenching on Euro for 20 years and I don't remember the last time I changed a faulty oil level sensor.  Ever had a dip stick break off in the tube?  I run into that a lot more than I run into faulty oil level sensors.

With that said, I still prefer a dipstick.  

View Quote

yep. those sensors have been really reliable. I haven't replaced a modern one yet.

they're also very accurate, but they are a pain in the ass to ensure you set the level correct on the oil change, they have to be all the way warm and occasional I have to drive them up and down the street to check the level. which sucks when you have a waiting customer and half the time of the lof is waiting for the screen to show you the oil level.

the q8 have been fine vehicles. I mean, I really have nothing to report on the newer turbo 3.0v6 and 4.0v8 turbo motors. I have had a few issues with the mild hybrid generator/starter system they are equipped with but AOA extended the warranty on them long enough the early problematic ones should be fixed before they're a problem after.

I would buy one without hesitation...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do tell
View Quote

Slow ass computer system from 2005.
It literally takes over a minute to Bluetooth connect to my phone.
Child door lock (electronic, of course) broke
Surround cameras, broke
Collision assistance sensor, broke
Dumb ass engineers designed the alternator to be combined with the "starter generator" and required it to be liquid cooled. Unfortunately they failed chemistry class and use seals that fail... Resulting in coolant intrusion... Resulting in complete electrical system failure. It left me stranded on the side of the highway with my kids, at night, in the middle of fucking nowhere Eastern Colorado. Imagine a car in which literally everything is electric except the actual combustion engine and you have zero electrical system.

18,000 miles.

At least it's fast.

And the dealer has cold brew nitro coffee on tap.

ETA: 2019 Ram 1500 hemi. Zero issues in 52k miles. Hell, the Audi has been less reliable than my 69 Mustang (mileage unknown,) or my 87 Porsche (80k miles)
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
. I have had a few issues with the mild hybrid generator/starter system they are equipped with but AOA extended the warranty on them long enough the early problematic ones should be fixed before they're a problem after.

I would buy one without hesitation...
View Quote

Have you driven one when the system fails? The dash says "see dealer soon" like it's no big deal and a few miles later says "compete electrical system failure" in red as you lose power steering, power brakes, the sport diff, 4 wheel steering, your dash, lights etc. loads of fun at 80 mph at night on an interstate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a few Volkswagen TDIs and now have a 2012 A3 TDI as a fun/range/dog park vehicle.

They aren't a Toyota in the reliability department but I like the drive quality.  Solid drivetrain but the interiors and electronics can be a bit iffy.  I'm pretty good at fixing that stuff so it hasn't been a big hit on the wallet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The worst experience owning a car (and I've owned quite a few) was in an Audi.

I realize this is anecdotal but I will NEVER own an Audi or Audi-derived product again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Good quality premium VW but notnsure i would want to own it.

Bentley is the luxury brand in the VW group.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed my 2007 A4. I had a good friend who was a dealer trained mechanic. they are highly based around VW on the lower end. the higher end is less VW drivetrain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I would never spend more than the cost of a Corolla or a Civic if I was commuting 2200 miles a month...no way.  The depreciation of an expensive car and you will take it in the shorts.  Also, IMO, a high end Euro car is NOT a commuter vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My Audi excels at highway cruising but why would you want to ruin it by getting an SUV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I was looking at getting an A4 R. It was during COVID and that ship sank....Audi pretty much told they had no idea when I would be able to order one that I wanted, I would have to wait for what they were able to get me.

I wanted to order one built they way I wanted. I passed.

I got my Cadillac CT4 V instead. Glad I did.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Read my first post in this thread. ~500,000 miles across 2 Audis currently owned. One is 14 years old. One is 21 years old. The 21 year old is my DD. 50+ miles a day. It sees snow every winter, broke trail in 24+ inches of snow a couple years back. It's been a great car.

From my experiences with Audi vs Acura, Lexus, BMW and Infiniti I'll take the slightly more maintenance intensive Audi for its reliability and enjoyment of driving.

My last car was a soulless jap. It was actually less reliable. The Audi is so much more comfortable to be in. A nice replace to be. Drove from Kentucky to Oregon without stopping to rest, only fuel. Was not excessively fatigued. I did drive 3 hours to Portland in my little Japanese commuter. I was whiped and dreading the drive home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your post mentions that you’re the kind of vehicle owner to put quite a few miles more than average on a vehicle per day and you prefer to keep your vehicle for long periods of time. Notice how everyone keeps saying things like “I own one and love it! But they turn into trash at 100k miles…”? That should lead you to the correct answer.

If you want an Audi-level luxury vehicle that will last forever and be bombproof reliable, your options are Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, in that order

Attachment Attached File

Anyone that tells you that Audi is better than Lexus or even Infinishit is smoking crack.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
This guy (independent shop) works on LOTS of the more exotic stuff.  He has some strong opinions about Audis, both good and bad.

I would heed his advice.

Which Audis To Buy

Why Junk This Beautiful Audi?

Basically, it boils down to this:   once an Audi is out of warranty certain models are going to get HORRIBLY expensive to repair.  Worse yet, even though they possess "German engineering", they have models with inherent flaws in them, and THOSE WILL DRAIN your pocketbook.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you driven one when the system fails? The dash says "see dealer soon" like it's no big deal and a few miles later says "compete electrical system failure" in red as you lose power steering, power brakes, the sport diff, 4 wheel steering, your dash, lights etc. loads of fun at 80 mph at night on an interstate.
View Quote

I'm fully aware of what happens when those gen/starters fail.

most people stop when the first light comes on.

some people drive them till the 48v system kills what power is left in the 12v system.

but a few tow it home and replace the 12v battery with a lead acid battery then can't figure out why the car can only go 15 min on the brand new battery they installed.

again, at this point its a warranty issue, and resolved by them replacing the gen/starter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This guy (independent shop) works on LOTS of the more exotic stuff.  He has some strong opinions about Audis, both good and bad.

I would heed his advice.

Which Audis To Buy

Basically, it boils down to this:   once an Audi is out of warranty certain models are going to get HORRIBLY expensive to repair.  Worse yet, even though they possess "German engineering", they have models with inherent flaws in them, and THOSE WILL DRAIN your pocketbook.
View Quote

that fat piece of shit has no idea what he's talking about.

he says "to buy' a 01-09 A4...

then shows a picture of a 10+
but besides that, no one in their right mind, actually working in the field suggests a 20+ year old car. they're all beat, and the parts supply is quickly dwindling.

So far the only youtube personality that actually knows the product is Humble Mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/@HumbleMechanic

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

some people drive them till the 48v system kills what power is left in the 12v system.

but a few tow it home and replace the 12v battery with a lead acid battery then can't figure out why the car can only go 15 min on the brand new battery they installed.

again, at this point its a warranty issue, and resolved by them replacing the gen/starter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The warning says see dealer soon not stop driving car immediately.

In fact the vehicle gives TONS of "xyz system fault, see dealer soon." Do ALL of those actually mean "stop driving immediately?" No? Just that one? How would a normal owner know the difference?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

but besides that, no one in their right mind, actually working in the field suggests a 20+ year old car. they're all beat, and the parts supply is quickly dwindling.

So far the only youtube personality that actually knows the product is Humble Mechanic.

View Quote

^ This is who I would trust with Audi opinions
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The warning says see dealer soon not stop driving car immediately.

In fact the vehicle gives TONS of "xyz system fault, see dealer soon." Do ALL of those actually mean "stop driving immediately?" No? Just that one? How would a normal owner know the difference?
View Quote

you mean this light?

the one that tells you there is an electrical malfunction and you need to have the system serviced soon?

Not one of these died suddenly, many people drove them over 60 miles before the 48v system was discharged and locked out for safety

I know how the goddamn system works. I have both diagnosed and repaired them, including unlocking a 48v system that had gone below 10% because the customer kept charging the 12v battery on a trickle charger.

the one that now has a warranty extension that will take care of, most likely all of these before they're out of warranty?

c'mon man.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a B5 Gen S4, I loved that vehicle but I didn’t keep it past 60K as they were prone to eat turbos. Audi’s interiors are IMO the best of the industry and they’re well-built cars, no squeaks or rattles but like any Euro car not easy to maintain. Parts are labor are insane.

I believe Audi has improved their reliability over the years but if you get one get a CPO with full warranty coverage. It may be worth keeping a warranty on it the entire time you own the car for piece of mind.

I too would look at a Lexus…
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Mazda makes good Audi's.  For a lot less.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would heed his advice.

Which Audis To Buy

the carwizard is a retard. after I saw his 5.4 3v video, I completely wrote off his dumb ass
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#25]
No E55 AMG or C63 AMG???
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Audi's are Volkswagens, so be on top of maintenance and you shouldn't have any issues.
I had a CC with no issues. The Ex had Jetta and put close to 300k on the clock. I think the turbo was replaced once. A guy at work had a Passat and did the same kind of driving 100 mile a day thing. He has 350k on it and only put gas in it and did the scheduled maintenance. As far as I know nothing ever broke on it.
The key to German auto reliability is maintenance

Forgot to add, we rented and Audi sedan a few months ago on vacation and the radio/climate control is a PITA
If you want navigation it's an extra monthly fee.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I know jack shit about Audi cars.....but most of them are easy on the eyes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No E55 AMG or C63 AMG???
View Quote

I want an E63 so bad
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most Audis I have worked on have had a cartridge filter in a plastic cup, positioned in a way that it should be removed from below, but you can only get to it from above-so you get to reach down the side of a hot block and bend your arm where it doesn't have joints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you change your own oil?

Because if you buy an Audi you won't for long. Plastic belly pans with fasteners every 6 inches, awkward filter positions, pain in the ass to wipe everything up after the change.

If you're not a DIYer the above doesn't apply. Be selective where you get your service done and it will be a good car. A maintained Audi is nice-but so is a Cadillac(for the 6 weeks before the plastics go to shit).

I drive a 2021 SQ5 and I don't have to use a jack to change the oil. Filter is on top, and a port to vacuum the oil out of the pan is on top.

OP I've had 8 Audi's dating back to a 1999 2.8L 6 cylinder A4 with a 6 speed. 4 A4's, 3 S4's, and my current '21 SQ5. You'll really like them if you drive distances. I absolutely adore the air/sports suspension on my current SQ5.

Most Audis I have worked on have had a cartridge filter in a plastic cup, positioned in a way that it should be removed from below, but you can only get to it from above-so you get to reach down the side of a hot block and bend your arm where it doesn't have joints.

Yeah and it sucks when you put the new filter on from the top, then get distracted forget to tighten it from the bottom.  Luckily I only drove around the block and saw the oil streak.

I liked my A4.  Did everything myself, but became a pain in the ass after 100k like everyone here says.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I hate the Audi radio/infotainment controls, but they are nice to drive.

Rentals only, never owned one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the carwizard is a retard. after I saw his 5.4 3v video, I completely wrote off his dumb ass
View Quote

The guy is pretty sharp, sharp enough to have his own successful shop.  I believe he was a tank mechanic in the army then worked for MB before going out on his own.

With that being said, something about him rubs me the wrong way but I do find his channel fun to watch sometimes regardless if I agree with him on what he's doing/saying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The guy is pretty sharp, sharp enough to have his own successful shop.  I believe he was a tank mechanic in the army then worked for MB before going out on his own.

With that being said, something about him rubs me the wrong way but I do find his channel fun to watch sometimes regardless if I agree with him on what he's doing/saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here...i do watch his channels though...especially when Mrs. Wizard shows up.

they would crown he king aurthur after
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

you mean this light?

https://techstop.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_11/20231102_091652.thumb.jpg.da012e6edf99af89d67fbc43835f2d80.jpg

the one that tells you there is an electrical malfunction and you need to have the system serviced soon?

Not one of these died suddenly, many people drove them over 60 miles before the 48v system was discharged and locked out for safety

I know how the goddamn system works. I have both diagnosed and repaired them, including unlocking a 48v system that had gone below 10% because the customer kept charging the 12v battery on a trickle charger.

the one that now has a warranty extension that will take care of, most likely all of these before they're out of warranty?

c'mon man.
View Quote

Yep, that one. That message doesn't look very urgent to me.

I got this similar message last week:
" Sport differential malfunction. Please contact service."

Did I need to stop driving immediately? Apparently not because it cleared itself a week later. If the electrical system fault is that big of a deal they should have a more urgent message - like the message that comes on in red right before the entire system dies suddenly: " electrical system malfunction. Please stop vehicle safely"

Just because you know the difference between the urgency of messages that are the same in English doesn't mean that non Audi repair people do.

How about this message, that I also got last week?:
"Steering Malfunction. Adapt Driving Style. Larger Turning Radius"

That sounds rather urgent to me. However, it wasn't because it cleared itself the next day.

ETA: as far as the warranty, I guess you've never seen that scene from Tommy boy? A guaranteed piece of shit. Warranty is great and all but when my car is broken all the fucking time I'd rather have no warranty on a car that works. Had a warranty on my Ram. Used it zero times. Think about that for a second... Less reliable than a Ram!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Did I need to stop driving immediately? Apparently not because it cleared itself a week later. If the electrical system fault is that big of a deal they should have a more urgent message - like the message that comes on in red right before the entire system dies suddenly: " electrical system malfunction. Please stop vehicle safely"

Just because you know the difference between the urgency of messages that are the same in English doesn't mean that non Audi repair people do.

That sounds rather urgent to me. However, it wasn't because it cleared itself the next day.

ETA: as far as the warranty, I guess you've never seen that scene from Tommy boy? A guaranteed piece of shit. Warranty is great and all but when my car is broken all the fucking time I'd rather have no warranty on a car that works. Had a warranty on my Ram. Used it zero times. Think about that for a second... Less reliable than a Ram!
View Quote

the warning lights on dash are color coded, hoping you can reason through it.

Green- Go
Yellow- follow directions and proceeded with caution.
Red- Stop as soon as safe to do so.

the charging system fault is in yellow because you can proceed with caution.. not drive it forever hoping it "fixes itself"

it's not there to diagnose the vehicle, its there to alert the driver there is a malfunction that should be checked.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah and it sucks when you put the new filter on from the top, then get distracted forget to tighten it from the bottom.  Luckily I only drove around the block and saw the oil streak.

I liked my A4.  Did everything myself, but became a pain in the ass after 100k like everyone here says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you change your own oil?

Because if you buy an Audi you won't for long. Plastic belly pans with fasteners every 6 inches, awkward filter positions, pain in the ass to wipe everything up after the change.

If you're not a DIYer the above doesn't apply. Be selective where you get your service done and it will be a good car. A maintained Audi is nice-but so is a Cadillac(for the 6 weeks before the plastics go to shit).

I drive a 2021 SQ5 and I don't have to use a jack to change the oil. Filter is on top, and a port to vacuum the oil out of the pan is on top.

OP I've had 8 Audi's dating back to a 1999 2.8L 6 cylinder A4 with a 6 speed. 4 A4's, 3 S4's, and my current '21 SQ5. You'll really like them if you drive distances. I absolutely adore the air/sports suspension on my current SQ5.

Wait until it's a customer car, your shop doesn't have the filter on hand, thankfully you looled before draining anything.

So the customer says ,No problem, I'll get one"  leaves and goes to the parts store.

But Fram(I know) had a bad run of filters that week and every fucking one has a cut in the gasket.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Green- Go

the charging system fault is in yellow because you can proceed with caution.. not drive it forever hoping it "fixes itself"

it's not there to diagnose the vehicle, its there to alert the driver there is a malfunction that should be checked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Green- Go

Duh. I did proceed with caution. I planned to call the service department first thing in the morning, given that it was 11:00 p.m. when this morning went off. My point is that there shouldn't be a yellow warning for the electrical system fault. It should go immediately to red.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/

Sorry your cars suck
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#37]
We owned a German car once. Every single thing cost multiples more to fix than anything else we have owned.

Never again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We owned a German car once. Every single thing cost multiples more to fix than anything else we have owned.

Never again.
View Quote

In my experience that's because the shops can charge higher rates and they do and they feed you some kind of bullshit like not just anyone can work on these cars.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Duh. I did proceed with caution. I planned to call the service department first thing in the morning, given that it was 11:00 p.m. when this morning went off. My point is that there shouldn't be a yellow warning for the electrical system fault. It should go immediately to red.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/

Sorry your cars suck
View Quote

How the hell do they list Mini as #3??? I know a handful of people who have owned various Minis and ALL of them had trouble with them. All of them. I know my sample isn't really "data", but still...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I drove a Q7 to NYC and back several years ago in one of those big rain storms that we had.
I have never sat on a more uncomfortable seat in my life, I was sitting on it practically sideways
on the return trip. I was in the car for about 8 total hours owing to flooding and traffic but I would
never buy one. When I sat in my old Lexus RX350 it was like sitting on a marshmallow in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorry your cars suck
View Quote

1.did the vehicle stop immediately upon seeing the light?

2. Did the vehicle become damaged as a result of driving for a short while after the light came on?

Both answers are no. Proceed with caution seems as if it was correct in this case.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought a 2015 Q5 with 93,000 mile about a year ago. Now at 110,000 miles I need new rings ($4,000) fix.  Tune up was also expensive.  Fun car to drive and it has a great sound system, but won’t buy another.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve owned a half-dozen of them. All turbocharged. Some modified.

The topside oil extractor is key for oil changes if you DIY. Use the correct VW spec oil and an OEM filter. Dealer service is expensive. Parts are more expensive than American and Japanese. Get a VAG-COM from rosstech, it will pay for itself very quickly.

Between 90K-150K is the danger zone. Coolant leaks, gaskets, seals, anything that deteriorates from age and heat cycles.

They are an unbeatable combination of a top AWD system and high quality interiors. Their body and paintwork is bombproof. Zero rust, my 2015 Q7 still looks almost brand new inside and out, and I do a shit job of cleaning it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Before you decide, check out the Mazda CX90. I did today and it is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dude if you're going to be churning out the miles get a soul less aisain car. They have it down pat. Low maintenance and bomb proof reliability.  And some of the Camary, and Accords in sport trim look pretty sharp.
View Quote

My DD has quite a bit of soul….. And it’s Asian.

Lexus IS500 RR Racing exhaust valves open

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Slow ass computer system from 2005.
It literally takes over a minute to Bluetooth connect to my phone.
Child door lock (electronic, of course) broke
Surround cameras, broke
Collision assistance sensor, broke
Dumb ass engineers designed the alternator to be combined with the "starter generator" and required it to be liquid cooled. Unfortunately they failed chemistry class and use seals that fail... Resulting in coolant intrusion... Resulting in complete electrical system failure. It left me stranded on the side of the highway with my kids, at night, in the middle of fucking nowhere Eastern Colorado. Imagine a car in which literally everything is electric except the actual combustion engine and you have zero electrical system.

18,000 miles.

At least it's fast.

And the dealer has cold brew nitro coffee on tap.

ETA: 2019 Ram 1500 hemi. Zero issues in 52k miles. Hell, the Audi has been less reliable than my 69 Mustang (mileage unknown,) or my 87 Porsche (80k miles)
View Quote

Holy shit!!! Did not know, my buddy just picked one up. Thank you for the honest insight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bought a 2015 Q5 with 93,000 mile about a year ago. Now at 110,000 miles I need new rings ($4,000) fix.  Tune up was also expensive.  Fun car to drive and it has a great sound system, but won’t buy another.
View Quote

2.0T engine?

There was a bad run of oil control rings around that time, and a class action lawsuit. You probably could have badgered Audi of America into paying for the rings, or part of it.

Tune up = change the spark plugs and air filter. DIY, it’s not hard.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice interior, Quattro is awesome.

Maintence is the key. Oil changes every 10k.

A4 after 2016: 4 bangers are good, but V6, both diesel and petrol are time bombs.

Before 2016 (B8) - avoid petrol engines, eat lot of oil.

There are Audi models to buy and models to avoid. Know what you are buying.

And MAINTENANCE. Remember it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

2.0T engine?

There was a bad run of oil control rings around that time, and a class action lawsuit. You probably could have badgered Audi of America into paying for the rings, or part of it.

Tune up = change the spark plugs and air filter. DIY, it’s not hard.
View Quote

Oil consumption has been a constant problem even after ring updates. Its largely a oil quality problem.

Vehicles i service, using correct oils do not develop oil consumption issues.  Jippylube, all bets are off.

I have had very good results with consumption cars using this flush.

BG Dynamic Platinum Engine Restoration Service kit https://a.co/d/faAmfw4

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top