BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

so like it doesn't let you run over geese in the middle of the road? asking for a friend
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That and the nanny shit. Take Toyota for example... You can't even buy a truck now without
Toyota Safety Sense.

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.

so like it doesn't let you run over geese in the middle of the road? asking for a friend

It tries to prevent you from running over the 2 y/o that runs out between 2 cars that you can't see them as they are too short.

Yes, the parents should be watching the kid, however, I'd prefer not to run them over regardless of who's fault it is that they got loose.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What do chip shortages have to do with soyboi's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is GD.

You're a soyboi if you want more than steel wheels, manual windows, no AC, vent windows, manual vinyl bench seat, plastic floors, AM radio, and a floor mount hi beam switch.  Oh, for 25K or under.

Quoted:

lol wut

American designed vehicles have steadily been getting more reliable, not less. The good ole boys from Detroit designed and made less reliable trucks.

Can't tell if this is satire or you're over 70.

Yep, can't remember the last time an American truck folded in half because the frame rusted.  My Taurus (I know, not a truck) went 220K, sold it, and that goy totaled it at 250K.  Was still running like a top.  My Equinox went 220K and I traded it in .  Was still running like new.  The new Terrain I expect to go quite a few miles also.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I;d like that, seems like it would give you more time to watch netflix on your phone and text
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muh 12" infotainment screen.

yep....and all the dumb shit no one asked for.

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck

In before someone equates you pointing out many accessories are dumb to you wanting crank windows and an AM radio.

Well for one I don't need a dumb ass console shifter than can fold down and get stuck and render your truck inoperable....

My biggest gripe with new cars is how they take things that used to be simple and mechanical and replace them with digital/electronic controls that add to the vehicle cost and create expensive headaches when they fail.

That and the nanny shit. Take Toyota for example... You can't even buy a truck now without
Toyota Safety Sense.

What's that?

It's basically Toyota's version of Subaru Eyesight.

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

I;d like that, seems like it would give you more time to watch netflix on your phone and text

Lol.

My wife's car will steer you back into your lane if you cross the paint.

But it isn't consistent and relying on it would be bad.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
You would have a point if back up cams weren't mandated by the government.
If the screen has to be there regardless, you might as well utilize it for other things, and this is coming from a guy that doesn't personally want that shit in his own car either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless American auto companies can afford to buy out Micron or Samsungs silicon factories there was no other viable option to avoid the chip shortage.
View Quote

Production numbers here disagree with you.  It can be done.  Not easy, but possible.  Adapt and overcome.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It tries to prevent you from running over the 2 y/o that runs out between 2 cars that you can't see them as they are too short.

Yes, the parents should be watching the kid, however, I'd prefer not to run them over regardless of who's fault it is that they got loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.

that's a good idea.

I am hoping that the NTSB will allow auto makers to make the fronts of the cars how they want if they have the auto braking stuff.

I mean if the car is going to stop from hitting the pedestrian, then they don't need to make the fronts pedestrian safe anymore
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck

In before someone equates you pointing out many accessories are dumb to you wanting crank windows and an AM radio.

Well for one I don't need a dumb ass console shifter than can fold down and get stuck and render your truck inoperable....

My biggest gripe with new cars is how they take things that used to be simple and mechanical and replace them with digital/electronic controls that add to the vehicle cost and create expensive headaches when they fail.

Toyota Safety Sense.

What's that?

It's basically Toyota's version of Subaru Eyesight.

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

Lol.

damn....I guess a few more years we have to wait
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you look at how these things are selling it seems people really do want them, and they're willing to pay a premium. Smart move by marketing
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Production numbers here disagree with you.  It can be done.  Not easy, but possible.  Adapt and overcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless American auto companies can afford to buy out Micron or Samsungs silicon factories there was no other viable option to avoid the chip shortage.

I can go to any walmarts and buy a shit load of cellular phones right now, they have more computing power than what any Fjord truck would need. Yet here we are....
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you look at how these things are selling it seems people really do want them, and they're willing to pay a premium. Smart move by marketing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

can't sell what you dont have to sell
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Computers have been used in cars since the 50/60's
Long before "infotainment" systems
My question remains unanswered

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't need no chip to turn on my seat cooler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is this retardation.

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.

Seat coolers? That's some mighty fancy tech wizardry... you're still like 3 decades too new.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
If no one wants them why are they in demand?  Your entire thread is dumb and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seat coolers? That's some mighty fancy tech wizardry... you're still like 3 decades too new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.

naw I am saying you don't need 50 modules to make a truck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that's a good idea.

I am hoping that the NTSB will allow auto makers to make the fronts of the cars how they want if they have the auto braking stuff.

I mean if the car is going to stop from hitting the pedestrian, then they don't need to make the fronts pedestrian safe anymore
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

that's a good idea.

The key word is "tries".  If you're 15ft from the person going 25mph you aren't going to get stopped.  It may at least get you slowed down to 15mph so you have a better chance of not killing the person.

Also, the lane tracing that keeps you inside your lane gets pissed off if you take your hands off of the steering wheel to test it after awhile
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If the screen has to be there regardless, you might as well utilize it for other things, and this is coming from a guy that doesn't personally want that shit in his own car either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup camera screens can be placed in the rear view mirror.

No need for an iPad to be glued to my dashboard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If no one wants them why are they in demand?  Your entire thread is dumb and you should feel bad.
View Quote

This is not a thread about having cool screens this thread is about Fjord sucking
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should start putting the screens on the steering wheelS!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Put it this way...I was driving my wife's Outback and went to go around a guy who was turning right and the car decided I was too close to his car, thought I was going to rear end him (I was completely fine) and the computer jabbed the brakes hard enough to scare the fuck out of me and nose dive the car a bit.

Not cool. I don't want my car making decisions for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

Put it this way...I was driving my wife's Outback and went to go around a guy who was turning right and the car decided I was too close to his car, thought I was going to rear end him (I was completely fine) and the computer jabbed the brakes hard enough to scare the fuck out of me and nose dive the car a bit.

It's a worthwhile debate to talk about the sensitivity of some of these systems, but there's still value in them. As the tech improves we'll see fewer and fewer false-positives like yours while it will still be there for when it's needed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can go to any walmarts and buy a shit load of cellular phones right now, they have more computing power than what any Fjord truck would need. Yet here we are....
View Quote

Now we are using our brains!  Why can't that chip in that phone be certified for use in auto?  Time, money, lack of motivation?  Compete or die...
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is GD.

You're a soyboi if you want more than steel wheels, manual windows, no AC, vent windows, manual vinyl bench seat, plastic floors, AM radio, and a floor mount hi beam switch.  Oh, for 25K or under.
View Quote

You have a point
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Boomer thread hell yeah

How big is your Calvin pissing on Ford sticker on the back windshield?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now we are using our brains!  Why can't that chip in that phone be certified for use in auto?  Time, money, lack of motivation?  Compete or die...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly...find me one person who drives a 2021 car that doesn't have a cell phone. They just work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about the manufacturing capacity of the fabs making the printed circuit boards and chips along with production schedules.  FIFO and all that jazz unless someone wants to pay extra to move to the front of the line.  Redesigning a vehicle due to a single chip missing isn't really an option.

There was also at least 1 fab in Taiwan that went down recently due to a lack of water as they use a shitload of water and there's a drought going on there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll crack the screen when I'm honkin at dem bitches.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.thehomoculture.com/2020/09/08/the-2020-ford-f150-truck-is-for-the-active-gay-man/

Attachment Attached File

For the active gay man who loves the great outdoors – camping, fishing, hiking, or working gay guy who needs to haul stuff for home renovations or just a weekend getaway, the Ford F-150 has everything you need.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a worthwhile debate to talk about the sensitivity of some of these systems, but there's still value in them. As the tech improves we'll see fewer and fewer false-positives like yours while it will still be there for when it's needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the pre-collision system in Toyota's system so I'd think you should be able to do that in Subaru's as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cafe and emission standards had the most to do with complicated electronics
View Quote

There’s a chip that fails pretty regularly in the throttle body, lols.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you want a single, monstrously complex module that handles every system? Then when there's a failure god knows what you lose and it definitely won't be cheap to replace. Modular systems allow for easier troubleshooting, upgrades can be made more easily, when the system fails it's not going to result in the loss of every other system, packaging the various systems is easier, and a less complex module is cheaper to replace.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's about the manufacturing capacity of the fabs making the printed circuit boards and chips along with production schedules.  FIFO and all that jazz unless someone wants to pay extra to move to the front of the line.  Redesigning a vehicle due to a single chip missing isn't really an option.

There was also at least 1 fab in Taiwan that went down recently due to a lack of water as they use a shitload of water and there's a drought going on there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet Mainland China had somthing to do with that drought
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
You are a sad human being OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you want a single, monstrously complex module that handles every system? Then when there's a failure god knows what you lose and it definitely won't be cheap to replace. Modular systems allow for easier troubleshooting, upgrades can be made more easily, when the system fails it's not going to result in the loss of every other system, packaging the various systems is easier, and a less complex module is cheaper to replace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like the engineers just want to be lazy
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again, I disagree.  Remove/adapt content.  Money only gets you so far.  Ingenuity much further.  Not so great for sleep/stress but awesome for employment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many chips do you reckon Chiners weather machine has?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You are a sad human being OP.
View Quote

you and my wife apparently agree about somthing
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many chips in a prongles can?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many NASCAR commemorative plate sets do you own?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I actually sold my '16 4Runner last week and am waiting until I can order a '22 because I specifically want the BSM and Cross-Traffic Alerts.  They hurt absolutely nothing, can be disabled, and if used can save you from an accident.  Not to mention they lower your insurance rates.

It's going to be a long 6-8+ months until my new 4Runner arrives.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NASCAR died on 2/18/2001!!!

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

anyone can make a 4 cylinder that goes 300,000 miles pushing a 2000 lb car.

Not everyone can make an engine that toes 30,000 a day and lasts 300,000 miles
View Quote

30,000 toes is 3,000 feet, which isn’t even 1 mile.  You’re bad at either math or anatomy
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

30,000 toes is 3,000 feet, which isn’t even 1 mile.  You’re bad at either math or anatomy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone can make a 4 cylinder that goes 300,000 miles pushing a 2000 lb car.

Not everyone can make an engine that toes 30,000 a day and lasts 300,000 miles

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Again, I disagree.  Remove/adapt content.  Money only gets you so far.  Ingenuity much further.  Not so great for sleep/stress but awesome for employment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes a minimum of a year to build a new fab.  It's just like the primer shortage.  Companies can't just snap their fingers and have more capacity.

I stand by the fact that halfway through a product cycle is too late to redesign a vehicle due to a component shortage.  The ripple of that would be devastating to their own supply chain as well as parts catalog.  If that part just couldn't be made anymore and will never be available again that's different, however, a delay isn't enough cause to bring that hell on yourself as a company.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While you don't NEED to have them, they are used in modern design to reduce wiring.

Cars have a local area network, usually with a bus down each side of the vehicle for redundancy.  Sometimes it's copper, other times it's fiber optic.  The modules connect to the bus just like a switched computer network and provide local functions like lighting, windows, powertrain control, etc.  It saves a lot of wiring since it all doesn't have to run from the front to the rear of the vehicle.  When you hit the brake pedal on a newer car, the pedal switch tells a local module to send a command to the module at the rear of the vehicle that the lights actually connect to to illuminate the correct lamp.  When you hit the throttle, a position switch sends commands over the network to the ECM which commands the throttle body to open - no throttle cable.  My Terrain even has an electric parking brake so no manual cables are required for that and the vehicle makes sure that the parking brake is set when parking on a hill so the transmission doesn't park pawl lock.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than fleet/wholesale almost no one buys base model new vehicles.

Base model vehicle buyers seek cheap used trucks.

It's a fact and the OEMs know marketing way better than you do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

That's cool just make it an option, not a mandate. I pay cash for my vehicles and drive them until the wheels fall off. I don't want to be nickel and dime'd fixing electrical problems and replacing expensive touchscreens and monitoring sensors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It takes a minimum of a year to build a new fab.  It's just like the primer shortage.  Companies can't just snap their fingers and have more capacity.

I stand by the fact that halfway through a product cycle is too late to redesign a vehicle due to a component shortage.  The ripple of that would be devastating to their own supply chain as well as parts catalog.  If that part just couldn't be made anymore and will never be available again that's different, however, a delay isn't enough cause to bring that hell on yourself as a company.
View Quote

And yet here I sit doing just that

Believe me, its worth it.  Maybe we like hell, I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Real trucks don’t need fucking chips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real trucks don’t need fucking chips.

Chips have been in trucks since the early 70s
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.
View Quote

It’s probably required for vehicles sold in the US.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top