Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Use your harvest right freeze dryer and pack with ground beef.  Maybe a little change up and a few snickers.

I have a friend who climbs mountains.  He has summited Kilimanjaro He pretty much just packs snickers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get it ?

You are carrying a bucket backpacking for 7 days

Just haul the food up a tree in a scent proof pack
View Quote

Doesn't even have to be scent proof, just hang it away from camp
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Get rid of the bucket, that's stupid.

https://ursack.com/

I use a ursack. It's easy and convenient.

That or use the PCT method with a bag of some sort. 550 cord, a carabiner, and your sleeping bag stuff sack is all you need.
View Quote

That works in the low country.

I spent two weeks alone in the back country, in the high tundra in Denali National Park.

The bear can is a non-negotiable requirement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How many doughnuts in a liter?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Personally I would go with the Counter Assault or the bigger BearVault (both around 9-10 liter). The smaller 7 liter BV would be too small for me for 7 days. (Yeah, you could fill it with pemmican or some kind of boring goop, but why?)

The Counter Assault will actually hold enough food for a normal-large size dude for a week. If you're gonna go with Mountain House or Backcountry Pantry for your main meal, then be sure to supplement it with some extra calories.  Peanut butter in heavy duty ziplocks is a good space filler for the voids in the can. I'd also go with nuts and other small stuff in bags.

Yeah the can is gonna weigh 3.5 lbs or so, but sounds like you're stuck with the weight of a hard can anyways.
View Quote

Iirc, the container was about 2lbs.

I'm a fan of the dehydrated peanut powder, so long as water is readily available. Can add to lots of stuff for extra protein.

I'm generally not a huge fan of freeze dried as a staple. I'll sometimes take a MH beef stroganoff as a treat.

I'm not picky and don't get burnt out too easily except on sweet stuff. Cliff bars and energy gels....adventure racing killed them for me.

I can eat jerky, cheese, and steel cut oats with salt and bacon grease every day for a week, easy.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Brown bears aren't necessarily more dangerous than Black bears.  
We spent 2 wks above the Arctic Circle before the invention of these...  "buckets".  
So what?  

Pack light.  Min heavy fats.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My Ursack is 10L and will fit five days of food for two (two oatmeals per breakfast, Peak meals for the others, and a shitload of Sourpatch kids).

The calorie deficit is a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d cram in as many freeze dried meals as I can. Peak Refuel, good to go, heathers choice. Maybe some ramen. Trail mix, Fritos, and ritz, Peanut butter m&ms to fill up empty space. Maybe a few ounces of olive oil to up the cal/oz if I need it. Summer sausage if somehow you still have room. I usually only eat dinner when backpacking with snacks throughout the day.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Brown bears aren't necessarily more dangerous than Black bears.  
We spent 2 wks above the Arctic Circle before the invention of these...  "buckets".  
So what?  

Pack light.  Min heavy fats.
View Quote

Fats are some of the lightest calories you can carry.

Defining "Ultralight" Food for Backpacking and Bug Out Bags

This vid is well worth your time if you carry food.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use your harvest right freeze dryer and pack with ground beef.  Maybe a little change up and a few snickers.

I have a friend who climbs mountains.  He has summited Kilimanjaro He pretty much just packs snickers.
View Quote
For me, hot food is a less negotiable item than a rope when on a mountain.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
View Quote

Hunter Thompson has entered the chat…..
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Knorr pasta and rice meals, Idahoan instant potatoes and grits.  Supplement that with some fajita and taco seasoning, some powdered gravy, some powdered milk, some coco mix or similar, and that's about it.  No need to overthink it.  It's 7 days.  Not 70.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Wrap everything in tortillas and add olive or coconut oil.
Read up on JMT food planning blogs, lots of info on packing bear cans.

Food                           Calories/serving
Tortilla                    80
PB M&Ms                   150
Snickers bar            250
Almonds - 1 oz          164
Trade Joe's Coconut Oil Packet   120
Olive Oil Packets   90
Mayo packet                10
Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter 200
Cashews - 1 oz          157
Walnuts - 1 oz          185
Spam Single Slice  260
Tuna Creations          120
Protein Bars of choice  260
Jack Links Beef Sausages - 1 oz    140
Peanut Butter - 1 oz   167
Jelly Packet                   60
Trader Joes Instant 3in1 Coffee    50
Epic Bars                   120
Babybel Cheese            70
Sports Beans or Jelly Beans           100
sriracha packets                               5
Peak Refuel - repackage in Ziplock         680
Instant Mashed Potatoes - 1/4 cup dry    110
Bacon Bits - 1 oz                      135
KFC Butter Flavored Packet          30
Probar Meal Bar              350
Instant Oatmeal Packet w/sugar            115
Dried Mango - 1 oz     140
Pringles - crushed     143
Electrolyte Drink Mix        30
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Just do a 7 day keto fast WTF.

But probably like trail mix/nuts, seeds, nut butters, instant oatmeal, seaweed, tortillas to wrap stuff in.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Also for snacking, while not great, those SOS liferaft rations are easy calories. Most protein bars are better though
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is a very nice, extraordinarily giving person.  But he is without a doubt different.  I do not subscribe to his dietary theories in any way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fresh food for the first two days, mountain house and shelf stable stuff for the rest.
View Quote

Mtn house sucks.  Try Peak for your dehydrated meals.  It’s way good!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fresh food for the first two days, mountain house and shelf stable stuff for the rest.

Peak meals are great, especially the bison, elk and venison they had for a bit, I stocked way up on those.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
A few tips and meal ideas I use backpacking:

To reduce volume, crush the food and vacuum seal it.  One of my go to backpacking foods is Fritos because it is extremely high in calories to weight (474 calories per gram).  Packing a bag as it comes from the store would be impractical.  Smash it down, then vacuum seal it and it greatly reduces the volume.  I like to eat them with some rehydrated refried beans and meat (with oil added to boost calories).  Fritos also make an excellent fire starter.

Use bulk freeze dried vegetables and meat.  Costs way less than prepackaged meals, and you can mix with other items that are more calorie dense. Portion out what you need, vacuum seal it to reduce volume.

Use oil (like olive oil, avocado oil) - 880 calories per 100g.  Easy to pack.  I use it to to mix in rehydrated refried beans.  Adds fat and flavor.  Put in a flour tortilla (287 calories per 100g - they are easy to pack because they are flat and can bend/be folded) with some rehydrated meat (again with oil added to boost calories).

Granola mixed with dehydrated milk.  Add hot water and let sit for an easy hot breakfast.  471 calories per 100g

Make your own trail mix.  I like peanut M&Ms with dried fruit, raw almonds, cashews and coconut. About 525 calories per 100g.  

Ramen noodles are about 436 calories per 100g cooked. They are already pretty compact.  Add oil when cooking to boost the calories.  Add some dehydrated carrrots, peas, onion and chicken for a little more flavor and protein.

For your first day’s meals, don’t pack them in the bear container.  You will be eating them anyway before you turn down.  That will save room in the container for other items.

7 day trip, 90 liter pack - no problem getting everything you need in there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't get it ?

You are carrying a bucket backpacking for 7 days

Just haul the food up a tree in a scent proof pack
View Quote

Or just a heavy plastic trash bag. It is what we did....
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's sad. I've spent decades backpacking on the east coast with no requirements.
View Quote

It's not a requirement due to black bears. I was backpacking in the southeast corner of Yellowstone and I was checking out my permit that corner of the park was closed due to a bear attack.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I was right at 2lbs of food per day for my backpack elk hunt last year.  I focused on things that were durable, and things I would actually eat when I felt like shit.  I used Peak 1 meals, honey stingers, bobo bars, and things like that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
7l of butter bourbon. Or olive oil rye, whichever.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A few tips and meal ideas I use backpacking:

To reduce volume, crush the food and vacuum seal it.  One of my go to backpacking foods is Fritos because it is extremely high in calories to weight (474 calories per gram).  Packing a bag as it comes from the store would be impractical.  Smash it down, then vacuum seal it and it greatly reduces the volume.  I like to eat them with some rehydrated refried beans and meat (with oil added to boost calories).  Fritos also make an excellent fire starter.

Use bulk freeze dried vegetables and meat.  Costs way less than prepackaged meals, and you can mix with other items that are more calorie dense. Portion out what you need, vacuum seal it to reduce volume.

Use oil (like olive oil, avocado oil) - 880 calories per 100g.  Easy to pack.  I use it to to mix in rehydrated refried beans.  Adds fat and flavor.  Put in a flour tortilla (287 calories per 100g - they are easy to pack because they are flat and can bend/be folded) with some rehydrated meat (again with oil added to boost calories).

Granola mixed with dehydrated milk.  Add hot water and let sit for an easy hot breakfast.  471 calories per 100g

Make your own trail mix.  I like peanut M&Ms with dried fruit, raw almonds, cashews and coconut. About 525 calories per 100g.  

Ramen noodles are about 436 calories per 100g cooked. They are already pretty compact.  Add oil when cooking to boost the calories.  Add some dehydrated carrrots, peas, onion and chicken for a little more flavor and protein.

For your first day’s meals, don’t pack them in the bear container.  You will be eating them anyway before you turn down.  That will save room in the container for other items.

7 day trip, 90 liter pack - no problem getting everything you need in there.
View Quote

Damn, can you imagine how much weight you could lose on a 7 day backpacking trip while fasting??  Probably 30-35 lbs.  The ultimate diet!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Anywho, I pack two mountain house meals a day, breakfast and dinner. For lunch I make a tortilla “sandwich” with cheese and cured meat I’d some sort, then vac seal it.

I then throw in whatever snacks I feel like to get me to 2800-3000 calories.

Oh, and don’t forget the Starbucks via. I also really like a liquid IV packet or two.

I then throw everything into a gallon ziplock bag and that’s a days worth of food.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was right at 2lbs of food per day for my backpack elk hunt last year.  I focused on things that were durable, and things I would actually eat when I felt like shit.  I used Peak 1 meals, honey stingers, bobo bars, and things like that.
View Quote

I do several 30+ mile hikes/year and agree that Peak Refuel and Stingers are awesome. Mountain House has some good options but Peak is more consistent. I’m also a big fan of chocolate bars and nuts, along with Gatorade powder mixed with BCAA powder.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Tortillas, tuna packets, peanut butter, summer sausage, baby bel cheese, pickles and snickers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I can do 7 days with a standard Garcia canister (10L)

I usually hike with my father so we each carry all our own breakfasts/lunches/trail snacks, but we both split the dinners since we share them.

First day you can leave out of the bear canister.

Breakfast= 2 Quaker oat packs, raw sugar packets for toppings.  All opened put in a single ziplock bag for each day, air squeezed out to maintain space.

Lunch= 4oz pouch of tuna, packet of mayo, packet of relish, salt, pepper.  Keebler club crackers, Oreo six pack.  Can use chicken or other pouched meats.

Dinner= usually Lipton pasta sides, or idahoan mashed potatoes.and rehydrated meat of choice.  Potatoes can be turned in to soup easily.  Again all transferred to ziplock bags and air removed.

Daily trail snacks= baggy of jerky, a fruit leather or two, bag of nuts.  Gatorade mix for a nalgene in addition to my water bladder. Energy gel packs if it's a good uphill day.

Special treats= baby bell cheese, summer sausage, powdered hummus(usually have a small bottle of oil for that and frying fish) and tortillas as bread or for hummus as it stores flat. Ritter sport chocolate squares.

Also usually bring a baggy of flour and Cajun spice for frying fish one night if there is fishing along the way. And a bottle of hot sauce
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Sardines in olive oil w/ some hot sauce, beef jerky, and a bunch of assorted nuts mixed with chocolate coated espresso beans.  Sweet potato tots in a zip-loc bag are also a secret weapon of mine for high-output physical activity.  All of these foods provide a ton of usable energy to the body, and will allow you to feel full and satisfied while making it pretty easy to also stay in a calorie deficit.  Honorable mention for the whole avocado too, but that might be a tough food to bring backpacking due to how fast they go bad and how messy they are to cut up and eat.  Insanely good fuel for the body though!  High protein is good, but high protein + high fat + high potassium = moar better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Just don’t store it in a Raptor, trust me
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've Hunted and spent the night on the dentist populated brown bear island in the world. Nothing changes.
View Quote

Why do dentists live on an island with bears?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's sad. I've spent decades backpacking on the east coast with no requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you backpack in Yellowstone or The Tetons they require a bear proof vault to be shown at check in before you pick up your permit. Anywhere else just stick to hanging it. It has to be on a pre approved list. Guessing they get a lot of backpackers that would show up and eat in their tent and such.

Eastern High Peak zone of the ADK requires them from April to  November
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Watch this video.   Link to pdf in description.  Download and print.  Amazing work!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why do dentists live on an island with bears?
View Quote

Ever see a bear brush his teeth?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've Hunted and spent the night on the dentist populated brown bear island in the world. Nothing changes.
View Quote

You hunted Afognak?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here, although I'd lean more towards Peak Refuel over Mt house.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
View Quote

Bear Country

Not Bat Country
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#39]

This was 5 days worth, could have easily repackaged the fruit an got 2 more days worth of food in the can.  

But I was doing BWCA, not backpacking.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A 30 pack of beer and fill the gaps with slim jims

View Quote
Actually the plastic bottle(s) pint of jack daniels is ideal for this type of camping.  You can burn them when you are done.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looked at the ursack. Still limited on volume. Save about 1.5 pounds. Not universally recognized. Some places don't have trees.

Hell, we struggled to find a damn horizontal limb 12 ft off the ground in Red River Gorge KY one night.
View Quote

Honestly I tried to make my ursack work as a primary food storage container in my pack. It never seemed to work. Now I store the empty ursack in the pack during the day. Every days food is in its own ziplock and gets crammed into the empty corners of the pack. The food only goes in the ursack at night
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Some reflective tape will make the canister easier to find. A bear could move it around before getting bored.

No solid advice from me on packing or carrying it. Be sure to also put your toothbrush & toothpaste in there. I have a Garcia but haven’t camped in bear country for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Get rid of the bucket, that’s stupid.

https://ursack.com/

I use a ursack. It’s easy and convenient.

That or use the PCT method with a bag of some sort. 550 cord, a carabiner, and your sleeping bag stuff sack is all you need.
View Quote

I bought 3 of those for our upcoming BWCA trip for $75 each on Amazon.  I got lucky.  The next day they were back up to $150.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's talk that they're going to require a bear can for part of the AT starting next year. I'm not looking forward to that because I'm taking a shot at doing the trail next year. They just closed part of the trail in NC because of a rogue mother bear with cubs
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not that we'd need that for the 7 day hike, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as it will go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Black cats, roman candles, screaming mimis?
Lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, crap flappers?
Whistling bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honky lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

[sorry for shittying up a worthwhile thread]
I actually like the Mountain House meals, I'd probably try to focus mainly on them because of weight but the size may be an issue since they're packed with air also. Is that why some of you guys are re-bagging them?
I'd also try to pack some Spam singles, and some of the foil tuna pouches (or the premixed tuna salad/chicken salad ones). Stuff a few pop tarts in there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black cats, roman candles, screaming mimis?
Lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, crap flappers?
Whistling bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honky lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

[sorry for shittying up a worthwhile thread]
I actually like the Mountain House meals, I'd probably try to focus mainly on them because of weight but the size may be an issue since they're packed with air also. Is that why some of you guys are re-bagging them?
I'd also try to pack some Spam singles, and some of the foil tuna pouches (or the premixed tuna salad/chicken salad ones). Stuff a few pop tarts in there too.

When I was a kid, freeze dried foods were vacuum packed in the foil pouches. I remember dad having a bunch of the scrunched up, brick hard, MH (iirc) meals the size of your fist.

Yeah, they are bulky now. Also, not very calorie dense per weight.

There are a several factors at play when choosing food. Calories per pound
Need for water
Palatability
Type of calorie
Convenience/time to prepare/shit you need to prepare it

And with the hard constraint of a bear container: calories per liter.

If water is plentiful, dehydrated food is great. If not, no harm in carrying calorie dense, "heavy" foods like fats. See the video I posted. "Lightweight" foods aren't nessecarily light when viewed through the calories-per-pound filter. I was as surprised as anyone, after watching the material and thinking about it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some reflective tape will make the canister easier to find. A bear could move it around before getting bored.

No solid advice from me on packing or carrying it. Be sure to also put your toothbrush & toothpaste in there. I have a Garcia but haven’t camped in bear country for 30+ years.
View Quote

I'm not a tech geek, but it seems like that would be an excellent application of those airpod tracker things, if you had an iPhone. The boy has them on everything important or valuable.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not a tech geek, but it seems like that would be an excellent application of those airpod tracker things, if you had an iPhone. The boy has them on everything important or valuable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

airtag would work if it was in range of an iphone... so 30ft is the range.  It will tell you if its near you, but i think it needs a few iphone pings to be more precision in locatoin.

So at Thousand Island Lake in the Sierras.. there is a lot of folks coming and going from there, lots of backpackers camping all day every day.

The bears there have learned to just walk through camp at night and simply knock over bear canisters.. because someone always forgets to or doesnt lock the lid down.

At the backpackers camp in Yosemite valley.. the bears there walk through camp and jiggle the bear locker doors knowing that folks sometimes dont lock them all the way.  One scored the night we were staying there.  The person had an Ursack... the Ursack worked, but literally everything inside was pulverized LOL.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top