BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.

Call it something else as in "Cincinnati Style Chili" or "Pennsylvania Style Bean, Corn and Mushroom Chili"......but not "Chili".

If someone says they made a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and they hand me chopped hotdogs on a Kings Hawaiian roll.......it aint a Philly cheesesteak.
No matter what your DEI office says, just because you think its a Philly, doesn't make it a Philly.

Tacos aren't made with Wonder bread and ketchup.
Barbecue doesn't come in a can.

For fucks sake be a man and understand that Asian Inspired Beyond Meat Tofurkey Fusion with Beans is not Chili.

Chili is a simple meat dish. It's chile peppers, seasonings and BEEF. Not deer, we call that "venison chili", not bear, that's "bear chili". And for heavens sake no bell peppers.....that's the sign of a pussy who don't know better. If there is green in your Bowl of Red, son, you fucked up. Habaneros, Ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers.......add nothing but heat and are the sign of a cook trying to hide his flavorless chili with heat. There ARE traditional  chile peppers and they are perfect.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't we just accept the fact that there's chili that has beans in it, and there's chili that doesn't...

No.

Call it something else as in "Cincinnati Style Chili" or "Pennsylvania Style Bean, Corn and Mushroom Chili"......but not "Chili".

If someone says they made a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and they hand me chopped hotdogs on a Kings Hawaiian roll.......it aint a Philly cheesesteak.
No matter what your DEI office says, just because you think its a Philly, doesn't make it a Philly.

Tacos aren't made with Wonder bread and ketchup.
Barbecue doesn't come in a can.

For fucks sake be a man and understand that Asian Inspired Beyond Meat Tofurkey Fusion with Beans is not Chili.

Chili is a simple meat dish. It's chile peppers, seasonings and BEEF. Not deer, we call that "venison chili", not bear, that's "bear chili". And for heavens sake no bell peppers.....that's the sign of a pussy who don't know better. If there is green in your Bowl of Red, son, you fucked up. Habaneros, Ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers.......add nothing but heat and are the sign of a cook trying to hide his flavorless chili with heat. There ARE traditional  chile peppers and they are perfect.

Challenge accepted.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The very words you use belie your premise.  Why would "chili with meat" exist, were it not for the first existence of chili without meat?  And without meat, what would chili be but pepper sauce?
View Quote
Yes actually.  It's chili paste.  You combine it with beef to make a stew known as chili con carne, or more colloquially, chili.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Beans are a low cost protein multiplier, and they belong in chili. 100%
View Quote

Beans are a low cost protein multiplier, FOR THE POORS and they DO NOT belong in REAL chili.     0%

If you would adulterate Chili with Beans, next you'll  to Substitute then into you hamburger or Pizza.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Pray for the 1st post, his brain has been exposed radiation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The very words you use belie your premise.  Why would "chili with meat" exist, were it not for the first existence of chili without meat?  And without meat, what would chili be but pepper sauce?  No, beans have always, and will always, be a part of proper chili.

Scotchy hath spoken.

(And as an aside, the very best chili I have ever tasted, [and I say this in complete seriousness as a man who has lived in New Orleans for a quarter of a century, and who has tasted MANY a great chili, with and without beans, from New Orleanians and native Texans alike,] was made by my vegetarian father with textured vegetable protein......and beans.)

View Quote

Dear Chili Historian,

Your narrative is spicy and thought-provoking. But consider: those rugged cowboys roamed vast ranges without a bean in sight. Their chili was simplicity: meat and peppers under the Texan stars.

The term "chili with meat" might sound redundant, but perhaps it's an ode to tradition, a stand against bean-filled variations. A nod to the original, beanless essence?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The very words you use belie your premise.  Why would "chili with meat" exist, were it not for the first existence of chili without meat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The very words you use belie your premise.  Why would "chili with meat" exist, were it not for the first existence of chili without meat?

First "chili with meat" is redundant. Chile peppers with meat, also called chile con carne IS what is commonly called Chili.  So "chili with meat" means "chiles with meat with meat".

Do you know what etouffee is? Would you agree that removing the shrimp, crab or crawdads from your etouffee means you no longer have etouffee? Of course you do.
Would you agree that adding beans to your etouffee would change the dish? Of course you do.

And without meat, what would chili be but pepper sauce?  No, beans have always, and will always, be a part of proper chili.

Scotchy hath spoken.

Scotchy don't know shit.
Without meat it wouldn't be chili, it would be a base of chile peppers and seasonings.
"Proper" has a meaning that includes the word "genuine"......and adding something not originally part of a recipe doesn't make it proper.

(And as an aside, the very best chili I have ever tasted, [and I say this in complete seriousness as a man who has lived in New Orleans for a quarter of a century, and who has tasted MANY a great chili, with and without beans, from New Orleanians and native Texans alike,] was made by my vegetarian father with textured vegetable protein......and beans.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round as I unveil the unspeakable travesty that has befallen our beloved culinary world: beans in chili. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Beans? In chili? How bad could it possibly be?” Brace yourselves.

First and foremost, let’s consult the annals of chili history. Chili con carne, a dish with roots deep in the heartland of Texas, was birthed in a world where the simple marriage of meat and spices was more than sufficient. It was a symphony of flavors, an ode to the prowess of the cowboy, and an anthem to the heat of the desert. But somewhere along the line, someone thought, "You know what this perfect dish needs? Beans." That's like saying the Mona Lisa needs a nose ring or Beethoven's 9th Symphony needs a rap solo. It's an affront to tradition and an absolute culinary catastrophe.

Beans are traitorous little nuggets of deceit. They masquerade as meaty morsels but are nothing more than filler, distracting from the rich tapestry of flavors that chili inherently provides. They're like that one person who insists on singing along at a concert even though they're tone-deaf; they just don’t belong.

And from a texture perspective? Oh, don’t even get me started. A good chili should have a harmonious consistency, with the meat being the star. Introducing beans into the mix is like inviting a marching band to a ballet performance. Suddenly, there's chaos, discord, and a lot of people questioning their life choices.

Not to mention the gastrointestinal repercussions. Beans are notorious for their, ahem, musical side effects. Is that what we want for our chili eaters? A symphony of flatulence? I think not!

Lastly, think of the children. Do we want to raise a generation that believes beans belong in chili? What other culinary monstrosities will they come to accept? Pineapple on pizza? Milk before cereal? The horror!

So, next time someone suggests adding beans to chili, remember this impassioned plea. For the love of all things sacred in the culinary world, JUST SAY NO. Let us preserve the sanctity of chili, untainted and bean-free, for generations to come.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dear Chili Historian,

Your narrative is spicy and thought-provoking. But consider: those rugged cowboys roamed vast ranges without a bean in sight. Their chili was simplicity: meat and peppers under the Texan stars.

The term "chili with meat" might sound redundant, but perhaps it's an ode to tradition, a stand against bean-filled variations. A nod to the original, beanless essence?
View Quote

Uhhhh........beans were a staple on cattle drives. Dried beans. They didn't grow, pick them on the trail, but cooked dried beans. It was a cheap protein that didn't spoil on the trail.

Meat was a luxury and if not fresh, was heavily salted.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dear bean advocate, while I acknowledge your argument about beans as a "low-cost protein multiplier," let us not forget the esteemed realm of chili purists. Chili is the food of gods, transcending mere mortal concoctions. Beans, however, have long been the fare of the poors.

Adding beans to chili is akin to wearing socks with sandals at a fashion show or serving boxed wine at a wine tasting. They might fill the pot and the belly, but they reduce the dish's noble essence.

So, before championing beans in chili, recall: just as a racehorse isn't meant for farm labor, chili isn’t meant for beans. Keep beans in their simple stews, and chili in its regal splendor.
View Quote

I appreciate your perspective, candor, and articulate response sir. Chili is indeed the food of poors, that is where it began. Cook with what you have in a quality pot over a fire you made. That is money. I grow my own beans and elevate it to something my family request. Pulled pork, pot roast, smoked ham….whichever you choose with beans. Garden tomatoes, garlic, onion, herbs and smoke as jus go in every batch of chili I make, yet to have anyone not come back for seconds and it cost pennies. Beans should be soaked and al dente.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beans are disgusting filler for poors who can't afford a true all meat chili.

The same goes for rice, etc.

You may ADD beans TO chili, but beans do not MAKE chili, chili.

now... /thread.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Seriously, ya'll who love chili need to read A Bowl of Red

I bought my hardback copy for $1.98 at Half Price Books in Dallas about twenty years ago.

Not only does he discuss the history and origins of chili, but the founding of the Chili Appreciation Society International, chili powder, tamales and enchiladas, pinto beans and cornbread.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate your perspective, candor, and articulate response sir. Chili is indeed the food of poors, that is where it began. Cook with what you have in a quality pot over a fire you made. That is money. I grow my own beans and elevate it to something my family request. Pulled pork, pot roast, smoked ham….whichever you choose with beans. Garden tomatoes, garlic, onion, herbs and smoke as jus go in every batch of chili I make, yet to have anyone not come back for seconds and it cost pennies. Beans should be soaked and al dente.
View Quote

You ever wonder why?
They still hungry after eating vegetable soup.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just think of how good it would be without the beans.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not rating this thread until the Ohio guys chime in.
View Quote

@TheWhitePill
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Basically. Why is that so hard to fathom? When I think of chili, this is what I think of:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Texas-Chili-SQ2-2021.jpg

View Quote

Ok so this is a beef stew thread, thats different than what I thought. Beef stew goes good with potatoes
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I would absolutely try it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm open for all the things
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread has me considering adding beens to my red wine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I get it though.  I'm rewatching falling down.  It's refreshing that things are more real.  So chili without beans is like the 2020s version? Where with beans is like the legacy racist version?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok so this is a beef stew thread, thats different than what I thought. Beef stew goes good with potatoes
View Quote

What stews are made with rehydrated and fresh chilis?

Why do we call it chili to begin with?

Oh yeah...

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chili has beans, corn, and noodles.
View Quote
WTF? Over?

Corn?

Noodles?

You must be from Ohio
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The early European Texans we all learned about in school? Thanks for the reminder.
View Quote
you must have gone to a Government school.  There were Spanish and fur traders out west a hundred years before Texas was a thing.  They left us excellent written records.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I made this chart eons ago, and most of the people in this thread seem to follow the pattern...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/11120.JPG
View Quote
FIFY
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@TheWhitePill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not rating this thread until the Ohio guys chime in.

@TheWhitePill

I don’t put beans in my chili.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Let's be honest.  Beans are an extender in chili.  It's expensive to use nothing but meat in chili.  Throw in a large can of beans, and you have a cheap source of protein.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chili is a beef stew variant, the only thing it has in common with spaghetti sauce is absolutely nothing.
View Quote

They both probably have garlic in them. About it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I can almost guarantee that the original "chili" made by the so called Chili Queens in San Antonio area very likely had beans. At least some had beans.

Eat with beans, don't eat with beans. Who cares.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Off to buy beans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Everything my wife cooks is a Culinary Masterpiece. She puts beans in chili. End of story.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Chili with beans is a meal.
Chili without beans is a condiment.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round as I unveil the unspeakable travesty that has befallen our beloved culinary world: beans in chili. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Beans? In chili? How bad could it possibly be?" Brace yourselves.

First and foremost, let's consult the annals of chili history. Chili con carne, a dish with roots deep in the heartland of Texas, was birthed in a world where the simple marriage of meat and spices was more than sufficient. It was a symphony of flavors, an ode to the prowess of the cowboy, and an anthem to the heat of the desert. But somewhere along the line, someone thought, "You know what this perfect dish needs? Beans." That's like saying the Mona Lisa needs a nose ring or Beethoven's 9th Symphony needs a rap solo. It's an affront to tradition and an absolute culinary catastrophe.

Beans are traitorous little nuggets of deceit. They masquerade as meaty morsels but are nothing more than filler, distracting from the rich tapestry of flavors that chili inherently provides. They're like that one person who insists on singing along at a concert even though they're tone-deaf; they just don't belong.

And from a texture perspective? Oh, don't even get me started. A good chili should have a harmonious consistency, with the meat being the star. Introducing beans into the mix is like inviting a marching band to a ballet performance. Suddenly, there's chaos, discord, and a lot of people questioning their life choices.

Not to mention the gastrointestinal repercussions. Beans are notorious for their, ahem, musical side effects. Is that what we want for our chili eaters? A symphony of flatulence? I think not!

Lastly, think of the children. Do we want to raise a generation that believes beans belong in chili? What other culinary monstrosities will they come to accept? Pineapple on pizza? Milk before cereal? The horror!

So, next time someone suggests adding beans to chili, remember this impassioned plea. For the love of all things sacred in the culinary world, JUST SAY NO. Let us preserve the sanctity of chili, untainted and bean-free, for generations to come.
View Quote
This is the way
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can almost guarantee that the original "chili" made by the so called Chili Queens in San Antonio area very likely had beans. At least some had beans.

View Quote
Doubtful.  Beans require soaking, beef was cheap and readily available and easier to cook.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't make me post a pic of my vegan chili.  No meat.  Just beans!
View Quote
Get a rope...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#37]
The OP is clearly from Ohio so therefore any and all good advice given by him and the people that agree with him are hereby null and void.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
You make a very strong case against beans, OP.
I'm convinced.
And Vegan Chili is a frikkin abomination.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doubtful.  Beans require soaking, beef was cheap and readily available and easier to cook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think beef was cheap, even on a cattle drive.  Nor do I think the requirement of soaking the beans kept cookie from making them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think beef was cheap, even on a cattle drive.  Nor do I think the requirement of soaking the beans kept cookie from making them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1800s Texas, beef was in fact plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Beans belong in chili.
View Quote

First post definitely did not nail it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Says the Yankee heathen.

Beans do NOT belong in chili
View Quote

Born and raised in TX. Chili has always had beans in it where I grew up. I like beans, I like beef, I like chilis, I like them all together in a dish we call "Chili"...
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can't we just accept the fact that there's chili that has beans in it, and there's chili that doesn't.
View Quote

You can’t even get Tex to admit that chili is actually Mexican and not cowboy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Beans give me gas...
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I approve of MSKSS' perspective regarding chili.

Chili beans is an entirely different dish mistaken by many Americans to be chili.  As any Mexican if (s)he puts fry-joes (frijoles) in chili.  You'll get a

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You can't even get Tex to admit that chili is actually Mexican and not cowboy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't we just accept the fact that there's chili that has beans in it, and there's chili that doesn't.

You can't even get Tex to admit that chili is actually Mexican and not cowboy.
It's neither Mexican nor cowboy, it's TexMex.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love that the FPNI and Texans have to see it.
View Quote

This made me laugh.  My chili has multiple kinds of beans, and it's fucking epic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I made chili yesterday.  No fucking beans, they just displace where more meat, onions, and jalapeños could be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What exactly is the sin? How does the rice violate the chili or offend the eater? The rice has clean hands and is deserving of absolution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, while I appreciate the geometrical nuances of your argument, suggesting that two foods touching 'vertically' versus 'horizontally' absolves one of culinary sins is, frankly, preposterous.

What exactly is the sin? How does the rice violate the chili or offend the eater? The rice has clean hands and is deserving of absolution.

Adding cheap rice was definitely my move, back in college.  It's how one meal got stretched into two.

Adding the really really cheap 25 cent macaroni and cheese to the relatively expensive hamburger helper, made with venison, stretched it out a bit too.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top