Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the Kursk sank in 350 ft. and 2700 ft. of water?
View Quote

Kursk sank in 350.  The Indonesian submarine, KRI Nanggala, sank in 2700.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Now THAT is a fucked up deal.

I'll take crush depth in a sub anyday.  Those poor bastards got John Clarked all at once.   Exploded.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The part of the submarine that has flooded is dragging the boat down.
The survivors have closed watertight doors and are in their own subdivision.
Electricity may go out and you're in pitch black.  Assuming that minor things like tables and chairs and stuff aren't crashing around.

In general it is said that when a ship is sinking you hear a succession of noises as bulkheads collapse.  So a submarine that has 4-5 watertight compartments wont have them all get crushed at once.
What may be horrific is the massive sound of, say, the engine room imploding, on the other side of your bulkhead, and knowing you're next.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quick at least…Probably so quick you wouldn’t realize what was happening.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The Abyss - Lt. Coffey's death
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple people said it earlier. Actual implosion happens so fast you never even know or feel it. Well, you would probably know what's about to happen, but not when it did.

The diesel engine analogy is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
And the opposite scenario, punch out of a Blackbird w/out a pressure suit, you find yourself in a vacuum.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Grand kids... Mom how did grandpa die?

Mom... Imploded in a submarine.

Grand kids... Cool.

Adding this to my check list of cool ways to go.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
shut off their heaters and closed the door behind them and the tank crumpled overnight. I don't know if there is any truth to the story.
View Quote

The science is settled.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Look up fire pistons. It's kind of like that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not vaporized, just incinerated then immediately crushed to a pulp.

Pretty damn quick way to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine being inside a diesel engine cylinder.... Tremendous heat pressure and you are vaporized

Not vaporized, just incinerated then immediately crushed to a pulp.

Pretty damn quick way to go.

And incredibly fucking metal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Watch the trash compactor scene in Star Wars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what
the
fuck
View All Quotes

They pumped the product out of it without leaving a vent open for air to displace the product.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kursk did not implode. It sank in 350 feet of water, well above crush depth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of the Kursk crew lived for a while.

Kursk did not implode. It sank in 350 feet of water, well above crush depth.

Exactly. Some people need to get their facts straight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quicker'n cancer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you want it slow or fast? Incidentally, an underrated movie.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what
the
fuck
View Quote

And that was 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi")

How many atmospheres at 800m? 1165 psi.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Imagine being inside a diesel engine cylinder.... Tremendous heat pressure and you are vaporized
View Quote

This.   The Extreme water pressure compression forces the air in the compartments to superheated temperatures and ...  

You don't think of that with a submarine accident, but it does happen when hull failure occurs at deep depths.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some of the Kursk crew lived for a while.
View Quote

Didn’t implode, sank and ran out of oxygen
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope its fast, but death is not kind.  I always hope that it is painless, but victims endure immense amount of things that are immeasurable.
View Quote

At least you won't live to talk about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If you hit crush depth, it's very, very fast. If, like on the Kursk, you basically spring a leak and sink to a depth the hull can handle, then it's pretty fucking rough. The visual that always fucked with me was that the Kursk was under less than a boatlength of water.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Didn’t implode, sank and ran out of oxygen
View Quote

Wiki--

"Following salvage operations, analysts concluded that 23 sailors in the sixth through ninth compartments reached refuge in the small ninth compartment and survived for more than six hours. As oxygen ran low, crew members attempted to replace a potassium superoxide chemical oxygen cartridge, which accidentally fell into the oily sea water and exploded on contact. The resulting fire killed several crew members and triggered a flash fire that consumed the remaining oxygen, suffocating the remaining survivors."

Truth was there was no atmosphere in the kurst by the time the russians asked for assistance. Fire or no, they would have been dead. Theres also a good movie on the disaster as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The thing that recently happened in Indonesia got me thinking: what is it like to be in an imploding submarine?

Is it like you get the ever living fuck squished out of you so fast that you don't even feel it?  Or, is it more of a drowning thing?

Discuss.
View Quote
Somebody posted that the near-instant increase in pressure/compression does about the same thing as a diesel engine. The pressure compresses the air and the resulting heat flash-incinerates everything. Sounds like it would happen before anybody knew what was happening...I hope.

Don't know the veracity of that, but it sounds plausible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Fuckin love Kids in the Hall.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The part of the submarine that has flooded is dragging the boat down.
The survivors have closed watertight doors and are in their own subdivision.
Electricity may go out and you're in pitch black.  Assuming that minor things like tables and chairs and stuff aren't crashing around.

In general it is said that when a ship is sinking you hear a succession of noises as bulkheads collapse.  So a submarine that has 4-5 watertight compartments wont have them all get crushed at once.
What may be horrific is the massive sound of, say, the engine room imploding, on the other side of your bulkhead, and knowing you're next.

View Quote

I also wonder how long it took to reach crush depth.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And the opposite scenario, punch out of a Blackbird w/out a pressure suit, you find yourself in a vacuum.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Mo9pbbnbcv0KQ/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Mo9pbbnbcv0KQ/giphy.gif

That's only 1 atm pressure gradient nowhere near as violent, but still an unpleasant way to go.

Soyuz 11 mishap

The autopsy reports remain classified, but it wasn’t a nice way to die. All three men would have had pain in their heads, chests, and abdomens. Then their eardrums would have burst and blood would have trickled from their noses and mouths, which was how they were found in the spacecraft. And it would have taken as long as a minute for them to lose consciousness completely, though they wouldn’t be active; they would be immobilized but aware.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

what
the
fuck
View All Quotes

Mythbusters:  Tanker Crush
How to Make a Train Tanker Implode | MythBusters
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The only thing that would concern me about death, even an instantaneous one, is that the electrical impulses in the brain are near speed-of-light, so the malfunctions caused by death would feel like eternity to many.
View Quote

Don't worry about it - your brain does not operate electrically - it operates chemically, and nerve impulses travel at up to 120 m/s.  You likely wouldn't have time to even notice that the hull was imploding.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#32]
We all live in a imploding  submarine
An imploding submarine, imploding submarine
We all live in a imploding submarine
imploding submarine, imploding submarine
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I would imagine it's not fun, but ends quickly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Rest In Peace to the lost sailors.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I can't imagine the horror of being in a sinking sub, knowing crush depth is coming and working feverishly to try to halt the boat's descent.

The end would be mercifully quick though.

Plenty of our submariners have died that way, especially in WW2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I doubt it would be instantaneous like the tanker crush. The hull would have to be remarkably homogeneous for that to happen. I would expect it to spring leaks, when that happens the internal pressure will equalize with the external. Depending on depths the water coming through would have the cutting power of a light saber. You would not feel the pressure in most parts of your body, human beings being mostly made of incompressible water. Your ears however, would behave like the tanker and immediately implode. Then you drown.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
..... you get the ever living fuck squished out of you so fast that you don’t even feel it?  
View Quote

This is what I would guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is that demonstration where they run a piece of string/rope from both sides of the hull interior, and the deeper
they go, the more the string/rope sags really a thing?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
From an article I read the actual implosion takes ~40mS to occur (.04 seconds), well below the ability of a person to perceive the event. The sailors in that sub knew they were going down but likely weren't aware of the implosion event itself.

The pressure differential would be about 1100psi between inside and outside the hull and when the water did come in it would be moving at close to 1800 mph.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The only thing that would concern me about death, even an instantaneous one, is that the electrical impulses in the brain are near speed-of-light, so the malfunctions caused by death would feel like eternity to many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope its fast, but death is not kind.  I always hope that it is painless, but victims endure immense amount of things that are immeasurable.

Have you ever been knocked out ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I freedive/spearfish, and even at depths of 50-60' I can tell you that the effects of the pressure are noticeable, and oppressive.

Even with a really full breath, once I get down there my lungs feel completely flat and empty.

The wetsuit is squeezing the shit out of your entire body.

Took me a while to become at ease with it.

You'd never feel this with scuba gear where you are re-expanding your chest cavity with new air.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

what
the
fuck
View All Quotes

Pressure Delta, yea it's a thing.  I saw that happen for in with a water surge tank when I was in the refinery, sucked a domed roof inside the tank.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People don't think 15psi be like it is,  but it do.   Plenty of crooked milk silos and beer fermenters out there too.
View Quote

People are used to regular pressure gauges, they read zero when an absolute gauge would be reading 14.7 at sea level.  Working in process you better fully understand what type of gauge you are looking at and how to apply the pressure reading.  For some reason it took a lot of training with some operators to grasp that concept.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, that's the grossest thing I have seen today.
View Quote

What happened to him?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We all live in a imploding  submarine
View Quote

You must be a BLUE Meanie!!!  

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And that was 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi")

How many atmospheres at 800m? 1165 psi.
View Quote

44ish PSI/100ft adds up fast.

That's why the Kursk was "fine" sitting on the bottom waiting for rescue, since it was well within its normal operating depth. These guys were probably long gone before it rested on the bottom. Crush depth was considerably less than the depth of the bottom where they were operating. Like we discussed in the other thread for the missing boat, most of the worlds oceans are much deeper than crush depths outside of research or special purpose submarines. Hopefully it was quick for them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Depends how quick the submarine sank beyond its pressurized abilities.

If it sank slowly, the pressure would build slowly and I'd Imagine an excruciating way to die.

If it sank fast? The hull would probably blow killing every one quickly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Its tough for the families because they think they are going to get a body recovered so they can morn and conduct whatever type of burial process they believe in.

That ship that sank near the Bahamas in a hurricane a few years ago capsized and sank so that crew drowned.  It settled on the floor at 15,000 feet.  Pressure at the level is around 6,500 psi.  
I cant imagine what a human body would look like under that pressure, guess you would be the size of a basketball or smaller.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top