Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually carried an altoids style tin full of "survival" stuff we put together in scouts. It had few cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, fishing line and hook, legit strike anywhere matches a shitty bubble compass and one of those magnesium/flint tools. I also carried a swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably one or two of these.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
A "Sharp" brand pocket knife I got from my dad. A super cool velcro camouflage wallet. On some occasions a cheap compass my grandpa gave me. Pocket change I'd find around the house.

I still have the pocket knife and compass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Super ball
box of matches
small knife
some worn out pics ripped from an old playboy
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheap 80's boot knife, lighter, piece of laminated paper that basically said "call this number if found dead or unconscious".   Pocket full of pellets or .22LR depending on my AO. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol

Just made me remember a kid who brought a reeking bag in.  Asked him what was in the damp bag...a head?

Yep!  He pulls out a bloody deer head lol.  (This was mid to late 80s)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carried a dried out a deer tongue for a while until my mom found out. I also brought a dead squirrel into my room for skinning at a later time and my sister sold me out. She said it was "stinking up her room". Riiiight
lol

Just made me remember a kid who brought a reeking bag in.  Asked him what was in the damp bag...a head?

Yep!  He pulls out a bloody deer head lol.  (This was mid to late 80s)
I took a bear paw to school when I was in 8th grade.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
cubscout knife
still have it; it's in the top drawer of my bathroom sink counter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Pocket knife, magnifying glass lens for starting fire and burning ants, as many Now and Laters as I can fit in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Always some kind of pocket knife. Always. Times sure have changed. Boys can use the girls restroom if they FEEL like a girl. But oh fuck no. Nowadays you better not have a pocket knife. As cub scouts and Boy Scouts we were taught to be prepared. Now they teach kids nothing is their fault. And, someone else will take care of you........

Oh yeah. Can't forget about the Bazooka Joe bubble gum. Got a comic with every piece.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Boy Scout knife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
A spent .50 BMG projectile (rifling marks and all) I found in the gutter on one of my forays with my bike.  Long since stolen by one of my "friends" years ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Either a top, or marbles. 1967, Pueblo Gardens elementary school, Tucson, AZ. Lived at 2002 Amalia Ave. Phone number was 624-2069. Had a tangerine tree, 2 fig trees, an apricot tree, a grapefruit tree and a very, very sour ornamental orange tree.

Next door neighbors had a dachsund puppy.

Jan. 27, 1967, Apollo 1 burned on the pad. My birthday. I got a crewcut that day.

But, I digress. Either a top or marbles were in my pocket. I had a divot in my right thumbnail from shooting marbles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Duncan "Gold award" YoYo.
Lockblade with Gold Matador and Bull
And, a permanent match from an insurance company.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Swiss Army knife, pen and pencil, and ice cream money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
One of my dad's old knives,marbles,and plastic container with cinnamon tooth picks. I also had one of those velcro wallets I kept in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]
1969 for reference: Steelie, length of cotton string, Old Timer pocketknife, a quarter, nickel, liberty dime and 4 pennies in my right side pocket, and just a Duncan yoyo in my left pocket.  I had a Hamilton pocket watch for awhile but I'm sure I traded it off for something else. Also had a pocket compass with luminous markings, that my dad bought me when we visited Big Spring in the Ozarks. That place is very cool.

Have been carrying a pocket knife of one sort or another ever since. always in the right pocket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Boy Scout knife, two dollars in quarters, match book
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Clackers
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, I read the thread title and before I opened it, the first thing that came to mind was The Frito Bandito eraser. In 74, you weren't shit if you didn't have them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#22]
In the mid 70's my 10 year old self would have had a pocketknife of some sort and whatever bits of metal parts I picked up off the street that day.  

I still have a lot of those pieces today.

My ma used to HATE patching up my pants pockets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I dragged this thing everywhere. We lived in a place with mountains and canyons all around, so I used it to examine all kinds of stuff that I would find on my way to and from school. I spent countless hours looking through that wonderful little contraption.

I also carried a metal Band-Aid box filled with all sorts of handy goodies including a small magnifying glass, foil, matches, a needle & thread, some nylon twine, fishing line and a few hooks, a little pocket knife and, of course, some Band-Aids.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#24]
At about 10 years old.....I carried a pocket knife (about 2" blade).

One day after an "incident."   Well, I learned that carrying it was a bad idea for me.  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]
i carried either a pocket knife marked USN my mom gave me or a cheapo red handled pocket knife my dad gave me... $10... i always had to have $10 in my pocket... that's all i can remember...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#26]
folding knife.
fixed blade knife.
matches.
lighter.
snot rag.
money.
couple .22 shells.
some firecrckers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]
5th grade I usually had my brother's boy scout pocket knife(he was in the army and let me use it), a couple of AA batteries, a 9-volt battery, some flashlight bulbs. In a film container I had some tracer discs, a few washers, a motor or two from a slot car set, a throwaway shooter, and however many marbles I could jam in on top of that mess. Had the film container and batteries in a vinyl marble pouch along with about 50 feet of nylon string, about 10 feet of uninsulated copper wire coiled up on a piece of cardboard, a little glass food coloring jar filled with seed beads that came off an indian beadwork belt, and an assortment of magnets.

By 7th grade I'd dumped some of the kiddy stuff and added a bic lighter and a dummy round I'd made with a .30-06 bullet I pulled and inserted into a .30 mauser case.   It looked wicked and none of the other guys could figure out what kind of gun it went to.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#28]
At that age I carried about 7-8 different knives just for fun. Sometimes I'd carry a whip through my denim jacket sleeves. 

I was kind of a badass 

(proven by my two girlfriends beating the hell out of each other over me... been a while since that's happened 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Boy Scout knife.
View Quote
This and I also always had some sort of instrument to launch a projectile.

Usually a slingshot.  Used to shoot birds cans.

My favorite slingshot use was to try and shoot our paper kites out of the sky

We would repair them with tape and see who could keep theirs in flying condition the longest
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q62CKEI carried something like this at school… I remember some kid was giving me shit and I hit him over the head with it a few times, worked well.
View Quote
I've used those as a defensive weapon several times on the Ambulance, caved my favorite one in on some jackass's head one night in the back of the truck
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#32]
A real Victorinox spartan knife (found by my older brother in a fishing dock, who got bored of it pretty fast and I ended up permanently borrowing it from him)
One of those cheap "rambo" knives that I still have.
Mi casio watch.
A GE walkie talkie, big, gray, that had a battery compartment big enough to stash a Bazooka gum for emergencies.
These!:
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Cub Scout knife, yo-yo, permanent match I bought at some hippie shop, latest issue of Mad magazine. Laughed so hard my mom thought something was wrong with me. Simpler times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cub Scout knife, yo-yo, permanent match I bought at some hippie shop, latest issue of Mad magazine. Laughed so hard my mom thought something was wrong with me. Simpler times.
View Quote
I forgot about Mad Magazine(!)  'always had one of those in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I was proud as hell of my Buck swiss army knife. Carried that to school with me every day even after I almost got suspended for it
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Swiss Army knife.  MAD magazine maybe.  A couple Marvel comic books.  Super ball as mentioned before, for sure.  Pocket change for dime store candy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Matchbox car (My favorite was a black stock car that I have a repro of sitting here on my desk).
Bic lighter (probably stolen from my mom).
House key and key for my bike lock
Change, maybe a dollar or two.
Baseball cards, Wacky Packages and/or Garbage pail kids
Casio calculator watch on a sweatband. I was such a painfully skinny kid that even kid sized watch bands didn't fit my little twig arms.

I was absolutely not allowed to carry any toy guns or a pocket knife. My dad had too many horror stories about kids with toy guns or real knives being shot by cops (yeah, even back then). I had and was allowed to play with/use both but they weren't allowed off the property.

This would have been around 1983.

Now EDC for the average 10 year old is:
Ipod touch, Ipad or mom/dad's old iphone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Barlow pocket knife, squashed pennies we'd laid on the RR tracks, carbide cannon, Crossman air rifle, superballs, slingshot, dimes for the arcade, cap gun, fiberglass bow and arrows, bubble gum, pressurized water rockets, Estes model rockets, Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars, Star Wars figures, He-Man figures, Smurfs, baseball and glove, Diamondback bike, and nails... precious, scavenged nails to build treehouses, come to mind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Marbles, stones, shit we found lying around, firecrackers, and when they were re-roofong the school, a chunk of tar to chew on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Ten years old in 1981. I had and still have a Benjamin 347 my grandfather bought me a couple years earlier. I wasn't strong enough to give her the full 8 pumps but four worked for most everything I shot at which was just about everything. A plastic flip top box of Crosman pellets and that old air rifle and I was gone. It was a faithful companion for a long time. I learned that iron sights are capable of very good accuracy very young shooting it. Best of all, my hero gave it to me and not a day passes that I don't think of him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#41]

I would have had a pack of Ugly Stickers...

and a Barlow, since I was too big for my little Case knife (which I still have).

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#42]
circa 1980
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I dragged this thing everywhere. We lived in a place with mountains and canyons all around, so I used it to examine all kinds of stuff that I would find on my way to and from school. I spent countless hours looking through that wonderful little contraption.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/164/0/14177550/il_570xN.1101337566_1vyu.jpg

I also carried a metal Band-Aid box filled with all sorts of handy goodies including a small magnifying glass, foil, matches, a needle & thread, some nylon twine, fishing line and a few hooks, a little pocket knife and, of course, some Band-Aids.
View Quote
I no longer have the box or the slides, but I still have that same exact microscope. It's in the "male" half of the china cabinet along with old Marx civil war toys, fossils, motorcycle show trophies, old German rangefinder cameras, glass plate holographs, 16th century books, old knives, etc.

The female half has actual china in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I carried these about during the summers when I was 8 to 11 years old.

Very rural area. My dad gave me the bayonet, and I loved that old thing, wish I still had it. Good times forever gone.................

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#45]
TMNT original movie stickers for my sticker book, Cub Scout Swiss army knife, quarters for the arcade, pennies and nickels run over flat by a freight train, some Black Cats, bottle rockets, and a half burnt punk, and one cedar wood sling shot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#46]
MARBLES 50s-60s.  A lot of disputes settled with marbles.  I still have them
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had Nam jungle boots that fit my ten year old foot perfectly and a bayonet that fit who knows what. 1973.
View Quote
Nam jungle boots....I had WW2 surplus leather, size 9's, by God.  :)  Pissed me off after my feet outgrew them.  

The Nam jungles were cool, but I thought the WW2's were a little cooler.

Always grinned when dad took me to the Army Surplus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#49]
10?

Always....a boy scout knife. A knife I kept until I was 17 and some asshole broke in my uncle's truck and stole it and everything of any value stowed in the cab while we all floated a creek on inner tubes.

Optional?....change, magnifying glass, book of matches, marbles, hot wheels car, trading cards of some sort (not for trading, but for making bike spoke motors), maybe a lizard or frog or bug, bubble gum, rocks or buck shot fodder for my wrist rocket or any random doodad I found walking around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
CRAP! I'm really OLD

I remember when one day of Grade School we all assembled in the cafeteria for the Duncan YOYO salesmen
to show up.  That was a fun day.

SUPER BALLS were pretty awesome too!
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top