Keep it up dad
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Broke thread
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing has been more irritating lately than having to miss workouts because of other people's crap keeping you too busy. Squeezed in a shoulder workout last night, trying to get those numbers up but shoulders have always been a struggle for me.

Legs today for my lunch workout. I got up to 315 a little while back but my form and depth were suffering so I backed it off to clean that up. I only have about 270 lbs of plates in my garage gym anyway so I can really focus on the form.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I discovered my ribs are still a little tender from an assassination attempt by icy front steps last week still got in a decent session though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#6]
Last night's sandbag workout after squats and calves was brutal,  when it was over I laid in the floor for a bit using the sandbag as a pillow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait, it finally happened??!

It's *just* Fitness now?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By therex:
Wait, it finally happened??!

It's *just* Fitness now?
View Quote

Yep, self defense has its own morgue now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Part of me wants some structure. Then another part of me just likes walking into the gym with absolutely nothing in my head.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I reached a new level of lazy today I guess.

I decided I want to do some deadlifts, just to shake things up a bit....I ended up doing rack pulls off the lowest pin, because it raises the bar up about 3 inches and makes it easier to load the plates.

They did not feel good, things were tight, and I had a hell of a time getting my hamstrings in on the action.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I tore my quad a few weeks ago.  So I’m in PT to get that stronger.
I got my doc to let me do upper body stuff and avoid legwork. I needed a note because my boss and I share a gym and wanted to avoid an awkward conversation.

Today at PT the therapist wanted to incorporate rows. At the gym I do a row with 155.  She started me off at 40. 😂😂😂.

I hate PT. So goddamn much.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Well, I reached a new level of lazy today I guess.

I decided I want to do some deadlifts, just to shake things up a bit....I ended up doing rack pulls off the lowest pin, because it raises the bar up about 3 inches and makes it easier to load the plates.

They did not feel good, things were tight, and I had a hell of a time getting my hamstrings in on the action.
View Quote

I've only done rack pulls a couple times and it was years ago, I had trouble with them also. They should have been easier but I was making them more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
I tore my quad a few weeks ago.  So I’m in PT to get that stronger.
I got my doc to let me do upper body stuff and avoid legwork. I needed a note because my boss and I share a gym and wanted to avoid an awkward conversation.

Today at PT the therapist wanted to incorporate rows. At the gym I do a row with 155.  She started me off at 40. 😂😂😂.

I hate PT. So goddamn much.
View Quote

At least she's hot??
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to enter a new circle of hell then just make one of these.

Threw this together this morning to use as a Nordic Curl station.

I can't even do one and my legs hurt now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#15]
If you want to enter a new circle of hell then just make one of these.

Threw this together this morning to use as a Nordic Curl station.

I can't even do one and my legs hurt now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294791/20230225_123135_jpg-2724783.JPG
View Quote

Nice I like the DIY approach.  I posted a few pages ago about getting into Nordics.  You might want to figure out a way to get a band hung around standing chest height behind you.  Then you can wrap the band around your chest while doing the curls for assistance.  I can't do a single without resistance help.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just going to use progressions.

The Harop Curl works them from the hip end, and should work as a progression into using knee flexion.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Ill try those tomorrow

Squatted 405x3 after doing a bit more warming up than I was planning on. Then did lunges for the first time in a long time
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Just did the rope less jump rope for 3 minutes, 1 minute on, one off when I got up. I'm going to try to make it a habit to do every morning before I have my coffee and progressive overload it. Maybe after a couple of months of practice I'll be able to do it with the real jump rope.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm staying at a reasonably nice hotel for several days, the gym has two treadmills, 1 elliptical, 1 bike, and kettlebells up to 30#.  That's it, nothing more.

It's forcing me to embrace cardio, so I guess that's okay.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:30:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#20]
It's not your treadmill....do farmer's walks on it
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not your treadmill....do farmer's walks on it
View Quote

Better yet, walk on it with the power off.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure to be hung over in the morning, farmers walks with no power will burn that right off
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been messing around with 5x5 work since January, and I was playing with some deload protocols. Deloading and then working back up at 5x5 is annoying, especially with something like the press when it happens a lot.

I've used the Greyskull method in the past with good success, which is 2x5 and 1xAMRAP, so as you work back up you are setting a new rep PR with each weight, but it's pretty low volume.

I decided on my press deload I had to do recently I would switch it to that, then add two backoff sets at 80%...but the backoff set reps are required to match the AMRAP reps. So if you get 7 reps on your AMRAP, your backoff sets are required to be 7 reps.

I haven't had to do a full deload cycle yet, but I'll report back when I have to again.

The AMRAP acts as a very good pre-exhaust set, so the weights on the backoff sets are "easy" but tough enough, without just cranking away at 5 reps each time. It was nice being able to focus on strict form and keep rest times low to end the exercise.

The math on it usually gives you more volume in tonnage too, which should accumulate with each cycle.

I have most of this month to play around with it, then I'll have to be getting back to work, so we'll see how sustainable it is with a heavy daily workload.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Just ordered a rogue power bar, should be a nice upgrade from the now bent cap barbell. Still not sure which sandbag I should order. The rogue strongman bag I was going to order said something in the description about not being meant for slams and I don't want to drop $100 on something I'll end up breaking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a 60 lb trap bar on a whim today.

A lady and guy team carried it out front and asked if I needed help carrying it out...hopefully they were impressed by my ability to farmer carry 60 lbs to my truck.

Anyway....now what do I do with the thing?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#26]

A lady and guy team carried it out front and asked if I needed help carrying it out...hopefully they were impressed by my ability to farmer carry 60 lbs to my truck.

View Quote

My 90 lb Titan camber bar pissed everyone off that touched it from China to my doorstep.  No Team Lift markings.  Box was totally trashed but somehow made it here.  There's probably a Fedex guy still out on workman's comp from that fucker.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
I like to use the trap bar, assuming it has high handles, to overload my deadlift. I can go roughly 100#'s more using a tbar w/ high handles than I can with a straight bar. The starting position allows for significantly more weight while accumulating less spinal fatigue. That's all assuming the bottom isn't your dealift failure point.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
I like to use the trap bar, assuming it has high handles, to overload my deadlift. I can go roughly 100#'s more using a tbar w/ high handles than I can with a straight bar. The starting position allows for significantly more weight while accumulating less spinal fatigue. That's all assuming the bottom isn't your dealift failure point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jcatcg:

I'm gonna try it with low handles tomorrow.

I was playing around with it a bit. Wearing lifting shoes it feels like it loads the legs similar to a barbell hack squat, but without having to put your arms behind you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Rogue R3 shorty that was supposed to ship yesterday. It is delayed. It is difficult to make it to the gym with my current schedule so this was the best solution. I have a basic bench setup now and 340 pounds in plates. Going to the Home Depot tonight for flooring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm gonna try it with low handles tomorrow.

I was playing around with it a bit. Wearing lifting shoes it feels like it loads the legs similar to a barbell hack squat, but without having to put your arms behind you.
View Quote
Yeah the tbar can really move into a more squat-like movement depending on how you setup. That's one of the reasons I'd recommend new lifters don't use one until they know what deadlift and squats actually feel like so they can decide  intelligently how they want to use one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Go on long walks with it
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Went with the rep fitness sandbag 50-125lbs. Should be good for what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Okay, I might be an outlier here...but I think using the standard height that a conventional deadlift feels a lot more stable than with the hex bar. I messed around with them today.

I'm guessing it's because I don't have the wing span for it when it gets heavy, can't get a good brace when it's pulling me in half.

I do like the tall handles though as more of a squat variation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
Went with the rep fitness sandbag 50-125lbs. Should be good for what I'm looking for.
View Quote

If what you are looking for is feeling like you're dying...then a sandbag is a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#35]

If what you are looking for is feeling like you're dying...then a sandbag is a good choice.
View Quote

I'm going to be doing it at the end of my deadlift/squat days so death is a legitimate possibility. Going to do floor to shoulder alternating shoulders amrap for 1 minute on 1 off for 10 minutes. I'll start at 50lbs and work my way up. If, you know, I don't end up in cardiac arrest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm going to be doing it at the end of my deadlift/squat days so death is a legitimate possibility. Going to do floor to shoulder alternating shoulders amrap for 1 minute on 1 off for 10 minutes. I'll start at 50lbs and work my way up. If, you know, I don't end up in cardiac arrest.
View Quote

I've done that exact thing after deadlift days...be careful, it smokes your lower back if you aren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#37]

I've done that exact thing after deadlift days...be careful, it smokes your lower back if you aren't paying attention.
View Quote

I'll try, honestly don't expect to make it the full 10 rounds the first couple weeks. I'll surprise myself if I do. If I get so smoked I can't brace, I'll call it a day. I don't want to catch an injury doing cardio.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#38]

I'll try, honestly don't expect to make it the full 10 rounds the first couple weeks. I'll surprise myself if I do. If I get so smoked I can't brace, I'll call it a day. I don't want to catch an injury doing cardio.
View All Quotes

I did them as ladders too.

So first minute something like 8 or 10 per shoulder, rest. Top of the minute go again with one less...continue until you've done 5 minutes straight.....then go eat tacos or something.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll have to see how it works out. I really want to up my conditioning this year. Hopefully I'll drop a little fat without losing strength in the process.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Part of me wants some structure. Then another part of me just likes walking into the gym with absolutely nothing in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tXZmY0aK3s
View Quote

I'm all about structure. Sunday bench, Monday squats, Wednesday press, Friday deads.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm been hitting it hard and not really dieting but only weigh 212#s because of running between 8-12 miles a week.  Lifts are pretty solid and did 18 pull-ups in a row the other day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Okay, I might be an outlier here...but I think using the standard height that a conventional deadlift feels a lot more stable than with the hex bar. I messed around with them today.

I'm guessing it's because I don't have the wing span for it when it gets heavy, can't get a good brace when it's pulling me in half.

I do like the tall handles though as more of a squat variation.
View Quote

Same
I've only used them a few times, and I did not like it on the low bar. They felt weird in my upper back, shoulders, I'm sure I was far down on the learning curve though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

He's right you know ....
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
I'm been hitting it hard and not really dieting but only weigh 212#s because of running between 8-12 miles a week.  Lifts are pretty solid and did 18 pull-ups in a row the other day.
View Quote

Baller, takes me over two sets the hit 18 reps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#45]
My new barbell was waiting for me when I got home tonight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#46]
My new barbell was waiting for me when I got home tonight.
View Quote

If you've only had a cheapie prior to that one...you're gonna enjoy it.

I had one of the cheap ones for awhile and I actually broke the sleeves off it. I had to tape it too because the knurling was so bad.

I felt like spider man after getting a TPB.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#47]
The one I've been using is a cap barbell from the 90s that I bent the first time I squatted 355. It's rusty and the screw holding one of the sleeves on keeps backing out. I'm excited to use the new one on Monday. It's good to over a 1k, I'll never put a bend in it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#48]
The one I've been using is a cap barbell from the 90s that I bent the first time I squatted 355. It's rusty and the screw holding one of the sleeves on keeps backing out. I'm excited to use the new one on Monday. It's good to over a 1k, I'll never put a bend in it.
View Quote

I ended up welding mine solid, then giving it to a friend when he bought some weights.

I still have the allen key sitting on top of my rack because every workout I would have to tighten a sleeve back up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#49]

I ended up welding mine solid, then giving it to a friend when he bought some weights.

I still have the allen key sitting on top of my rack because every workout I would have to tighten a sleeve back up.
View All Quotes

I kept a few Allen keys in my gym bag when I lifted at this one commercial gyms. Every bar they had was garbage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:26:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#50]
This morning's workout started off strong, and like a kid with ADD I fucking wandered off and started dicking around....gotta just follow the sheet. I have to go look at a job today and my brain started to wander on me and before I knew it I was doing sissy squats and light deadlifts rather than just hitting some backoff sets and then taking a shower.

Either way, my squat is up 70 lbs from January, and my weight is up 14 lbs....feeling a lot better about myself.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top