Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Vietnam. (Page 31 of 43)
Page / 43
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
How does one go about getting those little dark cardboard square pictures to digital?

My grandpa has hundreds of them from his time there as a GI in 67.

Best I could do of one with my phone in front of the lightbulb.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for day crew
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabyGlock_27] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:
How does one go about getting those little dark cardboard square pictures to digital?

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/theshloufq/315D0E20-DDE0-4854-A1F4-5190BA5EB79B_zpslqnorfqz.jpg

View Quote

you need a flatbed photo scanner.

Edit:
Pops in 'Nam...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/theshloufq/315D0E20-DDE0-4854-A1F4-5190BA5EB79B_zpslqnorfqz.jpg

View Quote

What you have used to be called SLIDES. You can take them to an old fashioned photo shop for transfer to a DVD.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: not_sure] [#5]

View Quote

I have scanned 440 slides with this so far.  Only ~ 500 to go.  It is slow, I can get maybe 10 / hr while surfing the internet, less if I only had one screen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2I02MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA, If I wasn't tweaking the setting for each slide, it would go a lot faster.  To get the best results for old slides, you pretty much need to do it.
ETA2, It will also do negatives.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JT_26] [#6]
Photo's by U.S. Air Force combat photographer Sgt. Peter Seel

check out his site

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Johnny needs a mag

Nurses Nha Trang 1965 God Bless you Ladies

Feed him your coffee beans . . .

Phan Rang AB 35th APS

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
not much to add, A old teacher of mine posted this a while back. He was a sniper in vietnam.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Nor did I.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Snake_driver:
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
Originally Posted By 907bob:
Did you all volunteer or were some of you guys drafted?

Might as well re-tell the story now

Because I was admitted to the US as a refugee and under parole (no resident visa AKA green card) when i tried to enlist I was told I could not do it. Marines, Army and Air Force said it. Then on a persistent effort I called the SSS which said I could send a letter volunteering for the draft and shortly after that I got my letter which said something like this:

"Congratulations! Your friends and neighbors have selected you......" (or something to that effect)

I was 17 so my father had to sign, but I was in!

There are a number of peculiarities with my service that some of you might not know about, not the least strange of which is the fact that because the FBI could not do a full background check on me (they were not about to go interview my teachers, neighbors and relatives in Cuba) I could not get a security clearance, and without a security clearance I could not be in any occupation that had to do with military intelligence which our was our primary job (gathering it)

Also, when I asked for a 6 month extension in Nam so I could leave when my buddies finished their tour they, said I could not extend for 6 months. If I wanted to stay I would have to re-enlist for 3 years. WTF kind of stupid rule was that where you cannot do something for 6 months but you can do it for 3 years? BTW, nobody ever got back to me with the denial information, so I remained there until my buddies urged me to leave. I had "been too lucky too many times and eventually my number was going to come up", they said.
Extended for the convenience of the government is what my (post ETS) separation stated

Tonight I will try to write up "Spared from destruction....twice" which tends to support the "lucky" comments my friends made

I've got a French Haitian friend who was working construction in St Thomas, USVI in the late 60's when he got drafted into the service.  He had no idea that foreign nationals working in the US could be drafted.   He ended up in Special Forces and did two tours in Vietnam.  He's the real deal too, I've seen his shit and he's no poser.

Nor did I.

He must have known simply because he must have registered with the Selective Service if he was drafted!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
HOW have I just now discovered this thread?! TAG!

And Thank You to all that have served!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jm0502] [#12]
not reallly related, my neighbors father passed away, His father as a photographer during the Korean war. he has a lot of undeveloped and slide photos, What is the best way to get them in digital form? he has quite a few Arial photos from aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for all the new pictures

I wish I had taken more while there but we got busy and down to business after the first 2 weeks and left the cameras behind

View Quote
These things happen.

I have very little from when I was in the Navy, at the time I felt like it didn't matter, now I find that to me it really does.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By jm0502:

not reallly related, my neighbors father passed away, His father as a photographer during the Korean war. he has a lot of undeveloped and slide photos, What is the best way to get them in digital form? he has quite a few Arial photos from aircraft.
View Quote
I would consult a photo lab/shop if you can find one locally and see what they can do. The film will need to be developed, after that it and the slides can be scanned to digital images. A photo lab should be able to do it all in one pass.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

For the slides, this works pretty well.  Get a couple of extra slide holders.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2I02MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]

One of the men my dad served with, Captain Riley carried this set up in Vietnam.

25ish lbs with the scope and battery belt pack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Oil painting of my dad's Sgt.

It was done off of a picture from there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VolvotechT5] [#19]
Had a bit of a chance to talk with my Grandfather over the weekend.

We was sent to Nam September or October of 1967. Alone.
We took a couple flights from the states to Iwo or Oka  then into Vietnam.
Was picked up by one guy in a jeep and off he went.
He was placed with  Second Battalion 26th marines. Not sure of the company though.
He talked about firing the M16 and its muzzel rise and moved into some more of the peaceful things. A young Britsh photographer was placed with them for several months. (I will link to that in another post).
He talked about how she was supposed to be with him at all times and he pushed her off to another corpsman.
Talked about getting mortared at all times of the day. Some fire was accurate and some wasn't.
He began tearing up when he spoke of a young man sitting in a fox hole smoking a cigarette missing both legs and an arm. The blast had sealed the wounds shut so he moved to the next guy. Didn't say anything else about that day.
Spoke of a high ranking fellow that was walking to take his morning...( fill it in) wearing only a helmet, flack jacket and some white boxers with red hearts on them. They were a gift from his daughter. Lol.

Talked about another corpsman running up to him for some help after a mortar attack. The other corpsmans CO had some shrapnel lodged in the shoulder and he was to shook up to remove it himself. My grandfather told the CO to hold tight as he dug the shrapnel out. He got it removed and told the other corpsman to write the guy up for the Purple Heart.

My grandfather was a pissed about how they handed the Purple Heart out. Some dudes that got knocked out got the same thing as the guy missing his legs. He still doesn't think it's fair.

Also told me that some of his brother were from a greater generation. Some fought in WW1 and others in WW2. This I didn't know.

He mentioned some names of the officers and the guys he remembers. I didn't want to be rude and write them down while he was talking.
He was "a young man that was 27" when he was over there. Shit that not much younger than I am now.
I have found a web site based out of Texas that a SHIT TON of documents from Vietnam. I have been reading up on the time he was there and it's all about the  Second Battalion 26th marines. It's the dirt he was in.
The site has lots of info and I will post a link to it as well.

It's a pain doing this on a phone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VolvotechT5] [#20]
Copy and paste to google.

Looks like she was French not British.
He told how she was wounded as well. He instructed the corpsman to fix her or she dies.

kathy leroy vietnam photos

Wikipedia

Looks like I spelled her name wrong as well
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I asked him if he kept a diary while he was there. His answer was that he didn't have time to. He kept all of his letters from my grandmother in an ammo can so they wouldn't get wet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Visited with a cousin of my father-in-law this weekend while the women talked genealogy, he told a little bit about his experience in Vietnam in '68 or so.  I forget what his MOS was when he got over there, but he was assigned to run a road grader, even though he hadn't been to engineer school, based on the fact that he had experience driving tractors at home.  Said he was given a little bit of instruction and told to get to work, and within a few days was pretty good with it.  Apparently the Colonel would watch the guys out working through binoculars and was impressed that he wasn't slacking off when he thought nobody was around.  They had a black kid transfer in who had been to engineer school, but he showed no competence with the grader, so he was assigned to other duties.  Said kid apparently wrote his Congressman complaining that he was trained to run graders and was assigned to shovel duty while a non-trained person ran the grader, so an order came down that he replace the non-trained person on the grader, and the LT assigned him to be the gunner on his jeep instead of sending him off to do whatever his official MOS was.  Within a few days, progress on the road they were working on was stalled out because of the lack of competence of the black kid, and the Colonel asked where he was, and was surprised to learn that not only had he been relieved, but that he, the Colonel, had been the one to relay the order down ordering his relief.  The Colonel countermanded his original order and put the cousin back on the grader so they could finish getting the road built.  The cousin's duty position for perimeter security was one of the bunkers, he kept a spare M60 under his bunk that he carried in case there was a problem with one of the two in the bunker, a few days after the above incident, they had an attack and while he was in the bunker, the black kid was freaked out and fired a shot inside the bunker that hit the other machinegunner in the boot but didn't actually break the skin on his foot, he said the kid got sent off to headquarters after that and he never saw him again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Going through some old photos and found a pic of me in the Huey inserting SEALs at an airshow

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 72coupe:

What you have used to be called SLIDES. You can take them to an old fashioned photo shop for transfer to a DVD.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 72coupe:

Ancient technology.  Mysterious like how the pyramids were built.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Looks familiar!  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38475

I never carry that monstrosity when we went out. The battery in that setup is a bear!

It was a good deal for the guys set on a perimeter or something like that but you really had to be nuts to haul that beast. The M-60 was as heavy to haul but we got a lot more "return on the investment"
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MadMardigan:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14368817_1413602925320925_7025792071312167095_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1b703e8978cb851f659e570bb46acf1c&oe=5877A945

One of the men my dad served with, Captain Riley carried this set up in Vietnam.

25ish lbs with the scope and battery belt pack.

Looks familiar!  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38475

I never carry that monstrosity when we went out. The battery in that setup is a bear!

It was a good deal for the guys set on a perimeter or something like that but you really had to be nuts to haul that beast. The M-60 was as heavy to haul but we got a lot more "return on the investment"
I'll send this pic to him, he's recovering from spinal surgery.

You would have had a good time at the reunion with my dad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#32]

I am sure I would have
View All Quotes

I am sure I would have
Here's what he said back:

Same scope on an M-16. I would like to see how they mounted it! Looks like it is secured to the carry handle. I never used that scope again after I got my Rem 700 with a Redfield scope.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#33]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2I02MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View All Quotes

Less expensive option.
I have one of these and have been happy with it.  Nice to have all of those pics in a digital format for sharing.
The model linked might no longer be in production (only used are available on Amazon) but the company, Wolverine, has several different models that all do basically the same job.
Makes for a good bad weather/winter project.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flyboyaviator] [#34]
IMG_0007.jpg
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#35]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I just spent all morning reading through this entire thread, so many stories. It's breathtaking. Thank you all that have contributed to this thread, as a 21 year old with no relatives that served in Vietnam, this has taught me a lot. Thank you all for your service.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#37]

82nd Abn Division Sniper School  (Fall 1967?)

Ft Bragg, NC
View Quote

You're a legend, Ed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#38]

It has been 50 yrs but if I recall correctly the scope had a female thread and a dedicated bolt (the male part) went from below through the hole in the carry handle and screwed in place. The lamp attached to the scope

I used an M14 with a (3x9) M84 scope

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38506

Ft Bragg, NC
View All Quotes

I am sure I would have
Here's what he said back:

Same scope on an M-16. I would like to see how they mounted it! Looks like it is secured to the carry handle. I never used that scope again after I got my Rem 700 with a Redfield scope.

It has been 50 yrs but if I recall correctly the scope had a female thread and a dedicated bolt (the male part) went from below through the hole in the carry handle and screwed in place. The lamp attached to the scope

I used an M14 with a (3x9) M84 scope

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38506

Ft Bragg, NC
My dad was wounded out in Sept of 67 days before Con Thien was over ran.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Buffalo_(1967)

That was a major operation he was in.  If you ever get a chance to read up on Lt John Bobo, he saved the lives of I3/9.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#39]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]

No sir, not even in my own mind!

My friend helldog40 gifted me a copy of your book very well written and researched. Too close to reality

I had no idea you were the author until long after I read it
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

You're a legend, Ed.

No sir, not even in my own mind!

My friend helldog40 gifted me a copy of your book very well written and researched. Too close to reality

I had no idea you were the author until long after I read it

Whoa, that's a HUGE compliment coming from you, sir. I'm very glad you enjoyed it even though I know it might've taken you back to places you'd rather forget. Thanks for reading; when the sequel is finished, I will make sure you get a copy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By osprey21:

I need pick up a copy of RTUtah's book.
View Quote

When I get another batch, I'll send you one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Dont forget me RTUtah , I'd like a copy  

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By M10KEN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M10KEN:

Roger that!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Denner] [#45]
Patrolling Dogleg Village

Lunch break at noon in triple canopy

Rainy season sucks

" />
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Welcome home and happy Veterans Day, gents.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Have a good Veteran's Day!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Amazing pictures!  Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Happy Veterans Day to all the brothers
View Quote

Same to you Ed enjoy the day ,  and like wise to all our brothers out there ;)
Page / 43
Vietnam. (Page 31 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top