BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that before. Good segment. The cigarette butts in the shotgun was a good story
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pjW8Ss0WI

cool starry bra about California black and whites..
I saw that before. Good segment. The cigarette butts in the shotgun was a good story
Cigarette butts in the shotgun? Bah, amateurs. They're not even trying until you find chicken bones in it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Besides cost and aesthetics, some departments believe that all white is easier to discern and better for roadside safety.  Even many fire trucks have gone to putting flourescent red and yellow on the back for this purpose.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Because when you are painting them with someone else's money might as well do what you want.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because when you are painting them with someone else's money might as well do what you want.
View Quote
Even though B&W cars are the more fiscally irresponsible choice?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
We still use black and white cars.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some agencies never had black and white cars. It's not the universal thing that some folks think.
View Quote
The County guys have the state mandated color scheme. Cities/towns usually go with white or stealth grey.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So penguins could make bait threads?

Lots are still black and white.  Lots aren't.  Why did army change camo patterns?  why dont gas station employees still wear uniforms and pump your gas?  who gives a fuck?
View Quote
His son. Read the OP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because it used to be that people painted them black and white so to be easily identified to allow the civilians to find them when they needed help. You know. To serve and protect.

Now they just want to ticket you and abuse their power. Easier to do that when they can sneak up on you in a black squad with low profile lights.
View Quote
Nailed it. Revenue farming is the new priority.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#9]
They're all black and white like God intended where I live.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because it used to be that people painted them black and white so to be easily identified to allow the civilians to find them when they needed help. You know. To serve and protect.

Now they just want to ticket you and abuse their power. Easier to do that when they can sneak up on you in a black squad with low profile lights.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My son asked, I don't know
View Quote
we had black and whites up till about ten years ago. Went to solid black as it is cheaper. With a black and white you have to get either a black car or a white car and have it painted. Solid color car you just have the decals slapped on and go.

J-
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I was told the OHP here saves 700 buck per unit, by going all black. Simple economics when you're buying a shit ton of units.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Lots of ours are.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been a little irritated with the "ghost" cars lately. They have a matte clear sicker that says "sheriff" or "police" on the side, and are normal civilian cars or SUVs.

The visual presence of police forces is a big deterrent for crime, and people in distress need the easy visual.

I guess you have to get that radar revenue though.
View Quote
Everybody knows they're  cops, those cars don't fool anyone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#16]
No idea.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I might bet trashed (wouldn't be the first time ) but I think the Michigan State Police car is badass.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Metro Dade told the state to take those green uniforms and shove em"

King Kong ain't got nothin on Miami Vice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down in Miami we called them Green and Whites for MDPD.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbzf8KIXkAANIP-.jpg
Metro Dade told the state to take those green uniforms and shove em"

King Kong ain't got nothin on Miami Vice!
To this day and long before when that photo. They were the Browns instead of the Greens.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
They went from the Green and Whites to this.

Then tried this.

MDPD today.

Tallahassee for a while were Blue and Whites.

Then they experimented with this.

Now they're with this.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Besides cost and aesthetics, some departments believe that all white is easier to discern and better for roadside safety.  Even many fire trucks have gone to putting flourescent red and yellow on the back for this purpose.
View Quote
Dade County, always being difficult and different from the rest of the state. Has never painted their trucks Red. Always been Highlighter Green longer than I've been alive.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be pissed. My agency has only one marked vehicle in the state. Everything else is unmarked UC cars and trucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
There's two city departments around here that use the colors of their respective school district mascots. I don't think I've seen that anywhere else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I might bet trashed (wouldn't be the first time ) but I think the Michigan State Police car is badass.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8247/8489849347_2315d7c67d_b.jpg
View Quote
The Shark Fin ia stupid. The Bubble Light is cool.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Locally they are. Not the LAPD style but the cheaper white base with the big black “police” lettering with the towns name superimposed across it. It’s a factory option from Ford along with light packages and all the other police car bits and pieces. Guess it makes sense to buy them that way. Cheaper and ready to roll when they take delivery.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My former town went from some stupid purple-blue to black and white as they transitioned from CVPIs. The Taurusii and Explorers looked sharp in black and white, IMO.

New city has a black paint scheme, nice, but not as snazzy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s funny because there’s nothin low profile about those cars. Murdered out Interceptors/Tahoe’s/Chargers with push bumpers and steel wheels stand out just as much as a fully marked cruiser.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#27]
We do graphics for a suburb of Columbus police department, who has about 20 active cruisers. They buy all black SUVs, then we wrap the doors and roof white. Says it's way cheaper and helps on resale also.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
We are switching to solid colors since it's cheaper and has higher resale at aution after they are taken out of service.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Be nice if Houston went back to this look. Could see them a mile away.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why aren’t police cars still cars?

Forfeiture of drug money’s.

Yet we pay for the gas to feed a fleet of sawed off suburbans
View Quote
Because FWD unibody vehicles don’t hold up to the abuse as well as full frame vehicles.Since Ford killed the CVPI there hasn’t been a decent car based platform.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they might still light up!!!

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s funny because there’s nothin low profile about those cars. Murdered out Interceptors/Tahoe’s/Chargers with push bumpers and steel wheels stand out just as much as a fully marked cruiser.
View Quote
Like hey, check out that all black car sitting in the middle of the highway. Ray Charles can see that shit
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dade County, always being difficult and different from the rest of the state. Has never painted their trucks Red. Always been Highlighter Green longer than I've been alive.

http://www.miamisprings.com/images/july42003/metro-dade-fire-rescue.jpg

https://cdn.firehouse.com/files/base/cygnus/fhc/image/2015/06/960w/Harrisburg_2015_081.556c6346554c7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.firehouse.com/files/base/cygnus/fhc/image/2015/06/960w/Harrisburg_2015_081.556c6346554c7.jpg
God that looks like hell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Around here, the major cities/areas/deparments are returning to the black and white scheme with unit numbers on top.  Everything is cyclical...  They are actually harder to spot, currently, due to the prior color schemes/markings and the familiarity of the older markings, which were used for many years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Like hey, check out that all black car sitting in the middle of the highway. Ray Charles can see that shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. Even in traffic if I see certain makes it models my eyes automatically scan for spot lights, interior light bars or LE license plates. Very few low profile cars are very sneaky.

ISP used to run a Mustang out on a local stretch of interstate that was truly undetectable. I used to see him doing business every morning on the way to work in the early 2000’s. Hideaways in the head/tail lamps, deep tinted windows, normal plates and nothing poking out to draw your attention. He’d park on the shoulder with his four ways on pretending to be a disabled motorist while he shot radar. I was happy he was there since that area had a ton on interchanges that all merged together and people drove like total fucking tards there. Accidents were a daily occurrence for awhile until they really started cracking down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.

As a displaced Michigander, the MSP Blue Goose will always be what comes to mind when I think of "state police."
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pretty much. Even in traffic if I see certain makes it models my eyes automatically scan for spot lights, interior light bars or LE license plates. Very few low profile cars are very sneaky.

ISP used to run a Mustang out on a local stretch of interstate that was truly undetectable. I used to see him doing business every morning on the way to work in the early 2000’s. Hideaways in the head/tail lamps, deep tinted windows, normal plates and nothing poking out to draw your attention. He’d park on the shoulder with his four ways on pretending to be a disabled motorist while he shot radar. I was happy he was there since that area had a ton on interchanges that all merged together and people drove like total fucking tards there. Accidents were a daily occurrence for awhile until they really started cracking down.
View Quote
Yup. Like our gang guys use the most insane cars with no lights or anything on em. Just use a marked unit when it’s time to arrest or stop someone. That’s the only way to actually be sneaky.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Our cabs aren't yellow either.
Guess that'll be OPs sons next question for today's thread
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I push a black and white, they wrap the parts that are colored white. The wrap looks like shit within a year. I miss the white with reflective markings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#41]
They are in Roanoke, Va

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a little kid, I thought red fire trucks were only on TV like snow.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#43]
All local, county and state vehicles are either black or midnite blue metallic so they can hide.

Low profile lights or completely concealed lights.

Lots of MI State Police consumer colored Tahoes doing discreet ops on the highways, with completely hidden lights.

Guy was in full uniform and blocking the passing lane while he matched speed with a chick in a car int eh middle lane, I bobbled behind him to get his attention so he'd yield the lane. He whipped in front of her and I nailed it because I was PO'd at him, settling back down cruising speed in the middle lane. He jumped on it and was on my ass, then pulled me over.

He let me go with a warning, although he wasn't yielding the passing lane, and we were both speeding, but he said he was just on a mission, using the Tahoe to look down into cars to catch texters. It was a light gold color, and impossible to ID as a cop vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#44]
We went all black several years back when the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association decreed that it be done.  I was told at the time it was a cost savings thing.  It also helps at resale time.  Why anyone would buy a used Sheriff's cruiser is beyond me but people like those buckets of junk.  The gold graphics package on them makes them fairly well identifiable.  The rule in our department is if you are working traffic you'd better have a fully equipped cruiser because anything else is verboten.  Detectives can and will do a traffic stop if necessary but they don't work traffic.  In reality, none of our guys work traffic.  No time for that.  The cars stick out like a sore thumb but people fail to notice them all the time, even with the blinky lights on top going off like a carnival ride.

Stock images.  Not affiliated with any of these agencies.  The graphics and color scheme are uniform state wide.  As are uniforms.  The uniform thing is a bitch because it always means we're behind the curve on the latest gear.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's ours:
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We went all black several years back when the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association decreed that it be done.  I was told at the time it was a cost savings thing.  It also helps at resale time.  Why anyone would buy a used Sheriff's cruiser is beyond me but people like those buckets of junk.  The gold graphics package on them makes them fairly well identifiable.  The rule in our department is if you are working traffic you'd better have a fully equipped cruiser because anything else is verboten.  Detectives can and will do a traffic stop if necessary but they don't work traffic.  In reality, none of our guys work traffic.  No time for that.  The cars stick out like a sore thumb but people fail to notice them all the time, even with the blinky lights on top going off like a carnival ride.

Stock images.  Not affiliated with any of these agencies.  The graphics and color scheme are uniform state wide.  As are uniforms.  The uniform thing is a bitch because it always means we're behind the curve on the latest gear.

http://www.darkecountysheriff.org/images/cruiser_2.jpg

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7291/8742203232_517f291e91.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5471/9319232249_1ff232f540.jpg
View Quote
Florida mandates that Sheriffs Offices have green in their uniforms and cars. But no direct guide on how it should be. Some agencies due all green uniforms while other do green pants and white shirts. Some do green pants with black stripes and some don't.

Miami Dade Police do tan shirts and brown pants and tell the state to fuck off. It is going to be interesting because in the 50s, the county voted to get rid of the elected Sheriff's position and have it as an appointed position. This past election, an Amendment passed that mandates all Constitutional Offices to be elected. In Miami Dade, MDPD is still the County Sheriff.

Some Sheriffs also use a basic design for a patch. And others do their own thing.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#47]
They still are in many places.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think there's a $20k dealer market adjustment for that one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I wish American LE would do the European paint schemes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Houston's just switched over to black and white in the last 6 years.
View Quote
Austin had also done the same going to Black & White.

both used to run Blue & White color schemes.

Sheriffs cars in most counties in S.E. to Central Texas tend to Brown-Gold or Gray-Silver.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top