Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Free ftmfw.  What kind of GHD you getting?

DT, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say, but you should definitely hook me up with free meds
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone care that I can't low bar squat? Show of hands please... High bar is very natural for me. I have the mobility to get all the way down. I actually have a small shelf to set the bar on. I hate low bar. The bar slips off my bony ass flat back. It feels unnatural and it just seems to put more stress on my shoulders. I feel like I'm trying to fight the weight to stay put and not slide off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
Free ftmfw.  What kind of GHD you getting?

DT, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say, but you should definitely hook me up with free meds
View Quote

Didn't ask. The box has Get Rx'd and Rogue equipment so expect it's gonna be nice but well used.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Does anyone care that I can't low bar squat? Show of hands please... High bar is very natural for me. I have the mobility to get all the way down. I actually have a small shelf to set the bar on. I hate low bar. The bar slips off my bony ass flat back. It feels unnatural and it just seems to put more stress on my shoulders. I feel like I'm trying to fight the weight to stay put and not slide off.
View Quote

I am the opposite. Low bar feels great on my back. And I have problems getting tight with highbar. Just do what feels right for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I joined a gym the other week. I am working till 11:30 at night and have no energy when I get home and lifting prior to work is far from convenient. Its nice to stop there on the way home. I only have one purpose when I am at the gym, at home I have a bunch of priorities and lifting wasn't really a high one with everything else going on. Plus it is nice to have access to stuff I can't afford for my home gym like a safety squat bar.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MrKasab:
I joined a gym the other week. I am working till 11:30 at night and have no energy when I get home and lifting prior to work is far from convenient. Its nice to stop there on the way home. I only have one purpose when I am at the gym, at home I have a bunch of priorities and lifting wasn't really a high one with everything else going on. Plus it is nice to have access to stuff I can't afford for my home gym like a safety squat bar.
View Quote

But can you use chalk there?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

It took me quite a while to get comfortable with the low bar, but I wanted to give it an honest effort before I made a choice.  Since then I have never done a high bar again.

But yes, for a while it felt like it wasn't going to stay and it took a while to be comfortable with my hands on the bar back like that.  It was the first step for me getting increased mobility in my hands and arms too.  That led to me working on getting into a front rack position and now I'm working on OHS.  Baby steps for old fat weak guys...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I prefer high bar as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw some cops doing a PT test this morning while I was working out.  They went into the yoga room to do pushups and situps.  I didn't watch that, but I saw their 1.5 mile run around the track.  Out of 5 guys, 3 of them walked the entire thing from the start.  Not even a power walk.  Just straight up walked.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Saw some cops doing a PT test this morning while I was working out.  They went into the yoga room to do pushups and situps.  I didn't watch that, but I saw their 1.5 mile run around the track.  Out of 5 guys, 3 of them walked the entire thing from the start.  Not even a power walk.  Just straight up walked.  
View Quote

Stop looking at them, that creates joinder.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Relevant pic from YLYL

I did my 5/3/1 with BBB accessories again this morning, ended up with 85 squats and 50 dead lifts, in addition to the other stuff.  I'm usually pretty well bounced back by noon or so but it's 3:30 and I still can't walk well.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

PT qualifications for police officers, detectives, traffic, dispatch, swat, brass, and clerical can all be different. Some might need a fast running qualification. I know our local SRT team (swat), jogs past my office after they lift a few times a month (no idea how often they train). Some just need to be able to get out of a car, and flop back in for physical qualification.

I will say that a few of the loppy cops I knew, could sprint much faster than I could. Then add the adrenaline dump you get from someone turning and burning, and these guys could haul ass. I'm not sure they could live through a marathon, but they had some explosive sprinting capability. I guess if you can't run a long way, learn to overcome them quick.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Swimming has been going... blah lately. I need a damn coach to improve my damn stroke. I'm stuck at like 2:00/100m...

Oh... then something fun happened

I RAN A MILE TODAY!

--

What I noticed -- Hoka One Ones + Treadmill = running on a trampoline.

Foot didn't hurt

HR in the 150's at 10minute miles... shitty when 2 months ago It was in the 130's during the same...

Hope it doesn't hurt anymore, and i can slowly jack the miles up. I miss running, squatting, and deadliftng... =(
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By darktide:
Swimming has been going... blah lately. I need a damn coach to improve my damn stroke. I'm stuck at like 2:00/100m...
Oh... then something fun happened

I RAN A MILE TODAY!
--
What I noticed -- Hoka One Ones + Treadmill = running on a trampoline.

Foot didn't hurt

HR in the 150's at 10minute miles... shitty when 2 months ago It was in the 130's during the same...
Hope it doesn't hurt anymore, and i can slowly jack the miles up. I miss running, squatting, and deadliftng... =(
View Quote

Are you still going to make that marathon this fall?  That's a whole lotta training still to do.

It looks like I'm running another duathalon this fall, right here in town which means lots of elevation change.  I've run my last 3 5Ks without any training runs at all, but I think I'd better run a few hills before this one.  The bike ride will be easy, it's a course I ride all the time anyway.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If I can get to a 10 mile run in the couple weeks  I'll still be able to run the Detroit marathoner October.  If that falls into place I think I can still do the build up for the bad water 50miler in March.

Still looking for a meet around October too...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]

PT qualifications for police officers, detectives, traffic, dispatch, swat, brass, and clerical can all be different. Some might need a fast running qualification. I know our local SRT team (swat), jogs past my office after they lift a few times a month (no idea how often they train). Some just need to be able to get out of a car, and flop back in for physical qualification.

I will say that a few of the loppy cops I knew, could sprint much faster than I could. Then add the adrenaline dump you get from someone turning and burning, and these guys could haul ass. I'm not sure they could live through a marathon, but they had some explosive sprinting capability. I guess if you can't run a long way, learn to overcome them quick.
View Quote

When I went through the academy, the 1.5 mile time for my age group (males under 28) was 11:58.  I forget what the max time for the older guys was, but it was at least another two minutes for the oldest group.  Our SWAT qual is 11:58, and they run it biannually.  Similarly to your experience, one of the most disgusting guys in my academy was actually a pretty decent runner, considering he was as wide as he was short.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:51:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#18]
I'm becoming a believer in foam rolling. I've been having some hip pain that's kept me from squatting a couple of weeks. During my warm-up, even air squats were causing pain. Rolled the crap out of it for around 5 minutes with a  hard foam roller. No pain at all during my squat session.

Also, #HighBarBros
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By MeatBag:

I'm becoming a believer in foam rolling. I've been having some hip pain that's kept me from squatting a couple of weeks. During my warm-up, even air squats were causing pain. Rolled the crap out of it for around 5 minutes with a  hard foam roller. No pain at all during my squat session.

Also, #HighBarBros
View Quote
You just exchange and compress pain when you foam roll.

Lotta torture pain during the rolling, less pain for the next few hours...

In my professional opinion, it's because you wear out your pain sensors...  Yep. That's it.

In actuality soft tissue work is good to do, not only for acute pain, but also for preventative and generalized movement benefits as well. I equate it to be similar to yoga...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By darktide:
If I can get to a 10 mile run in the couple weeks  I'll still be able to run the Detroit marathoner October.  If that falls into place I think I can still do the build up for the bad water 50miler in March.

Still looking for a meet around October too...
View Quote

That beach run has gotta be a killer on your legs, though. Running in soft sand, with a constant slope to one side. At least it will be a really scenic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This!!!

Just like I prefer to hold the shot/stone like Brian Oldfield does, around the spine.

Everyone thinks Im a moron, but my throws prove otherwise.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Dropped into the CrossFit gym my girlfriend has gone to in the past. Never been. They're not very big, and a very gymnasty oriented outfit, the rig takes up most of the center of the room. The coach for the evening was like 'Ok, work up to a heavy deadlift set of 3.'

"What percentage am I shooting for?" And the coach was like 'uhhh...heavy.'

"Fine. Can I use straps? My left hand is kind of fucked up." She gave me a weird look and was like "yeah sure."

Warmed up with 225.

Loaded 315, and she's like "Yeah, looking great, good job!"

365, up and down, haven't even busted out my straps yet. Coach has stopped saying anything, she's just watching. Switched to mixed grip.

405, starting to struggle a little bit now, they've slowed down, but I'm strapped in so I can't let go. Girlfriend laughs, "Stop showing off, you did deads the day before yesterday."

End at a pair 425 triples, just in time for the gym owner to come in. We share a

I later got dirty looks from the other class because they (mostly ladies) had run out of 45's to do their own deadlifts with, cuz I was using half of them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Figured out how to make a protein shake with coconut oil. You have to melt it first.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
Figured out how to make a protein shake with coconut oil. You have to melt it first.
View Quote

How'd it taste?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Are your teeth coated?  That's like eating lamb and having a cold drink, it cools the fat and you've got it coating your entire mouth and throat, but at least the coconut oil will melt again.  Lamb fat stays there till you die, ruining all food and making even a good steak taste like an old wool sweater.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#26]

How'd it taste?
View All Quotes

How'd it taste?

Good. The coconut oil is a little sweet. I also put in on table spoon of heavy whipping cream.

It didn't coat my mouth because for some reason the coconut oil stays liquid. I was very happy about that as I tried it in goo form and it turned out horrible.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
WHY?

Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By therex:
WHY?  

Jesus.
View All Quotes
WHY?  

Jesus.

To hit muh fat goal, bro.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
It bugs me that it is more like coconut grease than an oil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Pushed myself this morning in a competition workout to the point of forcing myself to continue.

4 rounds for time of:
500 m row
10 wall balls (20# to 12 ft)
135# hang cleans

I'm a good rower, given my size.  But that kicked my ass and made me fight myself mentally.  I was able to finish just under 13 mins.  But I was slower than both of my training partners.  In the last round I lost the mental fight and rested several times where I shouldn't have.  I think I got my heart rate up a little too high too early and gassed out too soon.  Any of you have success in tracking your heartrate with one of those fitbit thingies?  Though even knowing my heartrate, I'm not sure how I can keep it down.  Any ideas or tips?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
View Quote

That's why I was excited that when I melted it it stayed in liquid form.

I also found and easy way to weigh it. Put jar on scale. Take spoonful out. Read scale. Profit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#33]

I also found and easy way to weigh it. Put jar on scale. Take spoonful out. Read scale. Profit.
View All Quotes

It is rumored that Newton invented calculus based on his experience with coconut oil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Pushed myself this morning in a competition workout to the point of forcing myself to continue.

4 rounds for time of:
500 m row
135# hang cleans

I'm a good rower, given my size.  But that kicked my ass and made me fight myself mentally.  I was able to finish just under 13 mins.  But I was slower than both of my training partners.  In the last round I lost the mental fight and rested several times where I shouldn't have.  I think I got my heart rate up a little too high too early and gassed out too soon.  Any of you have success in tracking your heartrate with one of those fitbit thingies?  Though even knowing my heartrate, I'm not sure how I can keep it down.  Any ideas or tips?
View Quote

I'm really curious about the answer to this.  I have been really gassing myself in my circuits for the past few weeks and when I was laying on the floor trying to breathe I was wondering what my heart rate was and how I was going to do a better job of keeping it down.  I lost the mental fight today, I just plain gave up with just a few reps left.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL'ed at the coconut oil talk.  

Today, I sold my preacher curl bench to make room for my GHD.  Such a sad day today.  

RIP
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SCW:

I'm really curious about the answer to this.  I have been really gassing myself in my circuits for the past few weeks and when I was laying on the floor trying to breathe I was wondering what my heart rate was and how I was going to do a better job of keeping it down.  I lost the mental fight today, I just plain gave up with just a few reps left.

View All Quotes

4 rounds for time of:
500 m row
135# hang cleans

When I get shots every week they put the HR finger monitor on to get my BPM.

My Fitbit ALWAYS agrees with their number.  Hence I think it's pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]

It is rumored that Newton invented calculus based on his experience with coconut oil.
View All Quotes

Coconuts are tropical and England is a temperate climate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

A swallow could carry it, maybe grab it by the husk?  I don't think coconuts are migratory.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

It is a simple question of weight ratios.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#41]

I later got dirty looks from the other class because they (mostly ladies) had run out of 45's to do their own deadlifts with, cuz I was using half of them.
View Quote

I have that problem with squats sometimes when I drop in. I don't get dirty looks from the ladies though, more like something like this:

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Maybe they lift, bro.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#43]

I have that problem with squats sometimes when I drop in. I don't get dirty looks from the ladies though, more like something like this:

http://media2.giphy.com/media/hhHcFH0xAduCs/giphy.gif
View All Quotes

Pfft.  Me too, but I'm old, fat and weak.

But then, the only woman I'm lifting with is my wife, so that's a big confidence booster.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#45]

But then, the only woman I'm lifting with is my wife, so that's a big confidence booster.

View All Quotes

My workout partner is my wife too. She's not impressed with my lifts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

How long have you been saving that .gif for the right context?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Hank:

A four ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut.
View All Quotes

Maybe they lift, bro.

A four ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut.

Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it together?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#49]

No, they'd have to have it on a line
View All Quotes

Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it together?

No, they'd have to have it on a line

and you guys aren't counting for wing displacement when they're actually flying/flapping..
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top