Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not just downgrade some of the components and make commercial versions for a lesser price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trijicon would charge less if they could... but if you have an item you sell to dcma/gov for one price (ie: M2/M4/T2 are overpriced as hell because Uncle Sam doesn’t care about money) you can’t turn around and sell that same item for significantly cheaper to the public.

Trijicon would have to develop a specific lineup of budget optics to sell to civs.  Of course as soon as that happened, when gov FWA auditors see an almost identical looking civilian market optic at 1/5th the price and BETTER performance as the contracts optic from their same vendor, they use that grounds for a justification review or contract rebid effort. Major headaches all around, basically.

Trijicons hands are kind of tied if they want to keep the government contracts they have been doing at the same prices they’ve been doing them at.  Trijicon is who they are because of gov sales... not public sales.  Best not to bite the hand that feeds. I can understand their choices.

Why not just downgrade some of the components and make commercial versions for a lesser price?

I don’t know, I’m not privy to their market/production analytics.  I do think it’s ridiculous that the gov still pays what it does for “red dot” technology.  I think that’s the real problem here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Back in about 2005 I did an electrical job at a Caterpillar plant.  I thought it was interesting that there was a great big John Deere tractor on the floor being disassembled by a couple of techs.

View Quote

Yep, we all do this, because if you want to be in that market you have to ensure your own product is not violating patent and copyright claims of your competitors
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Back in about 2005 I did an electrical job at a Caterpillar plant.  I thought it was interesting that there was a great big John Deere tractor on the floor being disassembled by a couple of techs.

View Quote

Companies reverse engineer competitors products all the time. Everytime I did a job a GM Tech Center they had some competitors vehicles tore apart in a garage.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is Trijicon regretting having some of their products manufactured in China now?  Who didn't see this coming?
View Quote

What Trijicon optic is made in China?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Trijicon is exercising their rights as an American company?

GD: fuck them.

Also the GD: Buy American!
View Quote

How DARE you bring logic and reason into this!
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For everyone complaining about trijicon prices...

Trijicon would charge less if they could... but if you have an item you sell to dcma/gov for one price (ie: M2/M4/T2 are overpriced as hell because Uncle Sam doesn’t care about money) you can’t turn around and sell that same item for significantly cheaper to the public.

Trijicon would have to develop a specific lineup of budget optics to sell to civs.  Of course as soon as that happened, when gov FWA auditors see an almost identical looking civilian market optic at 1/5th the price and BETTER performance as the contracts’ optics from their same vendor, they could use that grounds for a justification review or contract rebid effort. Major headaches all around, basically.

Trijicon’s hands are kind of tied if they don’t want to risk the government contracts they have been doing at the same prices they’ve been doing them at.  Trijicon is who they are because of gov sales... not public sales.  Best not to bite the hand that feeds. I can understand their pricing choices.
View Quote

Aimpoint did it with the PRO and ACO...

I also have no idea what the government contract prices are on Trijicon's optics, but for most things, those prices are much cheaper than consumer retail. Look at .gov unit prices on things like the M4 or M17 for an idea.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think you are missing the point. If the Chinese company can innovate with ideas and features that don't steal from another company no-one would object to that being manufactured wherever.  Heck I would buy it if it did what I wanted at a good price.
View Quote

I think I am right on the point. It is a silly suit. If your ever in my neck of the woods (lol at people wanting to visit ohio) I will grab a beer with you. I am a little unorthodox about my ways, but I call a spade a spade. Making a more robust shell around the glass is not IP. It is making a better product. This toes that line of trijicon having a monopoly over 'making a more durable product?'. Eotech puts a squarish shroud over the glass... is that not acceptable?

America is in a very tough spot. This is a super rough and non educated guess, but I would bet this falls into the 50% of cases that are not important. Just someone looking to take a cheap shot. If they want to burn Holosun, than do it with something a little more legitimate.

I would say the replies are 50/50 as well. All of us agree 'fuck china' except for you DU fucks that linger here. Some of us just see this is as a 'flex'. And obviously china doesnt give a fuck about us, so there will be knock offs of everything until a meteor obliterates earth.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just find it interesting that the company Trijicon chooses to make a claim against is the only company making a sight that is comparable to the RMR in durability.
View Quote

Fuck sake.

Trijicon Pursues Legal Action Against ACOG Patent Violation
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m ok with it.  Fuck China.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
What patent is being infringed on specifically?

The holosuns only share the footprint as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Arfcom: F China for stealing American intellectual property!

Also Arfcom: but Muh cheap Red Dot!
View Quote

Yep.  see it pretty regularly.  Fuck China until you can get a great deal.  Then Fuck whatever American company that is getting screwed.  Anything for a deal, right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheap Chinese knockoffs? Maybe 5 years ago. I wouldnt call Holosun a "cheap" Chinese knockoff these days though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The right answer is always FUCK CHINA
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Didnt Doctor optic have a MRDS years before the RMR existed? Maybe they should come back and sue trijicon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't support the theft at all.

However, there is a legit discussion of lack of innovation, price point, and market going on as well.
View Quote

Maybe I am forgetting something, possibly.

But who created the most used pistol red dots?

Was it designed as a piggyback to another high quality optic?

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Holy shit what MRDS wouldn't violate such a broad claim?

View Quote

Qft.  If trij wants to die on this hill they’ve got aimpoint, Burris, and a handful of other sellers to go after as well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didnt Doctor optic have a MRDS years before the RMR existed? Maybe they should come back and sue trijicon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually I think Tasco beat everyone to the punch .
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would happily pay for an RMR if they made the window larger than a peep hole and used glass that does not look like they sourced it from the bottom of a coke bottle.

They don't so I buy the only other viable option for my application.

I thought the SRO would be the perfect solution until Trijicon basically said "Don't expect it not to break if you use it hard."

View Quote

^^^This

Trijcon needs have solid options that appeal to a larger crowd. Right now Holosun is filling that void, better sue them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This will help all those guys waiting for their Holosun 508t v2s.
View Quote

Of which I am one. I also just got an SRO but this is the same company selling two screws for  $16
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Never thought I'd see this much support for China here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I just returned a Holosun HE510C. The recital would dim and brighten if you barley bumped the rifle. I'm going to replace it with something not made in China. I'll spend a few hundred more, but I think it will be well worth it in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy shit what MRDS wouldn't violate such a broad claim?
View All Quotes

So every non-tubular red dot with autobrightness is infringing? When was the patent put into place? Open red dots with auto brightness have been around for a LONG time (see the Elbit Falcon from the 80s).

The Docter reflex sights are almost 20 years old (so probably pre-date the patent) and also have those design elements.

How do those not meet those same design elements just as much as the Holosun?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

People often defend their purchases and decisions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm surprised at the number of people here on the "If the Chicoms can rip it off and make it cheaper, screw the people that made it first and patented it if it saves me a few bucks" bandwagon. And we sit around wondering what happened to U.S. manufacturing. Apparently, the American people themselves sold it to the low bidder.
View Quote
I'm with Trijicon on this one
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I believe the standard ARFCOM GD response is go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Reading the complaint, it basically boils down to the Holosun optics being shaped the way they are, with a forward facing LED, buttons on the side, photo sensor, and the order of the buttons controlling auto and manual mode.

Affected optics: HS407K,  HS407C-V2, HE407C-GR V2, HS407CO V2, HS507K, HS507C V2, HE507C-GR V2, HE508T-RD V2 and HE508T-GR V2

Here's the patent: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/17389558/1/1/trijicon-inc-v-holosun-technologies-inc/

Dunno, it's pretty detailed but is it something that really warranted the patent?  Not well versed in patent litigation aside from working for companies that have been caught up in it.  Definitely seen cases where a patent that shouldn't have been granted wielded like a weapon.  All fun and games until your obvious patent gets invalidated in the suit but that's after millions of dollars get burned in litigation.

I do know Holosun is pretty popular with shooters right now, so Trijicon bloodying them might have a PR cost.  You might have taken away your competition (at a price point you don't want to play at anyway), but those consumers probably aren't going to come crawling on over to you afterward.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For everyone complaining about trijicon prices...

Trijicon would have to develop a specific lineup of budget optics to sell to civs.  Of course as soon as that happened, when gov FWA auditors see an almost identical looking civilian market optic at 1/5th the price and BETTER performance as the contracts’ optics from their same vendor, they could use that grounds for a justification review or contract rebid effort. Major headaches all around, basically.

Trijicon’s hands are kind of tied if they don’t want to risk the government contracts they have been doing at the same prices they’ve been doing them at.  Trijicon is who they are because of gov sales... not public sales.  Best not to bite the hand that feeds. I can understand their pricing choices.
View Quote

The "they could charge us poors less, but they're too busy overcharging our government" defense?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll wait and see how this shakes out. The claim seems rather broad but if it violated a patent it violated a patent.

Now the conversation about innovation and pricing is also very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm with Trijicon on this one
View Quote

Have you actually looked at the features they're considering patentable? All of which were absolutely available before this patent.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've bought my share of Chinese garbage but decided to stick with American as much as is feasible now. I'm up to 4 Trijicon optics now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Seems doubtful Holosun has used Trijicon "proprietary" technology. And I don't think you can patent a "pistol mounted sight" as a protected technology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trijicon does not violate other's patents, then illegally manufacture other's intellectual property with lower quality in China.

Get it now?

Seems doubtful Holosun has used Trijicon "proprietary" technology. And I don't think you can patent a "pistol mounted sight" as a protected technology.

Wolf range patented the color red and multiple shades for their knobs, it has held in court.

Brand identity is a thing, as is tech, fuck the Chicoms

You want cheap optics, do the American thing and bring them to market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've bought my share of Chinese garbage but decided to stick with American as much as is feasible now. I'm up to 4 Trijicon optics now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you there, have a couple floating around that I figured would be garbage but I never really intended them to be anything serious use.

Take a look at the pic threads sometime, you'll notice a lot of the Chinesium optics are pushed over Trijicon/Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised with all the "China is a**hole" and "F**k China" sentiment on this board that so many people in this thread are running to defend Holosun.

So patent infringement is OK if the original product is "too expensive?"

I'd like to see what the courts say.
View Quote
I think it's more frustration over the perception of US companies with mil contracts driving sky-high prices to civilians, often with seemingly limited quality/feature upgrades over their competitors. I think of of Trijicon, Eotech, and Surefire - often 3x+ price tags for 10+ year old tech.

Not certain that's all 100% fair, but for example somehow Vortex developed a made in USA holographic sight with significantly better battery life and 25% lower cost than an exps3 that's what? A decade old?

I HATE Chinese patent infringement though, so even if some of the US mfgs do seem to lag I'll never cheer Chinese theft.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#40]
It's the button layout and functionality that's the issue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like Trijicon has a good case.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would happily pay for an RMR if they made the window larger than a peep hole and used glass that does not look like they sourced it from the bottom of a coke bottle.

They don't so I buy the only other viable option for my application.

I thought the SRO would be the perfect solution until Trijicon basically said "Don't expect it not to break if you use it hard."

View Quote

That’s not really what they said, but of course the RMR has the right design to be more rugged for drop testing on concrete.

FWIW out of a sample size of 32, there’s been no issues with durability of any of the SROs we’ve had. They’re not treated gently or unused, I think in the year plus we got them every gun has been through enough rounds to need new recoil spring assemblies, striker springs, and barrels. Maybe not so much “need” but the maintenance schedule we use has those parts changed after 15k rounds.

These things have been banged around in vehicles, hit doorways in shoot houses, been used with SIM ammo in ECQC training, and some have gone on deployments and come back fine. A good holster that covers the optic reduce a lot of the scenarios suggested as causing the optic to be damaged as well.

Anecdotal I know, but it’s proven to me that I’m okay not worrying too much. Just like any other optic, it’s an asset that can fail in certain conditions. That’s what the suppressor sights are for. But given how much faster I’ve found presentation to be with the SRO compared to the RMR it’s something I’m comfortable with. It’s hardly as fragile as a condensed YouTube review might suggest. Not saying that video’s results aren’t true, just that they’re not an absolute condemnation either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I would like to know what tech was stolen.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Trijicon is exercising their rights as an American company?

GD: fuck them.

Also the GD: Buy American!
View Quote

Funny how that works huh....

I'm waiting on Tijicon to release a slimmer RDS made for my G43X
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like the Yeti vs RTIC lawsuit. RTIC ended up having to shape their cooler to look less like the yeti. Probably why Trijicon is going after Holosun because it shares the same footprint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
If you can't beat em',  sue em.

This is a great look for Trijicon.

Instead of hiring lawyers maybe they should've brought in more engineers.

Lawyers are cheaper and easier.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Trijicon is too expensive, probably for a few reasons, for many. Many people don't want to pay that kind of money so they go for an alternative source.

Perhaps Trijicon could try to manufacture some optics for the lower budget minded people?
View Quote

Then you’re not tier one.

It’s your funeral pal
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Ha! Ha!

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#49]
good luck, they ban import of holosun and next week horosun starts being imported, followed by hellosun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fuck sake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just find it interesting that the company Trijicon chooses to make a claim against is the only company making a sight that is comparable to the RMR in durability.

Fuck sake.

What are you talking about?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top