Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.
View Quote

Listen Jack, I haven't done anything to you.  Leave me alone, I'm just trying to survive in this big world like the rest of you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
20 year ago, we found a fox den and cubs in a retaining wall, they were so much fun to watch

for some reason they have basically disappeared in the last 10 years around here
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The year I had a den in my yard was great, very fun to watch.  Lots of rabbit paws accumulated, only one pheasant foot and a tiny deer hoof.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Watching over his kits in my field last year.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Sit back and enjoy watching them. We have a gazebo in our backyard that a momma fox raises a few pups under every spring. I’ll watch her come and go in the morning and once the cubs get big enough to venture out it’s fun to watch them play in the yard in the evening.

Foxes normally make temporary dens close to residences to raise their pups in. They do this because most other predators that would kill the pups won’t normally come close to houses. Once the pups get big enough she will move them back into the woods.

Foxes and coyotes are territorial. If you have foxes around you usually won’t have coyotes since they don’t like to share territory. I’d much rather have foxes then coyotes, they also do a great job of keeping the rodent population under control.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Just let them be, have some cool nature to watch.  They will leave soon anyway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Leave them be, they are good to have around, and they are cute.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I put leftover chicken wings, rotisserie chicken bones, etc outside every night on our rear patio.

Fred and Wilma( we named them) chomp them up that night.

I enjoy seeing them out and about. Started coming around during daytime too...

We live right next to Atlanta...end of the silver comet trail backs up to our place. I figure that's where they're coming from.
View Quote

Don’t give cooked bones to dogs, cats or foxes. Raw only. Cooked ones perfect bowels.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I had an old parts  car with the engine out of it behind my mom's house for years and it became a fox den 2 years ago. Momma fox had 4 kits.  When I sold the car and went to move it there were hundreds of pelts lining the engine bay, rabbits, mice, mink, muskrats, bird feathers of all kinds...  momma fox kept her little ones well fed.

They are harmless, the neighbors have outdoor cats and the foxes left them alone.  Though there is a little terrier down the way I wish she would have eaten...

It was fun to watch the kits paly as they grew up, if you went outside they would be completely unaware of you and just kept pouncing on each other and running around.  Momma fox would just look at you and turn her head... like "See what I put up with"  and then call them back to the den.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If they are not bothering you let them be.

I have some that have been going after my chickens, I see one of those fuckers and they won't be walking away.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I can give you Phil's #.

Don't move them.
Either let them be or kill them all.

I'm very protective of my foxes.
Till trapping season...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Be thankful it wasn't skunks or raccoons that moved in and when they move out help the neighbor seal the den entrance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FPNI

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
shoot shovel and shut up
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Leave them alone. It's pretty rare for most people to even see a fox at a bar let alone in the wild.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Foxes are cool, this is Lenny at a local wild animal rescue, he cannot be released, due to his being too friendly to humans.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100419/1C1C112A-5894-4896-82EF-E2860C6C1D46_jpe-1901880.JPG
View Quote

Watching the videos of people with rescue foxes is always neat, they act like weird dogs that make a funny laugh constantly. There have been some attempts to make domesticated breeds.

I like watching them but coyotes have really pushed them out around here. I saw several last year but none so far this year.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
They are the only thing that keeps the chipmunk population down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Leave them be
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Very cool.

Couple years ago I had a den on the hill behind barn, you could hear little yapping sounds and then eventually the two little ones emerged in the yard.

It was cool watching them grow up and hunt, they were so little but would walk around yard like they owned it.

We have skunks as well and one time there was a skunk and the foxes in yard within 30 feet of each other, the skunk paid no attention and the foxes avoided the skunk, lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Had some pups in our neighborhood a few years back.  It was enjoyable to watch them grow up.  Still see an adult now and then and wonder if it's one of the pups.  My vote is to just enjoy seeing them.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#24]

That looks like a cross between a fox and a raccoon. WTF?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I love the suggestions on TRAPPING foxes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#26]
They're no threat to anything unless you've got chickens. There's a large park directly behind my house and every year I think the same red foxes come back to den under a maintenance shed back there. I enjoy sitting on the deck and watching the kits playing and practice hunting out back early in the mornings.

Leave them be.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They're no threat to anything unless you've got chickens. There's a large park directly behind my house and every year I think the same red foxes come back to den under a maintenance shed back there. I enjoy sitting on the deck and watching the kits playing and practice hunting out back early in the mornings.

Leave them be.

View Quote

I want to sit outside and watch the kits play.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Get a hound dog puppy and let it befriend one of the fox kits.

Then, teach it to hunt and unleash it on its former best friend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I let them be, unless they are messing with my dogs or damaging something.

I have 3 Game Cams that I move around and get pics of animals that hang out on our property.

Lately, seems like I only see deer. Not sure were the ground hogs, foxes and wild turkey went.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
20 year ago, we found a fox den and cubs in a retaining wall, they were so much fun to watch

for some reason they have basically disappeared in the last 10 years around here
View Quote

Either too much development or coyotes took over the area and drove them out. I loathe coyotes and do my part to try and keep their numbers down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.
View Quote

Kill more coyotes

kwg
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgrGbnxKpW4

I want a pet fox to play with my GSD
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave them be.

They're amusing to watch. If it's early enough in the morning before the dog walkers hit the park mama sits up on a picnic table and watches over them.

My dog finally figured out that barking at them from the fence is futile so thankfully she gave that up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd watch them.   Maybe take a picture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#38]
First time in a while that I'm actually proud of arfcom. The bulk of the responses are watch and enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Please send them to my backyard.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Enjoy your new friends, they are fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#42]
You can do as you please regarding the foxes .

But it is understood in my area that they have a higher than normal probability of being carriers of rabies .

Keep an eye on them .

If any appear sickly then act .

gd

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Did you make them birthday cakes?

DixieDo fox ?? 4th birthday ??

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASIDV6gt64
View Quote

That fox is a fatty. The owner shouldn't make that fox so chonk
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
foxes? They generally aren’t gonna go after even toy breed dogs or small cats. More rodents/ground nesting birds. Leave them be. Unless your neighbors like to let their hamster out in the back yard everyone’s probably safe.
View Quote

I had a funny thing happen related to this. I used to have chickens which attracted the attention of the local fox population. They were relentless, probably lost 70 to 80 chickens over a few years, I killed at least 6 of the foxes.

Anyway one morning I was in the front yard about to leave for work when I heard this strange loud barking and something running toward me from the back yard. Then I see one of my cats running to me with a fox right on his tail barking like mad. So I attempt to scare the fox by running at it yelling, but with the adrenaline pumping I end up slipping because the grass was wet from the morning dew and my feet were sliding like I was on ice. I tumble forward and I attempt to tuck and roll to break my fall. I end up hitting the ground hard and bruising my rib, but I did scare the fox off. After that day I have been that cats favorite human.

I never was able to get that particular fox. He had a very distinctive face. I had several opportunities to get him, that were spoiled because my kids would see me slipping out the front door with my rifle and they wanted to see the fox in the back yard, so they opened the back to to take a look and would scare him off. Little bastard eventually killed almost all our birds but a few. So we gave the rest away and got out of raising chickens.

I think foxes are beautiful, but my feelings about them have been tainted because of the chickens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASIDV6gt64

Finnegan agrees and stole her cake.

Finnegan Fox steals Dixie's birthday cake ??

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]
There's no denying the kits are cute sumbitches !
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Fun to watch.  We have a family that dens here, fairly regularly.  Occasionally catch them crossing the yard with a duck egg, turkey egg, and such; heading back to their den.  Catch the kits playing in the driveway with momma watching them.  When the kits get older, catch them at night taking them out and about the property.  Curious little buggers.  About the only predators we have that haven't gone after the chickens, since we have ducks, they go after the duck eggs instead.  

As long as they appear healthy, and do not start acting erratic, I leave them be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Leave them alone
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top