Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John Smith;

Cael Sanders;

Alexander Karelin.
View Quote
If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No one has been as good as Reggie White and Jerome Brown at defensive end.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't read the whole thread, I'm midway through page 3 but am I the first to mention Lance Armstrong? Yeah I get it, he was on the juice. So was everyone else. That's how you know it was an even playing field.

It's kind of like the Mr. Olympia. It's an open secret that everyone is on the shit so nobody cares. To that effect I would have to mention Ronnie Coleman. They're still nobody that freakishly big.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
McGrath was the better Supercross racer, but Little Ricky was the better overall racer (Moto/Supercross).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Michael Jordan is the obvious choice.  But there were plenty of other athletes who were essentially unbeatable at their peak.  Usain Bolt sprinting, Jeremy McGrath at supercross, Tucker Hibbert in Snocross.  
Um RC?
RC had 48 supercross wins.  JM had 72.  In his prime, he was unbeatable in supercross.
I lived through the McGrath years.  He was a machine.  RC was too, but I'd give the edge to McGrath.   He was also a whizbang freestyler and all-around psyco.
McGrath was the better Supercross racer, but Little Ricky was the better overall racer (Moto/Supercross).
You're probably right. RC was a bit after my time, to be honest, though I was really impressedwith him early in his career.

I was a big Dowd fan after watching him run up at 338 a few times.  He was fearless.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No one has been as good as Reggie White and Jerome Brown at defensive end.
View Quote
Reggie was outstanding!   

Some football greats for me:

Jerry Rice

Jack Lambert

Joe Montana 

Marcus Allen

Tony Dorsett

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob (Hurricane) Hannah.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
At one point in my life, I played racquetball 7 days a week.  Marty Hogan was unstoppable during the 70s and even a bit into the early 80s.  He intimidated people like you would not believe.  Racquetball, outdoor racquetball and also paddleball.  Marty was also partly responsible for getting the game launched nation-wide.

He was in the finals of a big tournament once and just prior to first serve he walks to the court door, opens it and yells out:  

Somebody order me a cheeseburger because this isn’t going to take long!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
George Digweed
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He scored 1.88 points per game to Gretzky's 1.92. It would have been close.

And Edmonton won the cup the year AFTER Gretzky went to L.A., no way Pittsburgh wins a cup without Lemieux.
View Quote
What? No.

Jaromir Jagr
Ron Francis
Paul Coffey
Larry Murphy
Tom Barrasso

Those are the Hall of Famers I can think of right off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more. There was also pre-crackpipe Kevin Stevens who would have been HOF material and a bunch of other really solid guys. That team was DEEP. Then there was Lemieux's muscle; cock-sucking shitbag motherfucker Ulf Samuelsson.

Lemieux was definitely a phenomenal talent and it sucks that his career was cut short. But he was a different player than Gretzky. Lemieux was a one-man show and the best one on earth. Gretzky elevated his entire team, then stood head and shoulders above them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Gretzky
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mike Tyson as a fighter.

Muhammad Ali as a boxer.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
John Smith;

Cael Sanderson;

Alexander Karelin.
View Quote
People no one has ever heard of.
So hip. So cool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Doyle Preston
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Three I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Daniel Horner in 3 gun.

Jerry Miculek in ICORE.

Warren Johnson in NHRA Pro Stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Because you said "athlete", I really can't say Babe Ruth, though he is the Greatest Ball player of ALL time!  For Athlete, definitely Lawrence Taylor!  He changed the way teams drafted players, formed offenses, dominated the game every time he stepped on the field!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Wilt Chamberlain   Basketball
Jim Brown Football
Dan Gable Wrestling
Babe Ruth Baseball
Bobby Jones Golf
Michael Phelps Swimming
Jim Thorpe Track and field

basketball, baseball and football probably should be broken up into positions
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of guys posted in this thread that aren't really athletes, but whatever.

Alexsandr Karelin has an official record of 887-2. No, that's not a typo. Cael Sanderson won eight straight championships between high school and college, including a 159-0 run in his college career. He lost a few times in international competition, but given the difficulty of wrestling (something I did for 15 years or so), this is incredible. Folkstyle wrestling does not allow for mistakes or bad days. Sanderson dominated in a way that nobody else probably ever will.

Secretariat, if he wanted to run, could NOT be beaten. There's a reason this horse holds all three track records, including one that will almost certainly never be beaten (Belmont, 1973). The horse had a heart (read: engine) about two and a half times the size of the average racehorse, which is not something another horse can overcome. Watching that horse run the Belmont is awe-inspiring from a pure dominance perspective. (Side note: Penny Chenery died today at the age of 95.) I'd also add Ruffian, and while she died on the track she never even trailed at any point in any race (excluding the one that proved fatal).

Johnny Weissmuller, otherwise a trivia answer, is also worth mentioning. He never officially lost and basically swam, dominating the entire world, as an afterthought, as though he were a bored child squashing bugs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Tom Brady

G.O.A.T.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bo Jackson
View Quote
He could of but unfortunately he got hurt way too young. He was a absolute joy to watch him play.

I am not a Raiders fan btw.

I would have to go with Michael Jordan,Babe Ruth,Jerry Rice
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#20]
This got me thinking about a related topic: dominant players on dominant teams.

My opinion? The '70s Steelers. Four Super Bowl championships in six years ('74, '75, '78, '79) with one of the "off" years being 1976 and they made it to the AFC Championship game without half their offense and none of their running backs. Their defense that year is widely regarded as the best unit in the history of the NFL, with five shut outs and in the last nine games of the season, they gave up a total of 28 points.

Here are the Hall-of-Famers from that group:

Terry Bradshaw
Mike Webster
Lynn Swann
John Stallworth
Franco Harris
Mean Joe Greene
Jack Lambert
Jack Ham
Mel Blount

Jack Lambert once told a story about being at the Pro Bowl in '76 and looking up and seeing eight guys with Steelers' helmets in the defensive huddle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Michael Schumacher.

5 straight championships, 7 total.

From 2000-2004 he couldn't be touched.
View Quote
John McGuinness

Isle of Man TT career
TT wins23
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Gretzky.
  Phelps

Since I played goal I have to go with Dominik Hasek
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Some sports are easier to dominate by one guy than others.  
for instance a Pro QB may really be good, but if he does not have a good O line, he is toast. Even then if he does not have a good D , then they still could lose.

A tennis player is responsible for his own wins and loses.   A great one could really dominate and get all the credit, same is true for golf.

Basketball is also easier than Football or baseball.

A really good baseball pitcher could have a great ERA and lose the game if his team commits errors or cannot score runs. He could get a no decision if a reliever comes in and loses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Favre
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Michael Jordan - basketball
Wayne Gretzky - ice hockey
Pele - soccer/futbol
Aleksander Karelin - greco-roman wrestling
Wilt Chamberlain - sleeping with tons of women as a side sport to basketball.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#26]
in motoGP. Rossi. yes, I know Agostini retired with more championships to his name, but Rossi at this point has more podiums than any other motoGP rider in history and has remained dominant for so long. shame about the broken leg which will almost undoubtedly knock him out for the rest of the season.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Check this guy out.

I think I'll give 'ol Jahangir my vote.

Jahangir Khan is the most dominant athlete in history. His dominance over the sport of squash throughout the 1980s cannot be matched. From 1981 to 1986 he went unbeaten, which is an incredible achievement given the regularity of squash matches. In that time, he was undefeated in 555 matches, a record which stands in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest winning streak by any athlete in top-level professional sport. Kahn won the World Open six times and the British Open ten times, before fellow Pakistani Jansher Khan began his dominance of the sport. Jahangir Kahn once won the World Championships without dropping a single game, an indication of his sheer dominance.

Won World Amateur Championships at age 15
Youngest ever World Open Champion (aged 17)
Unbeaten in 555 consecutive matches over 5 years and 8 months
Won the British Open Championship 10 times in succession (1982-1993)
Six-times World Open Champion
First player to win World Open Championships without dropping a game
Played the second longest match in the squash history 2.46 h
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Came here to post similar.
G-Man redefined the game.
He did not fit into the game of ice hockey.
He made the game fit him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Great One was a man playing against boys. Most of his records will never be broken.
Came here to post similar.
G-Man redefined the game.
He did not fit into the game of ice hockey.
He made the game fit him.
Man, I know Gretzky was great, but this is stunning, Jersey number 99 retired league-wide by NHL. I never knew that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mike Tyson as a fighter.

Muhammad Ali as a boxer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Ted Williams
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Rosie Ruiz.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wilt Chamberlain   Basketball
Jim Brown Football
Dan Gable Wrestling
Babe Ruth Baseball
Bobby Jones Golf
Michael Phelps Swimming
Jim Thorpe Track and field and baseball, football, and basketball; lacrosse and even ballroom dancing

basketball, baseball and football probably should be broken up into positions
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rosie Ruiz.
View Quote
Bus ted
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
in motoGP. Rossi. yes, I know Agostini retired with more championships to his name, but Rossi at this point has more podiums than any other motoGP rider in history and has remained dominant for so long. shame about the broken leg which will almost undoubtedly knock him out for the rest of the season.

https://msmproduction.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/content/Valentino%20Rossi/46-valentino-rossi-ita-2017-action-australia-motogp-phillip-island-pre-season-test03977_test2017_ambience.gallery_full_top_fullscreen.jpg
View Quote
Rossi is a god.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:48:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Don Bradman.

Played in the 30s and nobody in cricket has come anywhere near. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Michael Phelps
Nadia Comaneci
Valeriy Brumel
Rocky Marciano
Sandy Koufax
Joe Montana
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:35:53 AM EDT
[#37]
One I've not seen mentioned.  Howard Hill, the archer. I know competitive archery is not a major "sport", but that fellow basically dominated archery for half a century.  In that time span, if he decided to compete, he walked away with first place. The guy was a demon with a longbow in his hand.

He did a lot of the archery niche stuff for Hollywood in the old days like shooting stunt men off running horses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Dale Earnhardt, Wayne Gretzky? Someone else?

Who do you think was/is the athlete that was best at what they did and most dominated everyone else in their sport?
View Quote

Cry Young? Babe Ruth? Tom Brady? Greg Maddux?  Ted Williams? Wilt Chamberlain?  So many.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Babe Zaharias
Secretariat
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Mohamed Ali
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Paul Anderson........no one has topped his 6,270lb back lift
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Lance Armstrong - cycling
Ricky Carmichael - supercross
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Haven't read the whole thread, I'm midway through page 3 but am I the first to mention Lance Armstrong? Yeah I get it, he was on the juice. So was everyone else. That's how you know it was an even playing field.

It's kind of like the Mr. Olympia. It's an open secret that everyone is on the shit so nobody cares. To that effect I would have to mention Ronnie Coleman. They're still nobody that freakishly big.
View Quote
Pretty much everyone mentioned in this thread was juiced, even tiger woods who was a big fan of hgh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#44]
#48 Lowes Chevrolet, Jimmie Johnson.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#45]
If your going to bring NASCAR up: Richard Petty.

no one will ever been his win record 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
View Quote
Kurt Angle and Brock Lesner also had huge collegiate careers in wrestling, Brock even got the MMA Title. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Reinhold Messner
Sebastian Loeb
Edwin Moses
Ingemar Stenmark
Katarina Witt
Pele
Al Oerter
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This guy knows what's up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Secretariat.
This guy knows what's up.
Oh, yeah. If Secretariat is included, nobody else is even worth discussing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Rodney Mullen is the greatest,most innovative athlete of our lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
+1

And on the subject of Lebron James.....

Looking at all the Michael Jordan fanboys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Lebron???
+1

And on the subject of Lebron James.....

Looking at all the Michael Jordan fanboys
Kobe > LeBron

LeBron is a baby back bitch.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top