Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Good snek!
No step snek!
Pest control snek!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s not a corn snake and it’s not a grey rat snake. It’s a young black rat snake. Black rats are typically grey when young and greys are typically light tan when young.  Red and yellow rhyme hasn’t applied to many corals I’ve caught throughout the US and has applied to many non-venomous I’ve caught - you can’t trust that saying. Many species in the genus nerodia can display a triangular head and be mistaken for an agkistrodon.  In general, a lot of those sayings or identification characteristics of venomous snakes are true, however identifying snake species well only comes with a whole bunch of experience and even the pros have a hard time now and again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a garden hose. No need to worry, they are harmless.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@HeyCoach

Did he get his dinner frog?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@HeyCoach

Probably, before it turned cold I didn’t see near as many tree frogs or skinks around the back porch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a rat snake.
View Quote

Good snake.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I sorta see Hershey Kisses, either juvenile Copperhead or Corn Snake?
View Quote

A copperhead is not climbing a brick wall.  

Rat snake.  A good snek.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
A cute one!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So, not a corn snake?
View Quote

No

Corn snake and rat snake are in the same family.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Eastern Milk Snake
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Yous fancypants. All of yous.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
He is doing you a solid by checking out all those cracks for bugs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

I guess we'll never know
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why not?
View Quote

Copperhead snakes cannot climb flat faced brick walls.

Like all pit vipers they stay on the ground.

Rat snakes and their kin the corn snake can because they often eat nested birds and eggs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Rat snake I caught on my front porch a week ago.

Good snek.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Rat snakes and their kin the corn snake can because they often eat nested birds and eggs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Pit vipers climb very well, for a variety of reasons. Being opportunistic, they are also bird eaters.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pit vipers climb very well, for a variety of reasons. Being opportunistic, they are also bird eaters.
View Quote

Please share a picture of a copperhead climbing a brick wall.  Flat faced wall like OP posted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had this happen before

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do you know?

I'd like to be able to tell them something other than "some guy on the internet said".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks to me like a juvenile corn snake, definitely some type of rat snake and not venomous. 100% harmless.

How do you know?

I'd like to be able to tell them something other than "some guy on the internet said".

"Some gun owner guy on the internet said", that will surely work
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Jackass snake?

Naw, you wouldn't have had to ask.

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Found a small starved Copperhead on my bedroom floor about 2am one morning.  Got up to take a piss and noticed an odd shape against the light colored carpet.  Turned on the light and it was a damned Copperhead.  Didn't want to leave it to get something to kill it, and it be gone when I get back.  So I looked around for something.  Finally smashed its head good with a chair leg.  Threw it out the back door.

Best we could figure, it was hidden in a potted plant that the wifey brought in from outside a few weeks back.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You need a spider around to help with you snek problem.

https://i.imgur.com/mFOnABX.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It looks to me like a juvenile corn snake, definitely some type of rat snake and not venomous. 100% harmless.
View Quote

Not 100% harmless. If you eat it, and choke while doing so, you could die. Same as if it's undercooked and you get food poisoning.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please share a picture of a copperhead climbing a brick wall.  Flat faced wall like OP posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You stated, "Like all pit vipers they stay on the ground" which is absolutely false. Pit vipers climb very well, great swimmers too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Tarantula viper
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not venomous. It's a good guy. Look at the shape of its head. It looks like a little rat snake
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like one I caught a few years ago. Great snakes but I have been bitten trying to pick them up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It’s not a corn snake and it’s not a grey rat snake. It’s a young black rat snake. Black rats are typically grey when young and greys are typically light tan when young.  Red and yellow rhyme hasn’t applied to many corals I’ve caught throughout the US and has applied to many non-venomous I’ve caught - you can’t trust that saying. Many species in the genus nerodia can display a triangular head and be mistaken for an agkistrodon.  In general, a lot of those sayings or identification characteristics of venomous snakes are true, however identifying snake species well only comes with a whole bunch of experience and even the pros have a hard time now and again.
View Quote

Anywhere a North American coral could survive, an escaped, pet South American coral could survive-and most S.A. corals are colored red on black.

If you find a red and black snake, be damn sure what it is before you pick it up. The exotics would be very rare, but remembering the possibility is a hell of a lot cheaper than treating a bite.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]
harmless kind
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Copperheads are good tree-climbers.  Wouldn't be surprised if they could climb brick walls.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/copperhead-snake-bites-lowes-customer.jpg

Copperheads are good tree-climbers.  Wouldn't be surprised if they could climb brick walls.
View Quote

Mmmmmmm....tasty cicada.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
The White oak phase is a beautiful natural color variation of gray rat snake that occurs in various areas of the Florida panhandle. Unlike other  Elaphe obsoleta subspecies, spiloides retains the blotched juvenile pattern and coloration throughout life. Compared with the typical gray rat snake the White oak phase is defined by a light overall look of light gray blotches on a silver, almost white background.

As you move west in the Florida panhandle, the rat snakes tend to have more elongated blotches and a darker mask pattern on the head. In some ways they look somewhat similar to the Texas rat snake (E. o. lindheimeri) that occurs further to the west. Many of these snakes are rather dark and unappealing, but we have managed to located a few that show the light White oak coloration. We have an impressive five and a half foot adult male from Escambia County that we sometimes call our "White oak Texas rat" because in head shape and pattern he looks a lot like lindheimeri, but with the classic Florida silver coloration.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The White oak phase is a beautiful natural color variation of gray rat snake that occurs in various areas of the Florida panhandle. Unlike other  Elaphe obsoleta subspecies, spiloides retains the blotched juvenile pattern and coloration throughout life. Compared with the typical gray rat snake the White oak phase is defined by a light overall look of light gray blotches on a silver, almost white background.

As you move west in the Florida panhandle, the rat snakes tend to have more elongated blotches and a darker mask pattern on the head. In some ways they look somewhat similar to the Texas rat snake (E. o. lindheimeri) that occurs further to the west. Many of these snakes are rather dark and unappealing, but we have managed to located a few that show the light White oak coloration. We have an impressive five and a half foot adult male from Escambia County that we sometimes call our "White oak Texas rat" because in head shape and pattern he looks a lot like lindheimeri, but with the classic Florida silver coloration.
View Quote

We need a "Like" button.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]
One with scales
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Rat snake
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Corn snake
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mmmmmmm....tasty cicada.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/copperhead-snake-bites-lowes-customer.jpg

Mmmmmmm....tasty cicada.

Giant cicada!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK a black widow took out a snake.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How do you know?

View Quote

Jeeper is a snake SME. If he says then it is
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Non poisonous.  Let him live.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.arizonareptile.com/img/anerythristic_corn_snake_baby_l.jpg

It's a harmless (and beneficial) corn snake.
View Quote

^^ that
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Giant cicada!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmmmmmm....tasty cicada.

Giant cicada!

Small copperhead?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Eastern Garden Hose!
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@HeyCoach

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@HeyCoach

I caught a lot of hell from the wife because "I Let" the snake eat her toad.  That sounded better before I typed it...

Had a free range Bufo running around the back yard.  Dogs would foam at the mouth after a taste.  Then one day a garden snake had caught the toad by a hind leg.  She suggested I relocate the toad.

Instead I took pics every so often while the slow motion drama took place.  Snake somehow opened it's jaws and swallowed the toad.

Ironic that the next time I saw the snake it was in the front yard.

Paladin
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How do you know?

View Quote

North American venomous snakes generally do not climb vertical walls.( I have never seen one do this in almost 50 years of catching snakes)

The markings are the markings of a juvenile rat snake.
You have several species in Florida. Almost all rat snakes have the same colorations as juveniles. They typically will get their adult markings after about a year in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like a rat snake.
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top