Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to break up your drive, let me know. We could put you up for a night NW of Columbus, OH. Probably 7-8 hours from Wilkes-Barre. Quiet neighborhood. My kids are not so quiet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
South route is fine, but you are in the reservation for quite a bit. I live in St George so I take that route often in my Semi. But I do have a few wacky stories from that route on the Rez.

One time I had a young lady try and commit suicide by walking out in front of my truck, luckily I saw her and slowed down to about 30mph and was able to go around her, she was balling her eyes and still walking towards my truck.

Another time I ran out of hours on my log book so I found wide spot near the hopi reservation and pulled over for the night, about 15 minutes after stopping a Navajo lady stopped in her car and asked if I was OK or broken down, I said I'm fine so she left. She went about 1/2 a mile and turned around and came back and told me it's not wise to sleep near the hopi reservation because they have a lot of crime there. I said I'll be fine, she asked if I had a gun, yes I do. OK be safe she said and left again. Again she made it 1/2 a mile and came back this time she practically begged me not to sleep there, so this time she finally spooked me enough that I said fuck the log book and I drove Another 1.5 hours to Tuba city to sleep.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That a lot for 3 days, but given enough caffeine anything is possible.

If you choose I70, beware those brakes on the Uhaul coming down the passes.    We moved from Durango to Grand junction with a loaded up big Uhaul, I did not stop coming off the pass to let the brakes cool.   When I hit Ouray, it was a damn good thing I didn’t have to stop, because I couldn’t.   Smoked those brakes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Take some comfortable earplugs in case the truck is a noisy bitch.

If you take the Southern or middle route - I live about 10 minutes south of I-70 close to I-675 just east of Dayton.

When you get that far and if you feel like you are going to die if you don't get a co-driver pick me up and get me back to Dayton.  I've driven U-Hauls before.  I suppose it'll be an automatic - if not I can easily drive a stick.  I'm retired and can be out the door in less than an hour.  I'm also unrelentingly heterosexual unlike almost everyone else that posts in your threads.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really what can I do? I'll try to pick out decent hotels but I'm not sleeping in it. If I'm driving or in the truck it'll be a shoot out. If I wake up and it's gone I'm getting a cab to an airport [shrug]

bye bye comic books and crappy guns
View Quote
Pics of comic books.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That is an easy trip for 3 days.

I wouldn't worry about Illinois or Chicago it's not illegal to travel through there with firearms.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad lives in St George. I've done the run in just over two days from my part of Central PA. Easy Peasy.

I usually Stop the first night in Lawrence KS,  then, take my time (I-70) and when I hit Grand Junction  CO I spend the night. Next afternoon I'm in St George.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I80 west jump to I70 767mi a day can be done in three, but will be an ass kicker.

Plan stops and hotels accordingly, don't stay/get off for gas in shitty areas. Otherwise you'll be fine.

I prefer driving alone
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d be good for about 11 hours or so the first day. About 9 hrs day after that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I made the trip from Fort Bragg, NC to Fillmore Utah back in 03 in two days. I got to I-70 then drove through Kansas and then up over the Rockies.  I was driving a soft top 1991 Jeep Wrangler so wind noise was terrible.  I did pull over in Kansas at 2 am and slept in the cab for a couple of hours and was home the next day by 5 pm.  The best part of the trip was the Jesus in the Corn sign in either Colorado or Kansas.  The worst part was when the jeep was vapor locking going over the Rockies.  

If you do I-70 when you get to Cove Fort Utah you are 15 minutes from my house. You are welcome to come over and spend the night. St George is about 3 hours south of me on I-15.  You could rest up and sample the truly nice lands around Central Utah instead of the desert lands of St. George.

So if you are wondering about making new friends, I could find a couple of young men who would love to meet and visit with you (just kidding).

From St George Las Vegas is about an hour and a half away, so the decadent pleasures you have grown to enjoy in NY are still close by.  You have my number so if you have any problems after getting to Utah call and I will come help you out.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you going by yourself?  I could do it alone, but not with the wife and dog.  Wife and dog need to stop more than just for refueling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I would avoid Chicago even if the route is a little further, because it’s easy lose a lot of time when traffic gets wadded up. Expect to spend 13-15 hours a day on the road with pit stops…
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Some uhaul trucks are pretty damn slow and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Truckers Toilet
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interstates are REALLY easy to rack up miles.
Gasoline, coffee, piss breaks, occasional 90 minute cat-nap.... easy to do in  48 hours.

Truckers Toilet
it's the way of the road
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The drive west of Denver on I-70 through Utah has some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Will probably slow you down though, lots of elevation changes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
As I absolutely hate driving through Colorado you could also stay on 80 and go through Wyoming and drop down 189 past Park city and pop out in Provo on I15 and head south.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I would avoid that southern route. Too much two lane in seriously desolate areas, and just not worth the extra hours.
Plan on stopping before, or after the Chicago area, and the 80 to 76 to 70 to 15 route will be fine.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I just drove part of that route last week. Colorado passes got fresh snow. I would go south.

Did a 14 hour day and a 15 hour day on the trip. Having 2 drivers helped.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I did Tampa to San Diego in 3 days a couple of weeks ago
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's gonna be more like 15 hours a day when you figure in gas, meal, and rest stops. If I was driving that route it would take me a week to do it.
View Quote

Probably at least five for me.   In a Uhaul maybe add another day.

Three days is borderline stupid.   Nothing personal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you take the Southern or middle route - I live about 10 minutes south of I-70 close to I-675 just east of Dayton.

When you get that far and if you feel like you are going to die if you don't get a co-driver pick me up and get me back to Dayton.  I've driven U-Hauls before.  I suppose it'll be an automatic - if not I can easily drive a stick.  I'm retired and can be out the door in less than an hour.  I'm also unrelentingly heterosexual unlike almost everyone else that posts in your threads.
View Quote
Rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer to drag behind the truck and I'll get myself back to Dayton.  Ought to be a lot cheaper than airfare and getting me to an airport.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Easily. I did Aiken SC to Palm Springs in one stretch, with my brother. Left Aiken Sunday morning, arrived in PS 11 pm the next day.

of course we were in our twenties.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Easily. Of course some folk can't do it but personally I have driven many 1000+ days. Perhaps 5 of them on a motorcycle even. How ever I do know and accept not everyone can do this. Some are lucky to knock out 300 mile days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
South route is fine, but you are in the reservation for quite a bit. I live in St George so I take that route often in my Semi. But I do have a few wacky stories from that route on the Rez.

One time I had a young lady try and commit suicide by walking out in front of my truck, luckily I saw her and slowed down to about 30mph and was able to go around her, she was balling her eyes and still walking towards my truck.

Another time I ran out of hours on my log book so I found wide spot near the hopi reservation and pulled over for the night, about 15 minutes after stopping a Navajo lady stopped in her car and asked if I was OK or broken down, I said I'm fine so she left. She went about 1/2 a mile and turned around and came back and told me it's not wise to sleep near the hopi reservation because they have a lot of crime there. I said I'll be fine, she asked if I had a gun, yes I do. OK be safe she said and left again. Again she made it 1/2 a mile and came back this time she practically begged me not to sleep there, so this time she finally spooked me enough that I said fuck the log book and I drove Another 1.5 hours to Tuba city to sleep.
View Quote
That's kinda creepy. I bet that chick saved your life, or at least your butthole.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's kinda creepy. I bet that chick saved your life, or at least your butthole.
View Quote

Probably his life.

I have a friend who’s a retired FBI agent that helps with cold cases on Indian reservations.  The amount of murders that take place on them is mind boggling. Stay away from reservations.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Doable, but it will suck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Take the quicker northern route…it’s “only” 3 hours shorter, but that’s an hour earlier you’re done driving each day.

Unless you want to see something in particular on the way…but even then, just do it on the way back, after you’ve done the quick route and know what you’re up against.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#28]
@Aimless

Check your PM, just sent you something thats in St George, where I live.

Also answered your question but yes, totally doable. We made it from Florida to Utah in 2.5 days. Just had a guy deliver a generator to us from the OH/PA border on a trailer that he pulls behind a truck and he was here in 2 days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, one can do it.
I just drove from near Philadelphia to Mesa Verde last August in three days.
This translates to roughly 600+ miles per day.

I could have gotten further, but the trip to Mesa Verde requires a non-interstate route and I needed to arrive early enough at the campground to set up camp at Morefield (Didn't want to have to do it in the dark).

It was pretty intense "power driving", and hey, last August I had just turned 70 years old.
Motivation plays a role, but also, I have always been a Driving Machine, forever.. since I was younger.

Did pretty much the same thing on the return; Grants, NM (w/a full mornings stop to visit Petroglyphs Nat'l. Monument) to Peebles, OH (to visit the Serpent Mound).
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes. I did Utah to Mississippi in two last year. Hard but did it, was there two days then back
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
3 days? Easily. I did Denver to NJ over in just under 30. Stopped for gas only. Drove straight the entire time. Not saying you won't be exhausted when you get there, but you can definitely get there in 3 days. That said, I don't drive more than 5 hours any more. If it's that far I fly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm familiar with the entire route. Never done it in one shot. But knowing the route.....I say it can be done.
But it's a LOT of driving. And much of it mind numbingly mundane.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]
With the North route you would go past the World's Largest Truck Stop on I-80. The most annoying part is the North-Western Indiana to Illinois border and that is because of traffic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with the entire route. Never done it in one shot. But knowing the route.....I say it can be done.
View Quote
A lot of people find the vastness of the Great Plains boring.  I think it is amazing to drive and drive and drive, or better - ride, through agricultural paradise knowing that I'm only seeing a tiny slice of all there is to see.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Colorado should be fine
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A lot of people find the vastness of the Great Plains boring.  I think it is amazing to drive and drive and drive, or better - ride, through agricultural paradise knowing that I'm only seeing a tiny slice of all there is to see.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/IMG_1920_jpg-2368873.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/IMG_1920_jpg-2368873.JPG

I agree, more so on two wheels.

I have a great appreciation for scenery that others seem to scoff at.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I did Medford Oregon to Saratoga New York in 3.5 days

Take 80.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, easy.

Now doing it with 4 kids with you?  That's where my challenge begins.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Aimless should have one of his clients hook him up with some good Mexican lab meth.

No sleep needed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stay away from the route in Northern AZ through the Navajo Rez.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can go coast to coast in 25 hours 39 minutes.

View Quote

This man knows.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Uhaul trucks are slow but you can do it.
Check out the Petroglyphs in St George, we loved it there on vacation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#46]
80 through Chicago is a PITA.  I live very close.

Not sure if the stretch by Gary is done with construction or not.  I was last summer when I went through, and looked to be a LONG term project.  

Currently I80 W is under construction through Joliet, and although not as bad as Chicago proper it is a major log jam.

I see it is 3 hours shorter, but I could easily see 1 to 1 1/2 hours burned in Chicago traffic if you time it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Why Wilkes barre? Thought you were in NY?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Uhaul trucks are slow but you can do it.
Check out the Petroglyphs in St George, we loved it there on vacation.
View Quote

There are a few petroglyphs around here, but the ones on the AZ Strip are cool, we take the kids out to "sparkle mountain " and the to the petroglyphs on the AZ strip often, it's a good way to kill a Saturday.  You can also go see the dinosaur footprints in Warener Valley they are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lol you guys would get drunk, start playing with fireworks and burn up my comics and GI Joes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get some members to guard your trailer while you sleep?
Lol you guys would get drunk, start playing with fireworks and burn up my comics and GI Joes

You're welcome.

Quoted:

Absolutely do this. I used to drive from Chiraq to northern Wisconsin a few times a year for work. Uninsulated cargo van without AC, driving 80mph on my way back (everytime because boss would say take your time in the morning, then get nervous about having the van in the afternoon), empty one way and full the other. I had to have the windows open just to not physically overheat. Loud van+80mph winds are fucking loud. ??
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top