Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would hope one is running a grid looking in the water column.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r It has been decades since I was in but back then Nike tennis shoes were issued because the Russians could hear walking with boondockers well enough to pinpoint where you are in the big giant ocean. Couldn't a modern boomer or fast attack easily find those noises they are hearing?

I would hope one is running a grid looking in the water column.

I did see a VA class heading down the river yesterday. Probably coincidence.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The carbon fibers are flipped around, so they work in opposite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A question for those who know something about carbon fiber structures, because I don’t.

I thought (could be wrong) that carbon fiber is very strong in tension but not so good in compression.  Therefore with a pressure vessel, a carbon fiber construction would be good if you were going to put 5-6000psi inside the container.

That way the container is trying to expand, like a balloon, and carbon fibers are in tension and that’s where they are strong and the container works.

But with this sub the carbon fibers are being compressed by water forces around the outside.  If carbon fiber is weak in compression isn’t this whole design wrong?

The carbon fibers are flipped around, so they work in opposite.

And just like the video game controller,  they cheaped out and got the standard right-handed smoke shifter instead of the hard to find left-handed one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just imagine if the rigging broke as they were bobbing on the surface opening that hatch and they slipped back down into the dark......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who want to actually think about possiblities...  

To raise the sub if they find it and can get a remote control sub to it:
There are photos online of the sub being lifted using two straps wrapped around the tube/end cap mating surfaces.  In other words they do not have lifting eyes on the sub to lift it.  A remote control sub is not going to have the capability to wrap a strap around the sub while it is laying on the sea floor.  
There appears to be no available structural points to lift the sub that are accessible with the shrouding in place(and there may not be any lift points underneath the shroud).  So any lifting is going to be very risky and, if the people are alive, very dangerous.

If the sub is floating on the surface is weighs in excess of 23k pounds, so the only helicopters that could even maybe lift it would be a ch53 of a ch47.  Getting a strap around the floating sub is feasible, but also risky(if it is dropped the people could easily be killed when it hits the water).  In other words, if they do find it floating they will have to wait for a surface ship to catch up to it.  

LOL.  It was sling-loaded everywhere?!  And it had to mate to that other platform to be removed from the water?  This just gets better and better...

If a P-8 got a surface radar hit on it, the HH-60 gets to it, a diver---somehow---gets a sling around it, can it be towed by the helicopter to the ship?  Like those old CH-53s they used to tow nautical demining sleds?

What a mess.

Screw all that. Get it to the surface, open the hatch, get everybody out, send Titan to it's grave.

Just imagine if the rigging broke as they were bobbing on the surface opening that hatch and they slipped back down into the dark......

Just imagine if they retrieved it from the ocean floor, brought it to the surface, opened it up and there was no one in there!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
What if they are inside the Kraken?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Drop a swimmer to it with a wrench and get it opened up. Could probably drop a raft for people to wait in that would be better than the septic tank with no air holes until a boat showed up.

View Quote
It would sink before you got more than a couple bolt off.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You got to be from Alabama to appreciate thishttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55925/IMG_4068_jpeg-2859405.JPG
View Quote
How many Shunnarah Billboards deep is the sub currently do you reckon?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You got to be from Alabama to appreciate thishttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55925/IMG_4068_jpeg-2859405.JPG

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Your aircraft has dropped enough sonar buoys so that a man could walk from Greenland to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It has no "hatch", they are put in, then the front it bolted on. They open that it it goes down. Best thing I could thing of would be to somehow keep it upright (if it is floating) and cut through whatever side is the "top". How hard is carbon fiber to cut?

That was fucking stupid, considering that one sub got hooked up and luckily had a buddy down there to guide them off.

Simple... The sub cracked, there are air tanks, the thing is floating a few thousand feet down, the titanium end caps are banging against each other. Or the sub cracked and o2 tanks are banging against each other in the current.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw all that. Get it to the surface, open the hatch, get everybody out, send Titan to it's grave.

It has no "hatch", they are put in, then the front it bolted on. They open that it it goes down. Best thing I could thing of would be to somehow keep it upright (if it is floating) and cut through whatever side is the "top". How hard is carbon fiber to cut?
the Titan travelled around the wreck twice and once even touched down on its deck

That was fucking stupid, considering that one sub got hooked up and luckily had a buddy down there to guide them off.

More underwater 'banging' sounds

Simple... The sub cracked, there are air tanks, the thing is floating a few thousand feet down, the titanium end caps are banging against each other. Or the sub cracked and o2 tanks are banging against each other in the current.

I know it's bolted on. It's still a hatch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh man. That guy looks like he's preparing the tenders at KFC. I mean, he could be a top-drawer composites person, but it looks janky as shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a chance, man.  They used top-tier glue, with like, buckets...and spatulas.

https://youtu.be/4dka29FSZac?t=240

Oh man. That guy looks like he's preparing the tenders at KFC. I mean, he could be a top-drawer composites person, but it looks janky as shit.

LOL, yes it just barely looks more technical than a guy at home mixing epoxies to put together his model kit airplane.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a Mythbusters episode dealing with old-school diving hard-hat helmets, a dead pig, and "the squeeze."  Nowhere near this pressure of course.  Still gross.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

I vote you try to making bacon bits for science:

American Scientific Fire Syringe Fire Piston

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think you're correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they're dead, and I think they have been dead since Sunday.

I think you're correct.

I suspect they equalized and lost comms and headed on to the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The more I read about this guy the less I feel for him.  

Rush said he valued captains who were "inspirational" over experience, noting that "anybody can drive the sub," which is controlled with a $30 video game controller.

"When I started the business, one of the things you'll find, there are other sub-operators out there, but they typically have gentlemen who are ex-military submariners, and you'll see a whole bunch of 50-year-old White guys," Rush told Teledyne Marine in a 2020 Zoom interview.

"I wanted our team to be younger, to be inspirational, and I'm not going to inspire a 16-year-old to go pursue marine technology, but a 25-year-old, you know, who's a subpilot or a platform operator or one of our techs can be inspirational," Rush said. "So we've really tried to get very intelligent, motivated, younger individuals involved because we're doing things that are completely new."
View Quote

What a shithead.

Too bad he wasn't lost on one of his solo trips and had to take others with him.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just imagine if they retrieved it from the ocean floor, brought it to the surface, opened it up and there was no one in there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are photos online of the sub being lifted using two straps wrapped around the tube/end cap mating surfaces.  In other words they do not have lifting eyes on the sub to lift it.  A remote control sub is not going to have the capability to wrap a strap around the sub while it is laying on the sea floor.  
There appears to be no available structural points to lift the sub that are accessible with the shrouding in place(and there may not be any lift points underneath the shroud).  So any lifting is going to be very risky and, if the people are alive, very dangerous.

If the sub is floating on the surface is weighs in excess of 23k pounds, so the only helicopters that could even maybe lift it would be a ch53 of a ch47.  Getting a strap around the floating sub is feasible, but also risky(if it is dropped the people could easily be killed when it hits the water).  In other words, if they do find it floating they will have to wait for a surface ship to catch up to it.  

LOL.  It was sling-loaded everywhere?!  And it had to mate to that other platform to be removed from the water?  This just gets better and better...

If a P-8 got a surface radar hit on it, the HH-60 gets to it, a diver---somehow---gets a sling around it, can it be towed by the helicopter to the ship?  Like those old CH-53s they used to tow nautical demining sleds?

What a mess.

Or if they were all re-arranged - heads on different bodies than they started out with, right leg on left side, foot on backwards, the ahole at center of forehead in the third eye spot, etc..  Meaning, aliens,  and didn't put them back together properly
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as many as there are on I-85 in Alabama
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI,

If you're into dark humor, /pol/ is having a field day with this one.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or if they were all re-arranged - heads on different bodies than they started out with, right leg on left side, foot on backwards, the ahole at center of forehead in the third eye spot, etc..  Meaning, aliens,  and didn't put them back together properly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a mess.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The media keeps talking about this 90hrs of air and tomorrow time will be up.

Apparently all they did was just post 90hrs on their website. There’s no actual data or test posted that there actually is 90hrs of air on that thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop a swimmer to it with a wrench and get it opened up. Could probably drop a raft for people to wait in that would be better than the septic tank with no air holes until a boat showed up.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didn't say that. I'm not defending their company. I'm defending what's left of their lives, and the rescue efforts.

You people here jumped straight from the sub being lost to mocking their deaths and, best we know based on available data, they aren't even dead yet. It's pretty disgusting, and, honestly, given that, I'm comforted that you are upset with me. I'd be worried if you thought my views were OK. Because your are pretty terrible.

The owner of the company may well be a SOB, but there's other people down there whose only crime is in having what people here see as an envious amount of discretionary income and a sense of adventure.
View Quote

... and no sense of self preservation, apparently.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"And we can pay them less".  You get what you pay for.
View Quote

We need a “you have died from inspiration” Oregon trail meme.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Apparently all they did was just post 90hrs on their website. There's no actual data or test posted that there actually is 90hrs of air on that thing.
View Quote
Probably short tanked it because, hey we'll be back by dinner, right?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
All you guys complain about the companys diversity hires...it was the old white guy that did this...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Apparently all they did was just post 90hrs on their website. There’s no actual data or test posted that there actually is 90hrs of air on that thing.
View Quote

This, I'm willing to wager that if they did a like to like test (same volume, same equipment), 5 regular people under duress could burn through the supply/system in 48 to 72 hours.  We're talking about millionaires on a thrill seeking trip.  Not well trained people with high stress experience.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people are gonna hold out hope till the seconds count down on that air thing.
The way this owner was, we have no idea, they could have run out of air on Monday for all we know.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

... and no sense of self preservation, apparently.
View Quote

Hey, I'm sure being the first ever pioneers to see the titanic was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This, I'm willing to wager that if they did a like to like test (same volume, same equipment), 5 regular people under duress could burn through the supply/system in 48 to 72 hours.  We're talking about millionaires on a thrill seeking trip.  Not well trained people with high stress experience.
View Quote
what if all 4 of them suffocated the CEO as their first order of business?  net gain, or net loss of O2?

Seriously though, if they are going to go out (or did), I hope for those onboard it was an implosion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is the tapping sound someone hitting the Xbox controller on the sub walls
View Quote

You know, like when your flashlight quits and you bop it against something a couple times to re-seat the batteries ....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Call me Alabama
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#37]
The media provides the same info about 4 day air supply and knock/knock sonar sounds. They dont tell you what course this thing travels. I'm under the impression that the mother ship brings it to an area overhead the Titanic, and then this dangerous toy is submerged down to it. So then I'd think the search area is in a confined area?? But, what do I know .....as I don't pay $1/4M to play in such toys to know where it will implode or what's served for lunch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All you guys complain about the companys diversity hires...it was the old white guy that did this...
View Quote

Because all the old white guys he didn't want to hire would've clashed with his ego he's the CEO, no underling will tell him what to do
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Send him.  Send him, please!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Air goes faster when you get excited. I expect they were VERY excited.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The media provides the same info about 4 day air supply and knock/knock sonar sounds. They dont tell you what course this thing travels. I'm under the impression that the mother ship brings it to an area overhead the Titanic, and then this dangerous toy is submerged down to it. So then I'd think the search area is in a confined area?? But, what do I know .....as I don't pay $1/4M to play in such toys to know where it will implode or what's served for lunch.
View Quote
It's untethered so there's no telling where it could be. If it was submerged but neutral buoyancy it could have been drifting for days. Or it could have just plunged straight down. It's hard to find shipwrecks even when they know where they're at.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Question for Navy guys or anyone who might know:

How long do modern sonobuoys last on the surface?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to have lunch a couple of times a year with Bob Ballard, and Emory Kristoff was a regular at the cafeteria lunch table

Ballard was the captain of the NR-1 on several expeditions
and Emory was the Natty G photographer of the Alvin dive on the Titanic wreck

The NR-1  was decommissioned in 2008, but they must have another black budget nuke research sub that is skulking the transoceanic data cables. We are not hearing about it.

There was another expedition to find a sunk U boat, that I was slated to provide imaging support for, but the MIRs were having supply chain difficulty with getting oxygen candles at the time, and the reschedule did not work out for my participation.

I kinda feel missing out on a dive in a russian deep water sub from the Keldesh mothership was a lost opportunity to drown at depth in the dark

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#46]
To those of you interested in seeing what happens during an explosive decompression to divers (not quite similar to the Titan, but still interestingly none the less)

Warning : This is extremely graphic
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds about right based on the rest of that operation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I may have some experience with engineering, composites and pressure.

You know what i wouldn't make a salt-water submersible out out?   Carbon-fiber...

SEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO- TENSILE TESTINGSEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND
FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO-
TENSILE TESTING
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was this thing tethered at all or completely free of the mothership?

Completely free

... and apparently with no navigation system, and no sophisticated communication system.  

I am starting to realize who ever designed this thing, has zero experience with subs or marine architecture/engineering at all

I may have some experience with engineering, composites and pressure.

You know what i wouldn't make a salt-water submersible out out?   Carbon-fiber...

SEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO- TENSILE TESTINGSEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND
FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO-
TENSILE TESTING

The owner admitted to having no experience with ocean-going stuff, and that his processes and procedures were based on aviation tech and procedures.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Question for Navy guys or anyone who might know:

How long do modern sonobuoys last on the surface?
View Quote

Depends on the bouy, but the specs on the AN/SSQ-53 say operating time is selectable between 1, 3, and 8 hours.

ETA: AN/SSQ-125 is 8 hours as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Our HSL guys told me the sonobouys last 6-8hrs. No idea if it is true, but the people sitting on my air warfare board accepted that answer
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top