User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Night and day.
View Quote

i will assume this refers to a weapon mount light then?

saying only combat effective 50% of the time is more then a little silly.

even on the two equinoxes, you still have dawn and dusk, which both eat into that '50%' number.

there are very few instances where i have wanted a light to be actually on my weapon, and those few instances were exclusively to blind the people right in front of me, not actually to see myself.

in an in home, on your own property type situation i could see it. out in the world on the street, its just weight and a beacon.

for me, the only reason i would want a light is with a strobe function, and even then its use case is a lot smaller then i would be willing to spend the weight on.

to each their own, but, 'shoot at the light' is a real thing on an open street.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
AR pistol or SBR is the only way after watching that.
View Quote

Lol he had a 20”
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lol he had a 20”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR pistol or SBR is the only way after watching that.

Lol he had a 20”

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine have been K.I.S.S. for a while.

My HD gun is a plain old M4gery with a light and an “improvised minimalist sling”.  Detachable carry handle and no red dot.  I’m considering slapping an old Aimpoint M2 on it, but unlike Kyle’s rifle, BUIS is a necessity, and I’d use a cut down carry handle on this one.

My garage gun is a plain XM177 with the improvised sling.

View Quote

lol, without reviewing the footage I am guessing all shots were fired pretty much ignoring the sights.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
My "go to" is simple, cheap and basic. Regular handguards, small red dot, simple sling and a small light mounted to the front sight.

I'm not changing it. I've had it since '95, seems to have proven itself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lol, without reviewing the footage I am guessing all shots were fired pretty much ignoring the sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine have been K.I.S.S. for a while.

My HD gun is a plain old M4gery with a light and an “improvised minimalist sling”.  Detachable carry handle and no red dot.  I’m considering slapping an old Aimpoint M2 on it, but unlike Kyle’s rifle, BUIS is a necessity, and I’d use a cut down carry handle on this one.

My garage gun is a plain XM177 with the improvised sling.

They were, that's why I removed all sighting systems from my carbine to cut weight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Speaking of light, I'm actually eyeballing my M1 Carbines again. I have two: a 1943 Underwood and a 1944 Rock Ola. Like 99% of M1 Carbines they are post-War rebuilds and I replaced the recoil springs with Wolffs. I have plenty of USGI and Korean 15 rounders along with some Korean 30s.

Both of them are reliable with not just ball but with Remington 110 grain JSP. I have a couple thousand rounds of ball and a few hundred JSPs.

The Underwood wears an Ultimak handguard with a Bushnell TRS-25 on it. I'm going to replace that with a Primary Arms micro RDS with a much longer battery life, and will also add a Rogers Rail Light.

Oh yeah, I also have a bayonet on the way along with 10 more Korean 15 round mags.

If I need something more discreet I have a CZ Scorpion Micro with a RDS and a light, that fits nicely in a laptop backpack along with several magazines loaded with 124 grain Gold Dots, basic cleaning kit, and an IFAK.
View Quote

Other than being expensive collectibles I have no issue with a M1 carbine.   Handy as alll get out!  Takes a bayonet.  I have two M4 bayonets.

A light would certainly help.  

Mine are Italian returns via CMP.   They run perfectly and are accurate to the two hundred yards I shot them at.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

Been there, been doing that for a long time. No Swiss army knife on my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also if in highly democrat areas I wouldn't wear anything political or gun related on shirts or other clothing. All that does is paint a target on you. Blend in.
View Quote

This. I have a beater Corolla I use for my long, daily commute that goes through some mildly urban areas. It has a happy little surf sticker on it so I can tell it apart in a parking lot from the hundreds of other Corollas that look just like it. I also bought a red bandana the last time I was in Hobby Lobby and I keep it in my car. If I’m ever dumb enough to accidentally end up driving near or get somehow stopped by a hostile mob, I’ll put on the bandana and ask where the closest place to park is. Probably won’t work, but hopefully I can spout Marxist propaganda until I find an exit.

Oh, and to comment on the OP, different rifles for different purposes. 8.3” 300 BLK pistol for a trunk gun/urban area. 6.5 pound Beretta ARX as sort of a 0-300 yard gun, and a CHF lightweight PSA 16” with an LVPO if I need a bit more range without sacrificing too much on the close range. All with lights and slings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Never really considered a non-IR laser on a rifle but is it something to consider to aid in firing from weird positions like he had to?

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never really considered a non-IR laser on a rifle but is it something to consider to aid in firing from weird positions like he had to?

View Quote
In my opinion, the weird positions that Kyle was forced to take a shot in were 'point shooting' and didn't require any aiming at all, they were that close. If you have distance and an awkward shooting position that's where a red dot comes in to play, you don't need a good or consistent cheek weld.

The visible laser is like chasing a dot and I struggle to figure out how its effective in most situations but I'm sure there are scenarios where it helps. IR lasers are helpful if you do passive shooting and can't line up on your red dot due to Nod's and such, but why 2" risers are a thing now too.

Like anything else, train like you fight and get good at whatever you use.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Not reconsidering shit.

"Real" red dot
"Real" weapon light
2 point sling

on all my "real" rifles/carbines/pistols/SBRs/etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
All that is well and good but I won't be defending anyone's gas station.

If I'm out on the street with my rifle, a civil war will have popped off and I'll be looking to gtfo town, not engage rioters.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After watching what happened in Kenosha who else is thinking of going to a light basic rifle? Or do you think you could engage targets just as quickly with your eleven pound AR with all the doodads?
View Quote

Get both.   Have at least one AR pistol/ SBR with a red dot, and one 16" with an LPVO.  Both should have slings and lights.   Add more configurations or redundancy as funds allow.   And suppress all the things as funds allow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am changing over from a 16" with a 1-6 LVPO and light on it, to a 12.5 with an EOTech or similar on it.
View Quote

Good call. I can't imagine going through the Kyle gauntlet while trying to maintain an eyebox.

I think this episode really takes the wind out of the "One Optic to Rule them All" LPVO crowd.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Eh, sold my carbine a month or more ago.

20"rifle  & 11.5" pistol for CQB. Simplified things and moved to red dots on both and put 2 point slings on both, 20" has old school sling, 11.5 has magpul MDS.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If anything it made me re-think my cardio and footwear more than my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Upon a little further thought...

I think the best all around setup for a Kyle-type situation is:

Pistol (It plays by the same rules as a hand gun in your car and on your person)
REAL red dot (Aimpoint Pro, T1, T2, MRO, etc.)
REAL weapon light (Surefure, Modlight, Inforce, StreamLight, etc.)
2 point sling (VTAC, BFG, Vickers, LaRue, Magpul,

Optional:

Suppressor (Normal ear pro = loss of situational awareness, reduced comms, etc.). Plus (if using electronic ear pro), are you really going to be donning your Comtac IIIs while guarding the used car lot.

I hereby swap out my 10.3 and 10.5" "Kyle" SBRs to my 7.5" 300 Blackout pistol. Guess I better put an Aimpoint on it....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good call. I can't imagine going through the Kyle gauntlet while trying to maintain an eyebox.

I think this episode really takes the wind out of the "One Optic to Rule them All" LPVO crowd.
View Quote

I'm not sure it really makes an argument either way aside from weight and toughness of the optic. My takeaway was to try practicing point shooting without using any sights to be able to deal with "you just fell over and zombies comin' up the hell right now" situations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm keeping mine the same

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not reconsidering shit.

"Real" red dot
"Real" weapon light
2 point sling

on all my "real" rifles/carbines/pistols/SBRs/etc.
View Quote

Subscribed
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I'm out on the street with my rifle, a civil war will have popped off and I'll be looking to gtfo town, not engage rioters.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#25]
16" pencil barrel, ALG handguard, Red dot and magnifier, sling, white light.  

Light, accurate, and still able to reach out and touch something if needed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
All of my general purpose carbines are already pretty configured to my personal prefs.

- 10.5”/14.5”/14.7”/16” barrel
- RAS
- 2 pt adjustable sling
- Mini scout light and IWC Thorntail
- Aimpoint Comp M/PRO/ACO type optic

The absolute best part for me is that all the guns from the FSB back feel exactly the same regardless of the barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
FPNI

10.5”
Light
MRO
Two point sling
BUIS

Been my setup for a few years now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Y0BIQyBh.jpg
View Quote

Learn nothing from the french in WWII? Holes in magazines are not a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder what a 458 SOCOM out of a 10.5 barrel would have done to that guys arm?
Not sure how an SBR would be for the legal issues with that case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
A helmet would be a good idea too. Even just non ballistic to protect your head from flying bricks/rocks/fists.

level 3A vest for the panifa pussies that show up strapped.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All of my go to ARs have a light, sling, and red dot.

I’m carrying a 10.5” .300BO in the vehicle right now. With lancer 20s and a Holosun it’s a lightweight, affordable, effective package.
View Quote

Mon-ica — has a small light on it now

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

even on the two equinoxes, you still have dawn and dusk, which both eat into that '50%' number.

there are very few instances where i have wanted a light to be actually on my weapon, and those few instances were exclusively to blind the people right in front of me, not actually to see myself.

in an in home, on your own property type situation i could see it. out in the world on the street, its just weight and a beacon.

for me, the only reason i would want a light is with a strobe function, and even then its use case is a lot smaller then i would be willing to spend the weight on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night and day.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]
A bayonet.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Find a pallet of bricks. Site in on said pallet from concealment. Figure out the rest.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Y0BIQyBh.jpg
View Quote

Smart. Blend in with the commies. Antifa will let you slip through the crowd.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#37]
My current setup is good for a Roof Top Korean type scenario. I wouldn’t necessarily want to take it into a St. Kyle situation, but I feel like I could manage with it. That being said, I plan on building an AR pistol for the later situation, just don’t have the funds at the moment
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
No, by the time I need a rifle during all this I would have been activated and my M4/M9 will work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

No kidding.  I'll defend my own property if need be but I'll be doing it from inside the house.

Fuck going out just to defend something that isn't even mine as a "civilian".  That's just asking for trouble to find me in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
D-60 all the things.
View Quote

Limited to 10rds Fuck my Unconstitutional State of Connecticut !!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Added a light to mine, that's all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
My "main man" is a 11.5" with an EOTECH 512, FSP with flip-up rear, a lightweight light, and a basic bitch sling.  

That incident just reinforced that having a bunch of shit on your rifle is not going to help in most situations where things haven't gone to absolute pot.  He wasn't in a firefight, he was running and trying to not have to plug people, a completely different use case than being kitted up because things have gone pear shaped.  

It also reinforced my choice of a relatively large eyebox optic, it may or may not have helped him, but sight acquisition needs to be as fast as possible.  

The big takeaway is that Rule #1 in Zombieland is also Rule #1 in real life.  Cardio.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#44]

You think like me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was he even able to aim any of those shots?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Id be comfortable with a 10.5" AR in the city.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup!  My old ass isn't going downtown for a loaf of bread, let alone to be involved in a riot!  If the boogaloo shows up in my neighborhood and I have to engage rioters, I won't be as discriminatory as Kyle was.  It's a PARTY and EVERYONE in the street gets a gift for coming to my house.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Not really.

I guess I could ditch the BUIS, but they're already on there so fuck it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I have several rifles, all set up differently.
I like 20"rifles and have several and I have two 16" carbines.
The one thing they all have in common is they are all very reliable (in fact, none of them have ever jammed).

My home defense carbine is very basic.
Bushmaster 16" Superlight Carbine (spaghetti barrel)
A2 configuration......all iron sights.
The only accessories are a Bule Force sling and a Surefire flashlight mounted to the bayonet lug.
Rifle weight alone is 7 1/2lbs w/o the accessories.
I like 20 round mags.  They make the total package very trim and easy to maneuver.

The quickest way I have ever learned to engage a target inside of 20 feet is to simply put an iron front sight on target and squeeze the trigger.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top