Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That is cool

The radiator clamp tool
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've recently joined the Knipex master race.

I am, however, about ready to throw my oscillating multi-tool in the trash.  It is made by Horror Freight, but is a quality one that much better?  Mine was busily sucking at trying to cut some laminate counter top this week as I installed a new sink.  Was debating about going with the Dremel Ultra Saw to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That tool is one of my favorites in my drawer filled with "love it, not sure where it came from, and no clue what it does" tools.

I always hope it will be just the thing one day though.

My legit tool recommendation...

https://www.reedmfgco.com/assets/Images/Products/Plastic-Pipe-Tools/Clean-Ream-Extreme-PPR-Plastic-Pipe-Fitting-Reamers/_resampled/SetRatioSize1280846-04524-PPR150-RGB.jpg

Saved me 90% of the cost of replumbing my pool manifold when I changed the pump, pump location, etc. I was able to reuse the valves, 90's, etc. What a godsend, and I just happened to see a picture of one and it clicked what it was so I searched. Had no idea such a thing existed. Just 2 days ago shared the concept with a friend and he was equally blown away.
View Quote

I had to go look it up.  

Save y’all the search term.  It’s a Reed PVC reamer.  I have absolutely no use for it.  However I find myself thinking I should join some PVC together to find a use for it.  

The YouTube videos are amazing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Yep, very handy item when I need one.  Since you didn't say what it was I won't spoil it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]

I've got a few of those.  My dad gave me the first couple when I was about 5 years old and building my Erector Sets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Knipex both the Cobra and the parallel pliers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good Screwdrivers

Whia is my current favorite
View Quote

KCTool is getting out of the Wiha business because they no longer meet their "European tool" criteria satisfactorily,  and are closing out all their Wiha products.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]

I have one of those.....never knew how much I needed one until I got it. Awesome!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Subbed, so I can drain my bank account with all these neat tools.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
1/2” DeWalt 20v Impact. Game changer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've recently joined the Knipex master race.

I am, however, about ready to throw my oscillating multi-tool in the trash.  It is made by Horror Freight, but is a quality one that much better?  Mine was busily sucking at trying to cut some laminate counter top this week as I installed a new sink.  Was debating about going with the Dremel Ultra Saw to replace it.
View Quote

I have the variable speed Dremel one. Has been pretty solid so far.
Thought about getting the Milwaukee M12 one but I don't use it enough to justify having a cordless one too.

Even though I have a whole pile of M12 and M18 stuff, I defer to corded tools when I am doing a lot of a task and power is easily accessible.
That said, I just did the subfloor in one whole room of my house with an M18 Fuel circular saw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought this a few seconds after I found out they existed, a most excellent and fun tool to use:  

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth
View Quote

Your avatar is so confusing to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Metal magnetic bowl.

So useful when putting together another piece of junk from China.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#17]
stubby ratchets are pretty slick. also really wanting to get a low profile 1/4" drive bit and socket set for tough to reach places
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Metal magnetic bowl.

View Quote

these l, too. also handy when forced to work in a spot over a patch of grass so ya dont lose fasteners
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Half the shit they offer in the Mil M12 line isn't really necessary, but are really nice to have around when the job comes up.

Outside of that, the last big change I had was getting dedicated drivers vs. using a drill for everything.  I still know a couple guys that insist on a drill being fine for everything.  It's absurd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Metal magnetic bowl.

View Quote

Dang it, you just reminded me I had one of those...but absolutely no idea where it went.  Probably stuck somewhere, lonely and wondering if I will ever return.

Otherwise, I will say one of the giant magnifying lamps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I gotta say,  a Dikfer.

When I was younger I had not idea what a Dikfer was,  but after I figured it out ... it's gotta be my favorite tool.   Sadly, not my most used though!
View Quote

I pulled that joke on a new guy at work, ex-coastie, he wasnt pleased.
The other new guy, ex-Army, laughed his ass off.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Having lived in Germany for a few years, I DEEPLY regret not buying an obscene amount of German made tools when there.  Local Wurth store was right outside where I worked

I'm a sad little man.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had to go look it up.  

Save y’all the search term.  It’s a Reed PVC reamer.  I have absolutely no use for it.  However I find myself thinking I should join some PVC together to find a use for it.  

The YouTube videos are amazing.
View Quote

I never knew these existed until now. Had I known, I would have saved myself $100's and untold trips to Lowes for repair fittings. Thanks for posting this!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Slide hammer set. Mine typically gathers dust for about 5 years at a time, but man, it's a life saver when you need it.
View Quote

Amen. Specifically the harbor freight kit, the nicer of the two they sell. It has an adapter that screws into a large set of vice grips. It’s a match made in heaven. If you can grip it, you can rip it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hookaroon for firewood processing…. Don’t know how I lived without one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54198/617AE04C-B6C4-4647-B615-5D7DBBD691FD-2094260.jpg
View Quote

I need to get a handle on mine. I've had the head for years and haven't gotten around to hanging it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Also this, it removes the valve caps on inner wheels on semis. Can’t get my gorilla hands in there to remove them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bought this a few seconds after I found out they existed, a most excellent and fun tool to use:  

https://i.imgur.com/gXywCoC.png
View Quote

HARD PASS

Mine broke after about 10 uses

The replacement they sent broke after about 20 uses

Got a RCBS collet puller and it works so much better and faster
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn it this place cost me money  Which is better the alligator or the cobras?

That hose clamp tool is genius and would of save a bunch of skin on my knuckles and swearing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knipex pliers. Literally any of them. I thought they were just overpriced channel locks. Nope they are all fantastic.

They live up to the hype.
I have a full set of cobras and pliers wrenches.
Their snips are also fantastic.

Damn it this place cost me money  Which is better the alligator or the cobras?

That hose clamp tool is genius and would of save a bunch of skin on my knuckles and swearing.

Cobra hands down
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
tag to spend money latter.

FWIW I just paid a $900 hospital bill for the cut on my hand the last time I used a holes saw to cut sheet metal.  I know, I should have been using a clamp instead of holding the sheet with my hand.  Blade caught, sheet became the blade...
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the Leica laser.   Best part is it uploading the measurements as I go to the app on my phone or iPad.
Attachment Attached File

I’d had a job that required 3/16 stainless steel rivets.  Pain in the ass with a hand operated gun.  I discovered pneumatic riveters and have never looked back.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Hammer head tip for an air hammer. Sure beats tamping driveway crack filler with a ballpeen among other things that could use a good beatin’.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Knipex pliers. Literally any of them. I thought they were just overpriced channel locks. Nope they are all fantastic.
View Quote

I can think of 1000 times that would have saved the day.  Vise grips are one of my favorite tools, life savers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I  bought my first cordless ratchet thinking it was just a novelty.
After the first time I used it, I was saying "where have you been my entire life"
I'm now the proud owner of 1/2'/ 3/8" fuel ratchets and the regular 1/4" drive.
My Snap-on air ratchet hasn't seen daylight in a few years now.

About half of my Mke electric tools
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157203/D487E426-968A-4C6D-8CC5-4D78E15F7752-1395046.jpg
View Quote

You need to run those through the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#35]
This is an air impact it does not ratchet 3/8” or 1/2”.Attachment Attached File

Also this is good stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hookaroon for firewood processing…. Don’t know how I lived without one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54198/617AE04C-B6C4-4647-B615-5D7DBBD691FD-2094260.jpg
View Quote

No idea they existed. Need one!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#37]
As much as I hate how flimsy it is, the ratchet my Wife bought me that spins the drive with rotation of the handle has saved my ass many, many times. When you can't move the handle in a tight spot, it's a lifesver. Allowed me to replace the alternator in the 4Runner and get to an a/c line bolt way down below the front of the engine on my Maxima. Like this but a little larger and made by Kobalt.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have the Leica laser.   Best part is it uploading the measurements as I go to the app on my phone or iPad.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/213346/7DC414FA-4335-4178-912D-C0A3810A8CD0_jpe-2094550.JPG

I’d had a job that required 3/16 stainless steel rivets.  Pain in the ass with a hand operated gun.  I discovered pneumatic riveters and have never looked back.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/213346/43C9536C-7486-4AD9-AE1E-BE5B206D29B8_jpe-2094554.JPG
View Quote

Did they go out of their way to make it look like a dildo?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Knipex for AR lower assembly is the best.  Simply squeeze those roll pins into place...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knipex for AR lower assembly is the best.  Simply squeeze those roll pins into place...
In reading some Amazon reviews there are quite a few negatives that describe newer versions of the pliers wrenches that don't work as well. It seems the older ones are more heavy duty. Any input on that or what to look out for? They are not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I discovered impact screwdrivers in my early 20's.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Pleasantly surprised at how well this thing works for ~$28

Garden Weasel Weed Poper Review by Mr Tims
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I discovered impact screwdrivers in my early 20's.

https://data.kleintools.com/sites/all/product_assets/hires/klein/70220_photo.jpg
View Quote

This is a must have for any tool box.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
tag to spend money latter.

FWIW I just paid a $900 hospital bill for the cut on my hand the last time I used a holes saw to cut sheet metal.  I know, I should have been using a clamp instead of holding the sheet with my hand.  Blade caught, sheet became the blade...
View Quote

OUCH

At least hold it with pliers....

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
View Quote

Both of these were purchased in the last year. I've done countless hundreds of projects that would have been so much easier with these tools.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I am in the process of building a new greenhouse using metal framing. Magnetic levels have been very useful.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So many to list, but I just bought my first oscillating tool recently and for the job I needed it for it save me about an hour and a lot of pain.  

Impact driver is a must.

Also these are fantastic.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61rMBXKHblL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

+1,000 regarding Knipex. Instantly made the two difficult and hair pulling steps in assembling an AR lower a breeze. Not a cheap tool but the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Dewalt DCF680N2 8V Gyroscopic Screwdriver. You squeeze the trigger then rotate your hand left or right to make it work, how far you twist your hand determines the speed of the bit. As the picture shows it can be L shaped or straight depending on which you prefer, I just use it as an L.

I got one to try then ended up loving it so much I bought more because I was tired of chasing the one down when I wanted to use it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been a air tool guy for a long time.  With today's cordless tools though I now only turn on the compressor to air up tires and blow things off.  What a waste of a 80 gallon
View Quote

This.  Air tools suck.

When I find something that I can use for blowing stuff off, my 40gal compressor is gone.  As for inflating tires, get something like the Milwaukee M12 inflator.  I love mine and never use the compressor for tires anymore.  I hook it up ANYWHERE.  SET THE PSI.  WALK AWAY.  Repeat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Battery operated 7 1/4" sliding compound miter saw.

Initially thought they were a bit of a joke. How wrong I was. Throw it on a workmate and trim out a room in no time, light enough carrying it up a couple flights of stairs isn't half the job. Can be pressed into use for framing a deck or shed if that's all that's available.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I use the Knipex Cobra and pliers wrench daily. Awesome tools.

The Milwaukee Surge hydraulic impact driver is freaking hands down the best driver I've used. Quiet and it will run a 3" no. 10 screw in like it's not even there. It is supposed to be less powerful than a standard noisy impact driver but I only drive screws so I can't tell the difference. I haven't driven log screws yet but I'm sure it would work fine.

If mine broke I'd have another one by the end of the day.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top