[#1]
There really are no drop in 1911 parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 3:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Snaps:

Harrison Design drop in Extreme Service Ignition Parts kit......wait for it......Is drop in!   (I use it, love it, recommend it)

As are many slide stops, mainspring housings and other parts.

So not only did you fail to contribute to a phenomenal thread with your lame comment, you are also totally wrong.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 1:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#4]
I used the C&S CS208 drop-in kit in my SA Champion and it was indeed drop-in. I performed all function checks before firing it, and have since put several hundred rounds through it with no problems. It isn't the MARSOC kit I know, but the CS208 is close enough to the CS271B for comparison.

This is what I used:
Cylinder & Slide drop-in kit

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
What exactly are the Force Recon companies carrying nowadays as far as pistols go? Is it 50% m9a1s and 1911s or is it 100% 1911s? I was under the impression it was a split between the Beretta and 1911.

Got pics?

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:15:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#6]
Originally Posted By Thorgrim:

Harrison Design drop in Extreme Service Ignition Parts kit......wait for it......Is drop in!   (I use it, love it, recommend it)

So not only did you fail to contribute to a phenomenal thread with your lame comment, you are also totally wrong.

You're the only person I've heard of trying it that actually had it drop pin without a good amount of fitting. So congrats, you contributed by being absolutely lucky, assumed you know what your'e talking about when clearly you don't and actually made an ass out of yourself. Good job fella. If you need any further knowledge I'll be glad to help you out. Since youre gun obviously has very loose tolerances I assume you'll be wanting help as time goes on.

EDIT: Sorry, if I count the few hunred people or so I've seen tried drop in parts on the 1911 forum you'll make about 5 that have had it drop in. Be happy for yourself and play the lottery a lot
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Thorgrim:

You're the only person I've heard of trying it that actually had it drop pin without a good amount of fitting. So congrats, you contributed by being absolutely lucky, assumed you know what your'e talking about when clearly you don't and actually made an ass out of yourself. Good job fella. If you need any further knowledge I'll be glad to help you out. Since youre gun obviously has very loose tolerances I assume you'll be wanting help as time goes on.

EDIT: Sorry, if I count the few hunred people or so I've seen tried drop in parts on the 1911 forum you'll make about 5 that have had it drop in. Be happy for yourself and play the lottery a lot

I agree.  I'm the one who bought a C&S drop in hammer/sear kit and it made my 1911 go full auto.  A FA 1911 has an absurd rate of fire, something like 1500 rpm.  FWIW, the 1911 I put it in was a 1983 Colt, so I think there's a pretty good chance that the problem was due to poor QC on the Colt Frame; the holes might have been off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 12:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#8]
I've installed about a dozen or so fire control kits in guns for people. The couple that have seemed to fit nicely wouldn't work with a thumb safety installed. Usually they won't work at all and need fitted. Never had one go auto though.... I think that'd be.......interesting?
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I've installed about a dozen or so fire control kits in guns for people. The couple that have seemed to fit nicely wouldn't work with a thumb safety installed. Usually they won't work at all and need fitted. Never had one go auto though.... I think that'd be.......interesting?

No, not really interesting. Kinda fun, but mostly alot of swearing afterward. My first 1911 did it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:24:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb0311] [#10]

It gets everyone's attention, and then you have to act cool, like you totally meant for it to happen.  Mine wasn't pure FA, it was firing 3 and 4 round bursts in between single shots.  4 rounds with a normal two handed grip and it's basically a mortar.  There's a reason Baby Face Nelson had a gangster grip on his.

ETA: I think if you had large mits that thing would give you some evil hammer bite.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
There's a reason Baby Face Nelson had a gangster grip on his.

cause he was a gangster?

that is one of the oddest things I've ever seen.. But I like it.

on another note, I just don't want people using bad information and getting in way over their heads to the point where it could be dangerous and expensive to them just because some fool on the internet told them it was good to go cause he wanted to sound cool.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#12]
This is not a replica.  This is a Yost-Bonitz Custom Enhanced G.I.  It has some striking similarities that I noticed when going through this thread.  So I decided to add some Pachmayr 45C grips...

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a reason Baby Face Nelson had a gangster grip on his.

cause he was a gangster?

that is one of the oddest things I've ever seen.. But I like it.

on another note, I just don't want people using bad information and getting in way over their heads to the point where it could be dangerous and expensive to them just because some fool on the internet told them it was good to go cause he wanted to sound cool.

I agree 100%.

IF ANYONE WITH A BADGE IS READING THIS I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT MY FA 1911 WAS AN ACCIDENT.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one go FA in the eighties.  I empties a mag real fast.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
FA 1911s have nothing to do with this thread
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]

does the pistol in the first picture have a recessed or flush slide stop? not sure if thats what its called
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 12:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#17]

I do believe that's an optical illusion and just looks like there's a recess cut in there.

so when's the date they're supposed to figure this colt vs springer thing out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
have you guys seen this dudes blog about how he built a meusoc 1911?

its pretty good.  

http://www.readycitizen.com/meusoc-45-pistol
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By garretts1776:

does the pistol in the first picture have a recessed or flush slide stop? not sure if thats what its called

Could be one of the Pros that made it into the system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Originally Posted By garretts1776:

Could be one of the Pros that made it into the system.

Thats what I was wondering
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JCG4:
This is not a replica.  This is a Yost-Bonitz Custom Enhanced G.I.  It has some striking similarities that I noticed when going through this thread.  So I decided to add some Pachmayr 45C grips...

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/Jbyrdhawaii/Untitled.jpg

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/Jbyrdhawaii/DSCF2494.jpg

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/Jbyrdhawaii/DSCF2500.jpg

That is one mighty fine pistol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My Sistema-frame / Springfield Milspec slide based Var. 3 clone work in progress:

I just got back a lot of the components where they were in involuntary storage, and I haven't had a chance to fully clean it up.  

Slide work, Millet and PWS sight install were done by Dave Berryhill, as was all of the serial number stamping to match the frame to the components.  Dave also did the Les Baer serrated mainspring housing with lanyard loop.  

King's #201A thumb safety with matched serial numbers, Berryhill Commander Hammer, and Clark's grip safety.  

Another view of the other side with a good view of the rear of the Berryhill PWS-replica rear sight.

Serrated MSH with lanyard loop.

Needless to say, there's a lot of work left to be done, moreso because I started with a rougher finished (but mechanically sound and perfect) Sistema frame - I wanted something with a little more... "spirit" and a GI-spec frame to work with, but I didn't want to pay out for a Colt USGI repro, nor did I want to start hacking on a real USGI frame, no matter how "correct" of a clone it would have made.  

The "roughness" in appearance has been even more pronounced after two years in storage.  

There's still a decent amount of work to be done, but at least I have mostly all of the parts, and they can be assembled into a functional pistol.  I had originally planned to do all the work myself, but a couple of changes in my situation might make it difficult for me to find time to finish it up on my own, and I may end up out-sourcing the completion.  

Still left to do:

General "clean up," I had only finished "rough fitting" of the grip safety and just begun chewing out the beveled magwell when it went into storage.  I'm not concerned about the GS fit looking "custom perfect," we're going for a PWS-style fit here, but there are still visible tool marks that need to be smoothed out!  

I'm also planning to swap out the currently installed FCG with a Cylinder & Slide ignition kit, going for this look:

With the Var. 4 hammer on the Var. 3 pistol - the current FCG is basically my own bench stock roughly fitted since I've been planning on the C&S kit from basically day one - but it functions safely for the moment at least.  

I'd also like to eventually install a blackened Bar-Sto barrel to replace the stock SA Milspec barrel.  

Also, the top left grip bushing has stripped out, so I'll need to install an oversixe bushing (most likely) in its position.  

Finally, I'm trying to decide whether to simply replace and re-fit a new extractor, or to simply grind down and blend the SA extractor currently installed.  

Again - she's far from finished, and all the parts are currently only "coarse-fit" at best, if it weren't for my excitement for finally getting her back and roughly "mocked up"  and functionally put together, I would've waited to post pics!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I've still have an old Clark grip safety in a parts box, my first when Clark and Pachs were all that was offered.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Augee:
My Sistema-frame / Springfield Milspec slide based Var. 3 clone work in progress:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/790596ba.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/9e8065ed.jpg

I just got back a lot of the components where they were in involuntary storage, and I haven't had a chance to fully clean it up.  

Slide work, Millet and PWS sight install were done by Dave Berryhill, as was all of the serial number stamping to match the frame to the components.  Dave also did the Les Baer serrated mainspring housing with lanyard loop.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/87a64633.jpg

King's #201A thumb safety with matched serial numbers, Berryhill Commander Hammer, and Clark's grip safety.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/8d275ca2.jpg

Another view of the other side with a good view of the rear of the Berryhill PWS-replica rear sight.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/d8cddb26.jpg

Serrated MSH with lanyard loop.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/a044132a.jpg

Needless to say, there's a lot of work left to be done, moreso because I started with a rougher finished (but mechanically sound and perfect) Sistema frame - I wanted something with a little more... "spirit" and a GI-spec frame to work with, but I didn't want to pay out for a Colt USGI repro, nor did I want to start hacking on a real USGI frame, no matter how "correct" of a clone it would have made.  

The "roughness" in appearance has been even more pronounced after two years in storage.  

There's still a decent amount of work to be done, but at least I have mostly all of the parts, and they can be assembled into a functional pistol.  I had originally planned to do all the work myself, but a couple of changes in my situation might make it difficult for me to find time to finish it up on my own, and I may end up out-sourcing the completion.  

Still left to do:

General "clean up," I had only finished "rough fitting" of the grip safety and just begun chewing out the beveled magwell when it went into storage.  I'm not concerned about the GS fit looking "custom perfect," we're going for a PWS-style fit here, but there are still visible tool marks that need to be smoothed out!  

I'm also planning to swap out the currently installed FCG with a Cylinder & Slide ignition kit, going for this look:

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/m45_close_quarters_combat_pistol_meusoc-tfb.jpg

With the Var. 4 hammer on the Var. 3 pistol - the current FCG is basically my own bench stock roughly fitted since I've been planning on the C&S kit from basically day one - but it functions safely for the moment at least.  

I'd also like to eventually install a blackened Bar-Sto barrel to replace the stock SA Milspec barrel.  

Also, the top left grip bushing has stripped out, so I'll need to install an oversixe bushing (most likely) in its position.  

Finally, I'm trying to decide whether to simply replace and re-fit a new extractor, or to simply grind down and blend the SA extractor currently installed.  

Again - she's far from finished, and all the parts are currently only "coarse-fit" at best, if it weren't for my excitement for finally getting her back and roughly "mocked up"  and functionally put together, I would've waited to post pics!  

~Augee

Augee, you the man. I love your taste for firearms
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Augee:

~Augee

Augee - great post.  Terrific looking pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ugotbit] [#26]
Has anyone seen a Variant 1 pistol, with the older slide, slightly lowered ejection port and cannons rear of port, with FCS?

I'm torn, I like FCS

I'm also torn on lowering and flaring the ejection port. As much as I want a accurate clone, I want something functional so I can shoot the park off it

ETA- My first page ownage deserves MEUSOC in action-

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I have been wanting to make one of these for a while. My current 1911 has a colt series 80 combat model slide on an Olympic frame. I have had it for 14 years or so it works pretty good. I am assuming this slide won't work, I have been looking for Springfield slides and can't find one.
Anyone have a lead on were to get one or a slide that will work just as good?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:13:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: accurange] [#28]
springfield slides seem to come up for sale at gunbroker.com every once in a while. also check out ebay ,i was able to pick up a few pws rear sights ,and correct millet serrated singlestake single stake front sights there for my builds. the pws rear sights were found accidently by searching for 1911 rear sights. hope this helps.      ebay# 290705183344
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By accurange:
springfield slides seem to come up for sale at gunbroker.com every once in a while. also check out ebay ,i was able to pick up a few pws rear sights ,and correct millet serrated singlestake single stake front sights there for my builds. the pws rear sights were found accidently by searching for 1911 rear sights. hope this helps.      ebay# 290705183344

Man, you and a few others here have lucked out with the PWS sights! I look all the time and never find them

I have been lucky to find the rest of the hard to find stuff, the rear sight is my missing link!

Any gunsmiths want to make a small run
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#30]
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=220476

1918 Colt 1911 WW1 .45 USMC Issue

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#31]

Originally Posted By DannyGlover:

It has a MUCH later non-USGI hammer, short trigger, grip safety and thumb safety installed. Not enough details to be a MEUSOC, nor be a standard issue. BUBBA'd.
For about the same price, I'd bet I could find, and would rather use a Colt WWI M1911 commemorative re-issue as a base gun, assuming I didn't want to use a later A1 pattern frame.

This is what my 1918 Model of 1911 U.S. Army looks like:

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]

What does that gun have to do with this thread?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DannyGlover] [#33]

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

What does that gun have to do with this thread?

I knew this thread would bring some good information.

Was wondering what you guys thought. It definitely is not what the ad says it is.

GunnyG - Thanks for the pic your 1918 looks much better and unlike that ad doesn't set off any WTF alarms

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#35]
i would love to get my hands on one for my gun collection.  thanks for the post
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#37]
A tiny drop of additional information from Gear Scout on the Colt selection.  Looks like some of the Colt parts are subcontracted out?

In any case, looks like the winner is on the right...

Still curious to see why it beat out the SA MC Operator, and whether or not it is Series 70...hope to see more information on the competition.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BJT72] [#38]
Sub-contracted parts = magazines and sights.  It is 80 series.  
Brent
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Great news on the Colt.
Bad news for the consumer. The wait time will be epic now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
Great news on the Colt.
Bad news for the consumer. The wait time will be epic now.

This.  im glad they selected one if this turns out to be accurate info.  But I have been saving up for my 4th 1911 and my first with a rail.... looks like im gonna go with the MC operator simply because of the wait time on the Colt now...I wanted em both and didnt care with I got first, but this probably made my decision.  Even used ones will now be sold as "Colt Rail Gun, MEU(SOC) .45 pistol"
On another note, I cant wait to see pics of them in action
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shawnmt6601] [#41]
why are you guys worried about wait time?

they likely have not even started to make them yet and if they can turn out 5000 M4s a month I am sure they can handle 4000 rail guns plus the standard model.

the only problem will be guys that just have to have a clone causing asshat dealers to yank the price up

buy one of them already at a shop somewhere before news gets out

I can drive 10 minutes and buy a black finish rail gun for 1050 right now if I didnt already have one,   and 3 more in SS within a  20 minute drive.

Maybe I will get mine FDEd now haha

my accuracy testing

http://looserounds.com/2012/03/11/colt-rail-gun-1911-accuarcy-test/
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#42]

Good choice of the colt over the imbel south American import. But soldier systems doesn't strike me as a solid source, I mean what do soldiers have to do with Marines? :)
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#43]
BJT72 (Brent) works for Colt. Although he did not explicitly say anything about the contract, but his reply about rail gun subcontract parts and series 80 system is what was sent to Marines for test is very interesting. This is the first hand information directly from Colt employee. Thanks Brent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mlin:
BJT72 (Brent) works for Colt. Although he did not explicitly say anything about the contract, but his reply about rail gun subcontract parts and series 80 system is what was sent to Marines for test is very interesting. This is the first hand information directly from Colt employee. Thanks Brent.

Thanks!  Interesting indeed!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:
why are you guys worried about wait time?

they likely have not even started to make them yet and if they can turn out 5000 M4s a month I am sure they can handle 4000 rail guns plus the standard model.

the only problem will be guys that just have to have a clone causing asshat dealers to yank the price up

buy one of them already at a shop somewhere before news gets out
I can drive 10 minutes and buy a black finish rail gun for 1050 right now if I didnt already have one,   and 3 more in SS within a  20 minute drive.

Maybe I will get mine FDEd now haha

http://looserounds.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/005.jpg?w=300&h=224

my accuracy testing

http://looserounds.com/2012/03/11/colt-rail-gun-1911-accuarcy-test/

because I cant afford one yet and as soon as an official release is made, yes the prices will skyrocket IMO
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Can someone explain why the government is spending 22.5 million on 4000 colt rail guns

Over $5000 a piece seems a bit of a markup

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#47]
Can someone explain why the government is spending 22.5 million on 4000 colt rail guns

I don't know this, simply asking the same question you are.  But, does that $22.5mil include spare/replacement parts? magazines? etc?
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By coregon:

I don't know this, simply asking the same question you are.  But, does that $22.5mil include spare/replacement parts? magazines? etc?

That better be a lot of replacement parts and a box of magazines per pistol. For $5000 a piece you would think they could fire the armorers and rely on a colt service guarantee like the rest of us

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#49]

That better be a lot of replacement parts and a box of magazines per pistol. For $5000 a piece you would think they could fire the armorers and rely on a colt service guarantee like the rest of us

I would bet money that the USMC Colts will get a LOT more hand work than one you our I would buy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#50]

The cost over the 4 years of Future Year Defense Program that this acquisition is set to take is under 10 million to achieve the acquisition objective

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top