User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the M1 Carbine up and running so you've got the pdw/ assault rifle game up and running before 1939. Push 30rnd mags from the outset. While you're being granted favors, get the mag mounted on top of the BAR and increased to 30rnd capacity.
View Quote
The AR started as a .22 caliber .30 carbine case wildcat.
So, that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ak or sig in 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SCAR 16/17
View Quote
SCAR 17.

.30 would have made more sense to them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SCAR 17.

View Quote
You think they’d accept anything but a wood and metal gun in the 30s?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR 17.

Of course not, but it's my answer anyway
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
War Dept procurement heads so far in ass, you could have given them man-portable phased plasma rifles, in the 40 watt range, including tech support, lifetime warranty and  unit cost under $100...  they'd have laughed in your face because it wasn't .30 caliber, and ammunition limited.
View Quote
This.

The idea of intermediate cartridges would have failed because they weren't full powered.  The only reason intermediate cartridges became popular was because the Germans proved they could work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the point? It's all political and has little to do with selecting the best weapon for the job and more to do with who's paying who under the table.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]
MG-34 in 30-06 to replace the M1919?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
John Garand already new we needed a less powerful cartridge and detachable magazine, even with the big army screwing it up we still had the best rifle by a long shot.

Given the general flow of war, unless you have something really technically better it won't make a difference.  I'm talking Mauser over trap door Springfield better.

What won WW2

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
AR 10 or SCAR17 carbine in 6.5 Creedmoor, 25rd magazines,
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock carbine

Teach that little Austrian bastage a lesson about karma time travel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
War Dept procurement heads so far in ass, you could have given them man-portable phased plasma rifles, in the 40 watt range, including tech support, lifetime warranty and  unit cost under $100...  they'd have laughed in your face because it wasn't .30 caliber, and ammunition limited.
View Quote
QFT

Nothing would have passed that wasn't 30-06.  And wood.  And steel.  And heavy.  And not full auto.

They didn't care.  They didn't want wasted bullets or anything too new fangled.  Detachable magazine?  Are you a fucking witch?  You'd have been burned at the stake!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Could the RPG-7 have been produced with 30s technology?
I believe it has a piezo electric ignition, was that commonplace in gadgets of the era?
View Quote
I read an article discussing this. The fuses were a limiting factor of many of the rounds of the war. Its one reason that shaped charges were not AS effective as they could be and weren't used in high velocity guns.

Its also a reason why sandbagging your tank or adding layers of track led to a higher chance of knocking out a tank. It gave the earlier shape charges sufficient time for the fuse to effectively form the jet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The M1 was supposed to be chambered in a 270 cartridge. But Macarthur said no because we had enough 30-06 to fight 6-12 months at WWI levels.

Box mags as nice. But embloc clips are lighter and about as fast to load.

If I'm going to the war department, I'm taking the plans for the P-51D. If we start the war with that plane, a while lot of bombers make it to their targets and home.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AK. Easier to make lots of them in 1930.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
M79 grenade Launcher.  High angle hell in a compact package.

There was no technical reason to not have had this weapon in ww2.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DI AR-15.

How is this even a question?
View Quote
There was no glue in 1930 to make the stocks and no abilities to mass produce aluminum forging like those needed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
SIG 542 but in .30-06, with a fixed wooden stock, pistol grip and handguards. Make it to take BAR mags...

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There was no glue in 1930 to make the stocks and no abilities to mass produce aluminum forging like those needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DI AR-15.

How is this even a question?
LOL.

That's the point.

You think I am bringing 1930s tech to 1930?

I am going to grab the Arsenal by the balls and drag them kicking and screaming into the future.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]
AK47
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably the RPG-7V.

Man pack, reloadable, takes out vehicles, light armor (any armor back then), and artillery pieces.  Infinitely useful.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
The gun design inside the nukes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The Tommy Gun was already designed before 1930 so a sub-machine gun wouldn't be super innovative.
Maybe the HK G3
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Tommy Gun was already designed before 1930 so a sub-machine gun wouldn't be super innovative.
Maybe the HK G3
View Quote
A STEN or even better Sterling SMG would be innovative. Much cheaper and quicker to produce than the Thompson.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#28]
This in 6.5x33 with a 123gr.

A nice little American wood fore end, lighten the stock a bit.

They could manufacture this in the US industrial base in the 1930s, given automotive and firearms technology at the time.

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The M1 was supposed to be chambered in a 270 cartridge. But Macarthur said no because we had enough 30-06 to fight 6-12 months at WWI levels.

Box mags as nice. But embloc clips are lighter and about as fast to load.

If I'm going to the war department, I'm taking the plans for the P-51D. If we start the war with that plane, a while lot of bombers make it to their targets and home.
View Quote
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

If you're going to stay with a relatively traditional prop aircraft, an A-1 Skyraider or B-29 might hit harder. We built 19,000 B-24s during the war. Imagine if those lines were cranking out B-29s instead.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They already had it. Garand in 276 Pederson. Adding a detachable magazine would have been excellent. They didn't have the propellant technology for the modern cartridges.
With the caliber established, a more modern form factor ala the StG45 could have been developed during the war years as an alternative to the M1 carbine.
View Quote
In 1930, I would argue for dropping .276 Pedersen -- which was an underpowered battle rifle cartridge -- and switching to an intermediate-power, assault rifle round similar to today's .30 HRT.

______________________ 7.62x39 ____________ .30 HRT ___________ 5.56x45 _______________________

Then redesign the T3E2 Garand, changing it from a heavy, clip-fed, long-barreled, battle rifle into a lightweight, mag-fed, short-barreled, assault rifle.

Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I like other answers more, but they’ve been said so

MP5
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.............in 1930 it would not have mattered. Especially not with the Great Depression and the stocks of WWI .30-'06 ammunition on hand.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

The idea of intermediate cartridges would have failed because they weren't full powered.  The only reason intermediate cartridges became popular was because the Germans proved they could work.
View Quote
The French had a true intermediate cartridge, the 8x35mm, and a selective fire assault rifle feeding from high capacity detachable magazines in 1918.
It died with the end of the war due to unacceptable accuracy past 400 meters.

The Americans never even recognized the German 7.92x33mm Kurz or StG44 as anything but a poorly conceived last ditch weapon inferior to
the M1.

That's how far out of touch US Army ordnance was until introduced to the AK47 in Vietnam......
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#34]
An M1 Garand - modified with a short stroke gas piston similar to the M14.  With a flash hider similar to the STG58...

And a case of AC58 rifle grenades.    30-06 rifle.  No blanks or extra bullshit to launch a warhead capable of defeating 350mm of armor.  Not as much fun as an RPG-7, but could have been fielded by our troops & made with the available tech.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#35]
An M14 since an M16 would be a hard sell.

Not an AK because our enemies would copy, produce, and shoot us with it in no time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you're talking about things other than rifles.....

Get all the open source material you can find on the atomic bomb, put it in a sealed box with the following instructions:

DO NOT OPEN
On , Jan 1 1939, call a meeting of the following individuals:
Leo Szilard
Enrico Fermi
Hans Bethe
John von Neumann
Philip Abelson
Otto Frisch
Arthur Compton
Ernest Lawrence
Robert Oppenheimer
...and present this box.

Nuke the Germans Russian and German high command while they're in the middle of invading the USSR Poland, the Baltics, and Finland, threaten Japan with it and the cold war (and spread of communism) never happens.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#37]
For submachine guns, I think I'd have tried to pitch something like the Sterling at them, since it was cheap, and good. Also simple, light, and reliable.

For service rifles either the STG-44, AK-47, or MAS 49/56 with the scope the French were issuing along with the rifle grenade package.

The reality is that they'd need something in thirty caliber, made of milled and stamped components, with wood furniture. Otherwise I doubt they'd touch it.

I also think that an ACOG would've been possible back then. Not with tritium or fiber optic, but a fixed 4X optic with a BDC, etched reticle, and utilizing a prism would've been doable back then. Like the TA01-NSN.

But there's somewhere I'm going with this:

A .30-06 10rd detatchable mag fed gun that could be ran with stripper clips if necessary, super mechanically simple, easy to manufacture with 40s tech, optics capable, easy to shoot well, rifle grenade capable, with the MSE style stock or some variant thereof means that every guy can do M1 Garand tasks, DMR tasks with the fixed 4X sight with a BDC, rifle grenades, and keep the fire rate pretty high.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#38]
4x scope for all rifles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Stoner 63
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Mini 14 or Mini 30. Even if only as a PDW as the M1 carbine was originally fielded. But as with the M1 carb. the light weight and utility of it made it popular in front line use. Once they saw how well the 5.56 or 7.62X39 round worked in typically combat ranges, it would have caught on. Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#41]
The Ultimax 100, but with wood furniture

Chambered in a modified .30 carbine using a Zinc diecast 85gr Spitzer projectile at 2200fps. This would further reduce recoil, improve penetration, and give a projectile that would more rapidly tumble. Cartridge weight would be 11 grams, a bit less then 5.56, and less then 1/2 the weight of .45 acp or .30-06. Zinc die cast was a popular method of manufacturing toys at the time, and would allow simple mass production of lightweight projectiles. The round would be effective to 200 yards.  

The Ultimax would serve to replace 3 weapons - the Thompson, the BAR, and the M1 carbine. With it's constant recoil full auto, and extended capacity magazines (100rd drums and 45rd box magazines) it would offer superior firepower and full auto accuracy then any individual weapon used in the war. It would be the ideal weapon for fighting in the Pacific, as well as urban combat and assaulting positions in Europe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Ultimax 100, but with wood furniture
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/33/U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg/450px-U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg

Chambered in a modified .30 carbine using a Zinc diecast 85gr Spitzer projectile at 2200fps. This would further reduce recoil, improve penetration, and give a projectile that would more rapidly tumble. Cartridge weight would be 11 grams, a bit less then 5.56, and less then 1/2 the weight of .45 acp or .30-06. Zinc die cast was a popular method of manufacturing toys at the time, and would allow simple mass production of lightweight projectiles. The round would be effective to 200 yards.  
http://www.oldammo.com/30CarbProofB.JPG

The Ultimax would serve to replace 3 weapons - the Thompson, the BAR, and the M1 carbine. With it's constant recoil full auto, and extended capacity magazines (100rd drums and 45rd box magazines) it would offer superior firepower and full auto accuracy then any individual weapon used in the war. It would be the ideal weapon for fighting in the Pacific, as well as urban combat and assaulting positions in Europe.
View Quote
That's definitely an interesting answer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Meh, we started WWII with the best issue rifle, and ended the war with the Best/ Second best (Behind Sturmgewehr). Polymer wasn't a thing and there's no way they'd agree to use their limited Aluminum supply on an untested rifle. We're basically stuck with 30-06. The .276 Garand was a much better rifle, but the war department wanted a universal round and didn't want to get rid of their interwar stockpile. I'd probably try to bring back plans for a decent GPMG. An effective GPMG in place of the BAR would have made a far greater difference than any rifle would. Probably a soviet PK rechambered for 30-06, although their stamping technology was so limited I don't know if they'd be able to implement it. I'd have to go through more current GPMG's to figure out what would be cheapest to manufacture on early 40's tech. 

Really, the operating principals for modern firearms were all worked out in the 30's. What changed was materials, manufacturing and doctrine. There isn't anything mechanically novel about the AR15. What makes it an exceptional rifle is the low weight provided by aluminum and polymer, manufacturing techniques that make them cheap to make, and changes in mindset that opened the military up to accepting an intermediate cartridge. Technical plans would not change this. 

ETA: If I had to pick a rifle,  I'd go with the FAL, for the reasons posted on page one.  Lengthen the chamber to accommodate the War Dept.'s love affair with 30-06 and you'd have a great battle rifle. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Kalashnikov.  It's manufacture was within the capability of our 30's era industrial base.
View Quote
Was it though? keep in mind the Soviets had to keep the SKS around longer than planned because it took years of work post war by German engineers to get their stamping tech up to speed. While the prototypes were stamped, most of the initial guns were milled receivers, heavy and expensive. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Why?

They were about to adopt the M1.  The US was miles ahead of every other world power at the time once adopted.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Ak47 or FAL, totally feasible to be manufactured in 1930.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
4x scope for all rifles.
View Quote
This is the best answer so far which would provide the most effective results......
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m not sure about the RPG -7 idea.  The life span of the poor bastard carrying one of these with a back pack full of rockets has got to be short.  Like, real short.  Think about it:  a dozen dudes  coming at you armed with AK’s and maybe PKM or two plus one asshole with a rocket launcher.  Who do you shoot first?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#49]
"modern" powder recipe and a Carl Gustav type anti armor platform with modern armor penetrating projectile design.

Easily man portable system that could shred any armor the Axis throws at it
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#50]
AR 18/180-whatever it is. Stamped, easier to mass produce than AR-15, and wouldn't have the US mucking around with AK derivatives 80 years later like Russia is now.

But...

Quoted:
View Quote
Muh full sized rifle round would kill any hopes you might have.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top