Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Very nice!  That "sterile" version had the 1st generation notch by the hilt - later Trailmaster and Recon Scouts didn't have it, probably due to costs.

Holler at me if you ever want to sell it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For Carbon V I’ve got:

4 Recon Tanto’s.
2 Trailmasters, one polished and one black.
1 LTC Kukri.
1 Oyabun (9” Tanto).

Two of the Recon Tanto’s are NIB and I have put them aside for my daughter.
View Quote

I thought the Oyabuns were made in Japan and stainless, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For Carbon V I've got:

4 Recon Tanto's.
2 Trailmasters, one polished and one black.
1 LTC Kukri.
1 Oyabun (9" Tanto).

Two of the Recon Tanto's are NIB and I have put them aside for my daughter.
View Quote
I'm currently EDCing a CS SRK-C.  But I gotta find a way to EDC one of my two Recon Tantos (SK-5 and San Mai).  Those things just sing in my hands.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm currently EDCing a CS SRK-C.  But I gotta find a way to EDC one of my two Recon Tantos (SK-5 and San Mai).  Those things just sing in my hands.  
View Quote

Yep, the Recon Tanto is a great blade.  I like the budge in the grip, that makes for a nice balance point and feel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a coffin handle Bowie in Carbon V.

Need to sell it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Check on that if it's USA made - some of the later ones were Taiwan made and don't go for near as much.

I want to say the first versions had a cocobolo wood for the handle, and the later ones didn't use real wood, but I'm not sure on that.

In new shape, with the original style leather sheath and belt stud, those can go for 400-500 bucks I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah its got the wood handle. Bought it like 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The swords I don't know much about, as I have never bought any.  I think they're made in Spain, and quality is either great or bad.  Most reviews of them are either 1 star or 5.

The tanto looks like one of the Japanese ones - if so it will say Made in Japan on the side.  Nice knife.

The Scrimtar and Steel Tiger may be Japanese made as well - again, it'll say on the blade.

The other ones look more current, after CS started having them made in China, then Taiwan.

Nice collection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Got in a new to me Desperado, this one being one of the rarer ones that was made in Japan.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Has Carbon 5 Made in USA engraved on one side and Oyabun on the other.

Not my picture:

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

I thought the Oyabuns were made in Japan and stainless, but I could be wrong.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool.  Carbon V, while not a technical name for a steel, was a good knife steel that would take and hold a sharp edge.  The CS stainless Japanese versions are very pretty, but a Carbon V blade is better.

I bought a Carbon V, black coated Recon Scout last week - the 7-1/2" Trailmaster in all but name.  Will round out the collection with my Japanese stainless version.  

I'm running out of things to buy.  I still need an Imperial Tai Pan, probably the nicest knife CS ever made, so it's just as well as I need to save up my lunch money for it, as they go for 1500 or so.

That, and I'd buy something from the pre-tanto days of Cold Steel if I see any - the Urban Pal and Urban Shiv, when their ads were dodgy black and white pictures in ads in the back of gun mags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
My first "expensive" pocket knife (I.e. more than $20) was going to be the cheaper plastic handled ti-lite, but the company fucked up and sent me the blue anodized real ti-lite.
Carried it every day for about 5-6 years before replacing it with more practical knives, and wore virtually all of the anodizing off, but it's still a pretty slick design and converted me to the truth of the superiority of tip up carry.

Mine:

Attachment Attached File

What it originally looked like (not my pictures, but the best I could quickly find that show how nice they looked):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow some 80's/90's childhood flashbacks in this thread!!

I dont have anything special or rare.. just some early 2000's ones I got at the Cold Steel tables at SAR show in Phoenix.. they would blow out their seconds there... great deals!!!  They live in some of my backpacks that go places with me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Circa 1999 Carbon V Trailmaster with some patina.

Attachment Attached File

NIB Carbon V Trailmaster, bought around 2005-2007 when they stopped using that steel.  Bought one LTC Kukri and four Recon Tanto (Factory seconds) around the same time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow some 80's/90's childhood flashbacks in this thread!!

I dont have anything special or rare.. just some early 2000's ones I got at the Cold Steel tables at SAR show in Phoenix.. they would blow out their seconds there... great deals!!!  They live in some of my backpacks that go places with me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20220908_205407124_2_jpg-2518983.JPG
View Quote

Nice, the Recon Tanto is a very good knife, and was always a steal for its price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487147/7F195975-E380-46DB-8BBD-9C64573EB905_jpe-2520296.JPG

Circa 1999 Carbon V Trailmaster with some patina.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487147/FDC52F04-0EF8-47EC-9C90-BF03E8AFB0CF_jpe-2520297.JPG

NIB Carbon V Trailmaster, bought around 2005-2007 when they stopped using that steel.  Bought one LTC Kukri and four Recon Tanto (Factory seconds) around the same time.
View Quote

Cool, the first Trailmaster almost looks like a Damascus steel pattern.  Those were awesome knives.  Lots of scheming on my part circa 1987 on how I could save up and buy one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Got in a new to me Cold Steel yesterday, a Recon Scout.  

Attachment Attached File

I already has the more rare Japanese, stainless version, so now I have the set.

Out of all the CS knives, I have to say this one feels top 3.  It's the same blade pattern and handle as the Trailmaster, but the 1-1/2" shorter blade makes it far handier, and it feels more comfortable to swing around.  The Trailmaster is a gorgeous, classic knife, but at a full 9 inches it's a bit too long for most use.  I'd probably lash the black Recon Scout to my gear if things got serious.

Attachment Attached File

Recon Scouts with the Trailmasters.  To have a complete collection, I'd need the Japanese Trailmaster, and the one with the Cocobolo wood handle.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Thinking about an ATC chopper, in Carbon 5 and with the polished finish.  Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Going to get a Recon Scout, but I do have a Kobun, and it’s pretty handy
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
The Recon Scout has a more solid feel in your hand than the tanto style knives do, as you would expect as the blade is thicker and taller.  I really do like the Recon Scouts I have - only recently got both (only took 30 years!), in a way I would not have thought.  Always just considered them stunted Trailmasters, and while they look like that, they handle very nicely.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Recon Scout has a more solid feel in your hand than the tanto style knives do, as you would expect as the blade is thicker and taller.  I really do like the Recon Scouts I have - only recently got both (only took 30 years!), in a way I would not have thought.  Always just considered them stunted Trailmasters, and while they look like that, they handle very nicely.
View Quote

Great knife.  I have one from 1990.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very nice.  The first Recon Tantos were sort of a stealth version of their regular tanto, with a subdued finish.  Later on, they called the Carbon V, epoxy coated, rubber hilt tanto the Recon Tanto as well.
View Quote

Mine is the Carbon V version. I don't remember when I purchased it, definitely before 2010.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
My personal favorites are the Rajha 1 and the polished Espada XL. Absolute beauties, when they are in your hand, both of them make you feel like you are a kid holding a knife.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This one isn't a Cold Steel, but I'm including it here as 1. I lusted after it in the same display case as the Trailmaster 2. the dedicated knife post here has slumped into various pictures of someone's lunch with a knife on the side, with no cool discussions of the blade, or your history with it.

The Gerber version of the Bowie knife came out I believe in the late 80's - same Crocodile Dundee craze for big knives.  It was quite a bit cheaper back then than the Trailmaster, and had more of a subdued finish than the bright ones of the CS ones.

Now though, they run as much as Trailmasters or more.  This one I picked up on Ebay for 250-300 bucks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Gerber_bowie_jpg-2497393.JPG
View Quote

Love the thread. I have quite a few CS knives and tomahawks, as well as the Big Bore blowgun. (hitting squirrels with the stun darts is hilarious)
Probably my favorite product is the SF shovel. Killed a water moccasin the other day with a solid throw. I turned a synthetic handle for it out of nylon 66. You just can't break it...

I also have one of those Gerber Bowies. Mine is a limited edition xxx of 500 pieces made. It has a wood grip and a leather sheath. I might have to drag that out of the knife drawer where it sits with its NIB brother the BMF.
So many knives, so little money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Love the thread. I have quite a few CS knives and tomahawks, as well as the Big Bore blowgun. (hitting squirrels with the stun darts is hilarious)
Probably my favorite product is the SF shovel. Killed a water moccasin the other day with a solid throw. I turned a synthetic handle for it out of nylon 66. You just can't break it...

I also have one of those Gerber Bowies. Mine is a limited edition xxx of 500 pieces made. It has a wood grip and a leather sheath. I might have to drag that out of the knife drawer where it sits with its NIB brother the BMF.
View Quote

That's a nice Gerber - I have the regular rubber handle one, and I remember the limited edition with the wood handle.  Post some pictures of it if you get the chance, along with your CS stuff.

Bought an old school Military Classic R1 the other day - I'll post some pictures when I get it in.  Looks brand new from the selling pictures.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a nice Gerber - I have the regular rubber handle one, and I remember the limited edition with the wood handle.  Post some pictures of it if you get the chance, along with your CS stuff.

Bought an old school Military Classic R1 the other day - I'll post some pictures when I get it in.  Looks brand new from the selling pictures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]

I’ve carried a Voyager every day for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've carried a Voyager every day for the last 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've carried a Voyager every day for the last 20 years.
Old or new style?  Old style Voyagers were some of the sharpest and handiest pocket knives ever made.  I wish CS would bring them back.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is my favorite.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Snapped a pic of my tanto.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never fear, I'll post picts of that, the old school Recon Tanto, and the old school mini Tanto when I get them in this week.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]

That's a pretty rare tanto you have, from the serial number on the blade.  When Cold Steel was making the tantos with brass pommels and handguards, they also made a limited edition with stainless on them instead of brass.  It's the version I have, if you go back to maybe the first page.  I read CS only made a few thousand of them.  They'll have the original 5-3/4" blade, while when they changed over to stainless on all their tantos, the blade increased to 6".  So if yours is 5-3/4", it's the rare version.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Got in the R1 Military Classic yesterday.  Looks brand new, even has the original sharpening stone in the sheath.  It's a nice looking knife, and I'd already decdied I liked the blade pattern from the ODA version I owned, with the same pattern in Carbon V with the coating.

Attachment Attached File

Picture of both:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got in the R1 Military Classic yesterday.  Looks brand new, even has the original sharpening stone in the sheath.  It's a nice looking knife, and I'd already decdied I liked the blade pattern from the ODA version I owned, with the same pattern in Carbon V with the coating.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/R1_Military_Classic___14R1_jpg-2535439.JPG

Picture of both:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/R1_Military_Classic_and_ODA_jpg-2535464.JPG
View Quote
Classic blade shapes!

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#38]

It took five pages, but somebody finally posted a pic of my favorite ~ the Scimitar. I finally wore out the bearings, and it no longer flips open like greased lightning when you look at it crosseyed.

My first CS was a five inch Gunsite folder. I lost it cutting brush in one of my fence lines. Five or six years later, I pulled out a gray dogwood (friggin weeds), and up came my Gunsite. Guess what? Yes, stainless steel can rust. But not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#39]
My newest Cold Steel - an old school, late 80's Recon Tanto.

As mentioned before, the first version of the Recon Tanto was a cheaper version of the Tanto.  Same blame pattern, but the finish is subdued as is the hardware (I guess to be more stealthy when sneaking up on those Commie sentries), and the pommel is rounded, instead of being the "skull crusher!" style.

Also, the sheath has the double belt slots on them - this was the first style CS used - later they either just had one slot, or a loop style, so if you see a double sheath, it's from their 80's vintage most likley.  CS did a lot of mixing on sheaths, using up whatever they had, along with changing from leather to cordon sometimes in the same year.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Got in a Mini Tanto last week too, one of the early ones with the brass hardware.  The later versions, once Cold Steel went to stainless, had the oval style cross guard, which sort of looks out of place on such a small knife.

I never had a lot of interest in the Mini, but needed it to round out the Tanto collection.  Sort of a big brother / little tyke picture with it next to the Trailmaster.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Speaking of the Trailmaster, this is pretty unusual for Cold Steel - a Factory Second marking on the handguard, not the usual ugly 2nd stamped at the end of the handle.  Not sure how many CS knives had this marking for being a 2nd compared to the handle stamp.  I've looked over the knife closely and can't find anything wrong with it, so whatever made it a 2nd is pretty minor.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Anybody have a Brave Heart they want to let go?

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#43]
With the Mini Tanto, my Tanto collection is pretty well set at this point.  I could get a San Mai Tanto, and a Mini with the oval guard, but both are back burner buys for me compared to other things I'd like to get.

From the top:

1st Gen Magnum Tanto - 8-3/4" blade
Magnum Tanto II - 7-1/2" blade
Special Ops Tanto - 5-3/4" blade, stainless hardware when the usual was brass
Tanto, 5-3/4"
Imperial Tanto, 5-3/4"
1st Gen Recon Tanto, 5-3/4",
1st Gen Mini Tanto, 4"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://i0.wp.com/cms.sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Featured-Image.jpg
View Quote

Well if it can cut through that stump, it's a hell of a knife!

The Brave Heats were called the Cullodens, after a famous battle where, as usual, the English whipped up on the Scots.  CS made I think 4 versions - a 5 inch version was first, in both smooth and serrated edges.  Then later on they made a shorter version, like 3 inches or so.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Brave Heats were called the Cullodens, after a famous battle where, as usual, the English whipped up on the Scots.  CS made I think 4 versions - a 5 inch version was first, in both smooth and serrated edges.  Then later on they made a shorter version, like 3 inches or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i0.wp.com/cms.sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Featured-Image.jpg

Interesting! Was the shorter version called Secret Edge by any chance?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Interesting! Was the shorter version called Secret Edge by any chance?
View Quote

Actually, you were correct, the version you pictured was called the Brave Heart, with a 4" blade.  I'm looking at it in a Cold Steel catalog from 2008.

It's the same basic blade and handle pattern the Culloden I mentioned, but with a different name and sheath.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Last picture - till I buy something new!  The Mini Tanto.  Ths is an 80's version, as it has both the brass hardware, and doesn't have the sword style oval crossguard the ones in the 90's had.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#48]
The Gurkha Kukri!

This beast of a blade came out in 1998, and as Cold Steel said in their catalog:

The Gurkha Kukri takes advantage of its downward curving blade, and places its edge at an angle to a target, creating a powerful shearing effect.

The flat ground blade forms a long, shallow “V”shaped cross section, which is ideal for maximum shearing power.

The Gurkha Kukri will out-chop any factory or handmade knives, including swords twice its size — even expensive, hand forged Japanese Katanas.

The heaviest Kukri on the market, the blade is almost an inch wider near the tip than it is at the handle, which shifts the knife's balance point forward. This allows a substantial blow to be struck with minimal effort, using inertia alone to complete the cut.

I had one with the black epoxy finish on it, but needed a polished finish one for the collection, as well as just for looks.  Gotta say, this thing is awesome.  The finish is beautiful, and it swings like it's hungry for flesh and bone.

It was a hoot to watch the Cold Steel video about it, where various dudes, plus Lynn Thompson himself (in all black, with tie, and shall we say, a bit on the ample side), were chopping bamboo and ropes and 2x4's and cutting the head on a hog.  

I picked this one up for $360 plus shipping and tax, and think I got a pretty good deal on it.  The polished ones were 300-450 I think back in the 90's, as it a huge piece of steel at 5/16" thick.

Attachment Attached File

Family picture of the kukris - still need a light kukri in black - the one I have is the full 5/16" thick compared to to 1/8" for the light one, and a polished LTC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I was bidding on a nice Imperial Tai Pan last night on eBay, but my $1575 bid wasn't enough.  It went for low $1600, which seems to be the going rate anymore - 1600-1800 dollars.  The knife was bought from Cold Steel as a present, and still had the receipt for $750 back in 98 or 99.  So they were plenty expensive even back then.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]
New to me Peacekeeper II, the more rare shorter one, compared to the full size 7" one.

Attachment Attached File

Just need the black shorty one for the sweep of them all.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top