Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Kilian Jornet

Kilian's Wiki

Quite possibly the most fit individual ever to live. Ran up Everest twice in less than a week, dislocated his shoulder 13 miles into the Hardrock 100 this year, and still won, speed records on Denali, the Matterhorn, and multiple wins in some of the toughest ultra's in the world. The man is a monster.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably someone who never lost?  Cael Sanderson
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
George Best.

CR7

Roy Keane
View Quote
Lol

I like the cut of your jib! GGMU!

Gretzky.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because his era of Baseball was heavily ruled to favor pitching. The ball never got replaced during the game, and the pitcher dirtied it up so much, that it became nearly impossible to see it against the backdrop.

And for my own choice, I think Michael Phelps is the most dominant athlete ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cy Young set records that will never be broken.
Because his era of Baseball was heavily ruled to favor pitching. The ball never got replaced during the game, and the pitcher dirtied it up so much, that it became nearly impossible to see it against the backdrop.

And for my own choice, I think Michael Phelps is the most dominant athlete ever.
The mound was 15" high.

But the outfields were enormous in depth and gloves were not as advanced.

There is a great deal to consider when comparing eras. Like nutrition, conditioning, and transportation.

The leagues are watered down with minor league players. There was only 12 teams and none west of the Mississippi until 1958. Lots to consider on both sides of the debate. It's a very interesting discussion.

Edwin Moses
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thinking more about it, Rocky Marciano has to be at or near the top.  49-0, 43 KO's.  Fought real contenders.  Defended his title like a man.
View Quote
True. The man he took the title from, Joe Lewis, was also dominant in his own right. The Roc will always be a legend in combat sports.

I think from 2007-2012 Anderson Silva was the greatest fighter in the world. I think Mighty Mouse Johnson (26-2-1) is perhaps the most dominant champion currently fighting. Not only does he win, he makes great fighters look mediocre, and above average fighters look like they've never fought before.  If he keeps winning over the next couple of years, he will go down as the GOAT.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some years Babe Ruth hit as many home runs as the rest of the American League combined
View Quote
DiMaggio struck out 39 times with 39 HRs one season.

He was crazy good. 56 game hit streak any one?

Joe D struck out 361 times with 369 home runs for his career. The deep fence in left probably cost him 100-125 HRs.

Incredible ball player
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd take
Ed Walsh
Smokey Joe Wood
3 finger Brown
Christy Mathewson
Walter Johnson
or Rube Waddell over him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cy Young set records that will never be broken.
I'd take
Ed Walsh
Smokey Joe Wood
3 finger Brown
Christy Mathewson
Walter Johnson
or Rube Waddell over him
Sandy Koufax

His last 5 seasons were insane. He quit when he was at his best.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Chuck Norris, of course
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A) Secretariat is a fucking horse, and should not be included.

B) Secretariat ran 21 races and lost 5 of them.  Rocky Marciano fought 49 professional fights and lost 0.  Floyd Mayweather Jr is 50-0.
View Quote
Yeah, but did the sport LITERALLY have to retire lil' Floyd because he was almost killing everyone?  LOL no.  They had to put him against an MMA guy for viewing bumps.   

Bodacious was TOO dominant.  So dominant he petrified the opposition into submission before the competition even began.  And yes, horses and bulls belong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tom Brady
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There was only 12 teams and none west of the Mississippi until 1958.
View Quote
Until baseball's first expansion there were 16 teams, and St. Louis is west of the Mississippi, and it had two teams back then.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

DiMaggio struck out 39 times with 39 HRs one season.

He was crazy good. 56 game hit streak any one?

Joe D struck out 361 times with 369 home runs for his career. The deep fence in left probably cost him 100-125 HRs.

Incredible ball player
View Quote
No argument here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So why don't they all get caught?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please dude. Every one of those guys is juiced during training camp. They are doing test, tren and clen to cut and make weight, hgh for recovery, etc.
So why don't they all get caught?
Because you can take short forms of test that are out of your system in a day or two. The stuff Jones just got popped for clears your system in 2 days. His camp is just retarded.

Not to mention the designer stuff they can't even test for yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Michael Schumacher.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this

+ Boris Becker

Oliver Kahn
View Quote
Gerd Muller

The guy had a lifetime average of over 1 goal per game.

I saw something where Beckenbauer said that his ability to go from a dead stop to full ahead on or away from the ball made him impossible to mark because you simply couldn't stay with him regardless of where you were. Guy was a beast, ambidextrous to the extreme, strong, low center of gravity, fast as hell and most importantly, you did not need to focus on 'get him the ball' like you do with Ronaldo. He'd just show up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Jordan
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, but did the sport LITERALLY have to retire lil' Floyd because he was almost killing everyone?  LOL no.  They had to put him against an MMA guy for viewing bumps.   

Bodacious was TOO dominant.  So dominant he petrified the opposition into submission before the competition even began.  And yes, horses and bulls belong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) Secretariat is a fucking horse, and should not be included.

B) Secretariat ran 21 races and lost 5 of them.  Rocky Marciano fought 49 professional fights and lost 0.  Floyd Mayweather Jr is 50-0.

Then ignore Floyd.  Marciano was 49-0, nearly all by knockout.  And no, horses and bulls don't belong in this discussion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Until baseball's first expansion there were 16 teams, and St. Louis is west of the Mississippi, and it had two teams back then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was only 12 teams and none west of the Mississippi until 1958.

Lol
No need to peep !!

I'm wrong and you corrected me no problem

Yes the Browns and the Cardinals.

Accuracy matters !
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I say Phelps.  Those of you who are say guys on teams, how do you justify it when they aren't the sole person out there?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Valentino Rossi
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Give em the heater ricky !
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I say Phelps.  Those of you who are say guys on teams, how do you justify it when they aren't the sole person out there?
View Quote
That does make it a lot tougher, especially in football.  Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor were both almost unstoppable in their prime, which is why they drew so many double teams.  But they still needed a good team to win.  In hoops, MJ was so dominant, he won 6 championships with teams full of mostly average players (other than Pippen).  He clearly dominated the sport, in wins and in individual statistics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lol
No need to peep !!

I'm wrong and you corrected me no problem

Yes the Browns and the Cardinals.

Accuracy matters !
View Quote
I know what you mean though...nothing west of the plains.

Train travel vs Airplanes, playing games jetlagged....

Real baseball fans (which I know from your many years of good posts you are) are great because they understand the different eras and how time and technology changed the game and take those things into consideration. I love baseball becasue its the same game my great grandfather would have watched a hundred years ago.......but in many ways it very hard to compare the stats of Albert Pujols to Jimmie Foxx
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Linda Lovelace.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Wayne Gretzky.  Not even close.  Had he never scored a single goal in his entire career, he would still be the NHL's all time points leader.  No sports has ever seen such dominance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Phelps

Usain Bolt

Carl Lewis

Jordan
View Quote
Bolt and Lewis were both juiced.

10 years from now if they retest samples we will discover what Bolt was taking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#28]
First name that comes to my mind is Iron Mike.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wayne Gretzky.  Not even close.  Had he never scored a single goal in his entire career, he would still be the NHL's all time points leader.  No sports has ever seen such dominance.
View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Michael Phelps

Michael Fred Phelps II is an American competition swimmer and the most decorated Olympian of all time, with a total of 22 medals in three Olympiads.
View Quote
Swimming medals are inflated with similar distances and multiple strokes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Smith;

Cael Sanders;

Alexander Karelin.
If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Babe Zaharias.
Track (and Field) Golf, Baseball, Bowling and any other sport she tried.
Gold and World Record in hurdles.  Gold in Javelin.  Silver in High Jump..1932 Olympics
She made the cut in a men's PGA event.  Twice actually.
Won 10 LPGA events.
View Quote
Impressive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Dan Gable

The Soviets pledged that they would find a wrestler to beat Gable at the 1972 Munich Olympics.  They failed.  Gable won the gold medal.  The best wrestlers of the world failed to score even a single point on Gable.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#34]
This dude was pretty dominant in his prime.

"This debate about the player of the century is absurd. There's only one possible answer: Pele. He's the greatest player of all time, and by some distance I might add". Zico.

"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that." Ferenc Puskas

"I told myself before the game, he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else — but I was wrong." Tarcisio Burgnich

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Phelps

Usain Bolt

Carl Lewis

Jordan

Bolt's rapid decline does make a person wonder if he was juicing (and suddenly stopped).  But until we know for sure, it's not fair to claim he was.  Until someone offers proof, he will remain the greatest sprinter of all time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This dude was pretty dominant in his prime.

"This debate about the player of the century is absurd. There's only one possible answer: Pele. He's the greatest player of all time, and by some distance I might add". Zico.

"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that." Ferenc Puskas

"I told myself before the game, he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else — but I was wrong." Tarcisio Burgnich

http://cdn.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-product-image/pele-auto-bw-bicycle-kick-16x20-photo-mounted-memories394-t3933778-2000.jpg
View Quote
Big deal.  Soccer is for girls and manlets who are too small for a real sport.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Big deal.  Soccer is for girls and manlets who are too small for a real sport.  
View Quote
Oh, ok, then I guess that settles that. Fuck, I posted without thinking what DevilDag1790 would think about sports.

Feeling pretty embarrassed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Jim Brown totally dominated...

....LACROSSE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Jordan. His hardware is proof enough, but more distinct to him was his competative nature. You couldn't beat him, and if you tried he just destroyed you on the court.

He ended many careers because he got so deeply into the heads of other players, some of which were his own teammates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Lance Armstrong, though he's lower than zero and a total bag.

Quoted:
Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Dale Earnhardt, Wayne Gretzky? Someone else?

Who do you think was/is the athlete that was best at what they did and most dominated everyone else in their sport?
View Quote
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:15:55 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Buddy Hall...

Folks that know, know.
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:18:44 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Aleksandr Karelin
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Bruce Jenner
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:38:36 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Bjorn Daehle
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:41:23 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Bane Ruth.
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:52:00 PM EDT
    [#46]
    John Force
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:52:24 PM EDT
    [#47]
    John L. Sullivan
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:53:47 PM EDT
    [#48]
    Lance Armstrong.  Michael Phelps.  Eddy Merckx.  Marco Pantani, a pure climber who actually won the TDF.  Miguel Indurain.  

A pure climber can't win the TDF general category, Marco Pantani did it.

A GC contender can't beat Marco Pantani climbing, Lance Armstrong did it.

Michael Phelps was too old to win in the last Olympics, he dominated it.

Jan Ullrich would have been a five time winner of the TDF if Lance Armstrong had not been there.

Cassius Clay dominated boxing for a while.  

Babe Ruth was a great pitcher, but he became the dominant batter of his time.  He was also a really well dressed man.  Local hotels have pictures of him from back in the day, he was a chick magnet.
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:55:14 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Wilt Chamberlain

No question
    Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:56:59 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Tiger Woods.

Golf and Pussy game was strong.
    Page / 7
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top