User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welp. No more steel bristle brushes for my grill after reading this
View Quote
A guy at work said one bristle in a brisket made it all the way to his stomach before poking out. Had to have surgery.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I now know personally, 3 people that have fallen off ladders, simply cleaning roof gutters.
2 of them died from the fall. Other never recovered enough to go back to work as a state trooper.

I've also witnessed as a teenager working warehouse, a co-worker accidently drive a forklift off the open bay door of the loading dock. He fell out and the 10k lb lift promptly landed on him. Parts of him squirted distances that still boggle my head...

30 some odd yrs later, my neighbor died when his tractor flipped over (wheelie style) he fell out and it rolled over on him, when he tried to use it to pull out a stump in his field. smh.

Dont mess around with heights or heavy equipment, even if you believe you know what you're doing. If you're wrong, your probably dead wrong.
View Quote

People don't realize the death zone in ladders is 12 to 15 leet off the ground.

Just enough time for your head to make rotation before it slams into the ground with your body on top of it.

Fuck ladders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Had an uncle walking to get the mail, down his driveway, barefoot. Stepped on something that cut the bottom of his foot. Ended up with a severe infection that turned staph, and ended up killing him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Military softball is actually pretty serious business. We were once on a sucky FTX up in frozen Germany and the company softball team got to make a quick exit stage right and go play in big tournament that lasted for weeks

View Quote

Someone told me to get on sports teams in the military and it would be awesome.

It fucking was!

I was on the ski team in Germany, then the Rugby team.

When i got stationed at Polk I was on the Rugby team again.  My battalion commander sent me to Polk because they had a good Rugby team.

I actually left NTC between the manuever and live fire phases to play Rugby in San Antonio.

People were absolutely shocked that I was allowed to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I "froze" part of my diaphragm (or partially paralyzed, I guess) while ice climbing.

Foot blew, I caught myself with my arm fully extended above my head, felt a bit of a "tug" in my torso but ignored it and finished out the day. Ended up having some difficulty getting a full breath for a bit. Went to the doc and she ended up shoving what felt like her whole damn hand under my ribcage. That seemed to loosen things up, but it felt weird as hell. Ended up having to do some weird rehab exercises like trying to breathe with heavy books on my chest.

Felt weird. Do not recommend.
View Quote

wtf?!  did you have a chest tube or anything else?  sounds shitty either way, sorry internet friend.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was involved with a fatality investigation aboard USS Carl Vinson.

The dough machines aboard ships are big. The dough bowl is about 40 gallons and is set in a cradle to swing down for loading and unloading, and up into the waiting dough hooks. The hooks are a pair of thick aluminum two tined forks about 16" apart. They counter rotate like you said when the operator presses two buttons about 48" apart - one on either side of the machine.

A co-worker had come into to the screaming he heard down the passageway to find one of the cooks being ripped apart by the blades. The guy had taken a broom handle and wedged it against one of the two safety switches so he could use the free hand to fold the dough quicker. The hooks caught the hand and pulled his arm and chest into the machine. In the 2-3 seconds that it took the big machine to spin down it removed most of the guys flesh and muscles in a patch about 16" square on half of his chest exposing bone. He ended up dying from blood loss and shock. It took about ten minutes to get him removed from the machine and into medical.

I was one of the lucky accident investigation officers. The photos were real bad.
View Quote

holy. fuck. i can’t imagine and don’t want to know what that looked or sounded like. i’ve seen gallons upon gallons of blood on the floor or in a patient.....no bueno.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn! How could I forget my brother?!?

He was driving home from a bar in Maryland, drunk, and ran off the road straight into a whole line of battlefield fencing; the kind in Gettysburg with long, pointed rails laying on top of one another.

One came through the windshield, through the upper RHS of his chest/seat and into the rear passenger compartment while still sticking out the front. It was 10' long and 5 1/2" in diameter.

He was driven by ambulance all the way to York (the team at Gettysburg hospital all just shook their heads like, "Well, what do expect us to do?") and a Hindu surgeon saved his life.

It was the first time the rescue team in Gettysburg used their new "jaws of life" to enter a vehicle. They used a chainsaw to cut the rail on each end and loaded my still conscious brother into the ambulance still in the driver's seat. He had been pulling out chunks of lung when they arrived on-scene, not realizing the rail went the whole way through!

Thankfully, the rail acted like a giant cork and he really didn't start bleeding horribly until they pulled it out (the way it had gone in). A few years later, he submitted the story (and a pic of him on the operating table with the rail through him) to Guiness Book, but they rejected it as too gory.

He wanted to be listed as having had "The World's Largest Splinter"! LOL

Sorry. I thought I had the pic on my computer, but I can't find it. If I come across it, I'll post it up. (Lost him to pancreatic cancer a few years ago, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/Rich_s__Splinter__jpeg-2495064.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/Rich_s_Wreck_News_Story_jpg-2495102.JPG
View Quote

holy fook, that’s a penetrating injury if i’ve ever seen one. sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

People don't realize the death zone in ladders is 12 to 15 leet off the ground.

Just enough time for your head to make rotation before it slams into the ground with your body on top of it.

Fuck ladders.
View Quote

Ladders are fine, but most people don't use them safely. It's very basic stuff but there are a few things to keep in mind. Most people fall from a ladder due to 2 things:
1) not setting it up properly so the feet don't slip or skid
2) Leaning too far over to the side from the top (body center of mass outside ladder frame)
bonus item
3) Climbing to the very top of the ladder

One way to make ladders extra safe is having  a spotter/holder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A guy at work said one bristle in a brisket made it all the way to his stomach before poking out. Had to have surgery.
View Quote

I keep hearing these anecdotal stories about grill bristle injuries but it feels like an urban legend.
I don't see how you could chew and swallow a steel wire and not know it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of those guys who doesn't bother chewing much?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is making me feel queasy and wanting to go home and hug my kids at the same time.

My dad was pretty notorious for doing stupid crap and hurting himself. My favorite was one Christmas sometime in my early teens. He was walking through the living room and tripped over a pine needle in the carpet. Broke his toe and his wrist.

He was wearing socks and the needle was stuck in the carpet. It caught the front of the sock and sucked his toes up under resulting in a glorious face plant.

A few years ago, I knocked a 6 inch Shun Ken Onion kitchen knife off the wall. The tip just kind of glanced off my calf on the way down. Barely even felt it. Bent down to pick it up and saw my khakis turning red. Quickly walked to the bathroom leaving a bloody foot print. Must of nicked a varicose vein or something. Never had a cut that tiny bleed that much before or since.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a freind who is a hard core event rider. Prelims XC national level. Think 42" jumps on a dead foot horse at a full gallop. Hardcore genuine dangerous stuff.

Tripped over a pole waking a jump course on foot and dislocated a shoulder, popped it back in and got an mri. Ortho described it as"exploded". Multiple surgeries, 9 months in a sling.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine got shot in the ass in Desert Storm about a hundred feet away from me.

He had the biggest damned bandage on his entire ass, it was hilarious.  We mocked him mercilessly when he was presented his Purple Heart.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I was hustling around the kitchen making dinner, and wearing a pair of house moccasin-type slippers with a hard sole, which I had been wearing the day before making beef stock. Little did I know that the tread of my left shoe was full of spilled beef fat from the night before. I took a few quick steps to run the steak out to the deck to grill and my left foot slipped out from under me on the kitchen tile floor while my (dry soled) right foot stayed firmly in place. My inertia completely detached my left knee cap as I slipped and fell.

I knew I was in some deep shit feeling the "pop" and rush of warmth in my knee, then in incredible pain as I hit the floor. My son at the time was just barely a year old and learning to walk. He saw me fall and heard my scream of pain. My left leg was under me at a 30 degree angle and when I straightened it, my knee cap slipped "generally" back in place. I blacked out long enough for him to toddle across the length of my kitchen to me and shake me back awake. Just learning to walk, it probably took him a few minutes to reach me.

A trip to the ER showed no broken bones and they said "well nothing we can do for you; go see an ortho doc in the morning." My ortho doc, a sick fucking masochist, apparently didn't think much of my injury and said "Hey TrueAt1stLight, for gods-sake just lift your leg!" When I attempted to and literally had tears streaming down my face, he acquiesced and ordered an MRI. As I limped to my car after the MRI, his nurse called me before I was even 10 feet away from the front door and said in as casual tone as she could muster "Uh, yeah, your knee cap really isn't attached and we kinda think you immediately need to come in and be fitted for a brace, like right now." "Yeah, you think?!?" I exclaimed. "I wasn't making this shit up!" They told me "do NOT, under ANY circumstances take this brace off for 6 weeks" (or something along those lines).

Less than a week later, my boss at the time insisted I fly from MSP to Chicago Ohare to meet her for a very important meeting at the airport hotel. The asshole TSA in MSP gave me all sorts of grief about my knee brace setting off the scanner, even after I told them I am obviously wearing a brace. They told me "You require additional private screening, come into this private room!" I get in the room and the guy drops down to his knees in front of me and snaps "Pull down your pants!" At this point, I had completely had enough and said while I'm dropping trow "Yeah? Well you might want it move back a bit so my dick doesn't hit you in the mouth!" They were a little more gingerly in treating me after that
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
my roomate was digging a sewer trench at a nudist resort. think it was miami.  A  guy driving the bobcat did not see him and ran over him. He fell into the trench,  thats likely what saved him. However not before shattering and detaching his ribcage.  Thought that would make him more humble as he healed. Nope just became a bigger asshole.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bled all over a library bathroom in Monterey, CA. Was looking for a book, and had to squat down to the bottom shelf. I lost my balance a little and started to sway backward, so I reached behind me to grab something for stability. I grabbed the metal shelf, but my thumb caught an edge and slid down, gouging a 1-inch long piece of flesh off it. It started bleeding like crazy, so I ran to the bathroom to get towels and stop the bleeding. After a couple minutes, that shit wouldn't stop so I decided to ask the librarian for a first aid kit. I paused before departing the bathroom to look back, and there was blood smeared all over the sink, splattered across walls, and smeared all over the floor. It looked like a crime scene. When I reached the front desk, the librarian nearly fainted seeing all the blood still running from my thumb and pooling on the counter. They didn't have a first aid kit, but she drove me to the clinic in her POV. I still have a scar there today.

Edit: Okay, you said SERIOUSLY injured. In hindsight this doesn't really count, but it is pretty weird.
View Quote

almost cut my thumb off as a kid.   Watching Tarzan.  walk outside mom and dad painting the side of the house. Grab the ladder by the folding support and try to swing. lose grip and hanging by my thumb.   bled everywhere. remember screaming and being at the hospital they put my hand down on the metal table and blood just poured all over the table.  Remember how cold that damn table was.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

She had heart surgery years later, did not wait for the nurse to go to the bathroom and fell and hit her head and it bled internally for a few days. they had to install a drip in her skull.

View Quote

Being in the hospital is bad enough, but when they say don't get out of bed unattended, they fucking mean it!

I got put on that list once. Week in the hospital after blacking out while driving(and a fully loaded gasoline tanker at that, on a busy highway on a sunny summer weekend - didn't hit anyone else, but took out 500 feet of guardrail and shut down the Interstate for 18 hours while they cleaned up the mess). Not actually injured, they were just trying to figure out why it happened. The symptoms I was showing in the ER upon arrival, and a few days later in a room(interesting both times just after getting an IV put in) led to the extended stay and some surgery. They put in an implanted heart monitor, had it a year before I had another blackout where my heart stopped for something like 14+ seconds. Got a pacemaker put in after that, no problems since. Anyway, half way through the week in the hospital, they put in a big IV as I was about to be sent over to another facility for a special MRI, everything goes smoothly - nurse walks out, and I get this intense desire to take a massive shit. All I did was sit up in bed, and I started feeling like shit. I laid back down, hit the call button, next thing I know a dozen people are running into the room. I never did see that ECG readout, but it must have been something crazy...

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
One of my best friends in high school was working overnight stocking shelves, said all of a sudden he felt tons of pressure in his chest thought he was having a heart attack, turns out his lung just collapsed out of the blue. He asked the doctor why it happened and the doctor said it was because he was tall and skinny (He really was a bean pole, 6'4" and probably 120lbs at most, he was built like a slightly less anorexic Christian Bale in "The Machinist") His other lung collapsed not long after.

The good news is they told him once it collapses it won't do it again... So he should be good for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was in a motorized infantry company in the Danish army, one of the Unimog drivers accidentally ran himself over.  

On the Mog, you can set the throttle with a hand lever, so when we were driving in some.terrain (with some wheel.ruts) he set the gas to.keep the vehicle going at.relatively low speed, and got out and ran next too the truck to say hi to us in the back.

As he was running back to the cab  to get back in, he slipped and fell into the rut and went under the rear wheels.

He wasn't seriosuly injured, and it was fucking hilarious to have witnessed someone literally running themselves over with a truck.  
View Quote
Kid at Eielson AFB ran himself over with an F550 with a fully loaded toolbox bed.  He was doing the daily vehicle checks. Everything had checked out until he got to the reverse lights.  Being a noob he didn't want to ask for help, so he got the bright idea to chock the rear tires, fire up the truck, pop it in reverse and go check to see if the lights worked.  They did.  But as he was initialing the paperwork the truck rather predictably jumped the chocks and started heading toward him.  Had he been smart he might have tried to jump in the truck and hit the brakes.  But no, he was convinced he was strong enough to stop a one and a half ton truck sliding across an icy parking lot.  So he grabbed the bumper and pushed as hard as he could.  Then he lost his footing.  He managed to hold on to that bumper for just a few more seconds as he was being dragged beneath the truck, but eventually he couldn't hold on anymore.  Both rear tires and the front tire went over his torso.  Not once did he cry out or scream for help.  The people inside didn't know anything was wrong until they heard the crash of truck running into a head bolt outlet.  The kid got choppered down to Anchorage where he was immediately transferred to a plane and flown down to Seattle.  You'd think having a fully loaded one and a half ton truck run you over wild cause some pretty severe injuries, probably break a few bones, likely even kill you.  He came out of it with nothing more than some minor internal bleeding.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
You shouldn’t try to close a leatherman one handed, like swinging a butterfly knife.  

The knife blade just might open enough to impale your hand sufficiently to cut tendons and require surgery.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn! How could I forget my brother?!?

He was driving home from a bar in Maryland, drunk, and ran off the road straight into a whole line of battlefield fencing; the kind in Gettysburg with long, pointed rails laying on top of one another.

One came through the windshield, through the upper RHS of his chest/seat and into the rear passenger compartment while still sticking out the front. It was 10' long and 5 1/2" in diameter.

He was driven by ambulance all the way to York (the team at Gettysburg hospital all just shook their heads like, "Well, what do expect us to do?") and a Hindu surgeon saved his life.

It was the first time the rescue team in Gettysburg used their new "jaws of life" to enter a vehicle. They used a chainsaw to cut the rail on each end and loaded my still conscious brother into the ambulance still in the driver's seat. He had been pulling out chunks of lung when they arrived on-scene, not realizing the rail went the whole way through!

Thankfully, the rail acted like a giant cork and he really didn't start bleeding horribly until they pulled it out (the way it had gone in). A few years later, he submitted the story (and a pic of him on the operating table with the rail through him) to Guiness Book, but they rejected it as too gory.

He wanted to be listed as having had "The World's Largest Splinter"! LOL

Sorry. I thought I had the pic on my computer, but I can't find it. If I come across it, I'll post it up. (Lost him to pancreatic cancer a few years ago, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/Rich_s__Splinter__jpeg-2495064.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/Rich_s_Wreck_News_Story_jpg-2495102.JPG
View Quote
That's fucking crazy right there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I was showering, I twisted very slightly and reached for the shampoo.

Very mild pop in right knee, like popping a knuckle.

Crippled. Has been hurting for several months and if I squat down a bit the knee shifts.

Fricking old age. The abuse my body has taken and I get wrecked showering ??
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

wtf?!  did you have a chest tube or anything else?  sounds shitty either way, sorry internet friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I "froze" part of my diaphragm (or partially paralyzed, I guess) while ice climbing.

Foot blew, I caught myself with my arm fully extended above my head, felt a bit of a "tug" in my torso but ignored it and finished out the day. Ended up having some difficulty getting a full breath for a bit. Went to the doc and she ended up shoving what felt like her whole damn hand under my ribcage. That seemed to loosen things up, but it felt weird as hell. Ended up having to do some weird rehab exercises like trying to breathe with heavy books on my chest.

Felt weird. Do not recommend.

Nah, doc basically just “popped” it and it got probably 80% better right then and there. Weird damn feeling, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. I like scraping a grate anyhow  but holy shit man the brush sounds lethal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had claw marks from under my left armpit, up to my right shoulder and, in the middle of the marks where a fleshy nub had once resided, was a bloody nipple root, only hinting at my left pec's former glory.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/6qf61a_jpg-2494595.JPG

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked a fatality once where a water company worked was digging a Dutch with a backhoe, so had the rear wheels jacked up on the stabilizers, but only like 6 inches or so.  Gets out to check something, and leaves it running.  Walks by the rear wheel, and it snagged his pants leg and dragged him under.  Squeezed him into the 6 inch space between the road surface and the wheel.

Worked another where a crew was taking down those stupid Christmas decorations that go on light posts.  Too lazy to put the bucket down driving from one light to the next and went under a railroad bridge with the bucket a few inches higher than the bottom of the bridge with a guy in the bucket.  Scraped him right out of the bucket.  And they knew the bridge was there.  They had already gone under it going down the opposite side of the street.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Might not qualify as a serious injury but could have been a worse situation.  Before i worked at this printing place, the owners son ran the newspaper press.  For some reason he decided to clean one the rollers on this thing while it was going at medium speed.  Well one of his figers got sucked in and he managed to hit the stop button.  They are placed all over the press.  Luckily his finger went into two rubber rollers and not metal ones.  So he was stuck because you cant reverse the press unless you use a bar on the main shaft.

So he started screaming and yelling for help but it was lunch time. Everyone was out and it took an hour before anyone got back and noticed the comotion.  If it had happened on weekend no one would have been back for 60+ hours.  I saw the finger that was sucked in and it kind of flat.  Guy was lucky.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When I was in junior high one day I was standing in the lunch line and all of a sudden one of the guys in line just collapses to the ground screaming. He can't get up, ambulance ends up coming. His leg broke while he was just standing in line. He was one of the tallest, skinniest guys in school. I always wondered if he had pre existing injury or he had literally grown too fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked with a guy that broke his ankle just walking down the hallway at work, didn't slip and fall or anything.

When I was in junior high one day I was standing in the lunch line and all of a sudden one of the guys in line just collapses to the ground screaming. He can't get up, ambulance ends up coming. His leg broke while he was just standing in line. He was one of the tallest, skinniest guys in school. I always wondered if he had pre existing injury or he had literally grown too fast.

I recall a patient years ago that had a similar incident. Turned out a bone tumor was growing in her femur and weakened the integrity of the bone to the point that it just…broke
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Couple of months ago a good buddy of mine was changing the bearing on his boat trailer. Gave the tire one final spin and caught his wrist between the fender and spinning tire. He starts hollaring, I run over and can see the bones in his arm just above his wrist and blood squirting really good. I grab a tourniquet that I keep in my truck and put it on him and get the squirting to stop. I told him we need to call 911 and he insists on not doing that and going to a walk in clinic (he's 64 and pretty much broke, said he couldn't afford to), I told him I'd pay for it and he doesn't really have a choice. Gets an ambulance ride to the hospital, he said the had to reattach the veins or arteries (He couldn't remember)  and stitch him back up. Docs at the hospital said it was a good thing he had a tourniquet close. I'm happy to help him pay his hospital bill
View Quote

God bless you. You're a good man, if we ever meet beers are on me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Couple of months ago a good buddy of mine was changing the bearing on his boat trailer. Gave the tire one final spin and caught his wrist between the fender and spinning tire. He starts hollaring, I run over and can see the bones in his arm just above his wrist and blood squirting really good. I grab a tourniquet that I keep in my truck and put it on him and get the squirting to stop. I told him we need to call 911 and he insists on not doing that and going to a walk in clinic (he's 64 and pretty much broke, said he couldn't afford to), I told him I'd pay for it and he doesn't really have a choice. Gets an ambulance ride to the hospital, he said the had to reattach the veins or arteries (He couldn't remember)  and stitch him back up. Docs at the hospital said it was a good thing he had a tourniquet close. I'm happy to help him pay his hospital bill
View Quote

@Atomicoutdoorsman.

I'm curious, where on his arm did you apply the TQ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Had paid movers once.  4 guys including driver.  Noticed one guy seemed to have the body of a young man with the head of old guy.  Dude was built.  He had a slight limp. In the course of coworker ribbing is age came up.  He was 57 to which I said, “ I hope I all I have at your age is that limp”. He proceeds to tell me he slipped in the rain with a large side by side fridge on the semi’s ramp and it landed on him.  He then said, “I knew I was screwed when I turned my head to the left on the ground and my foot was in my face”
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Another one.

Sitting in ER waiting on tests.  Doc comes in and apologized for wait.  They got slammed.  I make the comment well at least it isn’t like tv ER’s.  She says no it’s often true to life.  Let me add not a big metro area ER.  I ask what’s the worst you’ve seen lately.  She says a dude walks in on his own and the realize he is leaving a bloody smear on floor behind him.  Then they realize he has a plastic bag.  Then they realize his foot was gone at ankle.  Guess what was in the bag?  A lawnmower blade broke off and took his foot..dude drove himself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kid at Eielson AFB ran himself over with an F550 with a fully loaded toolbox bed.  He was doing the daily vehicle checks. Everything had checked out until he got to the reverse lights.  Being a noob he didn't want to ask for help, so he got the bright idea to chock the rear tires, fire up the truck, pop it in reverse and go check to see if the lights worked.  They did.  But as he was initialing the paperwork the truck rather predictably jumped the chocks and started heading toward him.  Had he been smart he might have tried to jump in the truck and hit the brakes.  But no, he was convinced he was strong enough to stop a one and a half ton truck sliding across an icy parking lot.  So he grabbed the bumper and pushed as hard as he could.  Then he lost his footing.  He managed to hold on to that bumper for just a few more seconds as he was being dragged beneath the truck, but eventually he couldn't hold on anymore.  Both rear tires and the front tire went over his torso.  Not once did he cry out or scream for help.  The people inside didn't know anything was wrong until they heard the crash of truck running into a head bolt outlet.  The kid got choppered down to Anchorage where he was immediately transferred to a plane and flown down to Seattle.  You'd think having a fully loaded one and a half ton truck run you over wild cause some pretty severe injuries, probably break a few bones, likely even kill you.  He came out of it with nothing more than some minor internal bleeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was in a motorized infantry company in the Danish army, one of the Unimog drivers accidentally ran himself over.  

On the Mog, you can set the throttle with a hand lever, so when we were driving in some.terrain (with some wheel.ruts) he set the gas to.keep the vehicle going at.relatively low speed, and got out and ran next too the truck to say hi to us in the back.

As he was running back to the cab  to get back in, he slipped and fell into the rut and went under the rear wheels.

He wasn't seriosuly injured, and it was fucking hilarious to have witnessed someone literally running themselves over with a truck.  

What’s the saying, if you’re gone be dumb you gotta be tough?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Internal bleeding from the aorta from a table saw accident.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#36]
A guy I worked with years ago was driving in Wisconsin on 94 west late at night to go fishing. He had a friend with him too. Can't remember who was driving but out of nowhere a tire crashed through the windshield and killed him immediately. Closed casket at the funeral. His friend was fine. The tire came off a truck that had been going in the opposite direction, rolled across the grassy median right into his car.

I rented a boat in the keys in 2013 for 3 days from a newer outfit (Brian Aronoff) at the time. Had a great experience. Came back the next year with some friends, rented a boat from the same place for a week, and had a disaster on our very first day. After several hours anchored over a mound in Hawk's Channel, our boat started sinking with 3 divers in the water. A series of bad decisions were made trying to rectify the situation.

Ultimately no one got seriously injured except I sustained a pretty bad gash on my leg (needed staples) which I didn't even feel happen due to the adrenaline. Sea Tow just barely beat the coast guard there and saved the boat from completely sinking. It wanted to capsize many times but we were able to throw our body weight around to keep it from doing so, which is when my leg got cut. All the divers were picked up without injury.

Anyway, we shouldn't have been given that boat. There was a fuel issue with it where it would stall. A big metal storage bin with sharp edges (I pulled it out when the boat started sinking to block the open transom so our gear wouldn't float out and it's what I cut my leg on) needed to be removed from the side and this grenade looking device would need to be primed in order to restart the boat. It only happened once about 15 minutes after picking it up. Should've taken that as a sign to turn around, complain, and get a new boat. What actually caused the boat to sink was the bilge pump failing or getting clogged with fish scales (per the rental agency).

Up until this point, I had only dealt with a lady who I think was named Cathy. After the boating incident (also had to speak with FWC), I asked Cathy where was Brian? Thought for sure the owner of the business would've come out for that debacle. She said he had died within the last month. Flabbergasted, I asked how. She said he was helping a customer who's boat rental stalled, was priming the fuel line (sounded identical to the fuel issue on our boat), when the boat came to life and he was thrown out of the back. The propeller cut his femoral artery and he pretty much died right there.

Very sad. I asked if we had the same boat. She said no, most definitely not, but it's lurked in the back of my mind over the years. I mean, how common is this type of issue? What she described happening to Brian was very close to the issue on our boat, even though it was the bilge pump that did us in. We got a much better rental the next day and salvaged the rest of the trip. Was able to get some more diving in on the last day although that probably wasn't a good idea with a stapled up leg.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Half of these stories really sound like you guys are copy/pasting from a Final Destination script.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Girl at a Mc Donald's I worked at got her titties stuck in the Big Mac bun toaster.  
It was a two level, heavy steel contraption that you lowered on to the buns.  
She hollered "My titties!" when it happened.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49496/606CB42E-9BAB-4448-82B9-41D997D74ADC_jpe-2494902.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fellow worked as a propane/gas delivery man.  While he was screwing a cap on a gas bottle, a tiny steel splinter became lodged in his finger.  He took a pen knife and tried to work it out.

He developed an infection and toxic shock.  He was dead within 36 hours.

Woman working at Taco Bell got her breast caught in a tomato wedger and severed her nipple.

Girl at a Mc Donald's I worked at got her titties stuck in the Big Mac bun toaster.  
It was a two level, heavy steel contraption that you lowered on to the buns.  
She hollered "My titties!" when it happened.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49496/606CB42E-9BAB-4448-82B9-41D997D74ADC_jpe-2494902.JPG
OMG I'm dead, that is hilarious. You seriously made my day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Stepped over a CAUTION tape barricade, swinging my arm to counterbalance, and stabbed myself in the foot with the angle iron I was carrying. Hit just above the steel toe cap and broke my pinky toe AGAIN.

Buddy was manually driving a ground rod with a TPost driver. Went too high and slammed his hand down onto the rod instead of the driver. Through and through.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It fucking was!

When i got stationed at Polk I was on the Rugby team again.  My battalion commander sent me to Polk because they had a good Rugby team.

I actually left NTC between the manuever and live fire phases to play Rugby in San Antonio.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Military softball is actually pretty serious business. We were once on a sucky FTX up in frozen Germany and the company softball team got to make a quick exit stage right and go play in big tournament that lasted for weeks

It fucking was!

That shit need to be abolished. Waste of manpower.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Many many years ago I was working in a screen print shop with a bunch of automated machinery and one of the guys got his arm (between his shoulder and elbow) trapped under a very large, hinged part of one of the presses. The safety switch failed and the machine froze up. If the cycle were to continue without some kind of interruption, there were other parts that would shift sideways and probably break his upper arm in half in a split second (not clean off, but very likely a vicious fracture would happen).

I shut the main power off and got three other guys to hold the parts that would allow the machine to rotate sideways while I crawled under the machine and put a 3 foot pipe wrench around the main drive shaft to turn the cam that would open the hinge. Another guy grabbed the poor fellow who was stuck to yank him out once the big hinge opened because everything else was about to happen pretty fast. I turned the cam, the hinge opened up, the others pulled back as long as they could while jam boy got pulled out of harms way.

Meanwhile, I was still clinging onto that pipe wrench pulling as hard as I could when all the pressure was released and suddenly got thrown upward and smashed my noggin into an internal I-beam that supported the machine. I was fine. The guy with the pinched arm had a huge bruise, but that was it. About a year later I had developed some kind of bone spur where I hit my head.. thought I was turning into a unicorn. I removed it with my Uncle Henry and stopped the transformation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw a girl take a javelin through her leg during track practice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Friend of mine had a mowing business on the side about 10 years ago.  He was riding his zero turn under some low trees and a branch scratched his head... not bad, no stitches. Repercussions from that scratch was an unidentifiable fungal infection that resulted in 20% of his skull being removed and 3 years of rehabilitation.
View Quote

There was a guy here years-ago who got a severe MRSA or similar infection from a scratch on his neck/shoulder sustained climbing into a hunting blind.

Shit's scary.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#44]
A friend had his knee snap and bend backwards while pushing his kid on a swing.

He blamed it on a hit he took to it in a mosh pit ~10-years-earlier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While we hunting coyotes, a friend was climbing a barbed wire fence and somehow lost control and fell on a t-post. The t-post went up his armpit barely missing an artery, I believe. Lots of blood and a gnarly wound.
View Quote

One of my old bosses was a big guy, 400+ big.

He has a big ranch in south Texas. He was down there filling protein feeders and he fell off one of the feeders and impaled himself on a t-post through both butt cheeks.

The ranch hand had to go get a Sawzall to cut the t-post off at the ground and then load the boss into the UTV and drive him back to the ranch house then on to the hospital. Trip took several hours. He said it was really fucking painful.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Atomicoutdoorsman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Atomicoutdoorsman.

@theoldrepublic

Just above his elbow with a cat tourniquet. He was yelling it was tight enough, guess because of the pain, but I gave it one more crank. It was my first time ever applying one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Stepped over a CAUTION tape barricade, swinging my arm to counterbalance, and stabbed myself in the foot with the angle iron I was carrying. Hit just above the steel toe cap and broke my pinky toe AGAIN.

Buddy was manually driving a ground rod with a TPost driver. Went too high and slammed his hand down onto the rod instead of the driver. Through and through.
View Quote

We (me, my wife, and in laws) were putting up no climb livestock fence and t-posts down in Taylor, TX. My FIL and I were trading off pounding the posts.

While he was pounding away, he caught the edge of the pounder on one of the t-post nubs and bounced it right into his skull at high speed. The sound was ...unpleasant. We're pretty sure he walked off a fractured skull that day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]
1980  Good friend had a flat tire, he started jacking up the car and was struck with lightning, storm was rolling in. killed him dead, just got married, and had a beautiful little girl.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After my freshman year of college, I went back home for the summer.
After a year of drinking beer, fishing, hiking and doing just about everything but school, I was pretty much broke. Since I wanted to continue drinking beer, fishing, hiking, etc. I figured I needed a job.
One of my buddies was managing a Denny's at night and told me all about the crazy tips the bar crowd would leave.  I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea since I could work at night and have days free to do as I pleased.
It turned out to actually be kind of a fun gig. It was kind of a trashier mishmash of "Waiting," "Clerks," and "The Slamming Salmon."
Late nights were awesome. We got the bar crowd looking to sober up and the late night regulars with all their ridiculous stories.
Every once in a while, people would bring their drama with them from whatever bar or club they were at and brief shouting matches and scuffles were pretty common.
One night, I was dropping off an order to one of our lonely regulars in the corner booth when two "600 Pound Life" candidates started talking shit to each other at the booths on either side of him.
It wasn't all that unusual, so late-night-loner-Larry chuckled and told me it looked like another show was brewing.
About the time I got back to the counter, I heard Titans colliding behind me and the sound of two brutes fencing with cured hams.
I turned and saw two of the biggest women I'd ever laid eyes on going at it. The corpulent monstrosity of a Staypuft walrus was pulling gobs of weave out of the mastodon's hair and the wooly mammoth was using her talons to scoop the fromunda from the aquatic mammal's facial folds. Meanwhile, the surrounding tables were being thrown asunder, sending sticky spatterings of syrup and jelly on and around all the nearby patrons.
Now, I don't mean to brag or nothing, but I'm pretty goddamn big and strong; I knew that I was going to be the only one capable of separating the gargantuan women and breaking up the maelstrom. I propelled all 5'7", 175lbs of well-caffeinated college kid into the midst of the adipose-altercation. I had my size, strength, and confidence going for me, I knew I'd have it sorted with a quickness: I was wrong.
I was consumed into the fracas and learned what it felt like to become part of an unholy Cronenberg-esque abomination. I could not disengage, the roiling mass of humanity would not let me go. I was getting punched, scratched, pounded, sandwiched; I bought the ticket now I had to take the ride. Some eternity later, the gladiatrices ended their rampage and left in their wake a scene of utter bedlam with a thoroughly defeated Dylan at the nucleus of their wanton destruction.
When the dust had settled, it fell on us lowly employees to pick up the remnants of our once proud dining establishment. Somewhere between dislodging part of a weave from a ceiling fan and replacing loner-Larry's Moons Over My Hammy due to a fake fingernail finding its way onto his dinner, I realized that I had some red liquid all down the front of me. At first I hoped it was jelly or some kind of syrup, but the consistency was wrong. I was then horrified at the prospect that one of the beasts and spilled its gore on me. After removing my uniform shirt, what had happened became all too clear. I had claw marks from under my left armpit, up to my right shoulder and, in the middle of the marks where a fleshy nub had once resided, was a bloody nipple root, only hinting at my left pec's former glory.

Copied from my post in the last thread we did like this
View Quote

@dtux - that's piccolo level story telling.  Do you write fiction on the side?  If not, consider it.  I might even read it (and most of the time I'm busy reading non-fiction).
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#50]
@dtux

The corpulent monstrosity of a Staypuft walrus was pulling gobs of weave out of the mastodon's hair and the wooly mammoth was using her talons to scoop the fromunda from the aquatic mammal's facial fold
View Quote

I don’t care who you are, this is some Ralph Waldo level verse.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top