BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EAA bounty hunter SSA is a fantastic gun.
Comes as a 9shot .22lr with a .22mag cylinder, every bit as good as a ruger single 9
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/641459_ts.jpg
View Quote

Came to post this.

I have the nickel pictured on top, bought used, great shooter! Do not under any circumstances get an ammonia based cleaner on the nickel(at least not too long) ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
617 is the way to go.     But if cost is big issue look at ruger.   But after that not big fan
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The 617 is awesome. Get one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
High Standard Double-Nine (9 shot DA) was pretty much the industry standard in the 70's-80's.

The 5" Natchez model was my favorite.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of these. Arminius HW-7. Surprisingly high quality for a "cheap" 22lr revolver. 8 shot.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
317 kit gun 4"
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
High Standard Sentinel Mk IV snubnose
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Apparently we're in the minority against the 617 owners. I don't mind.
View Quote

I actually started out looking for the Ruger but couldn't find one in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You should know that Ruger SUCKS, no matter the product/turd!  All the well made, old revolvers are all 6 shot.  If you want more than 6rds of .22, get an auto!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should know that Ruger SUCKS, no matter the product/turd!  All the well made, old revolvers are all 6 shot.  If you want more than 6rds of .22, get an auto!
View Quote

I've never had an issue with any of my Ruger's, also in regards to revolvers that hold more than six rounds why the hell not
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Cylinder lock smiths

Take a ruger or that break action over that
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

you should know you need more life experience
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cylinder lock smiths

Take a ruger or that break action over that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That dumb lock just kills those revolvers
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like the 17's and 18's better than the 617 but I'd get the 617 out of the options out there. Actually I'd get a Buckmark if I wanted something that held more than 6. As I get close to 60 I really do act more and more like an old man!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you don't mind used a Harrington Richardson 922 comes to mind. They can usually be had for about $125-150 if you shop around. Maybe even cheaper.
View Quote

I have one of these. It's kind of a dog but it works
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Those are nice but spendy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Prelock S&W Stainless .22s are the best .22s.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had one back in the day. It was a 6 shot, very accurate. Sold it to a fellow arfcommer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
I'm going to say nope to that one. The cylinder stops timing correctly after about 800 rounds and then you start getting bullet shavings coming out of the cylinder gap. Casings like to get caught under the ejector too
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had one back in the day. It was a 6 shot, very accurate. Sold it to a fellow arfcommer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm told the older models can be fitted with a 10 round cylinder but I'm not sure how much of a project that would be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
High Standard model R-106 or R-107.

No longer in production but can be found used. 9 shot capacity.
View Quote

These were really nice guns. Called the 'Sentinel':
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any of the old High Standard line of nine-shot revolvers. I happen to like the Sentinel....Dad carried one on his trap lines for 40 years and it never failed him.

This is my deluxe model.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/209hvvc.jpg
View Quote

I've got the same in blue. Great little revolver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Top-break .22s are best .22s, at least for shooting enjoyment.

If you can't find a H&R 999 or Sportsman, Iver Johnson made a Supershot Sealed 8 which is a cheaper alternative.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Taurus makes a 9 shot .22 revolver but you said "good".
View Quote

Mine failed within 500 rounds. 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
High Standard model R-106 or R-107.

No longer in production but can be found used. 9 shot capacity.
View Quote

These are really well made guns . I owned 1 I wish I had kept it
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No proper revolver holds more than six rounds.
View Quote

Correct, only the improper, well thought out, modern technology embracing badass ones do.  Who wants to be proper?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm going to say nope to that one. The cylinder stops timing correctly after about 800 rounds and then you start getting bullet shavings coming out of the cylinder gap. Casings like to get caught under the ejector too
View Quote
I never experenced this problem. But I'm sure there are a few lemons out there. At approx $150 the old H&R sportsman line of pistols are hard to beat for hunting and plinking. Sure if spend more $$ you will get a better pistol.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/mazdaoffroad/72adbc8a1edf2482a9b541e4678364ad.jpg
View Quote

I've heard of the Sentinel. Mas Ayood mentioned them in one his books
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a taurus 94 4 inch in stainless that has been a great little snake gun. it isn't pretty but it shoots straight and goes bang every time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Taurus makes a 9 shot .22 revolver but you said "good".
View Quote

This, I have one it is a turd, less than 100 rounds through it and the transfer bar broke.  Now this a MIM part with no fitting.  WIll they sell me one much less replace it for free under their warrantee oh FUCK NO.  I have to pay to send it to them, so they can put it in.  May the fuck be upon taurus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]
High Standard Sentinel.  Picked up two in the last year or so.  Decent revolvers at a fair price.  Both of mine work great.  Still pretty easy to find.  I think I paid $225 for one and $110 for the other (a rather distressed nickel gun).  Discontinued for decades but Numrich still has parts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't go wrong with a 617.
My wife got me one for my birthday years ago. 10 shot, pre lock,4".
Its by far my favorite .22 revolver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I have one just like that.  It was my grand father's pistol he carried while fishing and hunting.  It's pretty accurate shooting single action, certainly on par with my Ruger Mk II.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's not just the lock, that's removable, it's what they did to the frames to accommodate the lock. The classic lines of the frames were altered (except for the N, it was big enough as-is) to make room for the abomination.

A real classic Model 36 vs. the post-lock "Classic" version. I'll forgive the longer 'Magnum' cylinder even though personally I dislike .357 out of a J it still looks good. But the shape of the frame is like nails on a chalkboard . . .

Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#38]
S&W Model 63Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any of the old High Standard line of nine-shot revolvers. I happen to like the Sentinel....Dad carried one on his trap lines for 40 years and it never failed him.

This is my deluxe model.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/209hvvc.jpg
View Quote
My Dad had one for years as well, and I have one to my son. 

The R101 and 102 didn't have a spring return on the ejector, which meant that most of them have scars on the frame where the owner tried to close the cylinder without manually retracting the ejector rod. 

Sears also carried them under the JC Higgens name. 

It really was an innovative design. The cylinder didn't use a conventional pawl and ratchet, so they almost never went out of time. And it theoretically could be dry fired, as the cylinder has a cutout for the hammer. 
And I've also heard they fit perfectly in a J frame holster.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

My old man used to have a side break cylinder h&r 9 shot when I was young.  We shot it a lot before he traded it off.  I personally liked it.  It was thin and light.  Wish it was still in the family.  That top break version looks real nice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's not just the lock, that's removable, it's what they did to the frames to accommodate the lock. The classic lines of the frames were altered (except for the N, it was big enough as-is) to make room for the abomination.

A real classic Model 36 vs. the post-lock "Classic" version. I'll forgive the longer 'Magnum' cylinder even though personally I dislike .357 out of a J it still looks good. But the shape of the frame is like nails on a chalkboard . . .

http://www.fototime.com/A013FC1F0428C96/orig.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/A013FC1F0428C96/orig.jpg

They did that to accomodate the internal firing pin mechanism, which preceded the lock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, got the 6"..K frames are the shizzle.

I used to love to hear the butt hurt flow when I was a counter jockey @GM...people want quality, cheap and accurate...then they pick a Mosquito lol..or P22. I would hand them the 617 and they saw the price and would pass.
I am a buy once cry once guy.

A week later they would come in and say this thing suuucks.. O rly..
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a 617 fantastic gun but I bought it because I have a 686.

But it is not cheap, worth it to me, but not cheap
View Quote

This man gets it. All of it.

I had my 6" and am looking for the 8".  Out of my 6, the CCI Mini Mag HPs..are lazers..
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/mazdaoffroad/72adbc8a1edf2482a9b541e4678364ad.jpg

Probably save some money if you found a Model 88 from Sears.   Same gun, different roll marks
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup, got the 6"..K frames are the swizzle.

I used to love to hear the butt hurt flow when I was a counter jockey @GM...people want quality, cheap and accurate...then they pick a Mosquito lol..or P22. I would hand them the 617 and they saw the price and would pass.

A week later they would come in and say this think suuucks.. O rly..
View Quote

In those people's defense, GM probably had a price tag of $900 on the 617.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, got the 6"..K frames are the swizzle.

A week later they would come in and say this think suuucks.. O rly..

Nope, not even close.  $775.00 I paid $750 for mine at my LGS 6 years ago, on a Wed night, at 1650 hrs..my memory on my guns is great, I could not tell you what I had for dinner last night..
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Have 3 Harrington and Richardsons. A great 9 shot nickel plated .22 I bought brand new in the early 80's. 2 others, a snub nose .22 and a 4 inch. All great plinkers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Add me as a fan of the 617. First revolver I ever bought. Always bring it with me on range trips, everyone loves shooting that gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Colt Diamondback on top

S&W 617

The 617 seems like a tank compared w/ the Colt  But either is a blast!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The one I had was pretty accurate even though the trigger was only ok. I wish I'd kept it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd given one of these a thought

however the prices seem to be steadily increasing and since they've been out of production since the mid 80s what is the spare parts situation like?

Aside from that though how do they shoot?

The one I had was pretty accurate even though the trigger was only ok. I wish I'd kept it.

I have one. A decent quality revolver. Accurate with adjustable sights. Break open and auto ejection. Single action trigger is light and breaks clean. Double action is long and heavy. Mine was given to me with no rear sight and a broken main spring. I gut lucky at Numrich Gun Parts.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top