User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

10-4

help me design that cabin.

it's just a random pic i found on the google machine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

That design begs for a deck where the steps are.
10-4

help me design that cabin.

it's just a random pic i found on the google machine.

25' wide?
28-30' long to account for front deck/porch (this assumes the conex containers are 20')
About a 3/12 pitch roof.  Will that work in MT?  I'm also considering snow load on top of both conex boxes.  I wouldn't want a flat roof with that much snow catching capability up there.
Living space looks to have about 500SF
I see a chimney in the right conex

I would rethink this plan for your winters

See if North 40 in Columbia Falls has any recommendations for a 600SF home
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Shipping containers are fools gold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

That design begs for a deck where the steps are.

Shipping containers are fools gold.

I agree.  You still have to frame walls for electric and cut for windows and all.  It's a lot of extra work.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And it passed code inspection?
View Quote

Who cares, and why do you ask outside of them selling the place? Government shouldn’t be sticking their nose in it outside of a sale IMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I guess the moral of this story is to be irresponsible and live beyond your means, but if you do this according to this TikTok video, all will be forgiven and everything will be okay?
View Quote

Or…
You could look at it as a story about people learning from their mistakes, making changes to right their ship, and not whining and expecting govt or someone else to bail them out.

Content with what you can actually afford? Priceless.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
View Quote

I've lived in apartments way smaller than that when I was younger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're really really rural, sure. But the tax man cometh for your shed now because you had to get you some 'views'. If you'd kept your mouth shut, you'd have been able to keep enjoying it.

It's just a matter of time now before you see people renting sheds in their yards to people. Then none of will be able to have a shed, at least not without 'inspections' to make sure that there's no income.

Fuck, this country is swirling in the toilet. We're not free at all, and it happened at the local level.
View Quote

Have you been talking to my wife lol?  She said almost the exact same thing the other day haha
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who gives a shit?  It’s good enough.  People lived in tipis here for a thousand years or whatever.  

Overbearing Codes and their power trip enforcers are why houses are so expensive.  Remember that next time you remodel your kitchen and the 2023 NEC requires you to have a gfci on your fridge outlet.  Which is constantly tripped by your efficient Samsung inverter fridge.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That's not bad looking, It would not be very hard to finish that off, you could do most of the work yourself.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
So the base cost is $25K. Conservatively, they had to add at least $20K stuff on top of it so really it was at least 45K.

In that price range, one can get many campers, buses, class A, class C trailers.. completely done and plug and play.

But they rode the real estate wave, which up to a certain point meant everything is going up and appreciating.

calling it a shed is just click-bait.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So the base cost is $25K. Conservatively, they had to add at least $20K stuff on top of it so really it was at least 45K.

In that price range, one can get many campers, buses, class A, class C trailers.. completely done and plug and play.

But they rode the real estate wave, which up to a certain point meant everything is going up and appreciating.

View Quote
link(s) to plug and play camper vans and buses?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.
And paid off their obligations instead of just filing bankruptcy.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you think the construction of a $50k camper is anything close to these builds, you haven't spent much time around either. And a camper is going to be less than half of the square footage.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of places don't have any of that silly crap.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been thinking of buying a shed to use as a backyard office so my husband and I don't kill each other LOL.

We have a very small house (1100 sq ft) that was fine for the two of us until we started working from home. He's now retired, I'm still working, and that makes things.....interesting ...around here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A place south of me is knocking out "tiny' homes which are selling well enough to keep them busy.  They're using cedar and enough of it that you can't find any cedar lumber in the area.   I've heard 60K-80K is the average price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/Screen_Shot_2022-07-17_at_10_48_23_AM-2456371.png

View Quote

I'm 99% sure I cruised by that place a couple of days ago on my way to Hayden.

Lot's of people living in sheds on 5 acre lots around here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of buying a shed to use as a backyard office so my husband and I don't kill each other LOL.

We have a very small house (1100 sq ft) that was fine for the two of us until we started working from home. He's now retired, I'm still working, and that makes things.....interesting ...around here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Attractive lady
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you think the construction of a $50k camper is anything close to these builds, you haven't spent much time around either. And a camper is going to be less than half of the square footage.
View Quote

I'm currently living in a $38k trailer with my family because we sold our house.

I guarantee that you could be happier in that shed for the same money (I think those sheds used to be ~$20k, plus $18k in building out the inside) if you can do the work yourself and shop for deals on supplies. A real toilet and shower stall in the "shed" and I'd probably be happy if that was the only thing finished inside of it. Lol

RVs are built like garbage.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Code Inspection? We don't got no code inspection. We don't have to show you any stinking code inspection!
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I could live in a shed. Although, if I bought a second one...
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There has to more to the story. That had to put another 100k or so building that full kitchen, wood floors, walls, etc in that "shed".
View Quote

Yeah, that thing being a "shed" is a stretch.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Big piece of property, lil shed, lil tight ass yoga instructor
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Big piece of property, lil shed, lil tight ass yoga instructor

Big piece of property? Yes please, I saw some very nice plots in the pretty parts of Montana and Idaho, before everything went wacky.
Lil shed? I've read they really aren't good choices, but a built out 40' HC container would be fun, theoretically. Ten feet on one end for a gun room, 5-10 feet on the other for a bathroom, patio on top and a fixed, full length side roof to park my suburban under and sit under. Or to get really minimal a snow rated carport and live in my Sub underneath. I could even screen it in to keep the bugs mostly out. Feel like going camping? Open screen, drive out, close screen.
Crazy yoga instructor? No fucking thank you, I'll take my solitude.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
need a foundation with a basement for the mechanicals...and the
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seriously? Who gives a shit. It's a shed they chose to live out of.
View Quote

The plains Indians were not wiped out by removing the buffalo herds as commonly believed, they were brought to heel by permits and inspections.  How the hell do you get an outlet every 4 feet in a teepee?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Minimalist lifestyle endorsed by the hard left. "You will own nothing and be happy." The state will probably foreclose for back due property taxes.
View Quote

Plenty of people are flooding to the more minimalist/self sustaining lifestyle and are FAR from being leftists.

Regardless of what beliefs they hold, there’s a lot of people waking up and realizing what a thin veneer of civility exists and that our government and infrastructure isn’t all its cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think I could live in a shed. Although, if I bought a second one...
View Quote

You could write a symphony in the shed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#29]
16x32, 2 story available through HD for $19K. Thats approx 1k sqft of "storage"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Best-Barns-Roanoke-16-ft-x-32-ft-Wood-Storage-Building-roanoke1632/206007242

Ive seen these at a Home Depot in Texas.
a TWO STORY Home Depot Tuff Shed Conversion (YOU CAN LIVE IN!!)
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's the definition of Tiny Home?  I don't know that I'd even call 860sf a tiny home.  My first apartment was 900 sf, and it was pretty good size.  There are lots of single family homes, and condos that are approximately 800 sf that sell for a shit ton of money around here.

View Quote

Building code states 400 sq ft or less.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That is pretty nice, my wife and I could definitely live in something like that.  That said, it isn’t a shed.  It’s a small house built by a company called “Tuff Shed”.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Believe it or not some of these areas out here are pretty lax on living requirements.

In certain areas in GA the only requirement for residency is 200sqft lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#33]
A few in my area have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A place south of me is knocking out "tiny' homes which are selling well enough to keep them busy.  They're using cedar and enough of it that you can't find any cedar lumber in the area.   I've heard 60K-80K is the average price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/Screen_Shot_2022-07-17_at_10_48_23_AM-2456371.png

Those are park models, classified as RVs. Just under 400 sqft.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.

View Quote

Exactly. It's funny how many people here seem to hate them for it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good for them but the eye of Sauron is about to focus on their tiny home and how it’s permitted.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess how everyone who lives in a rural area knows that you don't? ??
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Some of you people are impossible to please.

These two got in a bad spot and then used creativity to get out of it, without harming or victimizing anyone.  And then they told their story which is a change from just bitching on the internet how they’ve been victimized.

Negativity by default isn’t hard-earned wisdom; it’s just being a miserable cuss.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That code stuff if often nonexistent in many rural areas.
View Quote

I went down to my county seat to better understand what the code and permit requirements were where I now live and the gal in the office, who handles that stuff, asked me about where I lived. When I told her she simply said "honey you don't have to worry about permits up there. You just do what you need to do".
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

These two got in a bad spot and then used creativity to get out of it, without harming or victimizing anyone.  And then they told their story which is a change from just bitching on the internet how they've been victimized.

Negativity by default isn't hard-earned wisdom; it's just being a miserable cuss.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

In rural Ga.?

Its 40 miles in either direction to a big city from my place.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#46]
“After being debt-free and saving up some money, they were able to flip the shed they had bought on the great piece of land, ultimately selling it in December for $312,000.”

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good for them.

View Quote

Agree.

At face value, this is a good story about people honoring their debt instead of looking for a way out of it. If it took monetizing their TikTok channel (whatever it’s called), fine - they used ingenuity to get out of debt.

More people should do this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I thought for a second they lived at Home Depot in a shed. Reminded me of an animated documentary in which Chuck Mangione lived in a Mega Lo Mart.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Who gives a shit?  It’s good enough.  People lived in tipis here for a thousand years or whatever.  

Overbearing Codes and their power trip enforcers are why houses are so expensive.  Remember that next time you remodel your kitchen and the 2023 NEC requires you to have a gfci on your fridge outlet.  Which is constantly tripped by your efficient Samsung inverter fridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
These two got in a bad spot and then used creativity to get out of it, without harming or victimizing anyone.  
And then they told their story which is a change from just bitching on the internet how they’ve been victimized.
Negativity by default isn’t hard-earned wisdom; it’s just being a miserable cuss.
View Quote
Yeah. People are great for getting in debt, but usually suck at getting out.
Not sure why this story would get anything other than a...  
I swear, some folks would read a story about a former drunk who'd been sober for 10 years and call him a "quitter".

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top